Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2010 11:24 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was confusing.. maybe I need to rewatch the episode..

I don't understand why Reiha was so upset.. she was apart of the shinma protectors? and why did she say that chiefs daughter was her?

Maybe it will become more clear when the series is over??
Jun 22, 2010 11:16 AM

Nov 2009
this wasnt such a bad epi... i liked it... but when Reiha said "Because she's me" i was SO confused!!! i was like her as in they have related problems or like her as in past me or something... it was weird!!!
Jun 19, 2014 4:31 PM

May 2012
Pretty interesting episode, the episodes are getting rather complicated!
Apr 11, 2020 7:41 PM

Jun 2010
Rather like a Edo-era wandering swordsman kind of story, which made it seem like a different series. Parts of it were rather confusing; if the village was in some sort of pre-modern time-warp (the clothes, ignorance of what police are, etc.) why were there electric lines running through the village? Was that girl literally Reiha (how?) or was that a badly-translated line? This is also the second time Reiha has said that she and Miyu are now enemies; maybe it will stick this time!

Fleshing out Reiha and a downbeat story about Miyu trying to help humans for once but failing disastrously are solid ideas but the execution of this episode was pretty poor.
Dec 22, 2020 4:22 PM
Dec 2019
It seems to me that this episode is an attack on the rigidity of traditions because both the father and daughter were almost throwing themselves at death's door to try to save face and fulfill their duty. The fact that the shinma said their souls are embedded in the flag might be a metaphor for how much people invest in their reputation and on-paper deeds. In the end, it was the flag that killed the final shinma and I don't think that was just the storyboard artists throwing that in there for laughs.

I don't know if the episode was condeming the villagers, but it's clear that the episode was intent on portraying their selfishness. More specifically, the villagers had this expectation that the chief and his daughter should readily sacrifice anything to serve them.

Reinha says it outright: "Despite your duties in the past, you need to live as a human now. It's silly to be bound with family and its traditional duties".

This isn't just Japanese culture. Coming from Chinese culture, mienje (face) is a big thing. People will pay a ton for lavish funerals they can't afford. Women in traditional Chinese families are expected to give everything for their family, including getting married off for a dowry, while the men are valued more. So perhaps these themes are not so relevant in contemporary society in the West, but I'm sure they still are in many places around the world.

This is the second time Reinha has empathized with a "daughter". The first time was when the Shinma was trying to run away with the man and she referred to the Shinma as the daughter of the man. That man was also trying to run away from the burdens of family and duty, as well as find a place for their forbidden love. Reinha is clearly someone who's been damaged by tradition, which would explain why she doesn't like Miyu, who is the traditionally designated Guardian.

All this is also interesting because it seems to contradict the two episodes valuing tradition- the one about the modern couple and the one about the guy and his Buddhist statue.

Oct 28, 2021 1:54 PM

Jul 2011
I'm confused about Reiha relationship with the girl. I'm guessing she meant she was a daughter of a Protector as well because if she was litteraly her, that would be very weird.
Also she is still pretty annoying and hypocritical getting mad over the girl dying indirectly because of Miyu why she has killed plenty of people directly. I remember all her douchebaggery in prevous episodes.
Jul 30, 2023 5:54 PM
Apr 2013
I still can't tell if this is a flashback episode or a time warp episode.
Nov 5, 2023 1:28 AM
Feb 2021
Interesting episode, nice to see more from Reiha, really felt unnecessary with some of the events at the end. 'the guardian killed all these people' no you did reiha. you did that. and also some goons. who would have killed them anyway. i feel like some of the miyu storylines are hamstringed by this sense of inevitability as well as a general distaste of women
Nov 5, 2023 1:30 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to Recynon
It seems to me that this episode is an attack on the rigidity of traditions because both the father and daughter were almost throwing themselves at death's door to try to save face and fulfill their duty. The fact that the shinma said their souls are embedded in the flag might be a metaphor for how much people invest in their reputation and on-paper deeds. In the end, it was the flag that killed the final shinma and I don't think that was just the storyboard artists throwing that in there for laughs.

I don't know if the episode was condeming the villagers, but it's clear that the episode was intent on portraying their selfishness. More specifically, the villagers had this expectation that the chief and his daughter should readily sacrifice anything to serve them.

Reinha says it outright: "Despite your duties in the past, you need to live as a human now. It's silly to be bound with family and its traditional duties".

This isn't just Japanese culture. Coming from Chinese culture, mienje (face) is a big thing. People will pay a ton for lavish funerals they can't afford. Women in traditional Chinese families are expected to give everything for their family, including getting married off for a dowry, while the men are valued more. So perhaps these themes are not so relevant in contemporary society in the West, but I'm sure they still are in many places around the world.

This is the second time Reinha has empathized with a "daughter". The first time was when the Shinma was trying to run away with the man and she referred to the Shinma as the daughter of the man. That man was also trying to run away from the burdens of family and duty, as well as find a place for their forbidden love. Reinha is clearly someone who's been damaged by tradition, which would explain why she doesn't like Miyu, who is the traditionally designated Guardian.

All this is also interesting because it seems to contradict the two episodes valuing tradition- the one about the modern couple and the one about the guy and his Buddhist statue.

@Recynon this is some pretty good analysis, props!!! Didn't think about Reiha's dislike of tradition, that factor's really interestign since she tends to seem even more anachronistic than Miyu between Matsukaze's existence and her more ostentatious outfit. You thought through this episode more than I did, good analysis-- honestly i forgot about the modern couple one, which ep was that?
Apr 19, 8:56 PM

Dec 2022
not a great episode compared to recent ones, daytime aesthetic is simply inferior, but some nice character development
and damn, RIP to daddy and daugther

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 9 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Jun 13, 2009

13 by Necromoecon »»
Jun 15, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 8 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Jun 13, 2009

10 by Necromoecon »»
Jun 13, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 26 Discussion

EuphoricField - Apr 22, 2010

20 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 20, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 25 Discussion

6 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 20, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 24 Discussion

5 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 20, 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.