Forum Settings
Forums

what would win dual wielding swords vs a spear

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jan 19, 2014 2:57 PM

Jun 2008
It depends on skill and if the spear man has a shield or not. With a spear you can't be very flexible so with no shield the goal is to kill on first attack, if you miss or the sword yielding guy is skilled enough to avoid it then you need a shield or you are most probably fucked. With a shield though you can block and attack again.
Basically the sword guy will try to get to close range. To do that he must avoid at least one attack. If he gets there then things aren't so bright for the spear guy and he can only have a chance if he has a shield to defend and then try to back a little and use his spear again.
Still though in close range the spears ability is limited.

Yielding dual swords mean you can't have a shield since both arms hold a sword. In a battle you are probably fucked like that but on one vs one you can win depending on skill reflexes and flexibility. If you are a person with such abilities then you can be a dangerous dual sword fighter, if not you are doomed since no shield means you have to avoid hits and for that you need skill, flexibility and reflexes.

dperolio said:
DatDanimexican said:
dperolio said:
DatDanimexican said:
There's a reason people didn't dual wield weapons in real life.

Lots of people have dual wielded in history. Dual wield is still used today as well.

Who in history used dual wielding regularly in combat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimachaerus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nito-ryu

Miyamoto Musashi is a pretty well-known example.

There's more than just those of course, but a few examples. Dual wielding has been highly effective in one vs. one.

Exactly. On one vs one is not silly but in a battle yes. There is a reason there is no dual yielding armies etc.

MagicalMahou said:
Spear. It's really just one throw then done.

Chances of dual blades being able to deflect such a projectile is zero to none

If you are gonna use the spear for throwing then you are fucked in a one vs one battle. You are the only two guys fighting, the guy with the swords has his eyes on you and he can easily avoid a projectile thrown at him. Then you have nothing and you are fucked as hell.
Throwing spears only works as a mass attack or in the mist of battle where chaos occurs and the other guy has to watch for a lot more other things coming at him than only your spear.

azzuRe said:
pauro19 said:
Devastation123 said:
azzuRe said:
Devastation123 said:
MagicalMahou said:
Spear. It's really just one throw then done.

Chances of dual blades being able to deflect such a projectile is zero to none

Its easy to dodge spear :/
And throwing away your only weapon isnt really smartest idea...

If you can dodge spear thrusts, then maybe you can dodge arrows..

Spear is one of the close range weapons that is hard to read, save the flexible 'slapping' Chinese spears, a spearman (anywhere in the world) basic stance is always point the tip to the opponent eyes, to give an illusion of depth that would makes it difficult for one to estimate the length of the pole and the speed of it's thrusts, while it's swipe is always wide where the tip of the blade is outside of opponent field of vision. Chances are, if you're within the spear reach, you won't see it coming.

In case of that experienced opponent i wouldnt even bother to dodge :/

There's always a weakness against any type of weapons or whatever it is move, because if there's none, then everyone will just be that kind of a martial artist. Experts will know how to evade spears, they sure are trained on how to deal against that technique of yours.

While it's true, there are far less experts in real battle, which is the reason why spears is used for millennium in combat for its simplicity and effectiveness in the battlefield, and that is why in most traditional armed martial arts, staff (or spears equivalent) is one of the basic arts one has to learn before advancing into the main weapon course.

The only problem is that you talk about spear thrust and throwing a spear which are two completely different things.
A spear thrust is made from relatively small distance giving little time of avoidance, meaning the opponent must be a skill fighter to avoid it and it doesn't come with the risk of throwing away your only weapon.
Throwing the spear though needs bigger distance making the possibility too avoid it(hell in one vs one is almost certain he won't get hit) quite big and it leaves you empty handed if that was your only weapon.
So why are you talking like the initial poster of this small quote debate talked about spear thrust when he didn't? Is annoying when people ignore what is said just to say what they find convenient.
MonadJan 19, 2014 3:13 PM
Jan 19, 2014 7:13 PM

Sep 2013
The sword will chop the spear in half...
Jan 19, 2014 7:39 PM

Mar 2008
meetyourmaker said:
My katana will chop the sword in half.
Jan 19, 2014 7:50 PM

Aug 2013
Having tried the spear method in a LARP, dual swords all the way.

