Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2023 9:55 AM

May 2022
First things first I completed all 12 episodes of the show and really enjoyed it for a variety of reasons! I ended up with an initial score of 9/10, but I am still going through my thoughts and believe Ill end up at 8/10 for this season of the show. All that out of the way.. lets discuss the topic. *Spoilers Ahead*

The scene where Makoto terrorizes, mutilates and kills the female Hyuman has me perplexed. Yes she was directly involved in the Illusion Cities first mana outbreak which caused the explosion that left some of Makoto's friends dead. But here is the thing though... that Hyuman had no idea the bag she threw contained very dangerous, reactive items. The explosion was.. an accident. That's right.. not at all intentional. In the real world she would have been convicted of manslaughter and jailed. Not deemed a murderer and killed. In this scene Makoto nearly puts all fault on the Hyuman and commits to an eye for an eye by slaughtering her like dog. After we see Makoto cry (I guess so I could sympathize and see how sorry he is.), and then he has a meeting to consider how to best do reactive mana waste management in HIS city. That's right after killing the Hyuman he is now considering how HE could better account for the dangerous mana he has littered around his city populated with hundreds of sentient species.

So yeah that was honestly a very irrational move from Makoto. Id never have made this topic if the anime remained fully committed to its comedy, but I noticed it threads on some serious plot as well, and that is great... but personally only when I am invested in a main character that is rational. Makoto is mostly rational... but in this scene what he displayed was an uncontrollable, frankly childish, maniac behavior that's devoid of any sensibility. 

To that end it's very hard for me to consider the rest of his adventure (and misadventures) as he seems mostly irredeemable in character. More to it I believe the writing of the show thus far seems to figure Makoto is worthy of sympathy and the show does glorify, animate well when Makoto walked towards the Hyuman and terrorized her before her butchering.    
LordKirkisFeb 7, 2023 12:53 PM
Feb 7, 2023 10:22 AM

Jul 2015
He acted on impulse and in a heat of the moment and said female did nothing to plead with him.
Not a noble act, but totally understandable.
Rimuru did something very similar on larger scale tho.
So basically you are arguing that not a Mary Sue means he is poorly written? That's dumb.

Feb 7, 2023 10:44 AM

May 2022
Piromysl said:
He acted on impulse and in a heat of the moment and said female did nothing to plead with him.
Not a noble act, but totally understandable.
Rimuru did something very similar on larger scale tho.
So basically you are arguing that not a Mary Sue means he is poorly written? That's dumb.
Rimuru from the Slime show? I dropped that one. Not a bad show, just not one I'm inclined to invest myself past say the 11 to 12 episodes I watched (I guess up until its set up/introduction.)

The female Hyuman did plea.. several times asked him to stay back. She even drew her sword and Makoto still kept coming. When she attacked he could have EASILY disarmed her (not literally which he did) and then knocked her out. Brought her back to town, put her to a short trial and then jailed. Instead.. 

They animated his walk of terror.. I suppose was to instill some awe in me, but I really was not impressed. I was enjoying a mostly comedic anime Isekai, and then it turned dark... which I love, but only when the ideas presented have context that make sense.

Mary Sue... yes I get that no one is perfect, but as I see it here that scene was a total escalation in character for Makoto. If I feel he is in any way poorly written its because he appears inconsistent compared to the first 10 episodes.  
LordKirkisFeb 7, 2023 10:54 AM
Feb 7, 2023 10:46 AM
Mar 2021
I think it's all in line with his character - We see from the start that despite him being comically OP, he will ask Tomoe for help because he might lose control of himself if he sees anything threaten the people he loves (see Toa rescue episode).

And then let's see all the things that happen before that murder; Someone is attacking his home city, someone just vaporised tomoe-fragment - which also hurts Tomoe, someone that he himself brought to the demi-plane where they were going to give them free stuff, they killed the kind orc, they attacked baby girl orc and ant dude - I don't know about you, but that would put me in a murderous rage...

