Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2023 7:34 PM

Jul 2011
For now, I like Team 4th composition the most.

Konomi is Ritsuko 2 .

I need the definition of old, when that spectator said that Momoko's detective show is old. Momoko is literally 11 years old, the show can't be very old.
Nov 26, 2023 8:53 PM

Feb 2016
I loved this episode, Konomi is too precious ❤️
But while I loved Team4th I wanted to see team5th, I wanted to see an episode with Serika as main 😭

btw it's kinda lame that we ain't getting lives, I hate when idol animes just do the PowerPoint-like presentation with the song in the background lol They are using CGI in this, I understand it is still hard but c'mon, they are idols, we want to see them dance!

Anyways, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE, IT WILL HAVE A LOT OF 765PRO ALLSTARS!
HARUKA-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!! 🥰
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Nov 27, 2023 12:02 AM

Jul 2014
Ah yes, cos the stage with a literal hole in the floorboards is safer than one which has a broken water pipe beneath it. Stupid plot point is stupid.
Nov 27, 2023 1:42 AM
Apr 2013
EP 8

And uh yeah that was the whole episode.
A really weird episode. Team 5 got skipped almost entirely. I guess they ran out of budget so no dance for us this time.
Four more eps to go.

Preview looks kinda insane, seems like we're going back to the 765 girls, but something is gonna happen.

EDIT: So apparently momoko is actually 11. She could totally pass for 12 or 13, maybe even 14 haha.
While apparently chizuru is 21, though I dont recognzie her. Konomi is 24! And she's so small oh my

Oh. I completely forgor nao existed. Oops. Looks like she's voiced by watanabe yui, who I'm not super familiar with but I've been seeing her name for years
CocoaGalaxyNov 27, 2023 2:17 AM
Nov 27, 2023 8:42 AM
Sep 2023
was cute, but I'm a little bummed team 5th got sidelined so hard. I felt like half of team 4th had already been spotlighted in previous eps. Chizuru looked so good. and Konami in a suit was such a treat.

next ep looks super fun though! excited to see the og girls hanging out
Nov 27, 2023 11:38 AM

Sep 2007
Reply to StallionXD
But while I loved Team4th I wanted to see team5th, I wanted to see an episode with Serika as main 😭

btw it's kinda lame that we ain't getting lives, I hate when idol animes just do the PowerPoint-like presentation with the song in the background lol They are using CGI in this, I understand it is still hard but c'mon, they are idols, we want to see them dance!

Anyways, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE, IT WILL HAVE A LOT OF 765PRO ALLSTARS!
@StallionXD Considering the overall animation quality, I don't think just taking a live straight from the game would be too out of place.
Nov 27, 2023 6:02 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to RodIshiCi
@StallionXD Considering the overall animation quality, I don't think just taking a live straight from the game would be too out of place.
RodIshiCi said:
Considering the overall animation quality, I don't think just taking a live straight from the game would be too out of place.

I don't know what people are smoking or what standard they are using, but go get your eyes check or watch on a better monitor if you think Miriani CGI is somehow bad and is just comparable to the game.

Mirishita Official Twitter even made a side by side comparison of Star Impression from the anime vs the game, and you can tell the level and quality is completely different which you can clearly see in the use of lighting, shadows and reflections which isn't possible to do on a phone, plus the texture detail is also far higher in the anime. And that's not even taking into consideration the model art style is completely different.
https://x.com/imasml_theater/status/1723512433916973476?s=20
Nov 27, 2023 6:43 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to nanaholic
RodIshiCi said:
Considering the overall animation quality, I don't think just taking a live straight from the game would be too out of place.

I don't know what people are smoking or what standard they are using, but go get your eyes check or watch on a better monitor if you think Miriani CGI is somehow bad and is just comparable to the game.

