Nov 2020
was it all just a movie all along?
DrkSeid69Apr 10, 2022 6:44 PM
Apr 10, 2022 6:23 PM
Jan 2019
good question lol
Apr 10, 2022 7:31 PM

Aug 2021
It's really up to the readers how they interpret it which is a great thing, people will have different opinion about it, so it's up to you how you interpret it
Apr 10, 2022 7:45 PM
Feb 2019
Yeah I think it was just a movie and in reality she really died.
Apr 10, 2022 8:10 PM
Apr 2017
Eri is gone and he is making the movie as a way to vent his feelings and move past her death the same way he did when his mom passed away. This would line up with the "bit of fantasy" comment just before the explosion and also reframe the last sections of the story as some type of remake of his original film(woman close to him dies, he goes to kill himself, gets sidetracked to make a movie) and his comment about editing the scene multiple times over the years.

Of course this is only one interpretation, a very popular one im seeing its assuming that absolutely everything we see from beginning to end is a movie just like you assume.
LuckezioApr 10, 2022 8:24 PM
Apr 10, 2022 10:07 PM
Jul 2021
Well it's up to perspective, but yes, I do believe all of it was a movie, the ending panel basically kind of confirmed it.
Apr 11, 2022 1:58 AM
Mar 2016
¿No...?
It's a manga, haven't you read it?

*explodes*
Apr 11, 2022 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
Juanmamola76 said:
¿No...?

*explodes*
😂😂😂😂😂
Apr 11, 2022 7:36 AM

Apr 2020
I think the part where Yuta goes back to the abandonned building as an adult wasn't part of a movie, as the framing wasn't cinematic at all, like it was throughout the entire manga

but of course that's only my interpretation

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Apr 11, 2022 11:28 AM
Dec 2020
Nah she’s really a vampire. She needed a soft reboot.
Apr 11, 2022 11:51 AM
Sep 2021
Maybe this is getting way too meta but I was wondering if maybe the whole point is that the entire thing is fiction? Both as a movie, but also as a manga? And everything that happens is all just acted out, from start to finish?
Apr 11, 2022 3:52 PM
Mar 2020
Here's how I interpreted the manga:
Up to the point until his mom's death, it was all real. From his birthday, until her dying was real (which includes his mom being angry with him). The screening, both of them was real. But other than that, all of it was fiction, with a sprinkle of reality in it. All of the things that happened could be faked if you think about it. Eri's hospital scene: the frame was looking upwards towards a window all of the time. Sure there was an IV pole there, but that doesn't mean that Eri was sick lying on the bed."But she was shown dying at the end of the screening, how could that be faked?" She was just shown only lying on a bed. Doesn't necessarily mean that it was the hospital's bed. Give her a makeup or two, and a beanie, and done. "How about the one where he time skipped to the future?" Well, what if that was still the present? What if... His father was the one playing as him? I mean, the facial structure was quite the same, he even said that he played at a theater once, shave his beard and there you go. His bad acting could also be faked. This could explain why Eri was still young. "But then, if it was all fake, why would he depict his mom as a bad person?" I thought of this too... Until I saw the scene where his father showed him his mom's final moment, which was a real scene. "Yuta, you have the power to decide for yourself how you'll remember someone." This is just how he wanted to remember his mother, as a bad person. Eri could just be Yuta's friend, and the interview at the end could also be faked. I mean, how convenient would it be to have someone sitting outside on a hospital's rooftop when you're about to commit suicide? And a school girl nonetheless who invited you to an abandon apartment with a movie setup on place. The main reason why I thought this was all fake was the frame where they reveal Eri was there at the end. For a manga that uses a POV perspective until that point, it was weird to have a wide shot for the reveal, and the close-ups for the conversation, when it could have been another POV shot depicting it. This could mean that someone was behind the camera,and that person could potentially be Yuta. Anyways, this post was way too long, thank you for reading it all the way through if you did. Potato.
Apr 11, 2022 5:10 PM
Sep 2016
The explosion at the end isn't real but part of Yuta's imagination (that or an edit for the movie which he's re-editing). Yuta has always loved fantasy and as a result of the abuse from his mother, he uses it as his means of escaping. He mentioned that he has always seen bad things in third person. Trauma can often cause people to see themselves from the outside as a way to distance themselves from it. The explosion in his first movie and at the end are both his way of saying goodbye to his mother and Eri. But notice the difference in both instances. In the first explosion, he's running away. His mother's death is too hard for him and having to film it is even more of a burden so the pinch of fantasy is a means for him to escape. Contrast that to the second explosion where he walks calmly and resolutely. This time, the explosion does not signify escape but closure and him moving on from his past tragedy. Stories can be a means of escape but they can also be a way for people to process tragic events and harsh realities. The explosion is cathartic way for Yuta to process reality (through a pinch of fantasy) and for him to let go of his past, of the death of his family and Eri which he was never able to get over (which is why he was always re-editing the movie).
Apr 12, 2022 4:29 AM

