Forum Settings
Forums

Best Animation in Anime (TV Series, Movies, OVAs, etc)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Feb 1, 2016 12:11 AM

Apr 2013
If we only look at animation and not art then probably Nichijou.
Feb 1, 2016 4:23 AM
Nov 2009
Rocko52 said:
Even really cheap (although tbh most Western Animation these days isn't cheap - I'm more referring to a "cheap" look than the production actually not costing much) Western Cartoons look very fluid because that's just what's become the norm here. Seems to me that it's the same case with Japan - as I said earlier at this point I think it's just kind of become the norm to have animation be so low on key frames over there. It's a shame - while I love anime & there are tons of visual marvels in the realm of anime - the medium as a whole does seem to just miss the market on actual animation.

The relative lack of "fluidity" in anime is ultimately due to money constraints. Western TV animation has higher average drawing counts per episode than the average TV anime, and even anime movies have got "downtime" in their animation unlike western features with nearly non-stop movement. What's great about Japanese animation is the ability of the animators to create appealing movement under the aforementioned constraints. Many great Japanese animators have forged their own idiosyncratic styles that wouldn't be found in western animation.

I doubt we'd see stuff like Shinya Ohira's expressionistic animation, Yoshinori Kanada's unique brand of effects and snappy movement, or Yutaka Nakamura's bombastic action animation had the anime industry not faced the constraints of having much more limited resources and followed the playbook already set by their western counterparts.
Feb 1, 2016 4:53 AM

May 2013
I forgot how amazing Space Dandy was ha. Mind telling me what those other two shows are? They look awesome lol.

Yeah, while not really fluid, I am willing to concede that lots of anime have managed to make really interesting moving shows within those constraints, that is a good point I didn't really cover.
Feb 1, 2016 4:55 AM

Jul 2015
i love Sao animation during fights <3
Feb 1, 2016 5:09 AM
Nov 2009
Rocko52 said:
I forgot how amazing Space Dandy was ha. Mind telling me what those other two shows are? They look awesome lol.

The source is actually in the tags, but no harm in clarifying it I suppose. The example by Kanada is the opening sequence to Hanjuku Hero 4 which is a videogame. Nakamura's work is from the Star Driver movie; it's just a recap of the TV series but the example posted is from the 8-ish minutes of movie-original content at the start.
Feb 1, 2016 5:14 AM

May 2013
Ah, thanks for that. I'll be sure to check those out.

@tragedydesu
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd respectfully disagree. Lots of SAO fights suffer from being light-novel adaptations, taking a fight from text into animation has got to be hard. Not to mention the source material, and end product, in my opinion, aren't that great anyway. But yeah, while you occasionally get pretty looking visuals, most of the time there doesn't seem to be a high budget on the fights, and even the "dazzling" look scenes don't really make much sense in terms of choreography. But I guess something about it's gotta be redeeming about SAO for it to be so popular...right?
(lol But seriously, if you like SAO good for you, the way I see it no one should be shamed for something they like, and honestly if you can enjoy something & I can't, aren't you the better person in a way? Like, while it can be fun to dislike stuff sometimes, I'd imagine it feels better to like it. So good for you lol. SAO is just...not my cup of tea heh)
Feb 1, 2016 5:36 AM

Jul 2015
Rocko52 said:
Ah, thanks for that. I'll be sure to check those out.

@tragedydesu
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd respectfully disagree. Lots of SAO fights suffer from being light-novel adaptations, taking a fight from text into animation has got to be hard. Not to mention the source material, and end product, in my opinion, aren't that great anyway. But yeah, while you occasionally get pretty looking visuals, most of the time there doesn't seem to be a high budget on the fights, and even the "dazzling" look scenes don't really make much sense in terms of choreography. But I guess something about it's gotta be redeeming about SAO for it to be so popular...right?
(lol But seriously, if you like SAO good for you, the way I see it no one should be shamed for something they like, and honestly if you can enjoy something & I can't, aren't you the better person in a way? Like, while it can be fun to dislike stuff sometimes, I'd imagine it feels better to like it. So good for you lol. SAO is just...not my cup of tea heh)

thx for respecting my opinion (really being a fan of the most hated anime is hard haha) but i still think that Sao animation during fights especially sword fights during first 14 ep was good compared to the most sword fights i've seen not the best but good (btw for me Sao true ending was ep 14 i dont care a lot about the rest )
Feb 1, 2016 6:02 AM

Apr 2014
Nothing beats Redline when it comes to animation, especially hand drawn animation.
Feb 1, 2016 3:30 PM

May 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
Nothing beats Redline when it comes to animation, especially hand drawn animation.
Hand drawn? ok I could give you that, though Ghibli could certainly argue they deserve top spot.

Animation in general? Well..sorry Japan.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Feb 1, 2016 3:46 PM

Dec 2013
Milk_is_Special said:

For Japan maybe, but I wouldn't put it above anything Petrov has done.
Feb 1, 2016 4:03 PM

May 2013
TheFilthyCasual said:
Milk_is_Special said:
Hand drawn? ok I could give you that, though Ghibli could certainly argue they deserve top spot.

Animation in general? Well..sorry Japan.

Ah Rango - that was a brilliant movie. I saw it in theaters when it first came out & yes it's visuals are to die for. That said I don't think you can really compare hand-drawn animation (or at least traditional styled animation - nowadays this involves lots of digital work too) with computer animation same with stop-motion and other styles. They all have various strengths and what works great in one won't necessarily translate well to another style.

Personally I think that Stop Motion is probably the most neglected form of animation atm - which makes sense considering how time intensive it is. Still with Wes Anderson's new film and the recent masterpiece "Anomalisa" and of course Laika's upcoming "Kubo and the Two Strings" there is hope for the medium.
Apr 18, 2016 7:19 PM
Apr 2016
tengen toppa gurren lagann by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Apr 18, 2016 11:01 PM

Sep 2015
I like the animation of Kaguya Hime no Monogatari. Anything by Shinkai Makoto is good too
Apr 24, 2016 1:45 AM

Dec 2014
Bounen no Xam'd, FLCL, Zankyou no Terror, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, Sword of the Stranger
For CGI the upcoming Kingsglaive, the trailer looks so good someone thought it was live action and made a thread asking if it should be on MAL.
AccursedBearApr 24, 2016 2:02 AM
Apr 24, 2016 2:07 AM

Sep 2011
Long overdue thread that needed to be locked for Simple Listing~

Thread Locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - 2 hours ago

12 by Rhae »»
1 minute ago

» What are the most iconic anime scenes

Gashadokur0 - 4 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - 3 hours ago

14 by alexw1020 »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime facts you didn't know before

LenRea - May 24

23 by ColourWheel »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - 1 hour ago

10 by Rhae »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.