Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 13, 2009 8:36 PM
Oct 2008
I was going to have a Christmas themed anime for this month, but the only one I could think of was Tokyo Godfathers and that's neither from the 80's nor obscure, so it kind of defeats the purpose. In lieu of that, we'll have some good old-fashioned 80's mecha that most everyone seems to have forgotten about: The Five Star Stories.

Five Star Stories features the political wrangling of an intergalactic empire with a focus on a particularly desolate desert planet where a new type of mech is being unveiled before a group of gathered nobles. I'm having to wing it because it's been a while since I watched this one, even though I'm trying to watch it again soon. Anyway, the whole thing culminates in armed conflict, but you probably figured that out already. It's all very large scale and operatic.

Definitely worth watching, far more than the anime we had last month.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 23, 2009 3:20 PM

Apr 2008
My problem with Five Star Stories is that it deseved more. Like in more sequeles, prequels etc. It just leaves you wonder about the rest of that universe and those interesting characters. It's like having "Legend Of Galactic Heroes My Conquest is the Sea Of Stars" (In which the animation is pretty similar) and having no following series. I believe if they were to make a Five Stars Story series at the time, it would have turned out great, like for example, the Legend Of Galactic Heroes series .
Dec 24, 2009 1:59 PM
Oct 2008
Yeah, the OVA is basically one book from the manga series. There's definitely a lot more to the universe that never gets explored and it is unfortunate.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Brittney vs. Debbie

Dodecahedron-O24 - Jan 20, 2014

0 by Dodecahedron-O24 »»
Jan 20, 2014 5:53 PM

» Suggestions for new additions to the list of anime

GreatRumbler - Aug 7, 2009

36 by Velcor »»
Nov 13, 2011 1:24 AM

» New members welcome thread!

GreatRumbler - Dec 4, 2009

4 by napolean86 »»
Oct 3, 2011 12:16 AM

» Obscure Anime of the Month: January 2011

GreatRumbler - Jan 30, 2011

0 by GreatRumbler »»
Jan 30, 2011 4:41 PM

» Retroshock 1: Cobra the Animation

GreatRumbler - Feb 11, 2010

0 by GreatRumbler »»
Feb 11, 2010 9:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.