Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Goblin Slayer (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 17, 2:52 PM

Jun 2015
the violence definitely got toned down a lot. the slaughtering of goblins wasnt given enough screen time. not a single goblin got his head crushed in slomo.
Jan 17, 3:01 PM
Aug 2021
Yeah it’s kinda sad to say since I did really like Goblin Slayer season 1, but this season was just flat out boring to me. I know the whole gimmick and point of the show is to kill goblins, but I don’t necessarily think there is any creativity to the kinds of goblins/how they fight goblins anymore, it’s getting really repetitive and stale. Maybe if there were beings in league with the goblins, or just stronger classes of goblins, it would be far more interesting, rather than watching compilations of GS and gang slicing them with a few swings
Jan 17, 7:59 PM

Apr 2021
CorLeonis-_- said:
Yeah it’s kinda sad to say since I did really like Goblin Slayer season 1, but this season was just flat out boring to me. I know the whole gimmick and point of the show is to kill goblins, but I don’t necessarily think there is any creativity to the kinds of goblins/how they fight goblins anymore, it’s getting really repetitive and stale. Maybe if there were beings in league with the goblins, or just stronger classes of goblins, it would be far more interesting, rather than watching compilations of GS and gang slicing them with a few swings

The show is called “GOBLIN SLAYER” and that’s what the show is about… they literally say he doesn’t care about any other job besides killing Goblins.

So complaining that it is not what you want, does not make any logical sense.

And this season was not boring, it broadened the anime world by having Goblin Slayer travel longer distances and meeting new peoples.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jan 17, 9:50 PM
Sep 2023
Just because the show is named Goblin Slayer doesn’t mean that the only thing they can do is hunt goblins. Also just because it’s named Goblin Slayer doesn’t mean it can’t have multiple types of goblins or any variety in the show between the goblins.
Jan 18, 4:34 AM
Aug 2021
ejleon said:
CorLeonis-_- said:

The show is called “GOBLIN SLAYER” and that’s what the show is about… they literally say he doesn’t care about any other job besides killing Goblins.

And this season was not boring, it broadened the anime world by having Goblin Slayer travel longer distances and meeting new peoples.

Right but if you actually read what I said, you’d see that I acknowledged that, and simply stated ways that I thought the simple act of killing goblins could be made more interesting. Just an opinion, it’s alright if you liked it but it just wasn’t interesting to me.
Jan 18, 7:15 AM
Feb 2022
I've always seen it as a show centering on the character Goblin Slayer and everything else is there to show his personality, growth, feelings and whatnot. This makes season 2 just as good as the first.
Jan 18, 9:39 AM

Jan 2023
I think it was good season, they still showed goblin slayer, and also showed more character development and depth. Like if they didn't show character progression and expanded on the world, the show would gone bland with just pure killing.

For those saying there is not any extra types of goblins, then I have to ask what do you call the following:

Goblin King
Goblin Paladin
Hobgoblin
Goblin Shaman
And so on...
Jan 18, 11:03 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to CorLeonis-_-
ejleon said:
CorLeonis-_- said:

Right but if you actually read what I said, you’d see that I acknowledged that, and simply stated ways that I thought the simple act of killing goblins could be made more interesting. Just an opinion, it’s alright if you liked it but it just wasn’t interesting to me.
@CorLeonis-_- excuse me, I did read what you said, you want them to change it to something you prefer so you will be interested, that’s my point, it’s not your story, it’s theirs
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jan 18, 11:22 AM
Aug 2021
PizzaGOD_74 said:
Just because the show is named Goblin Slayer doesn’t mean that the only thing they can do is hunt goblins. Also just because it’s named Goblin Slayer doesn’t mean it can’t have multiple types of goblins or any variety in the show between the goblins.

Thank you haha this is what I have been getting at
Jan 18, 11:24 AM
Aug 2021
ejleon said:
@CorLeonis-_- excuse me, I did read what you said, you want them to change it to something you prefer so you will be interested, that’s my point, it’s not your story, it’s theirs

I mean I don’t expect everything to be how I want it to be haha, but I am allowed to freely express my opinion of how the story could be better/less boring. Which is what I just did, all you did was explain to me that Goblin Slayer is about slaying goblins…which I understand is the point, but it doesn’t have to be so similar and one dimensional all the time. The entire point of discussion threads like this is for people like me to express ideas about what works for a show and what doesn’t lol
Jan 18, 12:50 PM
Feb 2022
CorLeonis-_- said:
ejleon said:

