Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 18, 2013 6:08 PM

Jun 2012
Well I just finished watching all of Nekomonogatari(Kuro) and I have a doubt that it's really bugging me. This may be a stupid question but, could someone tell me the real reason why Araragi couldn't love(or fall in love) with Hanekawa as stated in the last part(4) of the episode? Thank you.
Jan 19, 2013 8:02 PM

Apr 2012
In the end, Araragi states that he fell in love with his envision of Hanekawa more so than the qualities of the actual person. Learning more about Hanekawa shattered his image of her - in a sense.
Jan 23, 2013 7:13 AM

Jun 2012
nil- said:
In the end, Araragi states that he fell in love with his envision of Hanekawa more so than the qualities of the actual person. Learning more about Hanekawa shattered his image of her - in a sense.

Thank you, you lift me from a big frustration. I thought that he was only interested in her in a sexual way nothing more, but what you said makes more sense.
Feb 25, 2013 1:35 PM

Dec 2012
Snaita said:
nil- said:

Thank you, you lift me from a big frustration. I thought that he was only interested in her in a sexual way nothing more, but what you said makes more sense.

Its more like his scared of her, with the will to help her but he realized that he can't match up with her and will never give her happiness or salvation and Hanekawa seeked.
Mar 6, 2014 4:01 PM
Jul 2009
nil- said:

Oh, that's helpful. I was confused as hell when I was watching it, I thought maybe he was doing it out of some kind of idiotic sense of traditional morality that didn't translate...
Nov 7, 2015 6:41 AM

May 2014
lzs2503187 said:
Snaita said:

Its more like his scared of her, with the will to help her but he realized that he can't match up with her and will never give her happiness or salvation and Hanekawa seeked.

Shouldn it be he was scared FOR her?
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Nov 9, 2015 6:29 AM

May 2014
If it was me I would totally fall for her
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
May 2, 2017 10:47 AM

Apr 2016
It boils down to one word which is FEAR. There are only two person that Araragi feel this FEAR. One is Shinobu/Kissshot and the second one is Tsubasa. This FEAR is not the same as being afraid. It is more of a feeling of INFERIORITY. Remember what Araragi said? "I could not even die for her sake!"

The love that Araragi speaks of here is not the love we all expect. It is what they call love at first sight. It is the love that Tsukihi described to Araragi. You say it is love and then dig up reasons to justify that it is love. It is a LIE, a FAKE. It is not a question of how or why.

That is not what Araragi feels about Tsubasa. That is why he said no, THIS is not love it is more than that. Remember when he said that he could not describe it in WORDS.

He said that he will fall in love with someone else and not with Tsubasa. He will never say he love Tsubasa. Why is he so adamant about it? Because it is not the FAKE (Love) or the WORD (Love) he feels for Tsubasa it goes much deeper than that. It is the same feeling he has for Shinobu. That feeling is the real thing called LOVE.

In this context. Hitagi, though Araragi tells her he loves her and the reason why he loves her, it is the epitome of the FAKE love. Why do you think that he always says "I love everything"? That is a lie in itself especially when he added "despite her personality". Remember both Kaiki&Hitagi are characters that represent FAKE&LIES we cant even trust if what they are saying is true or not. Hitagi, being the character that she is, suites well with this kind of love.

"I'am dating Hitagi! I LOVE Tsubasa!"

Some say that this phrase is just a joke but it all make sense when you know what it meant.

In my opinion the girl the Araragi was taking about (in Tsubasa Tiger) the he LOVES more than Tsubasa is none other than Shinobu. It is not a coincidence that he does not say "I love you" to these two that he LOVES dearly. Just words like "I will die for her sake" or "We will die together" or "I want to see her" or "My savior" or "My life partner". Those are deep words.
-> It does not matter if everything else is BAD as long as the PLOT/STORY is GOOD!
-> TRAGEDIES are for MASOCHIST so count me OUT!
-> TRUTH sometimes HURTS!
-> | Reddit | FanFiction |

Apr 9, 2020 2:23 PM
Jun 2015
FrEaKaZoIdIaN said:
It boils down to one word which is FEAR. There are only two person that Araragi feel this FEAR. One is Shinobu/Kissshot and the second one is Tsubasa. This FEAR is not the same as being afraid. It is more of a feeling of INFERIORITY. Remember what Araragi said? "I could not even die for her sake!"

The love that Araragi speaks of here is not the love we all expect. It is what they call love at first sight. It is the love that Tsukihi described to Araragi. You say it is love and then dig up reasons to justify that it is love. It is a LIE, a FAKE. It is not a question of how or why.

That is not what Araragi feels about Tsubasa. That is why he said no, THIS is not love it is more than that. Remember when he said that he could not describe it in WORDS.

He said that he will fall in love with someone else and not with Tsubasa. He will never say he love Tsubasa. Why is he so adamant about it? Because it is not the FAKE (Love) or the WORD (Love) he feels for Tsubasa it goes much deeper than that. It is the same feeling he has for Shinobu. That feeling is the real thing called LOVE.

In this context. Hitagi, though Araragi tells her he loves her and the reason why he loves her, it is the epitome of the FAKE love. Why do you think that he always says "I love everything"? That is a lie in itself especially when he added "despite her personality". Remember both Kaiki&Hitagi are characters that represent FAKE&LIES we cant even trust if what they are saying is true or not. Hitagi, being the character that she is, suites well with this kind of love.

Some say that this phrase is just a joke but it all make sense when you know what it meant.

In my opinion the girl the Araragi was taking about (in Tsubasa Tiger) the he LOVES more than Tsubasa is none other than Shinobu. It is not a coincidence that he does not say "I love you" to these two that he LOVES dearly. Just words like "I will die for her sake" or "We will die together" or "I want to see her" or "My savior" or "My life partner". Those are deep words.

Wow, that was a really great explanation, and somehow I can feel every word. It cleared a lot of questions, thank you.
Jul 1, 2020 10:08 AM

May 2015
FrEaKaZoIdIaN said:

First of all sorry for reviving this thread.
Second:
Your explanation is amazing but how did you reach it?
Im not a native english speaker but I feel confident about my english and even then I feel quite lost when reading the subtitles and my japanese only gives me tiny hints.
So if I may ask:
Did you read the novels? Do you understand the japanese? Maybe my subs are not good?

Why does he say in episode 4, when he meets with Sawari Neko, that he hates Hanekawa?
Did they suddenly start speaking opposites of what they think in that moment?
ep4 screenshot
DarkRob_plJul 1, 2020 10:44 AM
Jul 30, 2020 11:26 PM

Feb 2014
I still think Araragi is over thinking. In short: he loves Hanekawa.

What makes me feel bad is for Hanekawa, because she loves him. Romantically. Meanwhile, Araragi keeps over thinking and stating that "he does not love her" yet he does but tries to find excuses to dodge the obvious.

And so, he starts to date Hitagi, which hurts Hanekawa´s feelings.

Obviously, since Monogatari series is different from the usual melodrama+romance animes out there, it does not shows it clearly, but it will become obvious after you watching NEKOMONGATARI and BAKEMONOGATARI. Preferably, watch both in chronological order to make sense (i.e. NEKO then after BAKE).

-----

Answering the comment right above: For that scene where they were saying "I hate you" to each other, they didnt mean it.
TechOtakuAug 1, 2020 9:22 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

126 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

156 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 29, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

270 by 0451 »»
Aug 7, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

124 by 0451 »»
Aug 7, 4:14 AM

» explain pls

Tauronek - Sep 6, 2017

5 by Rob7 »»
Nov 8, 2022 5:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.