Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2021 4:10 AM
Jan 2019
Hi everyone!

I created a site to sort people's list by popularity. I was curious about this information and I didn't see a way to do it on this site nor did I find a different web app that does it, so I decided to make one for my first project. I'm pretty much a beginner and this is mostly for academic purposes, but the site should work fine and I will try to implement any suggestions in the future if possible!

Site link: https://sort-mal-by-popularity.herokuapp.com/

Thanks everyone for checking it out!
Jun 21, 2021 7:35 AM

Dec 2019
Nice work!
*That doesn't work, when I enter hacker09 I just get Error! ¬¬
This has been requested for so long.

One of my projects that I'm kinda close and kinda far to do is to organize the anime list by the time the franchise takes to be watched, that will be a nice project and script I will do when I have time.
Jun 21, 2021 9:39 PM
Jan 2019
hacker09 said:
Nice work!
*That doesn't work, when I enter hacker09 I just get Error! ¬¬
This has been requested for so long.

One of my projects that I'm kinda close and kinda far to do is to organize the anime list by the time the franchise takes to be watched, that will be a nice project and script I will do when I have time.

Hi. Thanks for checking out my site! There was a problem with loading longer lists and updating the database daily. The problem should be fixed for now as long as scheduler updates the database correctly.

Thanks again!
Jun 22, 2021 12:24 AM

Aug 2011
Awesome! I wish MAL would offer more sorting options like this.

It was especially interesting to see which anime I've seen that were the LEAST popular. I'm definitely bookmarking this.
Jun 22, 2021 4:38 AM

Dec 2019
I once got a message saying "very empty..." when I chose to see my completed list, also the anime rows are ridicuously huge, I think that if you make them smaller you can display all info in the page and make the website results look much better.

What I would suggest now is that you make the website also sort the anime lists by MAL TOP's ranked animes.

*When I click on next page sometimes the next page is 100% black
*Also like let's say the last anime on page 3 is on the 1010 popularity rank, the next page shows animes that are around the 100 rank of popularity...
hacker09Jun 22, 2021 5:29 AM
Jun 22, 2021 6:00 AM
Kuroni_Kuru

Dec 2020
Yo, impressive job!

EDIT: The site does appear to be somewhat finicky though. When I first entered my name, it seemed to be working fine, but when I tried to load page 2 on my list, the data became... "garbled", for lack of a better word. It's still an impressive first project, don't get me wrong, it just seems the site is prone to errors.

For example, when I sort it by Completed, it says that the most popular anime I've seen is One Punch Man (even though I've seen Death Note, which is the most popular anime on this entire site). It also seems to completely make up scores. (It says that "Kuroni_Kuru's score" for One Punch Man is a 10/10. I liked OPM, but it definitely doesn't have a 10/10 on my list.)

In fact the entire first page of my "completed" list seems off. Steins;Gate, No Game No Life, Demon Slayer, Code Geass, Noragami, Re:Zero, Mob Psycho 100 and Spirited Away all appear on the list, even though I've never watched any of them, and they even have scores attached to them. (Apparently I gave Code Geass and Spirited Away a 9/10, LOL. Can't wait to watch them.)

Refreshing the page seems to resolve most of these issues though, but it might still be something worth checking out...

EDIT 2: Whoops, I spoke too soon. Refreshing seems to only fix page 1, all the other pages are still off, even if I refresh them...

EDIT 3: Apologies for adding so many edits, but I just checked the other sections, and they seem to be a bit off as well. The website seems to think that I've only got three series on my PTW list (even though my PTW list is actually bigger than my completed list, LOL). And my watching/dropped lists appear to be completely empty. (The latter of which fixed itself after I refreshed the page, and the former I assume is because I've got less than 10 series listed as watching?)
Mirai_KuromaruJun 22, 2021 6:22 AM
Formerly known as Kuroni_Kuru
Jun 22, 2021 3:48 PM
Jan 2019
Kuroni_Kuru said:
Yo, impressive job!

EDIT: The site does appear to be somewhat finicky though. When I first entered my name, it seemed to be working fine, but when I tried to load page 2 on my list, the data became... "garbled", for lack of a better word. It's still an impressive first project, don't get me wrong, it just seems the site is prone to errors.

For example, when I sort it by Completed, it says that the most popular anime I've seen is One Punch Man (even though I've seen Death Note, which is the most popular anime on this entire site). It also seems to completely make up scores. (It says that "Kuroni_Kuru's score" for One Punch Man is a 10/10. I liked OPM, but it definitely doesn't have a 10/10 on my list.)

In fact the entire first page of my "completed" list seems off. Steins;Gate, No Game No Life, Demon Slayer, Code Geass, Noragami, Re:Zero, Mob Psycho 100 and Spirited Away all appear on the list, even though I've never watched any of them, and they even have scores attached to them. (Apparently I gave Code Geass and Spirited Away a 9/10, LOL. Can't wait to watch them.)

Refreshing the page seems to resolve most of these issues though, but it might still be something worth checking out...

