Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 13, 2008 12:02 PM

Nov 2008
i just finished the x/1999 movie and the ending was really sad! the animation was great. what do you think about the movie?
Dec 13, 2008 12:40 PM
Jan 14, 2009 2:18 AM

Oct 2007
I loved it, and my sister did too. I didn't like the ending. It was sad, but still.
Aug 3, 2009 3:51 PM

Jun 2009
Some hardcore fans will probably hate it, and it isn't very understandable if you haven't seen the anime or read manga but I really liked it. Nice alternate version of anime with sad ending.
Apr 12, 2010 3:04 PM

Feb 2009
I must say I didn't like it. The animation was great and it's clamp and all that, but... It can be described as slash-kill-bang-chop some heads off-end. All the beautiful relationships and deep emotional content were not included. The ending was not satisfying either. And most of all - there was absolutely no Subaru xo
May 16, 2010 8:25 PM

Dec 2009
True, it's a shame they didn't include the deep relationships between the characters

I didn't like the movie that much, however the animation was great and when Forever Love started playing at the end it was so sad. The movie has a very sad ending indeed.
Jul 26, 2010 4:21 PM
Jul 2007
Hi guys I was wondering where I can dl this movie? Found a stream but it didnt work on my PC. Do u know where I can dl it?
Apr 24, 2011 1:13 PM

Feb 2009
I hated the movie. worst part was definitely where Kamui and Fuuma learn about it all. It's soooo the same story, just different person who learn it. I found that sooo anooying. and the ending... Do not get me started on the ending >___> Did not do any justice.
Jul 7, 2011 12:08 PM

May 2010
It's a classic. My love for CLAMP began with this movie. I saw it in 1997, in one manga con. I was overwhelmed. It's the best start of familiarizing oneself with X. Those who already read manga probably won't be delighted. It certainly lacks depths of characters and between characters - or, does it really? For me, the depth of Kamui-Fuuma relation was obvious from the very start, as well as of some other people, even if it was only slightly pointed at. Apart from this...

It's epic. Art. Psychology. Emotions. Despair, choices, fate, love, desire... Shattered glass, sakura petals, feathers, fire and water, holy swords and chosen ones. Dreams, above all. Struggling for a future.

Design is fantastic, much better than in X TV. Music is... Well, I've never heard so psychedelic sound in any movie. It stays in your mind forever. The plot is so minimalist and so rich at the same time. And the end crushes you and leaves you unable to think or feel anything.

For me, X The Movie is a masterpiece and the best you can get from anime.
Nov 7, 2011 1:50 PM
Jul 2007
I agree with you clio. A lot of people dislike it, but I actually like this movie for the realism and the art. It's the dark emotions you can easily feel from this movie that draw me to it.
Oct 15, 2012 5:28 PM

Oct 2012
Good points - Stunning animation, great music.

Bad points - Everything else.

This is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE adaptation of such an excellent manga. There is NO plot WHATSOEVER. All it is it one mindless killing spree. The characters all look good but have as much personality as a paperclip. The action is all over the place and it's very hard to understand if you have not read the manga. Even for fans (like myself), this is a shitty movie.

WHY was this movie even made when the manga had hardly any chapters out is beyond me.

Do yourself a favor and read the X manga (it'll be even better if you read the prequel, Tokyo Babylon), then watch the Tokyo Babylon ova's (though the stories are unique to the anime) and then watch the X anime (though it's not great, but again; has great animation and music and it's quite good).

Do not waste time on the movie.
Sep 13, 2013 2:15 AM

Mar 2012
^This guy has it right. Then again, I watched this with no prior understanding of the franchise just because I heard it was terrible and I'm secretly a masochist.

It took me three hours to watch this 100-minute trainwreck of a movie. It's great if you're just looking to kill some time. You can easily turn your brain off and watch the pretty moving pictures. It's not like you'll miss anything important in the non-existent plot.
Hell, the only character I even took any interest in was Hinoto and that was just because she looked neat.

Oh, shit, I just saw this:
superzombie23 said:
I actually like this movie for the realism...

The realism? Are you shitting me?
What fucking realism?
We're dealing with dragons and people with fucking superpowers. How is this at all realistic?

THEN there's the "final battle". I'll sum this up with the sounds that could be heard as I watched it.

*Clang* *Splort* *Facepalm*

Then MC What'shisface holds Other Guy's severed head and cries for 30 seconds. Roll credits.
What kind of shitbird ending is that?
Everybody's dead and I'm just as clueless as when the movie began, if not more-so.

I tried to watch the series a couple days ago. I got through episode 3 and was still in the dark, so I called it.
I don't think I'll be touching any more CLAMP adaptations. I got all the good ones under my belt already.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jan 11, 2014 5:07 PM

Apr 2012
I don't think it's a slash-fest, most the early battles are over far too quickly, with the first half having a really slow, deliberate pace, with a nice brooding atmosphere and mostly consisting of surreal dream sequences. I'm a sucker for old-school supernatural / sorcery though (Doomed Megalopolis*, Demon City Shinjuku are fairly similar to this), so don't really get bored by this, I like that sort of thing.

