Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 17, 2012 6:19 PM

Oct 2009
Synopsis

A genius programmer named Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya enters a virtual-reality, massively multiplayer online (MMO) world called Sword Art Online. There is no escape from this world unless the player clears the game, but "game over" means the death of the player.

(Source: ANN)

"A genius programmer" good work ANN.
YanofliesApr 2, 2012 7:22 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2012 11:12 PM

Jun 2011
Haha~

Someone should fix it. =P

This can't possibly be a typo; I wonder what they meant to say.
Mar 17, 2012 11:13 PM

Jan 2008
Wait... when could you clear... MMO's?
Mar 17, 2012 11:18 PM

May 2011
Paul said:
Exactly what I was thinking... What the hell? Hows this possible...
Mar 17, 2012 11:34 PM

Oct 2009
They probably meant to refer to the guy who made SAO, forgot his name atm.

Cross Shield User.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2012 4:51 AM
Oct 2010
ZeroZx said:
Paul said:
Exactly what I was thinking... What the hell? Hows this possible...

haha... a right reaction to real mmos...

but here they are given a singular clear goal and that is by clearing all 100 floors of the tower... basically beating the boss of a floor to open another 'till the end... well... you get the idea...
Mar 21, 2012 5:41 AM

Mar 2012
Yanoflies said:
They probably meant to refer to the guy who made SAO, forgot his name atm.

Cross Shield User.

Its Heathcliff
Its 420 out there somewhere.

Mar 26, 2012 2:34 PM

Sep 2008
Yanoflies said:
Synopsis

A genius programmer named Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya enters a virtual-reality, massively multiplayer online (MMO) world called Sword Art Online. There is no escape from this world unless the player clears the game, but "game over" means the death of the player.

(Source: ANN)

"A genius programmer" good work ANN.

I LOL'ed. :D
enya's life spent on MAL: September 21, 2008 to August 23, 2012
Mar 26, 2012 3:03 PM

Dec 2007
Actually, isn't it implied in novels that Kirito posseses at least above-average knowledge about computers, programming and related stuff?
Mar 26, 2012 5:59 PM
Nov 2011
Well...technically they have to "clear" the game. Beat all 100 floors to get out alive.

They shouldn't have explicitly stated that he's a genius programmer, kinda sounds stupid. But he's supposed to be somewhat skilled in programming.
Mar 31, 2012 8:12 AM
May 2009
Wait a Sec
"A genius programmer" Plays a game where "There is no escape from this world unless the player clears the game, but "game over" means the death of the player."

He must not be much of a genius if he does that XD LOL
Mar 31, 2012 11:55 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
It seems he does become an important VR game testers after the end of the first arc...

Also, how many genius programmers are blade masters at the same time? :D
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 31, 2012 2:45 PM

Jul 2010
I don't know about you guys but this synopsis really annoys me lol. I just think that it might be misleading to the people who did not read the light novels. My friend told me maybe they changed Kirito's background in the anime (which is possible) but why the heck would they do that? -.- I mean there's already a genius programmer which is the antagonist Kayaba Akihiko (who is responsible for the SAO incident). To me they don't need two genius programmer. >.>

Yagate Kimi ni Naru
Apr 1, 2012 7:38 AM

Sep 2008
I've changed the synopsis. See whether this will get an approval from the mods.
Apr 1, 2012 7:56 AM
Jun 2008
Well,Kirito is a talented programmer same like his mother and also a guy who never give up easily just like her little sister.
Kirito did show his amazing computer skill when he trying to save that loli girl(forgot her name).So I don't really mind they refer him as genius programmer(or maybe hacker). Maybe i am wrong about this because it has been long time since I read this.
Apr 2, 2012 7:21 PM

Oct 2009
He was never explicitly referred to as a programmer though, let alone a genius one. Sure he showed some knowledge of computers, as demonstrated by the Yui scene, but that's a given since he's meant to be a hardcore 'gamer'.

And game testing =/= game programmer :P.

Btw we're going a bit spoilerish so I'll add that to title.
Apr 3, 2012 7:29 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yanoflies said:

And game testing =/= game programmer :P.