I mean I don’t expect everything to be how I want it to be haha, but I am allowed to freely express my opinion of how the story could be better/less boring. Which is what I just did, all you did was explain to me that Goblin Slayer is about slaying goblins…which I understand is the point, but it doesn’t have to be so similar and one dimensional all the time. The entire point of discussion threads like this is for people like me to express ideas about what works for a show and what doesn’t lol

It's about a child seeing hell in a brutal world ruled by fates deciding that he will defy fate because it's needed for him and alot of others while getting payback. The real story is him carving his own way contrary to the rules of the world, its gods and failed understanding from others how important it is what he's doing for many.
Jan 18, 1:08 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to CorLeonis-_-
ejleon said:

@CorLeonis-_-

I never said you couldn’t express your opinion and I would defend your right to.

My point is that your perspective is not objective but subjective, and therefore skewed.

You only believe this season is “boring, repetitive, and one demential”, because it is not how you personally prefer it to be.

This is a subjective view.

I believe the anime was entertaining and enjoyable, because it follows last season and the movie well, along with introducing new characters and expanding the world.

This is an objective view.

My point is not to unfairly judge an anime because it is not the type of anime you personally prefer.
Fairly judge the anime based on what the story is supposed to be about and if it holds up to that.

Jan 18, 2:37 PM
Aug 2021
@ejleon You just stated my opinion and called it subjective…and then stated yours and called it objective…that’s not how objectivity works. Objectivity is fact and based on fact, which is not anything you said. Yours, like mine, is a subjective opinion. Which is totally fine, but then I can also have mine which is that this season was dry and felt repetitive. I thought the world building with the elves was nice, but the primary conflict is always the same with little variation. Im glad you enjoyed it, and I don’t necessarily hate it, I just found it boring. But you can’t state “objectivity” by starting with “I believe”
Jan 18, 2:39 PM
Aug 2021
Gl0rp said:
CorLeonis-_- said:

It's about a child seeing hell in a brutal world ruled by fates deciding that he will defy fate because it's needed for him and alot of others while getting payback. The real story is him carving his own way contrary to the rules of the world, its gods and failed understanding from others how important it is what he's doing for many.

Which all sounds really nice, but I don’t personally believe the story, especially this season, lends itself to this narrative at all. I totally get the motivations of GS being revenge and the defying of fate, but we are presented with mostly one dimensional goblin slaughter. I don’t have an issue with the themes that define the series, I just think it’s boring that they are presented thru the same rinse and repeat process with very little variety.
Jan 18, 3:45 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to CorLeonis-_-
@ejleon You just stated my opinion and called it subjective…and then stated yours and called it objective…that’s not how objectivity works. Objectivity is fact and based on fact, which is not anything you said. Yours, like mine, is a subjective opinion. Which is totally fine, but then I can also have mine which is that this season was dry and felt repetitive. I thought the world building with the elves was nice, but the primary conflict is always the same with little variation. Im glad you enjoyed it, and I don’t necessarily hate it, I just found it boring. But you can’t state “objectivity” by starting with “I believe”
@CorLeonis-_-

You calling this 2nd season “dry and repetitive” is a subjective opinion.

Me stating that the 2nd season followed what happened in the 1st season and the Movie are true facts, this is an objective opinion.
When I said that I thought it was “entertaining and enjoyable”, that would be my subjective opinion.

How are you not understanding the differences?

Anyways …

I am not saying you can’t express your opinion.

I just wish people would judge anime based on what it presents, not on what they believe it should present.

You are basically telling the creators how to write the story, instead of letting them tell their own story.
ejleonJan 18, 3:50 PM

Jan 18, 8:46 PM
Aug 2021
ejleon said:
@CorLeonis-_-

Me stating that the 2nd season followed what happened in the 1st season and the Movie are true facts, this is an objective opinion.
When I said that I thought it was “entertaining and enjoyable”, that would be my subjective opinion.

Anyways …

I just wish people would judge anime based on what it presents, not on what they believe it should present.

You are basically telling the creators how to write the story, instead of letting them tell their own story.

That didn’t seem like what you were saying at all, I don’t really think I misunderstood anything. But let’s agree to disagree. I’m in no way saying I dislike Goblin Slayer, I reasonably enjoyed it I guess the second season just wasn’t for me! All I was voicing
Jan 18, 11:41 PM

Apr 2021
CorLeonis-_- said:
ejleon said:
@CorLeonis-_-

Anyways …

That didn’t seem like what you were saying at all, I don’t really think I misunderstood anything. But let’s agree to disagree. I’m in no way saying I dislike Goblin Slayer, I reasonably enjoyed it I guess the second season just wasn’t for me! All I was voicing

Hm… perhaps I was not as clear as I thought it was in expressing my point, I do apologize for causing confusion.