However, its main sin is the weakness of the characters' motivations. Fuuma, Kanoe and even Kamui's motivations are so undeveloped it's maddening. They make some pretty huge choices but we have absolutely no idea why. So when they ultimately fight we don't really care. You can also feel the other characters had some sort of depth to them, though they're hardly explored here.

*also by Rintaro actually, with the same positives (nicely made, quite spellbinding) and same drawbacks (flawed/stagnant storytelling) common to his work.
BlackoutingJan 11, 2014 5:43 PM
Jun 2, 2014 3:24 AM

Mar 2012
I watched it recently as well, as I have been trying to get through all the stuff I missed back when I was an early teens lately (circa 2002). I should also add that I haven't read the manga and only watched the first few episodes of the tv version back then as well and not knowing much about the general story. Either way, it is one of the most beautifully animated and realized anime films from the mid-90's that I have seen recently. Sure, it isn't perfect and like some other single film adaptations could use a bit more running time, but it is something to behold and appreciate for the many merits I feel it has.

X/1999 represents to me why I enjoy anime/animation so much, it is absolutely gorgeous to look at and to me perfectly captures a visual pitch and intensity that makes the "style vs. substance" debate seem a bit myopic. There is also the old idea that animation can give complete control to the creators/production staff in creating a images and stories, and this film, with its constant barrage of motifs, symbols, colors, camera movements and visual effects are awesome even if they do not directly relate to one another or maintain their original signifiance (Evangelion's use of mismatched symbolism comes to mind, as it makes the work even more compelling). There are many examples. But choices like rendering the film's "extras" in a more realistic manner while keeping CLAMP's character designs in main ensemble showcases thought; why do that instead of maintaining congruity? Are the heroes/villains marked as special or set apart in the narrative, or was it merely the result of other limitations like time or money? Work was done here, and it shows, even if it is not in the way that it perhaps should of been in the eyes of some/many.

ALSO, I never understood why so many people can't seem to enjoy or appreciate works that are not strictly bound to the expectations of "plot" and "things happening." Things that are beautiful/ugly have a substance of their own, and making a more visual/stylistic work can be hamstringed by dense plotting or contrived editing the same way a more action/reaction based story can be obscured by distractions in under-writing or even a lack of visual style or identity. There are lots of debates around this topic, and X/1999 is important because it can act as a way to work these aesthetic preferences out.

It seems to me like the consensus about the movie has changed for the worse, as it seemed like it was a big deal back in the day (the TV series coming out, more people reading the comic I guess?). And while people may dislike this movie (and others like it, by Rintaro or otherwise), I think it is similar to the mood and purpose that (for example) Disney's "Fantasia," the docking sequence in "2001: A Space Odyssey," or something like Fellini's "Satyricon" in that beautiful and grotesque "things" are allowed to play out in a more tactile manner that isn't bound to cut and dry narrative readings. They are something like dreams, and are great because of the very reason that they exist, even if they do not serve a specific "utility" or "purpose" like more concrete films etc do. That is not to downplay the importance of less stylistic/aesthetic films, but I feel it is important to give credit to people who are allowed to make stuff like this.

I really thought it was great.
Jun 28, 2014 3:40 PM
Jul 2007
Negative-Travis said:

Oh, shit, I just saw this:
superzombie23 said:
I actually like this movie for the realism...

The realism? Are you shitting me?
What fucking realism?
We're dealing with dragons and people with fucking superpowers. How is this at all realistic?

I meant more along the lines of how the characters are drawn and the way things are animated. Of course, the things that actually happen are batshit crazy lol.
Feb 24, 2017 9:21 PM

Apr 2016
It was okay.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2018 1:08 PM

Nov 2009
I liked this (the ending) more than the anime tbh...
Oct 20, 2020 9:31 PM

Jun 2010
Having seen the TV series first I appreciate to-the-point this movie version is compared to the dawdling and over-full series although that means sacrificing depth in most of the characters (and even completely deleting one). Towards the end it also seems to run out of ideas other than killing off the cast and ends up excessively sad; repeated attempts to spare Yuzriha from violence fail, Sorata only delays Arashi's own death by seconds, and Kamui, who only ever cared about protecting Kotori and Fuma, is left with nothing at all. It's not as if he took on the burden of that tragedy for the sake of humanity; he never cared about that.

There's some great imagery and some of the changes to the story are for the better but it doesn't really get itself in order by the end.
May 29, 2021 4:32 PM
Dec 2017
i wish they made a reboot on tv when the manga is completed.

Oct 13, 2021 7:10 AM

Mar 2014
I was wondering if this had a TV version.. cos this is easily one of the worst things I've ever seen. When they played the sad music at the end I just laughed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » X/1999 Episode 1 Discussion

aznixiboy - Feb 15, 2014

8 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 17, 2023 10:21 PM

» tarot card set

BillionSword189 - May 30, 2008

8 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Jun 3, 2021 5:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.