Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 25, 2:52 PM
Jul 2021
For some reason I've always loved the story lf Erased. There's something about the small town setting, nostalgia of the protagonist,
the looming threat of a misterious but real killer...
I just want to experience something like this again, and I'm not talking of anime only. Books, movies, forgotten tv shows, I'll listen to anything that might make me feel the same ;).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 25, 3:16 PM
Jul 2021
There’s kokkoku not too similar but I think you’ll like it
May 25, 3:18 PM

Dec 2020
Small town setting
Nostalgic feel
Mystery

Higurashi and summertime render seem to fit the bill
May 25, 3:25 PM
Jun 2021
I agree summertime render, it loses the mystery element early, and is completely shounen around episode 17-19, but the beginning is awesome.

To your eternity is not the same setting at all, but I mention it because it can leave you with that same empty pit feeling that I personally find bittersweet, as not a lot of anime can accomplish it.
May 25, 3:26 PM

Jun 2016
Maybe Dark? Tt even includes time travel stuff like Erased (although time travel in Dark is a lot more prominent and complicated)
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 25, 3:40 PM
Apr 2021
maybe twin peaks, a tv show
May 25, 3:41 PM
Jun 2021
I'm glad you loved Erased! The show's unique blend of mystery, nostalgia, and suspense is indeed captivating. Here are some recommendations that might scratch that same itch:

Monster: A psychological thriller that follows a brilliant doctor who saves a young boy's life, only to discover that the boy grows up to be a serial killer. Like Erased, it's a slow-burning, suspenseful story with a complex protagonist.

Boogiepop Phantom: A supernatural thriller that explores the dark side of human psychology, with a similar atmosphere of unease and foreboding.

Another: A horror anime that takes place in a small town with a dark history, featuring a mysterious death and a sense of impending doom.

The Tatami Galaxy: A surreal and psychedelic anime that explores the concept of parallel universes, featuring a protagonist who navigates

I hope these recommendations help you find something that resonates with you!
May 25, 4:10 PM
Mar 2019
Cawambar said:
maybe twin peaks, a tv show

I forgot about that show I was planning to watch it a few years back but forgot
May 25, 4:12 PM
Oct 2021
There is a show on Netflix with a very similar premise. I think it was called «Erased».
May 25, 4:12 PM
Mar 2019
ExternalWorld said:
I'm glad you loved Erased! The show's unique blend of mystery, nostalgia, and suspense is indeed captivating. Here are some recommendations that might scratch that same itch:

Monster: A psychological thriller that follows a brilliant doctor who saves a young boy's life, only to discover that the boy grows up to be a serial killer. Like Erased, it's a slow-burning, suspenseful story with a complex protagonist.

Boogiepop Phantom: A supernatural thriller that explores the dark side of human psychology, with a similar atmosphere of unease and foreboding.

Another: A horror anime that takes place in a small town with a dark history, featuring a mysterious death and a sense of impending doom.

The Tatami Galaxy: A surreal and psychedelic anime that explores the concept of parallel universes, featuring a protagonist who navigates

boogie pop phantom which version are you suppose to watch there are 2 and it hards to tell if it's a sequel or a remake
May 25, 4:52 PM
Jun 2021
Kreshre said:
ExternalWorld said:

boogie pop phantom which version are you suppose to watch there are 2 and it hards to tell if it's a sequel or a remake

I highly recommend watching both Boogiepop Phantom and Boogiepop and Others, as each series offers a unique viewing experience that complements the other.

Why watch both?

Watching both Boogiepop Phantom and Boogiepop and Others allows you to experience the series in a way that showcases the evolution of the storytelling and character development. Boogiepop Phantom is a more atmospheric and psychological horror-focused series that explores the minds of the characters, while Boogiepop and Others is a more fast-paced and action-oriented series that covers the entire story, including the novels that were not adapted in the original series.

By watching both, you'll gain a deeper understanding of the characters, their motivations, and the world they inhabit. You'll also be able to appreciate the different storytelling approaches and visual styles used in each series. Additionally, watching both series will allow you to see how the characters and plot develop over time, which can enhance your overall appreciation of the story.

