Forum Settings
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 3, 2019 12:25 PM

Jul 2014
THIS IS A LIGHT NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
The most interesting / WTFs moments in this volume:
  • A long time ago Archie said to Emilia that the Elior Forest was created just for her.
  • Minerva also knew Emilia's mother.
  • Emilia invited Minerva, Echinda and the other witches for a tea.
  • Elsa is was a vampire (makes sense).
  • One of the Witches was apparently a vampire too.
  • There are (or more precisely were) four great spirits. Puck destroyed one of them, Melakuera.
  • Roswaal's copy of the Book of Wisdom has been destroyed by Ram.
  • Puck used up all of his mana and will sleep in a crystal for a very, very long time (probably more than a 100 years).
  • Beatrice's copy has been destroyed too.
  • Subaru + Beatrice vs. Great Rabbits was epic!
  • Roswaal uses soul transfer spell to transfer his soul into another body. That's how he was able to live for 400 years. The current Roswaal is the 12th incarnation.
  • Both Beatrice and Roswaal said that the Echinda Subaru and Emilia meet is different from the one they knew 400 years ago.
  • Subaru has made a contract with Beatrice, but because his mana capacity is almost non-existent, Beatrice knowledge will be useless now :D
  • Emilia thought kids are made by kissing. ROTFL :D
  • Roswaal said that Subaru was a Sage candidate, but because he choose a different path, he will no longer be one (or at least that's what Roswaal thinks).
  • Roswaal hired Elsa but not Meili. Interesting... Then who else could do that? It must have been someone who knew about him hiring Elsa. The mother Elsa and Meili talked about?
  • Echidna took over Cima's body and is walking the world again as Omega.

Some predictions / questions:
  • I think Annerose will have a role to play in the future.
  • All of the futures Emilia saw will happen, but most of them in the failed loops.
  • Why didn't Subaru use the unseen hands when they were fighting in the mansion? I know it might have not work but he didn't even try. Why?

Theory crafting:
  • What if Satella took the witch element to fight against Pandora, but because she was not compatible with it, she couldn't control that power and as a result the Witch of Envy destroyed half of the world?
  • If that's true, then maybe this is the reason Echidna hates Satella? Because she sacrificed herself?

In the discussion for the 13th volume I said that I realised the reason Echidna had for creating two great spirits.
She knew what would (or more precisely what can) happen in the future. She saw that Emilia will froze herself and would need help to unfroze - that's why she created Puck.
She also saw in the future that Subaru will need help - that's why she created Beatrice.
mozgowMay 2, 2020 9:18 AM
Mar 21, 2023 9:05 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This volume goes all over the place, tbh I was not much of a fan of how often Tappei skipped between scenes and characters' PoV across the chapters, it was too often and that kinda killed the momentum each chapter was building a bit.

Each of these scenes was kinda hype though, this is the climax of Arc 4 and it FELT like so, to read thus far and see all development paying off, is very rewarding!
My favorite bits with Rezero are when there is lots of tension and the reader doesn't know jack shit, now that is not possible for the climax of an arc.
Subaru is supposed to have already unraveled most of the mysteries and is not putting himself in such a situation unprepared again, I get that, so for those sections my enjoyment has to come from accepting that and the development we finally get for the characters

It was rewarding to see Garfiel's reunion with Frederica and the defeat of Elsa, though animated it is gonna feel even better, Garfiel is a much more enjoyable character when under Subaru's side, I m expecting a lot of him in the future. he was going crazy with the feats, even catching the blades with his teeth!

Elsa is referred to as a vampire due to her regenerative ability... I read the wiki, still confused and the LN did not explain it properly, guess it will be done later on since Meili did survive, not that I have much empathy with her, but I have more with Elsa, that at least showed some humanity at the end going to save Meili instead of taking the opportunity to finish Garfiel.

Coming back to Emilia's trials, at this point, it was obvious (to my sorry ass) that Echidna is a major troll and to liberate the Sanctuary, a single person has to conquer all the 3 trials (OKAY, doesn't make much sense to me, whatever), Subaru and Garfiel conquering them was just purely for character development, NOTHING ELSE.

Tangent aside, Emilia just overkilled with the 1st Trial, so the rest were just TOO EASY for her, kinda anti-climatic, but it was endearing to see 2nd Trial (a happy "if story"), the 3rd I m eager to see animated, to better get an idea of possible foreshadowing of the future concerning Satella.

Seeing Minerva meet Emilia was cool, but I wanted her to be able to see the Witch!
Also, Tappei is going crazy trying to mess with my head once again, I believe Emilia is Satella, but if she is her daughter, this complicates things too much, the last thing I want is an "Island VN plot" happening all over again, Satella and Emilia need to be the same person, FUCK!!
I want to ship them both, if Emilia is the daughter, how can I?!
Troll Tappei, TROLLING MASTER!!

I had problems with Puck's disappearance, but the fight against Roswaal gave me proper context to better accept things, and I was proud of Ram at the end, but sad to see Puck go, it will probably be a long time between him and Emilia's reunion...

Subaru's ploy to finally get Beatrice had me going crazy at the start of this volume, he was messing up too badly, of course, you would get that reaction when you choose your words poorly over and over again! He finally managed to convey it properly to Beako, in the end, without lying and telling her what she wanted to hear, it was a pretty emotional scene and a highlight of the series.
The build-up to this moment started way back with volumes 2 and 3, seeing it, both teaming up together too, later on, to take on that bunny fucker was HYPE and Emilia helping them, this made for a satisfying very conclusion!

Earlier volumes were DOPE due to getting you all fucked up while reading, the tension and mystery going on, these two final volumes have a different feel to them, but I don't dislike it, the development given to all these characters during this arc, was just insane, a ton of them got amazing progression, not only Emilia, this arc truly opens and expands the world of ReZero way further, despite being mostly a loop in between the Mansion and Sanctuary.

Some final words.
Beako and Subaru's contract was great to get more details, an awesome fight, and endearing to see both teammates after so long, but Tappei nerfed that shit quickly, sad we probably won't see such a display from Beatrice again.
The ceremony of Subaru getting his knighthood was warming to see, Emilia is looking quite a lady there (so regal and dignified)!!!

And for those that didn't get it, with "Addendum" Echidna is back, she managed to bypass her circumstances and fool death 400 years later, what a crafty witch. Yet this Echidna and the one from 400 years ago seem to be different entities, In my opinion, that is the byproduct of a very long time spent in solitude and obsession, within all these years, her Witchy ways only got worst, it is funny but also kinda sad, the old Echidna that Beako and Roswaal where paying homage to on the illustration is truly GONE...

After everything, I can finally watch S2, see how they adapted it, eager to do so, been 5 years since I watched S1!

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
-DxP-Mar 21, 2023 10:45 AM
Sep 20, 2023 8:56 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Same threads about volume 15 merged.

More topics from this board

» Favorite arc in Re:Zero?

IchbinIch-Anime - Oct 13, 2021

17 by Mdraj6996 »»
May 17, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Volume 28 Discussion

mozgow - Apr 19

0 by mozgow »»
Apr 19, 11:37 PM

» Best Re: Zero chapters across all arcs?

iGotIceInMyRice - Mar 12

7 by mohamedo_abuduru »»
Mar 26, 12:25 AM

Poll: » How do you rate Arc 7 so far (poll)

Danube123 - Jul 6, 2022

16 by MrResidentFox »»
Feb 20, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Chapter 20 Discussion

KelpRings - Jan 2

5 by iGotIceInMyRice »»
Jan 3, 10:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.