It's just way too easy to brush aside a spear.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Jan 19, 2014 7:51 PM

Sep 2012
All I can think about is the scene in Indiana Jones where that guy has the two swords and is all badass, but then just gets shot.
Jan 19, 2014 8:01 PM

Jan 2014
Ckan said:
meetyourmaker said:
My katana will chop the sword in half.
sure... doubt it. then again some swords are really hard and thick.
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Jan 19, 2014 8:09 PM

Sep 2013
whose more masterful with their weapons.
Swords have more combos, sharp, and pretty precise.
Spears have more range, i'd imagine harder to control.
Jan 19, 2014 8:10 PM

Nov 2011
meetyourmaker said:

No
The Art of Eight
Jan 19, 2014 8:37 PM

Sep 2011
Depends if the guy dual wielding swords is a Jedi. Spear doesn't stand a chance against the force.
Jan 21, 2014 5:59 AM

Mar 2012
The spear guy might possibly win

A strategy using a spear is to constantly attack to put the pressure on the swordsman, and having a dagger/shortsword in the other hand will help alot just in case the spear is lost making the spearman well equiped for long and short range combat. besides, men have a natural tendency to thrust(if you know what I mean). So the spear seems more natural of a weapon.

The sword maybe versatile because of having the options to slash or thrust but in return a fuckload of training is needed to make a swordsman competent while spearmen require less training to be good at.

In short: The fight can go either way,but an average spearman can easily defeat a skilled swordsman.
Its 420 out there somewhere.

Jan 28, 2014 11:34 AM

Jan 2014
dankickyou said:
Dual wielding swords are a recipe for disaster. :/ A Swiss pikeman drives his pike into the swordsman from 18 feet away.

NotJizzyHitler said:
dual swords are impractical. It may look cool but in reality it just allows to much of an opening on you. spear would just bypass those missed defenses easier and even stay out of the swords range if the person doesnt throw the sword

spear would win very easily

There is a reason that you don't see many (I can't think of any actually) ancient cultures with a widely used dual sword technique.
Feb 1, 2014 10:54 PM

Mar 2012
Jackrabb1t said:
dankickyou said:
Dual wielding swords are a recipe for disaster. :/ A Swiss pikeman drives his pike into the swordsman from 18 feet away.

NotJizzyHitler said:
dual swords are impractical. It may look cool but in reality it just allows to much of an opening on you. spear would just bypass those missed defenses easier and even stay out of the swords range if the person doesnt throw the sword

spear would win very easily

There is a reason that you don't see many (I can't think of any actually) ancient cultures with a widely used dual sword technique.

Well, theres a class of gladiators in ancient Rome who fought with dual swords

the Dimachaerus.
Apparently, only highly skilled and experienced gladiators use this style and they are usually paired against the hoplomachus who are spear wielders.

Feb 1, 2014 11:21 PM

Dec 2012
A shield and sword is more beneficial than two swords, or even a parrying dagger. That said, the weight and force of the thrust of the spear would determine how possible it would be to parry. A heavy spear thrusted by a strong, experienced user would have to be dodged, not blocked. That would be more tiring for someone trying to dodge than the spear user, and they couldn't close the gap without the spear user making a mistake.

Even in close range, there is multiple methods to change grips on a spear to adapt to situations, and god forbid you include the modified spear-scythe-hammer-thing(I don't remember the name), with a hammer, scythe, and spear end, then you've got a very scary weapon. (as seen in Time of Shura)

Two swords means double the weight with half the strength and speed. There's little point, unless using a katar or other armblade where you can use the whole wrist to create force. The downside to the katar though, is your lack of deftness with feints / parrying / disarm / precision swings. (However, it is easier to block with the katar in general) The blade also tends to be wider, but in return with the greater force of using the entire forearm, causes more damage. (there are longsword-like katars, however)

Two katars vs a *I dont recall the name scythe/spear* spear user? Relies on a full block from the katar user, + closing distance, and that's still not a guaranteed loss for the spear expert even to be blocked and closed-in on. It's harder to operate in close range, but to be honest I'd say the spear user still has an advantage.

