Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 10:51 AM

Jan 2018
When I saw the episode title was Witch Hunt, I knew it was gonna be dark and I wasn't wrong.

Bon and Ream getting shot by arrows took me by surprise ngl. The cute artstyle almost made me forget this series doesn't shy away from depicting violence.

Man, those torture scenes were brutal. I felt uncomfortable seeing characters with character designs from my childhood getting tortured like that. Wonder if the manga depicted violence like this too. I had the idea that Fujiko F. Fujio drew kid-friendly mangas but I guess I was wrong.

The only censorship I could notice was that they censored the Christian cross and references to Christianity in general. Seems like a pretty worthless censorship considering what they did.

Man, with how Celine was living in the forest with animals and gave people strange medicine no wonder outsiders thought she was a witch. But it's still inexcusable what they were gonna do with her and did with so many innocent people. I'm glad that period is now over.

Celine is too naive. God isn't cruel. But humans are. She was lucky that she was saved by those time patrollers. But one thing I don't like is how they were unable to break her naivete/delusional views.

This episode reminded me of Devilman kinda because of how depraved and untrustworthy humans can be. I also liked how the events in the past were connected with the social media of today. I doubt the manga had that. It's also another thing that Devilman Crybaby did which is also a neat coincidence.

Of course, getting flamed online is nowhere near as horrible as getting burned at the stake. But it's still something that affects our daily lives. And with rampant cyberbullying, some people with weaker mental fortitude may actually do something that might hurt them. So in a way, humans didn't really change. Our methods have just become different.

I can't say I liked the ending of this episode that much. I think the way Ream and Bon saved Celine was a bit too convenient. I liked the Egyptian episode the best because it truly felt like the characters were in a hopeless situation and they used their heads to help their target.
0451May 6, 12:26 PM
May 3, 1:49 PM

Jun 2019
I cannot believe that in a post for an earlier episode's thread topic, I said that this series likely just wouldn't be so extreme or explicit in content as to contain sex or torture scenes in just two random examples chosen off-hand of things I thought would safely be considered over the line and "too far" given the "family friendly" label, and then the series went and pulled this. I watched it not long after my previous statement and had to chuckle.

As for the torture itself though, I don't know if that'd be considered a medieval form of waterboarding or just force-feeding with water similar to the gavage used on geese to produce foie gras.

Flashbacks to Junketsu no Maria in this episode as well. Too bad she wasn't actually a witch and so couldn't rely on her succubus and incubus familiars or the witches' guild for assistance and had to rely on time travelers instead.

Other than that, I thought that the episode did a good job of showing the victim as as naive and ignorant as much of the mindless mob set on her, when she completely ignored our travelers' warning out of hand just because "God won't let bad things happen".
WatchTillTandavaMay 3, 1:58 PM
May 4, 12:32 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to 0451
When I saw the episode title was Witch Hunt, I knew it was gonna be dark and I wasn't wrong.

Bon and Ream getting shot by arrows took me by surprise ngl. The cute artstyle almost made me forget this series doesn't shy away from depicting violence.

Man, those torture scenes were brutal. I felt uncomfortable seeing characters with character designs from my childhood getting tortured like that. Wonder if the manga depicted violence like this too. I had the idea that Fujiko F. Fujio drew kid-friendly mangas but I guess I was wrong.

The only censorship I could notice was that they censored the Christian cross and references to Christianity in general. Seems like a pretty worthless censorship considering what they did.

Man, with how Celine was living in the forest with animals and gave people strange medicine no wonder outsiders thought she was a witch. But it's still inexcusable what they were gonna do with her and did with so many innocent people. I'm glad that period is now over.

Celine is too naive. God isn't cruel. But humans are. She was lucky that she was saved by those time patrollers. But one thing I don't like is how they were unable to break her naivete/delusional views.