I never thought you disliked the anime.

I understand now that you are expressing creative differences based on how to make the anime even better for the audience’s enjoyment, not just your own.

I think I impulsively responded to your comment which made things worse than just talking out different perspectives of the second season.

I am sorry about that.

Thanks for being patient and discussing with me.

Jan 19, 5:54 AM
Aug 2021
ejleon said:
CorLeonis-_- said:

Hm… perhaps I was not as clear as I thought it was in expressing my point, I do apologize for causing confusion.

I never thought you disliked the anime.

I understand now that you are expressing creative differences based on how to make the anime even better for the audience’s enjoyment, not just your own.

I think I impulsively responded to your comment which made things worse than just talking out different perspectives of the second season.

I am sorry about that.

Thanks for being patient and discussing with me.

It’s all good! That’s what this place is for, love a good discussion as well.
Jan 20, 5:49 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to CorLeonis-_-
Gl0rp said:
CorLeonis-_- said:

Which all sounds really nice, but I don’t personally believe the story, especially this season, lends itself to this narrative at all. I totally get the motivations of GS being revenge and the defying of fate, but we are presented with mostly one dimensional goblin slaughter. I don’t have an issue with the themes that define the series, I just think it’s boring that they are presented thru the same rinse and repeat process with very little variety.
@CorLeonis-_-

I think the big issues are

a) Goblins are just not interesting enemies. They try to make it sound like they're "learning", but everything else Goblin Slayer encounters has kicked his ass. So Goblins really aren't a big threat, unless we suspend our disbelief and go with "everyone in this world other than GS is a fucking idiot and doesn't see the TRUE threat Goblins are", which isn't a good thing.

b) Goblin Slayer himself is just.. unimpressive. They try to do all cool shots and dialogues for him, but the guy is weaksauce and without his party would've been long dead in situations they've faced so far (like the finale of the season 2). All you can say about him is that he knows about Goblins, great, then write a book or pamphlets and stand outside the guild, handing them out to every adventurer on what to do and what not to do.

Season 2 showed basically no growth, no new skill learned (unless you count using a new weapon in like 2 episodes) and no bigger threat our hero has to deal with. It was more of the same as season one, except tamer, designed for American audience so they can watch while not getting offended by tits and gore.

Whole damn show feels like an NPC side-quest, especially season 2 with some of the most bland events and action scenes ever.
Jan 20, 6:06 AM

Apr 2020
To me that's how Goblin Slayer always was. Kinda vanilla. Bland. Mildly entertaining cause of the Goblin Slaying, while the rest is painfully stereotypical
Jan 20, 8:54 AM
Aug 2021
1List2RuleThemAl said:
@CorLeonis-_-

a) Goblins are just not interesting enemies. They try to make it sound like they're "learning", but everything else Goblin Slayer encounters has kicked his ass. So Goblins really aren't a big threat, unless we suspend our disbelief and go with "everyone in this world other than GS is a fucking idiot and doesn't see the TRUE threat Goblins are", which isn't a good thing.

b) Goblin Slayer himself is just.. unimpressive. They try to do all cool shots and dialogues for him, but the guy is weaksauce and without his party would've been long dead in situations they've faced so far (like the finale of the season 2). All you can say about him is that he knows about Goblins, great, then write a book or pamphlets and stand outside the guild, handing them out to every adventurer on what to do and what not to do.

Season 2 showed basically no growth, no new skill learned (unless you count using a new weapon in like 2 episodes) and no bigger threat our hero has to deal with. It was more of the same as season one, except tamer, designed for American audience so they can watch while not getting offended by tits and gore.

Whole damn show feels like an NPC side-quest, especially season 2 with some of the most bland events and action scenes ever.

I agreed with everything til you said the American part. It’s not the reason at all, and it was completely unnecessary. Hate when people think they have the right to gatekeep anime, you know that’s not why they toned it down.
Jan 20, 3:58 PM

Jan 2019
Reply to CorLeonis-_-
1List2RuleThemAl said:
@CorLeonis-_-

I agreed with everything til you said the American part. It’s not the reason at all, and it was completely unnecessary. Hate when people think they have the right to gatekeep anime, you know that’s not why they toned it down.
@CorLeonis-_-

I'm not trying to gatekeep it, I'm not Japanese (I am Indian) or dub hater and usually prefer English dubs (unless anime has no translation, like S5 of Initial D).