Shields change everything though. Shields with a convex shape can deflect the spear without trying to take the full brunt and can allow the closing of the gap quickly, and if there's a spike on the end of the shield, then I've got to give it to the shield guy.
CrimeIntraFeb 1, 2014 11:34 PM
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Feb 1, 2014 11:54 PM

Jan 2014
The reason why dual wielding was given to only one person in SAO, the fastest, is probably because otherwise people wouldn't be able to handle it, as powerful as it is, you need the skills and twice the thought processes...

Someone really skilled could kill someone with a spoon even if the guy had missiles.

I don't know about your skills. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
Lisa of Shades uploaded torrents as WolfPack at nyaa
Demotivational posters: Attack on Titan (SPOILERS, blood, sort of nudity)
*Insert wolf image here*
=°.°=
Feb 2, 2014 12:24 AM

Feb 2010
Screw this, I'm using a halberd.
Feb 2, 2014 12:45 AM

Nov 2011
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Screw this, I'm using a halberd.

smart person detected.
The Art of Eight
Feb 2, 2014 3:13 PM

Jan 2014
ArmorKingRulez said:

the Dimachaerus.
Apparently, only highly skilled and experienced gladiators use this style and they are usually paired against the hoplomachus who are spear wielders.

Hmm, interesting. Do you know anything about Roman betting odds for these matches?
Feb 2, 2014 5:37 PM

Dec 2012
Forgetfulness said:

And I'm pretty sure even with "twice the reflexes", people simply would not be able to handle dual wielding efficiently

Dual wielding is fine, as long as one of them is a knife/shorter blade. It's actually a Kendo tournament style called Nito. Traditional fencers also used either small bucklers or parrying knives. The concept of using two heavy longswords, however, is idiotic. There's no reason to have two large swords: you can have a shorter weapon for speed and a longer weapon for damage and reach. Having two shorter weapons is reasonable, since that's just focusing on agility. Having two heavy swords is less logical than having a claymore / bastard sword and a shortsword / knife in a belt sheath.

You know how Kirito crosses the two swords together to repel blows? Yeah, the mechanical advantage would be on the two hander, because the muscles in the wrist to block a horizontal strike with two one-handed weapons is far weaker than the biceps and triceps slamming a full swing down on you. At least a katar, you can cross your wrists instead of the blades and use the buckler part of the katar so you can use your lower back and hips like a linebacker.

So yeah, dual wielding should never have two long, heavy weapons unless they are attached to the wrist. That's the rule.

If you wanted to mix a flail with another weapon, for example, the flail is considered a long heavy weapon, so I would suggest a shortsword or smaller for the second weapon, though you could use axes and light maces as well.
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Feb 21, 2014 7:45 AM

Mar 2012
Jackrabb1t said:
ArmorKingRulez said:

the Dimachaerus.

Hmm, interesting. Do you know anything about Roman betting odds for these matches?

I have no idea, but personally I would look at the records of the said fighters.

If both are experienced gladiators : The spear wielder
Average Spear wielder and Experienced dual swords : The dual swords

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Do you have an obsessive desire to be liked or adored? ( 1 2 )

00002019 - Nov 10, 2013

71 by Stomiks »»
58 seconds ago

» do you still live with your parents?

FruitPunchBaka - May 29

34 by enigmasauce »»
12 minutes ago

» Why don't you have a cat/dog?

tsukareru - 4 hours ago

6 by DesuMaiden »»
29 minutes ago

» What do you smell like? ( 1 2 )

Theonewhorules - Feb 17, 2022

57 by DesuMaiden »»
31 minutes ago

» Why aren't Americans rioting over the fact that McDonalds is now a Luxury Item?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

26 by MalchikRepaid »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.