Nov 2020
Leysoh said:
I think the part where Yuta goes back to the abandonned building as an adult wasn't part of a movie, as the framing wasn't cinematic at all, like it was throughout the entire manga

Am I stupid cause I thought Eri was actually a vampire all along XD. And the explosion in the end was just his way of leaving it all to the past?
Apr 12, 2022 6:36 AM
Oct 2019
Juanmamola76 said:
¿No...?

*explodes*

Lmaoooooooo💀
Jul 29, 2022 9:10 PM
Oct 2015
im thinking this has similarities to the ending of inception.
we aren't really supposed to know if this is a movie or reality.

where spoiler:

the protagonist successfully extracts the idea, and comes back to the "real world" however he spins the top, and if it falls its the real world, but if it spins forever they are still in the dream world.
however the movie cuts before showing the result of the spinning top.
Jul 29, 2022 11:03 PM

Mar 2022
it was a wild fiction all along to me. very epic for such a small story, leaving it all on the reader's interpretation
Dec 17, 2022 5:31 PM
May 2022
If it was one movie why would he leave in the part, where he is making up the plot which is later on actually happening. Doesnt make much sense other then he intended to confuse the viewers on whats real and whats fantasy.

But him trying to kill himself just to be saved by Eri in last second... and then going to abandoned building to watch movies with her doesnt really make sense either. Its just too convenient. Also her actually being sick? Right after he makes up the story in which the vampire is about to die? And his whole family dying in car accident? Again way too convenient.

Its interesting, because if we go with it being one movie from first chapter till last chapter interpretation... then its kinda trippy because Yuta making a movie to confuse the viewers and Fujimoto making a manga to confuse the readers is basically the same thing.. if you know what i mean... so saying its one big movie is pointless since its already manga lol..
Dec 27, 2022 6:56 AM
Nov 2021
I think the ending was part of the movie and the adult Yuta was just his dad
Jan 15, 2023 12:26 PM

May 2008
DrkSeid69 said:
I think it was, the last frame with explosion confirms it for me. So it was a movie with another movie inside (about Eri), which referenced previous movie (about the mom). Very meta but not overdone.
Feb 8, 2023 9:58 AM
Feb 2019
YES THE WHOLE FREAKING THING WAS THE MOVIE MY MIND IS STILL BLOWN MONTHS LATER 😂😂
Feb 12, 2023 7:18 PM

Feb 2021
DrkSeid69 said:

That is exactly why is good, cuz we don't know and can intérpreted how we want to.

Eri was his imagination all alone ? Eri was real but really died? Eri NEVER died and was the plot for the movie
Eri was a vampire for real ,?

The only thing we KNOW IS REAL is the mom movie. The abuse and the mocking for the screenplay.
Feb 13, 2023 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
No, it was a manga all along. That is the whole thing about it. It is a piece of fiction so stuff like that can happen without author explaining it. (at least that is how I see it)
Apr 1, 2023 7:47 PM

Jul 2011
What was missing all those years was explosions. That's it.

People wanted him to make a movie, but he wanted to make it on his own terms.

He didn't particularly care about making a legacy, he just wanted to make something cool.
Apr 14, 2023 1:38 PM

Feb 2014
When we saw Eri it came to me that Yuuta wasn't actually Yuuta, but his dad playing him.
Jun 20, 2023 10:26 AM
Jun 2020
My interpretation was that Yuta died in the accident with everyone else and in his final moments, he went back to where it all started.
Jun 30, 2023 1:14 PM
Aug 2022
Prasinosxalvas said:
Leysoh said:

Am I stupid cause I thought Eri was actually a vampire all along XD. And the explosion in the end was just his way of leaving it all to the past?

