Forum Settings
Forums

why do newer anime fans take pride in disliking popular or objectively good anime?

New
5 hours ago

Jul 2024
why do a lot of newer anime fans(from 2021-present) like to be elitist and contrarian for no reason?
5 hours ago

Nov 2023
Because the whole internet is just an Echo Chamber to dislike anything popular. they must be non-conformist and unique
5 hours ago

Jan 2021
I guess it all of the above. I myself am more newly into anime, started in 2020, and have mostly stuck to Seinen. Which I mean makes sense as when I was getting into anime I was eating what I liked. I mean there were some Shonen I watched - mostly older shows like FMAB, Death Note, HxH and now Yu Yu Hakusho.

Oh also I was in my early 20s when I got into anime... so that defiantly steered me in watching shows like Berserk, Psycho Pass, Monster, Fate/Zero, Ergo Proxy and so on as those shows were more aimed for my age range. Those shows also are more complicated which again I was moving away from the more simple black and white morality in western nerd culture. Marvel, Star Wars and so on had all become very formulaic and predictable when I shifted into anime.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
5 hours ago

Jul 2024
because they ( most of the time) seek attention
What you see is what you get
Sorry my English is not the best
5 hours ago

Sep 2016
Because they wanna be liked by elitists.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
5 hours ago

Dec 2022
There is no such thing as "objectively good" anime. Reception to any given anime series always comes down to personal preferences, feelings, beliefs and mindsets.

It seems like you're asking a loaded question with a false premise, to be honest. I get the impression that, if anything, newer anime fans are less likely to eschew mainstream anime than ever, especially as the industry has continued to pump out popular seasonal anime at a consistent enough rate that casual fans often never feel a real incentive to "explore".

I checked out a "Hidden Gems" thread the other day and seen anime like Blend-S, Charlotte, Oshi no Ko and Made in Abyss mentioned in it — that series as recognised as that are seriously considered obscure by some users tells you a lot about how front loaded anime popularity is nowadays. You'd think that any anime that falls below #50 in the popularity rankings may as well be some elusive cryptid.
Archean-Return4 hours ago

Shaded Horizon

5 hours ago

Nov 2021
I consider them and the ones who claims popular show to be objectively good in the same category, ie they are delusional attention seekers.
5 hours ago

May 2024
There's no such thing as objectively good anime. Most popular shows are not good and are carried by either nostalgia, recency bias, or production values.

Also you seem awfully insecure in your own opinion.
5 hours ago

Jul 2021
I am relatively new, I have been watching anime for probably not much more than 7 or 8 years but I kind of see the opposite I guess? I think people that got into anime recently are super obsessed with some older works, especially Berserk. Like half of the young guys in my gym have a Berserk tattoo, it's crazy how popular it is.
5 hours ago
Apr 2024
Because shonen is for teenagers and for some reason stories toward children/teenagers are bad and shonen is the most popular thing, look at how those same people are the ones to say AOT or HxH aren't shonen or say that x show they like is a deconstruction (there is only 1 anime I think can be argued to be deconstruction of something) to justify why it is good
4 hours ago

Apr 2024
They think that make them special (even if they don't know anything about anime like character development , they have a STRONG dunning-kruger effect)
4 hours ago

Mar 2024
Actually, i've been through this phase. Tho it wasn't because I hated any of the popular anime, I haven't even watched them when I was in this phase. The case was because there are a lot of underrated anime which get overlooked thanks to all of the popular anime. So I always kinda get pouty whenever I see my favourite underrated anime get lower ratings than those of mainstream ones. But then that emotion's gone when I watch the said popular anime and come to like them. So objectively I wouldn't call it hating, it's just rejecting the thought of having one's favorite anime less liked than every other popular anime.
4 hours ago

May 2019
because newer isekai animes sucks.
3 hours ago

Aug 2013
I see that people which are obsessed with 'social patting on a back' found a nice scapegoat - so called 'elitists'. I mean what else could they deal with unpleasant fact that popular isn't equal to quality. People gather in fan groups for a blind positivity and circle-jerking like mass elitists which oppose other fan groups. But it's always was easier for a group of people to bully some lonely quiet kid which sits in a corner of class with an excuse that he is just edgy/arrogant/elitist and deserve it, or else why would he avoid to be a part of group. I can see clearly insecurities in these people of group which can feel subconsciously that something isn't right but simply can't oppose to 'social acceptance' obsession.
3 hours ago

Jul 2013
Frankly, same to the people who try to bandwagon on the Isekai hate. It's just to join the "cool" kids table. Or something like that

3 hours ago

Aug 2020
"Objectively good"...

Alright...

2 hours ago

Sep 2018
I take pride in disliking some popular anime and liking some others. I take pride in disliking some "objectively good" anime and liking some others. I don't need a reason: if it's boring, it's boring.

2 hours ago
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Coz they are teenager and think its so edgy to be different than other until they will feel embarassed about stuff like it LMAOO

23 minutes ago

Jan 2018
while i did get turned off from listening to radio cause it was always nickelback, nickelodeon, nickel minaj, fault doesn't lie with nickelback for making catchy songs. they made success with it.

not sure how vanilla relates to disliking popular or good anime. the i'm unique behavior has been present since i first landed here though

More topics from this board

» Your Favorite Videogame-To-Anime Adaptations

Moshimochi284 - 11 hours ago

12 by Saku33 »»
4 minutes ago

» Lots of Donghua are just animated manhua?

zkl - 4 hours ago

3 by Sheol01 »»
5 minutes ago

» So is there any chance of any future anime taking 1 on MAL anymore? ( 1 2 3 )

00002019 - Nov 7, 2013

119 by hazecloud »»
5 minutes ago

» Does peoples are REALLY in love with their waifues or husbando?

Zakatsuki_ - 6 minutes ago

0 by Zakatsuki_ »»
6 minutes ago

» why is netorare/ntr so overhated?

based_reviewer - 5 hours ago

44 by mshfqtny »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.