So, if you're a fan of psychological horror, atmospheric storytelling, or complex characters, watching both Boogiepop Phantom and Boogiepop and Others is highly recommended.
May 25, 5:04 PM
Dec 2021
Link Click, it’s similar in ways with time travel and mystery, in my opinion it’s actually better than Erased but both are amazing shows!
May 25, 7:03 PM
May 2024
if you want the time traveling aspect look into stiens gate
May 25, 7:46 PM
Jan 2021
“The Dry” by Jane Harper is a great small town mystery thriller. “The Chestnut Man” by Soren Sveistrup is another great and longer mystery. Only issue I had was getting used to the Danish phrases and references used throughout the story since I wasn’t familiar with any of it.
May 25, 7:49 PM
Jan 2021
And “Bastard” by Kim Carnby. It’s been forever since I read it but it’s probably my favorite thriller story ever, definitely my favorite manwha
May 25, 8:43 PM
Dec 2021
For me!

"My Home Hero" is the Spiritual Successor of "Erased"

That's feels Very Similars! in Crime Vibes.
May 25, 9:14 PM

Sep 2014
GhostMuttt said:
And “Bastard” by Kim Carnby. It’s been forever since I read it but it’s probably my favorite thriller story ever, definitely my favorite manwha

I can concur with Bastard. Very similar vibes. It's a decent read and not too long.
May 25, 9:38 PM
Oct 2021
I agree with and recommend Summertime render .

Also maybe Even Orange?
It’s a small town vibe, and has sudo time travel and there is a sudo mystery along with trying to stop something from happening.

Orange , summer time render , all some of my faves 👍
May 25, 10:31 PM
Feb 2021
Erased handled everything so bad, still shocked at how bad they trashed the potential of this series, AWFUL
May 25, 10:54 PM
Jan 2021
Agreed on Summertime Rendering and Bastard.
May 25, 10:58 PM

Jan 2017
ExternalWorld said:
while Boogiepop and Others is a more fast-paced and action-oriented series that covers the entire story

Sigh.

It is not a complete adaptation, they only covered Volumes 1-3 and 5-6 (out of currently 13), in the usual rush of Novel adaptation. It was criticized for that, because the original teaser was almost entirely made up of scenes from later Volumes, which are completely absent from the Anime.

Boogiepop Phantom is a filler series, with an original storyline happening after Volume 1.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 25, 11:10 PM
Jun 2021
Alexioos95 said:
ExternalWorld said:
while Boogiepop and Others is a more fast-paced and action-oriented series that covers the entire story

Sigh.

It is not a complete adaptation, they only covered Volumes 1-3 and 5-6 (out of currently 13), in the usual rush of Novel adaptation. It was criticized for that, because the original teaser was almost entirely made up of scenes from later Volumes, which are completely absent from the Anime.

Boogiepop Phantom is a filler series, with an original storyline happening after Volume 1.

I understand your concern. It can be frustrating when a series doesn't adapt the entire story, especially when the teaser seems to hint at later plot developments.

However, I'd like to offer a different perspective. While Boogiepop Phantom may not be a complete adaptation of the novels, it still offers a unique and thought-provoking exploration of the characters and themes. The original storyline, which takes place after Volume 1, can be seen as an extension or a parallel to the novel's story.

Moreover, the creators of Boogiepop Phantom aimed to capture the essence and atmosphere of the novels, rather than a literal adaptation. The series' focus on psychological horror and character development can be seen as an interpretation of the novels, rather than a strict adaptation.

Additionally, Boogiepop and Others is also a part of the franchise, which covers more of the novel's story. Watching both series can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the world and characters.

So, while it's understandable to be disappointed by the incomplete adaptation, I believe that both series still have value as standalone works that offer a unique perspective on the Boogiepop universe.
May 25, 11:47 PM

Jan 2017
ExternalWorld said:
Watching both series can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the world and characters.

Almost the entirety of the cast of Boogiepop Phantom are new characters. Those who are from the Novels, and the operation of the world and Boogiepop does not get talked about much. It really just is two separate universes based on the same core concept, but Phantom does not take the time to explain them to you (which is why it's confusing to watch it without knowing the Novels beforehand).