Mirishita Official Twitter even made a side by side comparison of Star Impression from the anime vs the game, and you can tell the level and quality is completely different which you can clearly see in the use of lighting, shadows and reflections which isn't possible to do on a phone, plus the texture detail is also far higher in the anime. And that's not even taking into consideration the model art style is completely different.
https://x.com/imasml_theater/status/1723512433916973476?s=20
@nanaholic Well, I never said the CGI was bad, @RodIshiCi did it lol, I just said that it is hard because CGI animation is just as hard as 2D animation.
I really love the CGI they are using, I think it's one of the best out there (for anime), that's exactly why I want them to show us more lives instead of powerpoint presentations 😥
The live for Team1st in ep6 was 10/10
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Nov 27, 2023 7:13 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to StallionXD
@nanaholic Well, I never said the CGI was bad, @RodIshiCi did it lol, I just said that it is hard because CGI animation is just as hard as 2D animation.
I really love the CGI they are using, I think it's one of the best out there (for anime), that's exactly why I want them to show us more lives instead of powerpoint presentations 😥
The live for Team1st in ep6 was 10/10
@StallionXD Sorry I didn't remove the mention from the quote so you got dragged in. But yes my comment is in reply to @RodIshiCi.

Miriani easily has some of, if not the best full CGI of a television series to date. The only full CGI anime that is better I've seen recently that manages to successfully pull off the 2D cell shading look is The First Slam Dunk which is a theatrical anime so that's hardly a valid comparison. I don't know why people is constantly putting Miriani down when it comes to the animation department when that part is the most industry and fandom acknowledge portion of the show in Japan right now for finally getting to the point where CGI can look almost like 2D art when other shows, especially other full CGI anime idol shows before Miriani can't do it. There are many little details like in ep3 when Yuriko "melts" after training or in this episode as Nao puts her face on the table and their cheek deforms to show the softness of their cheek, there are lots of these little details they animate into the CGI to achieve the hand-drawn look which other CGI shows won't do but is overlooked by people.

Also don't worry about the live parts too much, it's just the quiet before the storm, as you can already see from the preview that we are entering the last stretch at full speed.....
Nov 27, 2023 7:36 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to nanaholic
@StallionXD Sorry I didn't remove the mention from the quote so you got dragged in. But yes my comment is in reply to @RodIshiCi.

Miriani easily has some of, if not the best full CGI of a television series to date. The only full CGI anime that is better I've seen recently that manages to successfully pull off the 2D cell shading look is The First Slam Dunk which is a theatrical anime so that's hardly a valid comparison. I don't know why people is constantly putting Miriani down when it comes to the animation department when that part is the most industry and fandom acknowledge portion of the show in Japan right now for finally getting to the point where CGI can look almost like 2D art when other shows, especially other full CGI anime idol shows before Miriani can't do it. There are many little details like in ep3 when Yuriko "melts" after training or in this episode as Nao puts her face on the table and their cheek deforms to show the softness of their cheek, there are lots of these little details they animate into the CGI to achieve the hand-drawn look which other CGI shows won't do but is overlooked by people.

Also don't worry about the live parts too much, it's just the quiet before the storm, as you can already see from the preview that we are entering the last stretch at full speed.....
@nanaholic I understand you may be unhappy due many comments dissing the animation quality, but, please, don't try to elect a single person to vent out all at once.
Strictly speaking about animation itself (motion), the game is better even on the comparison video due more frames, so it's more fluid. 2D animation feels different at 12fps because they're planned for that. Anime certainly is better in terms of texture and illumination.

I don't see harm in getting a live from Mirishita. I'd would help to advertise the game even more and, again, it wouldn't feel too out of place.

Of course, if they want to update textures and put some work in light, great. But even without that I'd rather have an animated live than slideshow.

Plus, there are some tricks to make 3D animation look good while trying to emulate 2D. Model and texture wise they nail it. Pick any still frame, and it isn't obvious that's 3D. But the motion with that low frame rate just scream 3D.
RodIshiCiNov 27, 2023 7:41 PM
Nov 27, 2023 7:57 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to RodIshiCi
@nanaholic I understand you may be unhappy due many comments dissing the animation quality, but, please, don't try to elect a single person to vent out all at once.
Strictly speaking about animation itself (motion), the game is better even on the comparison video due more frames, so it's more fluid. 2D animation feels different at 12fps because they're planned for that. Anime certainly is better in terms of texture and illumination.

I don't see harm in getting a live from Mirishita. I'd would help to advertise the game even more and, again, it wouldn't feel too out of place.

Of course, if they want to update textures and put some work in light, great. But even without that I'd rather have an animated live than slideshow.