"Manslaughter" and all those other things are for law and courts, they don't matter here. Besides, he looked into the memories, and saw that they started their attack for greed, not some misunderstanding or self defense. You can't seriously say when someone has attacked your home, killed members of your tribe - that you (or anyone) would say "hmm, I guess we should imprison these people and set up a court with a jury"
Feb 7, 2023 11:05 AM

May 2022
SayonaraSuckas said:
I think it's all in line with his character - We see from the start that despite him being comically OP, he will ask Tomoe for help because he might lose control of himself if he sees anything threaten the people he loves (see Toa rescue episode).

And then let's see all the things that happen before that murder; Someone is attacking his home city, someone just vaporised tomoe-fragment - which also hurts Tomoe, someone that he himself brought to the demi-plane where they were going to give them free stuff, they killed the kind orc, they attacked baby girl orc and ant dude - I don't know about you, but that would put me in a murderous rage...

"Manslaughter" and all those other things are for law and courts, they don't matter here. Besides, he looked into the memories, and saw that they started their attack for greed, not some misunderstanding or self defense. You can't seriously say when someone has attacked your home, killed members of your tribe - that you (or anyone) would say "hmm, I guess we should imprison these people and set up a court with a jury"

Have you ever seen Dragon Ball Z? The character Goku is a good example of a kind hearted, sensible character with near limitless power. Goku could very well obliterate anything and as much as he pleases. But he doesn't... not even when confronted against enemies that caused him great pain. Goku forgives most of his enemies (even his greatest).. sometimes its so he could fight them again, but he also prefers to see them change for good. (ie. Piccolo/Vegeta/Frieza being great examples) 

Setting Goku aside though.... the character Makoto is another character with near limitless power. But he acted extremely irresponsible despite all this power. He could have done so many different things, but chose the most irrational decision ever... which he regrets as the show demonstrates, but I honestly don't see the payoff leading up to the end of the season.... besides maybe impressing some fans of how "dark" the show is. That in itself really exudes very little confidence in what the rest of the story could be.

It kind of sucks to see because I actually believe the rest of the show is pretty good. This remind me of my relationship with Made In Abyss. The Golden City of the Scorching Sun was a fantastic new season, but some of the episodes (like episode 4) was regrettable and as some MIA characters put it "Irredeemable". 
LordKirkisFeb 7, 2023 11:15 AM
Feb 7, 2023 11:36 AM

Jul 2021
I agree that what he did to that woman was absurd, wrong on many levels. She basically commited felony murder, was awful to demihumans and all the rest, but makoto managed to make me feel bad for her.

But I don't think that makes him irredeemable, because he felt bad for the harm caused on others, and because it was directed a someone arguably very evil.
Feb 7, 2023 12:37 PM

May 2022
IhnalakoKaina said:
I agree that what he did to that woman was absurd, wrong on many levels. She basically commited felony murder, was awful to demihumans and all the rest, but makoto managed to make me feel bad for her.

But I don't think that makes him irredeemable, because he felt bad for the harm caused on others, and because it was directed a someone arguably very evil.

You may be right.. Makoto is still perhaps redeemable. It's just hard to see since this was all done at the very end of the season. Not uncommon to leave cliff hangers with shows like these as it helps drive further interest in the manga and/or upcoming season. 

I think the bandit woman was selfish, self-serving, racist, narcissistic, and crooked, but evil? I'm not so sure. They honestly could have kept her to flesh out more story beats and ideas.. Instead we have Makoto's first intentional kill. I am curious to see what they mean to do... I suppose Ill dive into the manga a bit. 

