Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 1, 9:36 AM

Nov 2009
It is rather clear to me at least she has some form of undiagnosed illness. Her over the top attitude would make sense in many anime but in this one where all other characters are very grounded and level headed for the most part she stands out. Not just stands out but over reacts. It could be she has ADHD or Bipolar where it is hard to control your emotions once you begin to feel passionate about something or overwhelmed and you can't control how you act unless you are able to stop and become aware of what you are doing. It is also the same with depression where if you are backed into a corner you could lash out. Depression, ADHD, and Bipolar have similar tendencies depending on the person. There is no clear cut of this is how a person with these disorders acts. It is not always ADHD people are hyper, they can suffer from regulating emotions. Depressed people aren't always the emo people who want to k*** themselves. Bipolar people aren't fluctuating emotions 24/7 and every 5 minutes.

I'm not going to say which one Nina has but contextually it makes sense. Her freak outs are usually when she is backed into a corner, when a person without one of these disorders will react and assess the situation, she does the opposite. She usually loses all control of her emotions, as though she is unable to regulate her actions afterwards and falls into a spiral.

I expect many people to disagree but as someone who knows people will these disorders it is not out of line with how she frequently acts.

Another topic all together and I don't want to touch on it but it is possible Momoka deals with depression. Just another observation based on how she keeps looping back onto topics that she starts beating herself over multiple times through out the series.
Jul 1, 9:46 AM
Jul 2021
she is and she is the best
Jul 1, 10:06 AM
Nov 2023
Good job Nina is fictional. Having people diagnosing your mental condition using google does more damage than good, although if you are a qualified psychoanalyst then say so first to qualify your statements. Otherwise seriously don’t bother, amateur experts on mental health are everywhere and they usually talk rubbish.
Jul 1, 10:20 AM

Nov 2009
Reply to FutoiOtaku
Good job Nina is fictional. Having people diagnosing your mental condition using google does more damage than good, although if you are a qualified psychoanalyst then say so first to qualify your statements. Otherwise seriously don’t bother, amateur experts on mental health are everywhere and they usually talk rubbish.
@FutoiOtaku thanks for your opinion its actually helpful. Anyone who does believe they do have issues should definitely consult an expert!!! This post is more of an appreciation as someone who suffers from one of the above and knows others that act this way with similar conditions. Its nice not having a show that plays these traits off as a joke. Should have definitely prefaced that part of not being an expert for sure!
Jul 1, 10:26 AM
Nov 2023
jaded-eagle said:
@FutoiOtaku thanks for your opinion its actually helpful. Anyone who does believe they do have issues should definitely consult an expert!!! This post is more of an appreciation as someone who suffers from one of the above and knows others that act this way with similar conditions. Its nice not having a show that plays these traits off as a joke. Should have definitely prefaced that part of not being an expert for sure!

The whole thing definitely makes more sense now you’re explained your own situation, I hope you are managing ok. Like you say, good professional help is always best, although sometimes there is too much dependence on drugs rather than therapy. Just understanding your condition is usually a big step forward. I myself am no expert though, so I’ve said enough! I just listen and encourage when friends are struggling, the professionals are the real way to go.
Jul 1, 10:56 AM
Jul 2022
im pretty sure if you look hard enough you can find various symptoms of various mental illnesses in most characters in anime
in the end its still fiction so characters behaving like a "normal" human being would be pretty boring
id say unless its clearly stated by the authors i wouldnt assume anything but obviously if you feel yourself represented in certain behaviors thats a beautiful (or not depending on the context haha) thing as well
Jul 1, 11:04 AM
Oct 2023
mobxmentality said:
im pretty sure if you look hard enough you can find various symptoms of various mental illnesses in most characters in anime
in the end its still fiction so characters behaving like a "normal" human being would be pretty boring
id say unless its clearly stated by the authors i wouldnt assume anything but obviously if you feel yourself represented in certain behaviors thats a beautiful (or not depending on the context haha) thing as well

I wouldn't say so. Plus, as the original poster stated, most of the characters in GBC are very simply done. They act as people do in real life. Taking this into account, I believe Nina is, in fact, supposed to be viewed as "different," and her actions make her evidently so. As a person who (VERY likely) has ADHD, I relate to her decision, or, perhaps, lack there of "decision-making skills." I think she's a good portrayal of such mental struggles.
Jul 1, 11:29 AM
Jul 2022
JuwairiyaU said:
mobxmentality said:

I wouldn't say so. Plus, as the original poster stated, most of the characters in GBC are very simply done. They act as people do in real life. Taking this into account, I believe Nina is, in fact, supposed to be viewed as "different," and her actions make her evidently so. As a person who (VERY likely) has ADHD, I relate to her decision, or, perhaps, lack there of "decision-making skills." I think she's a good portrayal of such mental struggles.

and as someone who has had diagnosed ADHD for over 20 years i couldnt always relate to her actions
im not saying you or op are in the wrong, there definetely is the possibility that she is supposed to be portrayed a certain way but i wouldnt just assume when the authors havent said anything about it, id rather just take things at face value

and again there is nothing wrong with theorizing about it obviously
Jul 1, 12:17 PM
Sep 2020
I mean Momoka literally wrote a song about her own struggles with depression, and how Nina and TogeToge changed that for her. And it seems very clear/likely that she struggles with that - at least through ep 8

As someone who has both bipolar 2 and ADHD, Nina's behavior wasn't directly relatable to my own experience or others I've known. She obviously has some serious C-PTSD from the bullying and Hina abandoning her, and her family situation, and we know she struggled with depression and suicide ideation after that. I can relate on the PTSD stuff.

I saw someone (who mentioned they have bpd) elsewhere say that Nina's behavior was very relatable and resembles some sort of personality disorder (may have said cluster-b? idrc). I don't know anything about that tho.

As others have said tho - she's a fictional character, and all we can really do is speculate. If someone sees themselves reflected/represented in Nina, then that's more meaningful, imo
Jul 1, 12:55 PM
Oct 2023
mobxmentality said:
JuwairiyaU said:

and as someone who has had diagnosed ADHD for over 20 years i couldnt always relate to her actions
im not saying you or op are in the wrong, there definetely is the possibility that she is supposed to be portrayed a certain way but i wouldnt just assume when the authors havent said anything about it, id rather just take things at face value

and again there is nothing wrong with theorizing about it obviously

Perhaps I understand what you mean. I just think theorizing things that are pretty implied is healthy enough, as long as not overdone. I hope to get a diagnosis soon enough as well because (the great potentiality of) ADHD has posed great challenges on my life, as well as my relationships with others. I like that the show highlighted such struggles in a fairly realistic manner. Most of the time, writers don't state their characters to be neurodivergent. This may be due to the horribly common misconceptions surrounding almost all (mental) disorders, unfortunately. Of course, a matter being canon makes it all the easier to compliment and appreciate, but most of the time, we're left to our own perceptions.
Jul 1, 9:47 PM

May 2008
Does it get better? The character is so unlikeable.
Jul 2, 3:32 AM

Apr 2021
Nina is from Kumamoto. There is a term "Higomokkosu" in Japan to describe the temperament of men from Kumamoto, meaning they are very persistent and somewhat rustic. Subaru once used this word for Nina when she suggested naming the band "chocolate" in hiragana, saying, "as expected from a Higomokkosu." Coupled with her strong sense of justice, Nina might be an extreme version of a Higomokkosu.
Jul 7, 8:25 AM
Oct 2022
What is it with this community that compels them to claim every single character they like as mentally ill/ADHD/autistic? Congratulations, you like and relate to a character. That doesn't mean that character must necessarily be mentally ill.

I find it funny how the "mentally ill" community always claims every other quirky character as "representation" for them. Yet they will never claim bad or evil characters with mentally ill traits as part of their community. Yall just cherrypicking and glazing whichever character you like on a whim.

This is especially so for the autism community which is always quick to claim anti-social genius savant characters as part of their community and saying "he just like me frfr", when in reality, the people claiming the character are nothing like him and don't even have a fraction of his IQ.

Just saying, it's OKAY to say that you like and relate to a character very much WITHOUT acting like a psychologist and branding every single slightly unusual character as <insert mental illness>. In case you didn't realise.
Jul 7, 1:14 PM

Nov 2009
Reply to oniisan_kenobi
What is it with this community that compels them to claim every single character they like as mentally ill/ADHD/autistic? Congratulations, you like and relate to a character. That doesn't mean that character must necessarily be mentally ill.