SAME LOL i genuinely believe that eri was an actual vampire and then after seeing that final panel i just laughed and interpreting it as fujimoto's way of trolling everybody and just leave it at that? lmao unlike other guys who came up with more logical explanation, am i really stupid? lol but yeah this type of one that gets readers to decide what in the actual fuck is this about, it's up to readers to interpret, since Fujimoto didn't say that if everything that happened in the one shot was just a movie all along or it was real. Fujimoto wrote it like that so we can talk and discuss it like this
Jul 27, 2023 8:11 PM
Aug 2016
FinnMertens said:
The explosion at the end isn't real but part of Yuta's imagination (that or an edit for the movie which he's re-editing). Yuta has always loved fantasy and as a result of the abuse from his mother, he uses it as his means of escaping. He mentioned that he has always seen bad things in third person. Trauma can often cause people to see themselves from the outside as a way to distance themselves from it. The explosion in his first movie and at the end are both his way of saying goodbye to his mother and Eri. But notice the difference in both instances. In the first explosion, he's running away. His mother's death is too hard for him and having to film it is even more of a burden so the pinch of fantasy is a means for him to escape. Contrast that to the second explosion where he walks calmly and resolutely. This time, the explosion does not signify escape but closure and him moving on from his past tragedy. Stories can be a means of escape but they can also be a way for people to process tragic events and harsh realities. The explosion is cathartic way for Yuta to process reality (through a pinch of fantasy) and for him to let go of his past, of the death of his family and Eri which he was never able to get over (which is why he was always re-editing the movie).
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for this informative comment!
Nov 7, 2023 6:06 PM

Oct 2019
Yes.

idk why some people are saying it's left for interpretation. The entire manga was a movie (In universe) with an extremely meta narrative.

I mean if the vampire and explosions didn't give it away, the older main character looking like the dad should have done the trick.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Nov 16, 2023 2:47 AM

Apr 2017
Yes, the entire thing is basically a framed narrative, each layer becoming progressively "wider":

Layer 1: Dead Mother Explosion. Yuuta shoots Dead Mother Explosion, a movie about his terminally ill mother, which ends with her hospital exploding while she is dying.

Layer 2: Goodbye Eri. Dead Mother Explosion is shown at the school festival to universal disapproval. Yuuta is determined to take his own life, but meets Eri, who gives him a new reason to live. Together, they shoot a second movie, Goodbye Eri, that he would show at next year's school festival. We find out (more on this later) that Yuuta's mother was actually very picky about what Yuuta recorded of her and how he did it, and cruel to him when he didn't get it right. Goodbye Eri is comprised of Dead Mother Explosion plus all the footage of Yuuta, Eri and Yuuta's parents—including footage (well, panels) you think is candid and/or was not planned to be shot.

Layer 3: Sayonara Eri. The real Eri dies, Goodbye Eri is screened at the school festival to universal acclaim. However, Yuuta is unsatisfied with the finished product and becomes consumed with improving upon it, even after becoming an adult and creating his own family. Then, his family is killed in an accident, and he once again records a suicide note before going to hang himself in the abandoned building where he and Eri used to watch movies. He meets a young Eri there, who confesses to being an actual vampire and being content with having Goodbye Eri to remember her and Yuuta by. Once again dissuaded from committing suicide, Yuuta walks away from the building, which explodes.

Layer 3 is basically the manga itself i.e. everything you, the reader, sees on the page. You are reading a collection of scenes that have been curated by its creator, picked beforehand to establish a particular narrative with twists and turns—just like how Layer 3's Yuuta constructs the narrative of the story between Layer 2's Yuuta and Eri.

Layer 4: the artist. We do not see anything about this layer, but know that it's there because the finished product we are seeing (Layer 3) was put together by someone. However, we only see the result of this curating process, what was selected of "thousands of hours of footage" (i.e. many possible drafts), and nothing outside of it.

Every new layer overturns something about the layer before it: how Yuuta painted a much better picture of his mother, how the explosion wasn't just because he "liked fantasy", and, of course, the revelations about Eri "actually" being a vampire. It is all built on twists, and each one announces a new layer.

* I'm using Goodbye Eri to refer to the in-universe second movie, and Sayonara Eri to refer to the real-life manga.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sayonara Eri Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ArtaRay - Apr 10, 2022

182 by swagchungussette »»
May 28, 6:30 PM

» How in the living fuck did fujimoto make a manga Satoshi kon movie?

APolygons2 - Nov 7, 2023

8 by Masshiroi »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:36 AM

» I want to have an anime's adaption

1datd - Apr 14, 2022

22 by Yuri_Niji »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:19 PM

» Where can I read this Manga?

de_dencin - Oct 28, 2022

4 by jm0nk3y77 »»
May 15, 2023 8:56 PM

» Any info for an English physical release of this?

wasian118 - Jun 21, 2022

8 by ogblynz »»
Apr 17, 2023 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.