Edit: Oh its a light novel... yeah; Light Novels are usually strangely adapted from what I can tell.
LordKirkisFeb 7, 2023 5:37 PM
Feb 7, 2023 3:21 PM
Dec 2021
He is flawed. Not every MC needs to make the perfect decision every time. I find mc's more enjoyable when they make mistakes and poor choices because a flawless character can never grow. Subaru is a perfect example.
Feb 7, 2023 4:38 PM
Dec 2020
What's irredeemable is this take on Makoto's character. If you didn't notice he had some darkness in him before that moment, were you even watching the show? It was obvious, and I think you're missing the entire point of the show. The world he was dropped into is twisted. The humans are twisted. All the races in that world have intelligence, emotions, and empathy. The only difference is appearance, yet one species thinks it's ok to treat all others like animals. It's basically a racist ass world, symbolic of what humans in our world have done even within our own species. Makoto sees them as equals. He actually relates to them because he was treated the same for not being attractive. It's a fucked up world, and only a fucked up person would have a problem with the killing of an evil bigot bitch. Either you see the darkness that has been in that world from the very beginning, or you just think it's a fun show, in which case you completely missed the point. If you had a problem with gaining a glimpse of the underlying darkness, then maybe you shouldn't watch anymore when that darkness is faced head on. Only someone who lacks any sense of justice or empathy wouldn't understand why Makoto did what he did. Normal people get angry when they face injustice and evil. You even think that Makoto was crying because he was sorry for what he did, so you obviously don't understand shit. He was mourning the loss of his old world because this one is so fucked up.
Feb 7, 2023 5:08 PM

May 2022
Codyics said:
What's irredeemable is this take on Makoto's character. If you didn't notice he had some darkness in him before that moment, were you even watching the show? It was obvious, and I think you're missing the entire point of the show. The world he was dropped into is twisted. The humans are twisted. All the races in that world have intelligence, emotions, and empathy. The only difference is appearance, yet one species thinks it's ok to treat all others like animals. It's basically a racist ass world, symbolic of what humans in our world have done even within our own species. Makoto sees them as equals. He actually relates to them because he was treated the same for not being attractive. It's a fucked up world, and only a fucked up person would have a problem with the killing of an evil bigot bitch. Either you see the darkness that has been in that world from the very beginning, or you just think it's a fun show, in which case you completely missed the point. If you had a problem with gaining a glimpse of the underlying darkness, then maybe you shouldn't watch anymore when that darkness is faced head on. Only someone who lacks any sense of justice or empathy wouldn't understand why Makoto did what he did. Normal people get angry when they face injustice and evil. You even think that Makoto was crying because he was sorry for what he did, so you obviously don't understand shit. He was mourning the loss of his old world because this one is so fucked up.

Makoto was mourning because its sad for him to see beings die. That aside the majority of the show is comedic imo... it's hardly a show I'd watch for the plot and drama. The drama and plot only began developing and its honestly not as compelling compared to is comedy counterpart. But then again this is an anime series adapted from a Light Novel so I'm not even surprised by the evident lack of context demonstrated. Adapting a series like this from LN is not easy and so as it stands I wont bother having any further expectations from the series. I've been burned enough before to know how it goes anyhow.

LordKirkisFeb 7, 2023 5:17 PM
Feb 7, 2023 5:16 PM
Feb 2018
my take first humans are favored by the jerk of a goddess that took them from his world then dumped in the wasteland to die if she did need him she could sent him home.

second the general discrimination against other species like orc, dwarves, lizardman and akly (mio people) that he befriended by humans. Milles ace and his band of criminal adventurers must have also soured his view on humans along with lime latte and his group

finally the adventurer stole from and attack his people including an orc child causing one death and a number of injured because of this superiority complex of most humans Makoto read her memories of her assaults on demi humans.

on Makoto although not covered in anime in the light novel he struggles with emotions understand and display them that caused some problems for him before he learned to play act and it that automatic play acting caused him to cry after he executed the murderous thief
Feb 7, 2023 5:27 PM

May 2022
Paladin23 said:
my take first humans are favored by the jerk of a goddess that took them from his world then dumped in the wasteland to die if she did need him she could sent him home.

second the general discrimination against other species like orc, dwarves, lizardman and akly (mio people) that he befriended by humans. Milles ace and his band of criminal adventurers must have also soured his view on humans along with lime latte and his group

finally the adventurer stole from and attack his people including an orc child  causing one death and a number of injured because of this superiority complex of most humans Makoto read her memories of her assaults on demi humans.

on Makoto although not covered in anime in the light novel he struggles with emotions understand and display them that caused some problems for him before he learned to play act and it that automatic play acting caused him to cry after he executed the murderous thief

Absolutely.. Makoto was definitely pressed the whole time since meeting the goddess and being tossed into that new world. His encounters with the Hyumans were largely negative if not entirely negative. This eventually led to a boiling point and past that where Makoto did something questionable for a person in his position of power. 