I find it funny how the "mentally ill" community always claims every other quirky character as "representation" for them. Yet they will never claim bad or evil characters with mentally ill traits as part of their community. Yall just cherrypicking and glazing whichever character you like on a whim.

This is especially so for the autism community which is always quick to claim anti-social genius savant characters as part of their community and saying "he just like me frfr", when in reality, the people claiming the character are nothing like him and don't even have a fraction of his IQ.

Just saying, it's OKAY to say that you like and relate to a character very much WITHOUT acting like a psychologist and branding every single slightly unusual character as <insert mental illness>. In case you didn't realise.
@oniisan_kenobi I rarely, if ever, classify a character as autistic mentally ill etc. its more within the context of the show she really does seem different from other characters. my take isn't based on just her behavior alone but how it contrasts with the more down to earth normal behaviors with the rest of the cast and world around her. just thought that aspect was interesting.
I appreciate your take and completely agree people saying x character has this mental illness or whatever happens way too often and it gets very annoying. again this is my opinion based on how all the characters act vs how nina acts.
Jul 8, 10:26 AM

Aug 2012
Reply to jaded-eagle
@oniisan_kenobi I rarely, if ever, classify a character as autistic mentally ill etc. its more within the context of the show she really does seem different from other characters. my take isn't based on just her behavior alone but how it contrasts with the more down to earth normal behaviors with the rest of the cast and world around her. just thought that aspect was interesting.
I appreciate your take and completely agree people saying x character has this mental illness or whatever happens way too often and it gets very annoying. again this is my opinion based on how all the characters act vs how nina acts.
@jaded-eagle

Your assumption is actually correct. I say this as an actual IRL male version of Nina :)

The moment where it is shown best (don't remember which episode was that) is when during negotiations in the cafe with the producer, said producer fakes being emotional, but the only character who fails to see through this is, obviously, Nina. This is peak autistic behaviour.

However, I don't think she has anything more serious like personality disorder, schizophrenia or whatever. But autism? Yes, yes, yes. I do not say this as a doctor, I say this as an autist myself. She is one of us.
Jul 21, 2:38 AM
Dec 2017
Not entirely mental illness, but more like depression due to the social stigma and bad experiences she had with school. The portrayal of her character is that she’s a naïve little girl who comes to Tokyo to chase her idols and tries to follow in their footsteps for a better life, eventually making a living as an artist. Diamond Dust and their music save her from the bullying she endured in high school. Nina is depicted as a victim looking to turn her life around, rising above her sadness, and bringing forth roses and diamonds once again.
Jul 21, 2:40 AM
Dec 2017
JayremyTM said:
Not entirely mental illness, but more like depression due to the social stigma and bad experiences she had with school. The portrayal of her character is that she’s a naïve little girl who comes to Tokyo to chase her idols and tries to follow in their footsteps for a better life, eventually making a living as an artist. Diamond Dust and their music save her from the bullying she endured in high school. Nina is depicted as a victim looking to turn her life around, rising above her sadness, and bringing forth roses and diamonds once again.

I would say mental illness thing are more like droll bit parts adding comic relief to the anime, not because they define her entire persona. The gravity of the character and the essence of the gimmick are still intact.
Jul 23, 6:48 PM

Jun 2019
Well, yeah. She seems obviously coded to be neurodivergent to some degree. Really adds some vitality and authenticity to the character and writing of the show as a whole, because it means every argument, dispute, and moment of inner turmoil isn't as neatly and quickly resolved as it is in a lot of series.

A perfect ingredient to bring out the right energy in a drama such as this.

One of the subtler tells of it is her unrelenting commitment to truth and honesty and combined inability and unwillingness to sync up and modify her behavior to a sufficient extent (outside of band performances) to get along in a crowd, whereas Subaru is like her natural opposite and the total social chameleon in a crowd and perpetual actress.
WatchTillTandavaJul 23, 7:02 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 31

54 by DARM11 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 17

56 by DARM11 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 28

135 by Serafos »»
Jul 25, 10:42 PM

» That song in episode 5 live concert is the best!

mufarari - Jul 22

7 by Myseishun »»
Jul 24, 3:42 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 26

41 by extralie »»
Jul 24, 2:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.