This. They are two separate things that do not include or exclude each other.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 6, 2012 11:30 AM
Jun 2008
Hardcore gamer can hack into game console...

strange, I am a hardcore gamer myself and I don't think I can hack into anything...The best I can do is searching for the web for cheat code to make the game easier to play but cracking the game for cheat code require some skill(programing).
Apr 8, 2012 7:39 AM
Nov 2011
Yes but some hard core gamers get used to inserting certain codes (mostly finding them by themselves), looking for bugs, use exploit etc.
As they get more into the game, most hard core gamers can look at the game inside out.That is when people say it is "hacking" into the game but in reality it isn't.

Also Kirito didn't hack the protocol... he manuplated GM-Only computer that had access to the system itself. He found the controls very fast, fast enough to convert Yui into the necklace.
If you are a hardcore gamer you would memorize most game commands. And for Kirito he had amazing speed (speed down his view of time like martial art master) so it was easy to access it in that limited time.
Apr 14, 2012 9:01 PM
Jun 2008
At the age of six, he can make his own home made computer/machine...
At the age of ten, he can search into the Basic Resident Registers Network for his own identity..
Alexander-lee1 said:
he manuplated GM-Only computer that had access to the system itself.
only a GM can manipulate/access into the system. And how can Kirito access into the system?
Apr 18, 2012 7:43 AM

Mar 2009
MorningGlory said:
only a GM can manipulate/access into the system. And how can Kirito access into the system?

From memory he was given access by the SAO creator right at the end, he didn't hack it himself, assuming Alexander-lee1 and I are talking about the same book (book 4)... Then again I don't remember Yui being converted into a necklace, so you could be talking about one I haven't read yet (5 on)
Apr 19, 2012 10:10 PM

Sep 2009
Full of spoilers
MXMachApr 22, 2012 5:02 PM

Made by me xD

Apr 20, 2012 1:30 AM

May 2010
SAO itself is an exception to the "clear the mmo" thing, you can clear SAO because SAO isnt really much of an mmo (ones with constant updates with new features etc added) the whole point of SAO was to clear the 100 floors and beat the final boss (though it ended early lol)
Apr 20, 2012 4:32 AM
Jun 2008
MXMach said:
....and assuming his skill levl of programming and manipulling things ingame, he can easily do it fast,....

....took me some time just to prove this part .lol
Anyway, saving Yui isn't part of the game that the gamer design for the player .Its is Kirito own skill that could make this mission successful.
This is like asking will Anime watcher will learn Japanese word by just listening to it.Surely the answer is NO....
May 10, 2012 4:25 AM

Nov 2011
MorningGlory said:
At the age of six, he can make his own home made computer/machine...
At the age of ten, he can search into the Basic Resident Registers Network for his own identity..
Alexander-lee1 said:
he manuplated GM-Only computer that had access to the system itself.

The point is, Kirito is not a programmer, yet. Also, making a computer is not what programmer do. Computer engineer do it.
May 14, 2012 5:24 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
hnryirawan said:

The point is, Kirito is not a programmer, yet. Also, making a computer is not what programmer do. Computer engineer do it.

^This.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
May 14, 2012 8:39 PM

Jul 2011
wakka9ca said:
hnryirawan said:

^This.

I thought he was just your average highschool boy who plays vrmmorpgs?
Jul 7, 2012 7:44 PM

Oct 2009
zerotenshigg said:
wakka9ca said:
hnryirawan said:

^This.

I thought he was just your average highschool boy who plays vrmmorpgs?

The point is: Kirito is not a programmer.

^

More topics from this board

» Best anime ? ( 1 2 )

inthelovedotorg - Jun 11

86 by Flacion »»
3 hours ago

» Can someone explain?

infinite_Shadows - Jun 3

19 by nasralkhatib »»
Jun 8, 12:23 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1446 by kosarzek »»
Jun 6, 7:11 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

74 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 4, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2012

1269 by Hesmiyu »»
Jun 4, 7:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.