Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2008 8:10 PM

Apr 2008
I find it weird that this series didn't reach 8. Hmm.

Oct 7, 2008 8:13 PM

Apr 2008
Maybe because the premise is stupid?
Oct 7, 2008 8:14 PM

Nov 2007
I gave it an eight. Even though I enjoyed it as a whole, the generic male lead really let it down. Can't really be much better than an eight. I might even drop it to a seven in the future, but it was one of the better series of last season.
Oct 7, 2008 8:15 PM
Sep 2007
I wanted to give this series an 8 at first, but later parts were full of cliches and, as Asako said, male lead wasn't anything special, so yeah, I lowered my score a bit.
Oct 10, 2008 3:54 PM

Apr 2008
Hmm I rated it 9 mainly because of Haruka. You're right the male lead isn't that outstanding.

Oct 11, 2008 4:43 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lol a 9 is just one step away from Masterpiece. Gotta be kidding me.

But Haruka was very cute, the music was good and Yuuto was better than your average male lead. He at least had some brains. But all that is still not worthy of a 9. The fact that it was all cliché didn't help either.

But it was well done so it got a very solid 7 from me, I enjoyed it.

Rationalize your scores. 5 means average!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 11, 2008 5:13 AM

Nov 2007
It was above average though. It was one of the best shows of last season. Though as I said previously, I should probably drop it to a seven, instead of the eight I gave it. It's really nothing stellar, but it was executed very well, even with the generic lead and all the clichés. So it's better than average. Haruka was especially cute, most Mamiko chars get extra points in my books. Still, seven is probably more realistic for this one.
Oct 11, 2008 11:24 AM

Mar 2008
im very generous when it comes to scoring so i gave this -9..
Oct 11, 2008 11:27 AM

Nov 2007
I originally was going to give it an 8 due to Yuuto not being a faggot, Haruka being extremely moe, great references, Mika being great jail-bait, and Ueda Kana-gasms from Nanami. In other words, the characters alone saved the series.

But then the last three episodes rolled around and I couldn't help but orz at all the amazing cliches they managed to stuff in at the end. Ended with a 7.
Oct 12, 2008 8:11 AM

Apr 2008
@cyruz
I have a weird scale which only rates from 5-10. I don't rely on MAL's rating description. I can't have myself rate a 5 over an anime. 7 is the "usual" lowest score I give.

HOW I RATE ANIME
10 - Masterpiece : A very rare rating from me. All aspects are epic. Plot Progression, Character Development, Introductions, Ending, and how interesting it is. The ending is the trigger for a rating of 10. If I'm deeply moved by the ending and all aspects are okay, I'll unhesitantly give 10. For the comedy series, if almost all of the episodes made me laugh, I can give it a 10 (Seto no Hanayome and FMP Fumoffu are in)

9 - Superior : I give this to an anime which only lacks one aspect. For example, all went well and the ending is good but still lacks to be called epic. I also give a 9 even if all of the aspects are not epic but ended beautifully that deeply moved me(eg. Chrno Crusade)

8 - Average : I give this rating if some of the aspect lacks the magnitude. This are the series that started well, progressed well, then ended well(eg. Air, Shakugan no Shana Second, Nagasarete Airantou, Rozen Maiden). This are the anime that I describe as average. I always give 8 if it progressed well then ended badly (eg. NHK)

7 - So-so : This are the series that I often give no reaction or response. This didn't have an excellent progression or character development(eg. Shakugan no Shana S1, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha S1, Chobits) . For good progressions, the ending really ended for the worse.

6 - Bad : I rarely give this. I often give this to special/OVA (eg. School Days Magical Kokoro-chan). Unlike 7, the story's progression is really bad. The concept is bad. Character development is also bad. (eg. Ragnarok Animation)

5 - Worse : For now, I haven't given a 5 yet. This are the series that I have finished till the end and till the end I'm saying "I should've dropped this anime earlier." This are the series that has escaped from being dropped because I gave the anime a chance to redeem itself.

4 and below - Unimaginably Bad : This are the series that I didn't finish and dropped early on.(eg. Eureka 7) I may give something like this to Completed Series if I really got pissed off.

SylpheedOct 12, 2008 8:16 AM

Oct 12, 2008 8:19 AM

Nov 2007
Limiting yourself like that seems a bit silly to me. But everybody does it differently.
Oct 12, 2008 8:21 AM

Apr 2008
Hmm..being exposed to school. Below 50% already means failing grade. My highschool days uses 75% proficiency. I think I just got used to it. I think I should base my rating to MAL standards. Hmmm...