Plus, there are some tricks to make 3D animation look good while trying to emulate 2D. Model and texture wise they nail it. Pick any still frame, and it isn't obvious that's 3D. But the motion with that low frame rate just scream 3D.
@RodIshiCi You are the one who says putting the game PV into the anime wouldn't look out of place, so replying to you is the correct action. If you can't take the heat, then don't make such a baseless comment.

Using framerate as the only standard of "better" is a simplistic and naive assessment of CG animation. Also you are incorrect that CGI don't factor framerates when rendering - it is something they absolutely do because only full feature CG films with budget of Pixar or Disney can work CGI in full 24FPS because - news flash - rendering at 24FPS costs a LOT of money (CPU time, disk space etc), so every Japanese CGI anime working with less budget thus then plan their keyframes just like how they do it with 2D. Modeling, texture, lighting all counts as well. So even when you acknowledge that lighting and texture is better in the anime, there only leaves framerate as the area which the game is "better", while the other parts the anime leaves the game in the dust.

Including the Mirishita PV which obviously looks VERY different to the anime doesn't promote the game, and it absolutely looks out of place.

Finally low motion of anime is a staple, most anime aren't even drawn at more than 10FPS due to budget constraints. It's only your brain tricking you to make it seems smooth. With Mirishita's 2d style, even the low frame rate is not as obvious as those which actually looks like polygon models eg Bang Dram 3D. Again, the CGI part of Miriani is easily the best and most objectively acknowledge part of the show by industry and fans in Japan right now, you are just focusing on frame rates to dismiss the entire thing is being needlessly critical.
Nov 27, 2023 10:12 PM
Nov 2011
Reply to StallionXD

@StallionXD Sadly it's the nature of the production. Would have love it if was 2 cours but they only ordered 1 cour and there were sacrifices made to a lot of characters screentime. The only solace is that the game is helping fill the gaps, but it's hard for those who don't understand Japanese to jump into it.

I've seen the last 4 episode 9-12 in Japanese theaters a couple of weeks ago, and the last remaining arc was really well done tbh (if you like the main trio that is).
Nov 28, 2023 9:14 AM

Sep 2007
Reply to nanaholic
@RodIshiCi You are the one who says putting the game PV into the anime wouldn't look out of place, so replying to you is the correct action. If you can't take the heat, then don't make such a baseless comment.

Using framerate as the only standard of "better" is a simplistic and naive assessment of CG animation. Also you are incorrect that CGI don't factor framerates when rendering - it is something they absolutely do because only full feature CG films with budget of Pixar or Disney can work CGI in full 24FPS because - news flash - rendering at 24FPS costs a LOT of money (CPU time, disk space etc), so every Japanese CGI anime working with less budget thus then plan their keyframes just like how they do it with 2D. Modeling, texture, lighting all counts as well. So even when you acknowledge that lighting and texture is better in the anime, there only leaves framerate as the area which the game is "better", while the other parts the anime leaves the game in the dust.

Including the Mirishita PV which obviously looks VERY different to the anime doesn't promote the game, and it absolutely looks out of place.

Finally low motion of anime is a staple, most anime aren't even drawn at more than 10FPS due to budget constraints. It's only your brain tricking you to make it seems smooth. With Mirishita's 2d style, even the low frame rate is not as obvious as those which actually looks like polygon models eg Bang Dram 3D. Again, the CGI part of Miriani is easily the best and most objectively acknowledge part of the show by industry and fans in Japan right now, you are just focusing on frame rates to dismiss the entire thing is being needlessly critical.
@nanaholic You're ignoring things that are the same, like rigging.
Overall, both lives have the same movements. There's no extra movement for hair, fingers, eyes or anything like that.
And rendering that amount of poly count isn't that costly. Take a look at Macross, their PV for songs features lives from the game (now defunct).

Just like you said the only advantage from the game is fps, the only advantage for anime (in this case) is texture and lighting.

And you seem to misinterpret me as a hater of Animas, I'm not. Heck, it's the 8th ep and I play the game, I usually speak about how the game excels in many areas, including its live animations. Of course, it's not without flaws, and you seem to agree since you spoke about higher frame rate like it being desirable, but out of reach, probably due costs constrains , which may or not be true since we're in an era where 1080p 24fps isn't that costly anymore, nor in computing power nor in disk space, an entire cour in a bitrate way higher than necessary, like 100mbps would fit in any media with a negligible cost.
I wouldn't discard the choice being aesthetics reasons, since 2D anime runs in low fps and going smoother than that may feel off for many.

