Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 7, 2011 7:06 AM
Apr 2010
I wanna start watchiingthe anime, but its too long. This is a highly rated movie, but can i watch it wihtout watching the anime?
Aug 7, 2011 8:41 AM

Apr 2011
Of course you can. You may be confused by some parts (like character jokes] but overall there is not much you need to know before watching this movie.
"Reality is a story the minds tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic fringes"
Aug 23, 2011 3:38 AM

Feb 2010
You'd be better off just watching the first few episodes of the anime series. The first few episodes of One Piece are truly amazing. Being around 500 episodes, the series is certainly way too long and I wouldn't recommend it since quite a bit of that is filler... and it just doesn't quite have the same charm as the earlier episodes.

This movie isn't really worth watching... It has a weak plot that definitely wasn't written by the creator of One Piece seeing as the villain in the film is just some random filler enemy that doesn't exist in the main story. The movie is mostly just fanservice.

If you insist on watching a One Piece movie, watch this one: http://myanimelist.net/anime/3848/One_Piece:_Episode_of_Chopper_Plus_-_Fuyu_ni_Saku_Kiseki_no_Sakura
It's probably the best one among them since it's just a brief version of a story arc from the main series rather than generic filler. Pretty much win-win for you.
Aug 23, 2011 3:47 AM

Aug 2011
this is the first movie that's actually produced by the mangaka himself and also has some links to ongoing manga
it's better if you watch the anime first or at least you must know who gold roger is

iSignature

"I specialize in reading manga but don't get how to draw manga at all" -Asaba Yuuki-
Aug 23, 2011 3:51 AM

Aug 2011
Danno said:
It has a weak plot that definitely wasn't written by the creator of One Piece seeing as the villain in the film is just some random filler enemy that doesn't exist in the main story. The movie is mostly just fanservice.

I didn't watch the movie, but I think Shiki is the enemy, right? Shiki is not filler, read One Piece chapter 0. Yes, it exists. It's about the past.
Aug 23, 2011 4:37 AM

Jul 2011
Yes, you can watch the movie, but if you also decide to watch the anime later you have to know that this movie contains many spoilers about the anime. Indeed, it's the newest movie.
ainkyAug 23, 2011 4:51 AM
Aug 25, 2011 2:16 PM

May 2009
Honestly, I just finished watching the movie, and it was PHENOMINAL!!! Watch it.
Aug 25, 2011 3:57 PM

Jun 2009
Danno said:
You'd be better off just watching the first few episodes of the anime series. The first few episodes of One Piece are truly amazing. Being around 500 episodes, the series is certainly way too long and I wouldn't recommend it since quite a bit of that is filler... and it just doesn't quite have the same charm as the earlier episodes.

This movie isn't really worth watching... It has a weak plot that definitely wasn't written by the creator of One Piece seeing as the villain in the film is just some random filler enemy that doesn't exist in the main story. The movie is mostly just fanservice.

If you insist on watching a One Piece movie, watch this one: http://myanimelist.net/anime/3848/One_Piece:_Episode_of_Chopper_Plus_-_Fuyu_ni_Saku_Kiseki_no_Sakura
It's probably the best one among them since it's just a brief version of a story arc from the main series rather than generic filler. Pretty much win-win for you.

I completely disagree with this on so many levels. If anything the series was weak for it's first 20 or so episodes, got really good at around the arlong arc and has, for the most part, gotten better throughout it's run and, really, there isn't a whole lot of filler.

Anyway, about this movie. Personally, it didn't do a whole lot for me. It seems to me that Oda recycled alot of plot ideas and themes (which were done much better in the series btw). A fan of the series SHOULD watch it though as it could hold some relevance in the future. But, I personally wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't seen the series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 30, 2011 6:03 PM

Jan 2011
You definitely can. It's an amazing movie no matter what.

I watched this movie with several of my friends, all of them have never watched One Piece before and they still loved the movie.

If you know the general One Piece story, I'm sure everything will make sense. It's not too complicated or anything XD
Aug 30, 2011 6:10 PM
Jul 2018
insan3soldiern said:

I completely disagree with this on so many levels. If anything the series was weak for it's first 20 or so episodes, got really good at around the arlong arc and has, for the most part, gotten better throughout it's run and, really, there isn't a whole lot of filler.

Anyway, about this movie. Personally, it didn't do a whole lot for me. It seems to me that Oda recycled alot of plot ideas and themes (which were done much better in the series btw). A fan of the series SHOULD watch it though as it could hold some relevance in the future. But, I personally wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't seen the series.

The opening episode of One Piece has to rank among the worst I have ever seen, and has put me off watching the rest of the show, despite feeling confident that it is genuinely worth it in the end- as several people I trust assure me it's worth sticking it out.

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece: Strong World Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kaizokuou - Dec 12, 2009

170 by bakakisima »»
May 22, 10:33 AM

» prequel or movie?

DerpySven - Sep 21, 2023

3 by SonikTonik »»
Sep 21, 2023 3:17 PM

» Is it necessary?

-Nir- - Jul 8, 2022

14 by davidyodo24 »»
Jul 27, 2023 1:39 AM

» Luffy x nami

paeanblotch - Jul 16, 2023

10 by paeanblotch »»
Jul 21, 2023 12:40 AM

» Here's an interesting thing to talk about

ShiroKokoni - Nov 13, 2022

0 by ShiroKokoni »»
Nov 13, 2022 2:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.