Oct 12, 2008 8:29 AM

Nov 2007
Well, 5 is 'average' not 'fail'. I personally have mostly 5+ on my list because I drop most stuff I'd ever rate below 5, but I still use scores from 1-4 for things I do watch without dropping, because there are some. The majority of series on my list are 7 (almost 30%) but the next highest is 6, with just over 20%) and I still have a number of 5s. But still, more 9s and 8s than 5s... maybe I should see about adjusting my scores a bit more. But that can wait til I do another stat run at 450 completed.
Oct 12, 2008 8:50 AM

Apr 2008
Updated my list with MAL scale. Sorry everyone you need to be rated down TT

Nogizaka still goes 8 for me. I enjoyed the series so much.

Oct 12, 2008 9:58 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Well you're free to rate anime however you want. But if you limit yourself to less than 50% the scores you can actually give, you can't go and compare your ratings with others on MAL. Unless you know they rate the same way.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 12, 2008 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
havent finished the series but i have a somewhat idea how its going to go. i am quite critical of ratings and i do not give them out easily.

I have only given one 10/10 - honey and clover s1/s2, which i considered a true masterpiece having the perfect balance of romance, comedy and drama in my favourite slice of life genre.

To get a 9 for me means that the series was was a notch off being a masterpiece. this means that it lacked a bit in some episodes or lacked in a department. for example, death note episodes
ef tale of memories is another example. great art, best music archive to an anime ive ever heard, minimal/no fanservice but the story isn't exactly unique or original.

8 means it was a excellent series. 7 means it was very good. 6 means its good. 5 means its average. 4 and below means it was trash basically.

I add +1 if it excelled in a department (eg. 5 Centimetres persecond gets a +1 in animation)

using this criteria i gave nogizaka a 6.
cyruzOct 12, 2008 10:21 AM
Oct 12, 2008 10:22 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Please be careful with spoilers. You're lucky I've already seen Death Note. Added a spoiler tag.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 12, 2008 5:05 PM

Apr 2008
I can't bring myself to rate Nogizaka below 8 ^^ Maybe in the future or some series with a heroine as great as Nogizaka but a better male lead or story progression.

This series has a plain story and predictable to begin with. The male lead is too typical. The ending is also typical. But, because of how light the events are, this made me enjoy the series so much. It's like a series of 12 light episodes. Nothing plot-heavy.

I guess this also goes with Seto no Hanayome and FMP Fumoffu. I rated those 2 with 10 for being the funniest anime I've ever seen. I'll rate them down if something better comes up.

The previous 10 for me will still be 10 in any scale.

Oct 12, 2008 5:14 PM

Nov 2007
Sylpheed said:
This series has a plain story and predictable to begin with. The male lead is too typical. The ending is also typical. But, because of how light the events are, this made me enjoy the series so much. It's like a series of 12 light episodes. Nothing plot-heavy.

That's why it didn't get a 4 or 5 from me, which I'd usually give to a show like this with a generic lead and totally cliché plot. It was a very enjoyable show, especially compared to the other stuff airing at the time; last season was a little on the dry side, not much quality.
Jan 6, 2009 10:09 AM
Feb 2008
The show is too stupid. In fact it's so stupid and inane that it's good! Like most stuff from the 70s!
Jan 12, 2009 1:56 PM

May 2007
thatguy said:
The show is too stupid. In fact it's so stupid and inane that it's good! Like most stuff from the 70s!

Did you even watch anime from the 70s? >_>
Jan 13, 2009 7:43 AM

Apr 2008
Lol that was an exaggeration.

OT: Oh well, after a week, I went back with my old rating system.

Jan 13, 2009 9:45 AM
Dec 2007
I gave it a four overall. Originally rated it a five, finding it painfully mediocre. Cast was an assortment of stock characters, and I found it incredibly boring throughout. Stock little sister, maids, and rival love interest. Was originally going to drop it earlier on, but stuck it out. Haruka, clearly fan-pandering to all the ronery otaku, was basically what she was; fan pandering. She had no depth as such, beyond her worrying about animanga, and Yuuto. Even then, she didn't even seem like that much of a fan of anime and as such. Before watching, I assumed that would be the main point, her trying to hide her passions, alongside the relationship with Yuuto. Too bad that idea never reached it's potential, and was shifted halfway through for the tedious relationship. Even the relationship played out atrociously. It tried to be a romantic comedy, but it came off as a weak, watered down barely-there comedy, pinching pieces from other rom-coms. Not too happy with that.

The only redeeming features were the opening and closing songs. And even then, they weren't that much to rave about.
Jan 15, 2009 11:28 PM
Feb 2008
Mariem said:
thatguy said:

Did you even watch anime from the 70s? >_>

Nah just 80s stuff. But I was talking about the style and music of the 70s not anime. Some of that stuff is awful in a good way. Bell bottom pants anyone?
Mar 10, 2009 6:46 PM

Jul 2008
A very weak 7 from me. Would have been higher if the last episodes didn't suck so bad compaired to the first ones. Also the censuring at the end really ticked me off, like WHY the fuck did I even watch this. Though I really enjoyed the humor littlesister and the maids brought.
Mar 16, 2009 12:28 PM

Oct 2007
Was good at first but all the cliches and lack of any real romance really let this down. Before looking at this I had the score at 8/10 but now that I look back, this was just about as good as Myself;Yourself. So down to a 7/10 _^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2009 2:32 PM

Dec 2007
I have no idea if I'm jaded, but this show isn't doing anything for me. I've seen this type of show too many times and there really isn't anything that seperates it from the rest of the pack. You got the generic male lead for starters and his harem of women.

