Forum Settings
Forums

What are some books that you think every kid should have to read in school?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 7, 2013 5:48 PM

Dec 2012
The Secret Life of Bees... though a lot of people would ring my neck for saying this, haha.
Jan 7, 2013 5:51 PM

Apr 2012
Red_Keys said:
MitsukiHimeka said:
The Harry Potter Series.
And, might I ask, what exactly does the HP series add to the academic experience?

It's very good for business class where you learn the importance of franchise. Only the first two books have to be good in order for the rest of the crap ones to sell like hot cakes.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 7, 2013 5:52 PM

Apr 2012
1984, because it's a good book and it gives you plenty to discuss, and honestly a large part of LA is discussing literature so might as well give 'em something that's good for that.
Jan 7, 2013 6:26 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
The Dark Tower series.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jan 7, 2013 6:39 PM
Nov 2007
It doesn't matter because less than half the kids will actually read it anyway
Jan 7, 2013 6:42 PM

Aug 2012
moose1 said:

And there goes the thread...
Jan 7, 2013 6:46 PM

Jan 2011
moose1 said:

Then those kids can go ahead and grow up to be losers. I don't see how their failure to properly educate themselves should be considered relevant.
Half of the kids are stupid. Yes we already know that. They're the McDonalds employees of the future. But there are still kids with the potential to actually matter in life, and those kids should get the mental stimulation they need to develop their minds.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Jan 8, 2013 1:24 AM

Aug 2012
Catcher in the Rye is a must read.

I know the topic is about books but I think more short stories need to be read, such as The Hunger Artist by Franz Kafka or A Clean Well Lighted Place by Hemingway
Jan 8, 2013 1:28 AM

Sep 2011
I thought we were talking about things people should read in school that wasn't already being read in schools.
^_^
Jan 8, 2013 1:30 AM

Apr 2012
moose1 said:

/thread
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 8, 2013 2:37 AM

Dec 2012
Captain Underpants hahaha
Jan 8, 2013 2:47 AM

Mar 2011
Complx said:
Captain Underpants hahaha

I read that when I was young, I remember those flick pages you had to recreate an action scene. Probably pretty good exercise for some kids.
Jan 8, 2013 3:18 AM

Sep 2012
To kill a mocking bird
Jan 8, 2013 5:12 AM

Jun 2012
'The Little Prince' by Antoine de saint exupery is a must read. yeah, and its my childhood book! lessons that can be found there are about life,love and friendship.
= w =
Jan 8, 2013 6:04 AM

Dec 2009
I reckon 'The Enemy' series by Charlie Higson is a great franchise to read for kids.The themes can be dark but meh... kids grow fast nowadays anyway.
It has the 'overused' setting of a zombie apocalypse but with a twist where only kids 14yrs and under are immune to the virus and are the only surving people of humanity. They can only be conventionally killed by the infected and not by the virus itself. This book is not just about the usual killfest of zombie's but depicts psychological matters as well in surviving a world where no adults could help you.
IndoExamuraiJan 8, 2013 6:08 AM
Jan 8, 2013 6:13 AM
Mar 2011
The bamboo annels
San Guo
Genji
Johipine
to kill a mocking bird
the marsh cronicles
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 8, 2013 6:27 AM

Apr 2012
Stephen King's It. Not only will it scare the crap out of them. It will also teach them how friendship
can fight demonic clowns.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Which Dere Type Would You Most Want To Date ?

Crystepsi - 57 minutes ago

2 by TheBlockernator »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you go to anime conventions?

spaceslut - Mar 11, 2022

36 by Fleeting_Dream »»
24 minutes ago

» How to not be worried about something

vasipi4946 - Jun 20

27 by traed »»
50 minutes ago

» Would it be possible die from the placebo effect?

vasipi4946 - Jun 20

12 by Crystepsi »»
55 minutes ago

» What Compliment Do You Hear Most Often?

ParisPlayboy01 - Jun 17

41 by Crystepsi »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.