Nov 29, 2023 5:31 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to RodIshiCi
@nanaholic You're ignoring things that are the same, like rigging.
Overall, both lives have the same movements. There's no extra movement for hair, fingers, eyes or anything like that.
And rendering that amount of poly count isn't that costly. Take a look at Macross, their PV for songs features lives from the game (now defunct).

Just like you said the only advantage from the game is fps, the only advantage for anime (in this case) is texture and lighting.

And you seem to misinterpret me as a hater of Animas, I'm not. Heck, it's the 8th ep and I play the game, I usually speak about how the game excels in many areas, including its live animations. Of course, it's not without flaws, and you seem to agree since you spoke about higher frame rate like it being desirable, but out of reach, probably due costs constrains , which may or not be true since we're in an era where 1080p 24fps isn't that costly anymore, nor in computing power nor in disk space, an entire cour in a bitrate way higher than necessary, like 100mbps would fit in any media with a negligible cost.
I wouldn't discard the choice being aesthetics reasons, since 2D anime runs in low fps and going smoother than that may feel off for many.

@RodIshiCi Nope you are wrong here. Miriani's version of Star Impression compare to the game is very similar but there are minor differences which leads to difference in rigging. For example in Miriani the idols holding a mic in one hand, and the other hand's finger motion is changed slightly compared to the game version such that it has more open hand movements, the game uses double fists in parts etc. Anna's hair flow is more complex in the anime which you can see in her turns that don't exists in the game's PV. The two are not close at all, especially not in the rigging. Rendering the polygons is not expensive, but rendering ALL frames in 24FPS and exporting that as video is because this isn't a game engine we are talking about, you are saving each frame individually as still pictures, that's why they don't do that in the first place unless they are Pixar or Disney production which has the budget to do so.

Again saying the FPS is lower is simplistic and naiive, check what this animator has to say about things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBoVomEOKbc

I'm not saying you are a hater of Mirimas, but I am saying your opinion that the CG quality of Miriani is barely game level is wrong. And no, the live PV in the game is not better than the anime, especially if you are just judging that on FPS alone.
Dec 25, 2023 2:53 PM

Nov 2009
HUH, Chizuru, did it just hinted she's SUS on something? "our customers..." WHO, WHAT? What did Chizuru do? what was she before this? lol...

And OOF... barely anyone in the stage, only like 3 ppls and they're just there to eat food, LOL.

Also, the new producer Rizzing hard on Konomi, lol. Just like all the other Idolmaster Producers do to their Idols.

And as always, Protecc those Smiles (◠ᗨ◠)

LOL @ the theatre play to attract ppls to go to the stage, LOL

Literally riding on Momoka's past profession, without Momoka, they would probably had to do some other sort of play.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 13, 9:27 PM

Jan 2010
I really liked this episode. Whenever the idols get to do anything other than perform, it gives a greater look into their overall activities, as well as provide greater variety to their lives. My favorite thing about Million Live is how they're always taking up various "roles," acting out themed scenarios and incorporating them into their performances. I'm kind of sad that we could get a song that was directly relevant to the stage play, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

More topics from this board

Poll: » The iDOLM@STER Million Live! Episode 12 Discussion

BlichoBoy - Dec 23, 2023

18 by Shocked »»
Apr 14, 10:07 PM

Poll: » The iDOLM@STER Million Live! Episode 11 Discussion

BlichoBoy - Dec 16, 2023

10 by Shocked »»
Apr 14, 9:36 PM

Poll: » The iDOLM@STER Million Live! Episode 6 Discussion

AkeZZZ - Nov 11, 2023

11 by Shocked »»
Apr 12, 10:00 PM

Poll: » The iDOLM@STER Million Live! Episode 5 Discussion

Boazanian - Nov 4, 2023

12 by Shocked »»
Apr 12, 9:25 PM

Poll: » The iDOLM@STER Million Live! Episode 4 Discussion

VioletRebellion - Oct 28, 2023

11 by Shocked »»
Apr 11, 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.