EDIT 2: Whoops, I spoke too soon. Refreshing seems to only fix page 1, all the other pages are still off, even if I refresh them...

EDIT 3: Apologies for adding so many edits, but I just checked the other sections, and they seem to be a bit off as well. The website seems to think that I've only got three series on my PTW list (even though my PTW list is actually bigger than my completed list, LOL). And my watching/dropped lists appear to be completely empty. (The latter of which fixed itself after I refreshed the page, and the former I assume is because I've got less than 10 series listed as watching?)

Hi!

Thanks for checking out my site!

I entered your username on the site through my side and it seems to be working fine for me? Death Note is the most watched, OPM is rated a 7, Code Geass is unrated and your PTW list is long. Is it possible that you typed in your username incorrectly? If not, then I'll try to pinpoint what's wrong, though it may take awhile cause it seems to work correctly on my side.

Another thing is when I call the API for the user's list, the API doesn't send all the entries the user watched for some reason. For example, I used Pewdiepie's list to test out my site and one of the missing entries was the show "Air Gear". I called his list through Postman to see the contents of the call and couldn't find Air Gear in the API call. This may explain why a few entries are missing. Unfortunately, I can't fix a problem like this, so hopefully the API is fixed in the future.

Anyways, thanks again for checking it out and for the compliments and I hope you have the great rest of your day.
Jun 22, 2021 4:04 PM
Kuroni_Kuru

Dec 2020
Ktran said:
I entered your username on the site through my side and it seems to be working fine for me? Death Note is the most watched, OPM is rated a 7, Code Geass is unrated and your PTW list is long. Is it possible that you typed in your username incorrectly? If not, then I'll try to pinpoint what's wrong, though it may take awhile cause it seems to work correctly on my side.

I just tested out my list again and everything seems to be working perfectly now. However, I then tested my best friend's list out of curiosity. The first page loaded perfectly fine, but when I went to Page 2 it seemed to be using my list instead of theirs (including titles that they haven't seen yet and displaying the score that I gave them), despite the fact that it was still displaying their username. ("Kii_Ibarra's Score".)

I'm not sure if this is because I checked their list immediately after mine, because they're on my friends list, or because of some other reason entirely. Perhaps it was even just a coincidence? IDK.

Ktran said:
Anyways, thanks again for checking it out and for the compliments and I hope you have the great rest of your day.

No problem! I wish you all the best in developing the site and I hope that the rest of your day is great too! :D
Mirai_KuromaruSep 3, 2022 2:55 PM
Formerly known as Kuroni_Kuru
Jun 22, 2021 4:49 PM
Jan 2019
Kuroni_Kuru said:
However, I then tested my best friend's list out of curiosity. The first page loaded perfectly fine, but when I went to Page 2 it seemed to be using my list instead of theirs (including titles that they haven't seen yet and displaying the score that I gave them), despite the fact that it was still displaying their username. ("Kii_Ibarra's Score".)

I'm not sure if this is because I checked their list immediately after mine, because they're on my friends lists, or because of some other reason entirely. Perhaps it was even just a coincidence? IDK.

I had this problem a couple of times but I haven't gotten it in awhile so I thought it was fixed. I'll try to fix it soon!
Jun 23, 2021 1:06 AM

Aug 2020
Nice job on this site, it looks quite well done.

Though if you do multiple usernames in the same session and they don't have any anime on the section, it appears for the prior user. It looks like others have said this problem but apart from that the site is well done.

Also nice for including the animes the gifs come from.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Sep 3, 2022 2:42 PM

Mar 2018
Hi, sorry for bumping an old post, but does this not work anymore? I would really like to see what are the most obscure anime I've seen.

Sep 4, 2022 1:12 AM
Jan 2019
Hi FiliCZ,

It seems like the website isn't working anymore. I am very sorry about that. I don't have plans to fix it at the moment because of school, but if I do get around to it, I'll let you know.

-Ktran
Oct 2, 2023 2:05 PM

Jun 2021
Oh, it no longer works because of Heroku... 😔

Anyhow, we can now enable the 'Popularity' column in our lists on the List settings but you must be a MAL Supporter to show that column. I wonder if your site was similar to this MAL feature... I can't remember how your site worked or looked like but I'm pretty sure I checked it before. Too bad it's no longer operational and that MAL's 'Popularity' column is behind a paywall.
Oct 3, 12:18 AM

Dec 2019
broken..................

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

439 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:55 PM

» Plex Media Server Agent

Fribbtastic - Mar 23, 2013

21 by Fribbtastic »»
Sep 30, 8:28 PM

» Looking to Spruce up my About me Design

TheSunLife - Sep 27

6 by BitChilly »»
Sep 28, 9:28 PM

» 2024 Fantasy Anime Bingo!! - YT Video

inolzia - Sep 27

0 by inolzia »»
Sep 27, 10:05 AM

» 【 ART THREAD 】Let's share our art! ‪‪❤︎‬

mewmewforever - Aug 30

35 by Fario-P »»
Sep 25, 10:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.