This episode reminded me of Devilman kinda because of how depraved and untrustworthy humans can be. I also liked how the events in the past were connected with the social media of today. I doubt the manga had that. It's also another thing that Devilman Crybaby did which is also a neat coincidence.

Of course, getting flamed online is nowhere near as horrible as getting burned at the stake. But it's still something that affects our daily lives. And with rampant cyberbullying, some people with weaker mental fortitude may actually do something that might hurt them. So in a way, humans didn't really change. Our methods have just become different.

I can't say I liked the ending of this episode that much. I think the way Ream and Bon saved Celine was a bit too convenient. I liked the Egyptian episode the best because it truly felt like the characters were in a hopeless situation and they used their heads to help their target.
@0451 Glad I wasn't the only one who got reminded of devilman! Tbh I kinda prefer more episodes like these where they delve deeper into more mature stuff, after the last episode I had been contemplating whether the trailer misled me into thinking this show can be serious at depicting real-life history and after watching this episode I'm satisfied by what they did! Although the ending was a bit too disney (even the animals bid farewell to Celine, heck she really is a disney princess xD).
“You can’t always hold on to the things that are important. By letting them go we gain something else.” – Kunio Yaobi
May 5, 11:39 AM

May 2020
The way their targets seemingly WANT to die is both frustrating to watch and regrettably believable. I love the variety of ways in which Ream and Bon solve problems, though.
May 5, 1:39 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Kinda coincidence that this episode pretty much represents the recent "Man or Bear" TikTok debate
May 21, 3:15 PM

Nov 2023
They could have spared us the part where the woman was like Snow White, friends with the animals... This anime is in a limbo between wanting to be family-friendly like Doraemon and dramatic and cruel like Made in Abyss. Imo this has been the best episode so far.
May 22, 10:17 AM

Jan 2018
Reply to Satoshi17
They could have spared us the part where the woman was like Snow White, friends with the animals... This anime is in a limbo between wanting to be family-friendly like Doraemon and dramatic and cruel like Made in Abyss. Imo this has been the best episode so far.
@Satoshi17 I don't know what it was like in the manga. But after watching this episode it felt like the writer(s) thought that this episode's story was too dark. So, they tried to compensate for it by putting these Disney-like elements into it to make it less bleak. I think they overcompensated. And the fact that the girl never learns the true nature of humans and stays blissfully ignorant is detrimental to the story and what it's trying to teach IMO. At least in the Egypt story, the man found out that he was betrayed by his employer and learned that it was a terrible idea to disobey his "god."
May 22, 10:43 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to 0451
@Satoshi17 I don't know what it was like in the manga. But after watching this episode it felt like the writer(s) thought that this episode's story was too dark. So, they tried to compensate for it by putting these Disney-like elements into it to make it less bleak. I think they overcompensated. And the fact that the girl never learns the true nature of humans and stays blissfully ignorant is detrimental to the story and what it's trying to teach IMO. At least in the Egypt story, the man found out that he was betrayed by his employer and learned that it was a terrible idea to disobey his "god."
@0451 I've reached episode 7, and I've realized that the problem with this anime is that they've inserted drama into it, but they're not capable of creating shocking events. They managed to sugarcoat the death, and by doing so, the dramatic part completely loses its depth.
May 28, 6:07 PM
Mar 2019
A really deep episode, no sparing the shock value.

More topics from this board

Poll: » T.P BON Episode 8 Discussion

RecallMyName - May 2

7 by cat_xd »»
Aug 31, 10:34 PM

» The interview

RecallMyName - Aug 11

2 by RecallMyName »»
Aug 11, 9:36 PM

» Season 2 is out

RecallMyName - Jul 17

5 by TrekkieNoob »»
Jul 20, 12:31 AM

» Episode Count

Baka_Ichigo - Jun 13

9 by 0451 »»
Jul 11, 10:29 AM

Poll: » T.P BON Episode 1 Discussion

DatRandomDude - May 2

15 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Jun 18, 6:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.