But it's a matter of fact that majority of translators are hired from USA, even in gaming (as a game developer myself, I can confirm this) and they tend to push the media they are hired to work on, into local American identity/cultural politics. If you search online, you'll find a lot of visual novels translated by American translators where meaning of scenes being translated has completely changed to mimic American outlook, images edited to make them "less triggering" or more "inclusive".

Which version of the anime/VN/game rest of the world gets to see then? The dubbed one, the American one.

Considering the money companies make in US, they start slowly catering to the American market more and more over time. Japanese creators have been doing that for a long time. A lot of VN re-releases on Steam end up being censored just so it can be sold to the Americans. Most developers start catering to the market they earn more in by default, so the new work is designed from ground-up to be suitable for THAT country.

It's unfortunate, but we're all stuck with this if we prefer dubs, especially when watching anime with others who can't be arsed with reading subtitles.
1List2RuleThemAlJan 20, 4:03 PM
Jan 24, 12:32 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to 1List2RuleThemAl
@CorLeonis-_-

I'm not trying to gatekeep it, I'm not Japanese (I am Indian) or dub hater and usually prefer English dubs (unless anime has no translation, like S5 of Initial D).

But it's a matter of fact that majority of translators are hired from USA, even in gaming (as a game developer myself, I can confirm this) and they tend to push the media they are hired to work on, into local American identity/cultural politics. If you search online, you'll find a lot of visual novels translated by American translators where meaning of scenes being translated has completely changed to mimic American outlook, images edited to make them "less triggering" or more "inclusive".

Which version of the anime/VN/game rest of the world gets to see then? The dubbed one, the American one.

Considering the money companies make in US, they start slowly catering to the American market more and more over time. Japanese creators have been doing that for a long time. A lot of VN re-releases on Steam end up being censored just so it can be sold to the Americans. Most developers start catering to the market they earn more in by default, so the new work is designed from ground-up to be suitable for THAT country.

It's unfortunate, but we're all stuck with this if we prefer dubs, especially when watching anime with others who can't be arsed with reading subtitles.
@1List2RuleThemAl Oh man, there's so much wrong with this statement I won't even bother trying to unpack it. Just know you sound like an ill informed bigot and you should work on learning some facts before speaking on this subject again.
Jan 24, 12:32 PM

Mar 2021
@CorLeonis-_-

@1List2RuleThemAl Oh man, there's so much wrong with this statement I won't even bother trying to unpack it. Just know you sound like an ill informed bigot and you should work on learning some facts before speaking on this subject again.
Jan 24, 2:00 PM

Jan 2019
Reply to YuniVT
@KainiusTheGreat

Translation: I have no valid counter-arguments but going to randomly whine and attack the poster instead.

Have a nice day, Kainius the "Great". :))
Jan 24, 3:21 PM

Mar 2021
@KainiusTheGreat

Translation: I have no valid counter-arguments but going to randomly whine and attack the poster instead.

Have a nice day, Kainius the "Great". :))
@1List2RuleThemAl The fact that all you had to say to back up your claims was "Blame America"...it makes you sound like a fool. It also makes you sound like a hateful fool to blame the 99.9% for the actions of the .1%. Go ahead and see what countries are offended by "tits and gore" as you so eloquently put it...it ain't America, sport. I didn't want to say much beyond "get your facts straight" but hey, you wanted to talk all big, so here we are. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.
Apr 23, 8:39 AM

Apr 2013
Slaying of goblins is certainly less detailed, which was one of the strong points of season 1. So yeah, I agree with OP.
May 28, 5:50 PM
Sep 2020
All of the comments here make me realize why Goblin Slayer still slaying goblins, coz everyone will go bored dealing with goblins eventually no matter how fascinating goblin are and move on to fight other monsters while goblins still went around cause destruction to other helpless people who's not an adventurer.. Yeah, he really need to stay that same way not matter how boring it get.. Maybe this story should show more in perspective of helpless people coz u know, they are not terrifying coz of their power, but their depravity

*sorry for my bad english, english isn't my 1st or 2nd language*

More topics from this board

Poll: » Goblin Slayer II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2023

148 by butaniumbc »»
Yesterday, 8:30 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2023

95 by d_lynne »»
Apr 26, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer II Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2023

83 by d_lynne »»
Apr 26, 3:35 PM

» New Animation Studio

darkia1416 - Jan 21

16 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 23, 8:46 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer II Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2023

72 by Gator »»
Apr 23, 8:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.