Tell me though.... what exactly do you mean by "play act"? Are you saying in the LN its shown he is unable to understand emotions so he pretends? as in the case of killing the first Hyuman.. does he pretend to cry? He seemed genuinely upset to me, but tell me what you think. 
Feb 7, 2023 5:44 PM
Feb 2018
LordKirkis said:
Paladin23 said:

finally the adventurer stole from and attack his people including an orc child  causing one death and a number of injured because of this superiority complex of most humans Makoto read her memories of her assaults on demi humans.

Absolutely.. Makoto was definitely pressed the whole time since meeting the goddess and being tossed into that new world. His encounters with the Hyumans were largely negative if not entirely negative. This eventually led to a boiling point and past that where Makoto did something questionable for a person in his position of power. 

Tell me though.... what exactly do you mean by "play act"? Are you saying in the LN its shown he is unable to understand emotions so he pretends? as in the case of killing the first Hyuman.. does he pretend to cry? He seemed genuinely upset to me, but tell me what you think. 

Makoto like an emotionless person that learned to act and it became second nature to him they try to illustrate this in the anime with the dead bird and his mom tell him it sad when someone or something dies. it also why although he rejected the girl in archery clubs along with Tomoe and Mio much more aggressive advances. I think after the incident with the greedy adventurers it sparks something in him especially with his emotions centering around mio and tomoe it why in made them stay behind after she dropped him in between the human and demon armies as he was worried they be targeted by the goddess
Dec 30, 2023 1:24 AM

Jun 2015
and then he just casually killed thousands of garbage humans and loser demons in the next ep with a massive aoe freeze. and brushed it off.

I disliked the fact that he started crying like a little bitch after killing that blond.
Jan 12, 4:01 AM
Oct 2018
Reply to LordKirkis
SayonaraSuckas said:

Have you ever seen Dragon Ball Z? The character Goku is a good example of a kind hearted, sensible character with near limitless power. Goku could very well obliterate anything and as much as he pleases. But he doesn't... not even when confronted against enemies that caused him great pain. Goku forgives most of his enemies (even his greatest).. sometimes its so he could fight them again, but he also prefers to see them change for good. (ie. Piccolo/Vegeta/Frieza being great examples) 

Setting Goku aside though.... the character Makoto is another character with near limitless power. But he acted extremely irresponsible despite all this power. He could have done so many different things, but chose the most irrational decision ever... which he regrets as the show demonstrates, but I honestly don't see the payoff leading up to the end of the season.... besides maybe impressing some fans of how "dark" the show is. That in itself really exudes very little confidence in what the rest of the story could be.

It kind of sucks to see because I actually believe the rest of the show is pretty good. This remind me of my relationship with Made In Abyss. The Golden City of the Scorching Sun was a fantastic new season, but some of the episodes (like episode 4) was regrettable and as some MIA characters put it "Irredeemable". 
@LordKirkis So what, you expect/want him一 or any other OP chars to be like Goku? Whoever with limitless power thats a lil unhinged, immediately viewed as irrational, irredeemable? Lol, even in this real life world, not everyone is flawless
Jan 12, 1:12 PM

May 2022
Reply to AyemRivaille
@LordKirkis So what, you expect/want him一 or any other OP chars to be like Goku? Whoever with limitless power thats a lil unhinged, immediately viewed as irrational, irredeemable? Lol, even in this real life world, not everyone is flawless
@AyemRivaille Just gonna copy and paste what I said earlier just in case and to reaffirm my thoughts;