I'm about to watch the 6th episode which puts me half way through the series and nothing has happened. I can enjoy a slow moving plot, but this show just isn't going anywhere.

I can't see myself giving this show higher than a 5 or a 6. (I basically follow MAL's scale for grading) - my 5 is a totally average show with no reason to really ever watch it again. If something does happen in this show that makes me think I would want to rewatch it, it'll prob get the nudge to a 6.

I just don't know what is so different about this show that people are drawn to. I'm not being a troll or starting a fight, I'm just confused. Isn't this basically the same show as Final Approach, Kanon, Rosario + Vampire, To Heart, etc?
Jul 10, 2009 6:03 PM

Apr 2008
I haven't watch any of that yet. Well, after some time I found that this is only enjoyable but it's not enough to reach a score of 8.

Jul 20, 2009 7:19 AM
Jul 2018
cyruz said:

But Haruka was very cute, the music was good and Yuuto was better than your average male lead. He at least had some brains. But all that is still not worthy of a 9. The fact that it was all cliché didn't help either.

When it comes to anime there is no such thing as a masterpiece. Its not art. Think about it? What anime would you clasify as a masterpiece? bleach? naruto? death note? elfen lied? When it comes to anime the only thing that matters is enjoyment, doesnt matter if it entertain. Just because a show is outside the box doesn't mean its good. Please name a masterpiece. Im really curious.

I give it a 9 because i enjoyed it. I looked forward to every episode and at the end of each i was like "is it already over?"
Jul 21, 2009 5:56 AM

Apr 2008
negative1111 said:
cyruz said:

When it comes to anime there is no such thing as a masterpiece. Its not art. Think about it? What anime would you clasify as a masterpiece? bleach? naruto? death note? elfen lied? When it comes to anime the only thing that matters is enjoyment, doesnt matter if it entertain. Just because a show is outside the box doesn't mean its good. Please name a masterpiece. Im really curious.

I give it a 9 because i enjoyed it. I looked forward to every episode and at the end of each i was like "is it already over?"

Masterpiece is directly proportional to preference (may it be by individual or by the majority) and preference differs so nobody can give a solid answer without bias.

Jul 21, 2009 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
Sylpheed said:
negative1111 said:
cyruz said:

Masterpiece is directly proportional to preference (may it be by individual or by the majority) and preference differs so nobody can give a solid answer without bias.

In other words, everyone has different taste. But it cant be a masterpiece to one person, now can it? Since the taste is so different when it comes to anime it cant bring out a common feeling among the viewers (some like it, some hate it), while a masterpiece can be recognised by anyone. And we are still talking cartoons not art so a more appropriate titel would be "really-fucking-good."
Jul 21, 2009 4:31 PM

Jun 2008
This anime is definitely average but I did it enjoy a bit. Probably because Mamiko Noto is in it. And Haruka's little sister was cute so it got a 6 instead of a 5 from me (:
Aug 1, 2009 4:37 PM

Mar 2008
To many cliché moments. It really started great. But the lack of romance. And even a sort of open ending. I really hated it.

It got a 7. Because Haruka was just awesome...
Aug 1, 2009 4:55 PM

Apr 2007
negative1111 said:
cyruz said:

why don't you try watching something that's not shit
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2009 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
Ice_T said:
negative1111 said:
cyruz said:

why don't you try watching something that's not shit

Check my animeliist and tell me what to watch then. Im open for suggestions.
Oct 22, 2009 10:35 AM

May 2008
I'm halfway through 1st episode, and I already want to vomit badly......
and it's not because I'm sick or something :/
Oct 23, 2009 7:07 AM

Apr 2008
bladez said:
I'm halfway through 1st episode, and I already want to vomit badly......
and it's not because I'm sick or something :/

Then this title is not for you I guess. Dropping it is the best thing you can do ^^

Jan 30, 2022 12:22 AM

Oct 2021
I really love this show, but it's a very low possibility shows like this will rank high on MAL
Eiyuu Senki Theme Until MAL Adds The Manga

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SwordWielder - Sep 25, 2008

118 by toralbabs »»
Feb 4, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 19, 2008

64 by toralbabs »»
Jan 27, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

63 by toralbabs »»
Jan 25, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 5, 2008

84 by toralbabs »»
Jan 20, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Aug 28, 2008

55 by toralbabs »»
Jan 17, 9:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.