Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which medium of Overlord did you enjoy most?
Jun 13, 2016 12:11 AM

Feb 2011
Self-explanatory. However, lets limit the discussion to the the 1st 3 volumes. The anime seems to be the only one out of the 3 that has skipped over scenes from the source material. So, feel free to point out any differences you noticed. It isn't spoiler since this thread is limited to those who've followed at least 2 of the 3. All of them have their pros and cons, but what has more pros? What has more cons? No need to decide right away. Lets lay everything out on the table before you make your final decision.

I neglected to add drama CD because I don't believe it covers volumes 1 through 3 and I don't believe it illustrates the action or setting to begin with. However, I would like to know how many members actually listened to it and when they would recommend doing so. Well, I have a good idea when, but I don't believe the drama CDs cover all of those moments. I know most of you will choose novel, but give the others a second chance. Give one more medium a try even if you've only followed 2 of the 3. The novel isn't perfect and a different medium can cover areas the novel doesn't. It usually comes down to personal preference, but I'd like everyone to think about which experience was the most enjoyable up to volume 3.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 23, 2016 8:43 AM

Aug 2014
I could never visualize a series properly if I don't watch its Anime first.
The feel of the characters, traits and such helps me to imagine the scenario to its maximum potential while reading the novel.
Without Anime =/= Light Novel for me.

Normally skipped through drama CD, it kind of bore me out.
I should say I enjoyed the series in the form of Anime the most, followed by Manga and Light Novel at the same footing.

P.S:
I didn't even realize there's this thread until today!
And there's one on first impression too, might share it later on.
Your taste in Anime is shit.

Because you can't differentiate between what's good and bad.

How sad.
Oct 23, 2016 9:56 AM

Jan 2013
I don't like manga that much. Generally, light novels are better because they cover a lot of actual story, anime is fair because it is easy to watch and since we are shown everything we don't need to rely on imagining the scene, but usually doesn't cover much and have a lot of content left out.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Mar 16, 2017 5:27 AM
Oct 2013
I'll go for the novel. I have easier time visualizing images in my head than auditory or logical ones so I prefer the novel where my imagination can run wild and free. As long as the actions and descriptions are detailed enough, I can read straight for hours while enjoying it. Anime comes really close into it especially if done well.
Mar 27, 2017 10:27 PM

Apr 2015
Anime was most entertaining to me. I did read the published version of the GN but it's only on volume one and I can't tell if I like the manga or not based off of the first volume.
Apr 29, 2018 1:12 AM

Feb 2018
The novels are by far my favorites because the anime leaves out to many details and character moments.
Feb 24, 2021 8:56 AM
Feb 2021
Although the novel is further along than the anime and manga and has more detail than the other two, the anime definitely helps to visualize the scenes. Visualization is quite important for me, especially since Overlord is one of my all time favorites.

(The only part of anime that irks me is the CGI for the death knights... Wish they were done better)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» 1st impressions of Entoma

Reload - May 18, 2016

1 by Reload »»
Mar 28, 2021 8:31 PM

» Season 2: Anticipation and Expectations

Reload - May 18, 2016

1 by Ryuuryota »»
Jan 1, 2018 6:54 PM

» 1st impressions of Narberal (Nabel)

Reload - Aug 11, 2015

13 by ExplodingGirl »»
Mar 16, 2017 5:35 AM

» 1st impressions of Solution

Reload - Sep 10, 2015

6 by Reload »»
Sep 24, 2015 6:12 PM

» Other "players" besides Lord Momonga (Only anime discussion)

Dextix - Aug 6, 2015

7 by beast_regards »»
Aug 8, 2015 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.