"The female Hyuman did plea.. several times asked him to stay back. She even drew her sword and Makoto still kept coming. When she attacked he could have EASILY disarmed her (not literally which he did) and then knocked her out. Brought her back to town, put her to a short trial and then jailed. Instead.. they animated his walk of terror. I suppose was to instill some awe in me, but I really was not impressed. I was enjoying a mostly comedic anime Isekai, and then it turned dark.. which I love, but only when the ideas presented have context that make sense. Mary Sue.. yes I get that no one is perfect, but as I see it here that scene was a total escalation in character for Makoto. If I feel he is in any way poorly written its because he appears inconsistent compared to the first 10 episodes."

I think the scene was a bit too edgy for my taste. I felt it could have sliced my head off from its edgy-ness. In any case season 2 is out now.. my criticism mostly comes from the fact that this aside I actually enjoy the show. I had higher hopes for it, but being that its a light novel adaptation and given what I saw from Makotos characterization.. I shouldn't expect too much.

LordKirkisJan 12, 1:21 PM
Feb 18, 4:11 PM
Oct 2018
Reply to LordKirkis
@AyemRivaille Just gonna copy and paste what I said earlier just in case and to reaffirm my thoughts;

"The female Hyuman did plea.. several times asked him to stay back. She even drew her sword and Makoto still kept coming. When she attacked he could have EASILY disarmed her (not literally which he did) and then knocked her out. Brought her back to town, put her to a short trial and then jailed. Instead.. they animated his walk of terror. I suppose was to instill some awe in me, but I really was not impressed. I was enjoying a mostly comedic anime Isekai, and then it turned dark.. which I love, but only when the ideas presented have context that make sense. Mary Sue.. yes I get that no one is perfect, but as I see it here that scene was a total escalation in character for Makoto. If I feel he is in any way poorly written its because he appears inconsistent compared to the first 10 episodes."

I think the scene was a bit too edgy for my taste. I felt it could have sliced my head off from its edgy-ness. In any case season 2 is out now.. my criticism mostly comes from the fact that this aside I actually enjoy the show. I had higher hopes for it, but being that its a light novel adaptation and given what I saw from Makotos characterization.. I shouldn't expect too much.

@LordKirkis Well idk bro, I wouldnt expect someone who literally lost their loved ones in that bitch's hands will still act all rational. Even I as a rational person, just "oh"ed of what Makoto did there. It is still make sense, in a twisted meaning, they hurt & killed Makoto's ppl, then Makoto did a revenge killed her too. And many animes also have that "logic" too, its not new. Its just smth dark

Also, whats that "the hyuman did plea"? After what she'd done? A big terrible shit they did? Literally just a few mins before she still so greedy and fucked up. And even when (before her hands got cut) she said that "stay back" while also insulting him! She didnt have any regret of her/their action before her hands got cut. Like bruh, she's hopeless.
"She even drew her sword" whats that supposed to mean? She drew her sword, solely bc she tried to threaten him, boldly think she can win/even kill him too. Its def not an act of surrender or smth like that, so why mentioned that? Ofc he still kept coming. Is that supposed to be one of the points in this whole "Makoto's snapped" thing?
AyemRivailleFeb 18, 6:17 PM
Feb 18, 4:22 PM

Aug 2020
??? Whats there not to get?

Its just the "edgy phase" of these shitty power fantasy shows. You'll notice that almost every isekai does this.
Keep scrolling
Apr 8, 9:24 AM
Sep 2022
This guy expects all MCs to be like Goku... You're in the wrong category of anime then.

Its pretty reasonable for Isekai MCs to pursue vengeance when some outside force has hurt someone they care about especially when they invited said outside force through good will..

What an abysmal take dude.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2021

74 by Garrett_Dark »»
Sep 6, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2021

143 by Hstarvy »»
Sep 4, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2021

116 by pansz »»
Aug 26, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2021

78 by pansz »»
Aug 26, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2021

83 by pansz »»
Aug 26, 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.