Phantom is related to the Live Action Movie, by the way.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 25, 11:56 PM
Mar 2023
Alioli360 said:
For some reason I've always loved the story lf Erased. There's something about the small town setting, nostalgia of the protagonist,
I just want to experience something like this again, and I'm not talking of anime only. Books, movies, forgotten tv shows, I'll listen to anything that might make me feel the same ;).

I recommend Odd Taxi, I binged it yesterday, only 13 episodes. No time travel and maybe it's my recency bias talking, but I think it was fn great. I watched it dubbed, because it was amazing imo, the sub is good too tho.
May 26, 12:18 AM
Jun 2021
Alexioos95 said:
ExternalWorld said:
Watching both series can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the world and characters.

Almost the entirety of the cast of Boogiepop Phantom are new characters. Those who are from the Novels, and the operation of the world and Boogiepop does not get talked about much. It really just is two separate universes based on the same core concept, but Phantom does not take the time to explain them to you (which is why it's confusing to watch it without knowing the Novels beforehand).

Phantom is related to the Live Action Movie, by the way.

I understand your point that Boogiepop Phantom introduces many new characters and doesn't delve deeply into the world and Boogiepop's operations. However, I think that's also part of its unique charm. The series takes a fresh approach to the concept, exploring new themes and ideas while still maintaining the core essence о
the original novels.

Regarding the confusion, I agree that having prior knowledge of the novels would be helpful. However, I think that's also an opportunity for fans to explore an learn more about the original story. Watching Boogiepop Phantom can be a great way to get hooked on the franchise and then go back to read the novels to gain a deeper understanding of the world and characters.

It's also worth noting that Boogiepop Phantom is a distinct adaptation in its own right, and not just a direct adaptation of the novels. The creators took inspiration from the original work and ran with it, creating something new and unique. So, while it may not be a perfect adaptation, it's still a fascinating take on the concept.
May 26, 12:29 AM
May 2024
Animeunderrated said:
There’s kokkoku not too similar but I think you’ll like it

i have watched kokkoku but I don't like it that much. It's one of the most boring thrillers I'll ever seen.
May 26, 12:40 AM
Nov 2022
Steins;Gate would be a obvious choice.
May 26, 12:42 AM
Nov 2022
DaoistFR said:

That also has the nostalgia aspect to it. The movies literally called “Deja vu”
May 26, 12:54 AM
May 2024
little_white_boy said:
Link Click, it’s similar in ways with time travel and mystery, in my opinion it’s actually better than Erased but both are amazing shows!

It's thrilling time travel adventures with poignant human stories. Each episode, focused on different photograph(and thus different stories)is a beautiful crafted narrative impact of our choices. The anime excel in showing not only the grand life changing moment but also the small , intimate once that define our existence.
May 26, 2:36 AM
Apr 2024
I agree.Though you should watch orange.
May 26, 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
Short Masterpiece!🔥
May 26, 5:49 AM
May 2024
Reply to Buny0058
DaoistFR said:

That also has the nostalgia aspect to it. The movies literally called “Deja vu”
@Buny0058 You're right haha, "deja-vu" is a potent word to describe steins; gate's story-telling and cinematography, it also gave me a sense of nostalgia too!

edit: grammar
May 26, 9:08 AM
Feb 2021
Persona 4 and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 4 both fill that small-town murder mystery niche I’d say, though of course with different supernatural elements. If you don’t want to play ~60 hours of a game, the anime adaptation of Persona is a great substitute for. Just be sure you don’t accidentally watch Persona 4 Golden the Animation, that just adapts the stuff unique to the P4G game.
May 26, 9:15 AM
Feb 2022
a manga like erased is "A second goodbye to you" though I'd say it's more darker
May 26, 10:03 AM
Sep 2021
If you want a video game suggestion then Alan Wake would be my answer. It has a small idyllic town, a looming supernatural threat that’s growing stronger, and a struggling writer that is the only one who can stop it.
May 26, 12:37 PM
Sep 2020
Alioli360 said:

re zero, steins;gate, higurashi, summertime render, another etc.
May 26, 1:57 PM
Jul 2021
if you like games Persona 4 Golden i think its a perfect fit for your description
May 26, 5:08 PM
Nov 2022
DaoistFR said:
@Buny0058 You're right haha, "deja-vu" is a potent word to describe steins; gate's story-telling and cinematography, it also gave me a sense of nostalgia too!

edit: grammar

Steins;gate is literally our childhood memorizes turned into a story lol.
May 26, 5:57 PM
Oct 2015
Since you've seen Summertime Render and Shinesaki Yori which are the most similar anime to Erased I've watched, I can only join the recommendation about Twin Peaks and Dark which are not anime.
Twin Peaks is from the 90's and quite odd but it will give you these sensation you are looking for (the 2017 comeback season is a bizarre trip by far weirder than the original series).
Dark is a German TV show, the first two season are great until the last minute of the last episode of the second season, the third season is a huge mess in my opinion, but still worth watching for the first two.
Also saw someone mentioned JoJo Season 4, which is my favorite, and also fits what you are looking for.
May 26, 6:26 PM
Mar 2022
higurashi, Summertime rendering, steins;gate, and shinsekai yori were pretty similar feelings for me
May 26, 6:27 PM
Mar 2022
Kreshre said:
ExternalWorld said:

it really doesn't matter since the reboot was atrocious. go with the 2000s one
May 26, 11:39 PM
Apr 2023
The Sherlock tv series, Death Note
May 28, 12:14 AM
Aug 2020
Summertime Rendering is there. I hope you'll like it. Personally for me, one of the best animes of it's genre that I've watched.
May 28, 12:17 AM
Aug 2020
little_white_boy said:

this one too. Fantastic storyline.
May 28, 12:20 AM
Aug 2020
ExternalWorld said:

with all due respect, I don't think Monster by any means will give the same vibes or evoke the same emotions as Erased. There's a myriad of characters and events whose stories will come to the forefront one by one in Monster, and the protagonist will get involved with a fair number of them. If not the protagonist, then people close to him will be there involved in events which at times might feel totally disconnected from what began the story in the first place. A much bigger plot compared to Erased, imho definitely not alike, or something that would bring back the same feeling as it in any way.
May 28, 1:59 PM

Sep 2020
The Butterly Effect movie from 2004, it's pretty much the same story.
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
May 28, 6:37 PM
Jan 2024
Link Click is a great mystery/thriller that I would recommend
May 29, 1:00 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread moved to the correct board.

It may seem like nitpicking, but recommendations should be asked for in the recommendation board so that others looking for similar recommendations can find your thread and to avoid discussions on the series sub-forums that don't really have anything to do with the anime itself :)
May 29, 2:05 PM

Apr 2024
ERASE IT!

My condolences for you! This anime was borderline before the final plot twist, and after it, it became simply atrocious. The manga is actually not much better. Erased is one of a few anime I ever gave a 1/10 because it has apparently plagiarized an actually great work.

One of the reasons to never listen to people on MyAnimeList unless you know their exact IQ is because the public here is generally media illiterate, and, as a result, you've already been advised to watch everything EXCEPT the work that Erased has most likely ripped off. Watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and then The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. The Disappearance movie is the original work that apparently was plagiarized by Erased (the similarities are simply too obvious to not pay attention to them), and it worse than plagiarized it, the author of Erased absolutely did not understand what made the movie great. If you watched it before (according to your list), don't hesitate to rewatch it any time again, because it is a great movie and is worth every second of your time.

Other works may include The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Steins;Gate, Kokkoku and Noein: to your other self.

If you want a perfect example how to emulate a great work, watch Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica and Black★Rock Shooter (TV).
PostMahouShoujoMay 29, 2:17 PM
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 29, 2:41 PM

Jan 2022
Revolutionary Girl Utena comes into mind for me
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Recommended anime that has DBZ style fight scenes?

Jetstreamraiden2 - Sep 22

5 by thorin001 »»
41 minutes ago

» Looking for good gay anime/manga recommendations

SombreStarling - Today

11 by SombreStarling »»
2 hours ago

» Romance Drama

AdityaRizkiS - Sep 15

7 by 031011 »»
2 hours ago

» Melancholy

LoveYourSmile - Sep 15

14 by 031011 »»
2 hours ago

» Want some underrated good anime

Roktim583A - Today

5 by 031011 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.