Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 1, 2011 12:36 AM

Nov 2007
Been watching many films this past week.
What films do you find significant to our interests? Perhaps expand on why you think so.
I'll just list some that come to mind immediately for now.

Andre Tarkovsky's Stalker and Zerkalo mainly.

Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain and El Topo are beautifully abstract, surreal and spiritual films. Each person could take something completely different away from them.

Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Darren Aranofsky's Pi and Requiem for a Dream.
DanishFeb 1, 2011 1:37 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 10, 2011 6:51 PM
Jan 2009
Some of my favorite philosophical (non-anime) films: (not gonna get too deep into anything here; no need for a mini-essay just now)

- Anything by the Coen brothers (my favorite live-action filmmakers), but in particular No Country For Old Men (a brutal and gripping take on existentialism) and A Serious Man (probably the best and most beautiful filmic argument I've yet encountered to the effect that we really don't know jack shit about anything).

- Blade Runner; I recently rediscovered this masterpiece, and I will definitely be parsing over it many times in the future. It really is the granddaddy of cyberpunk cinema, with all the questions about human identity, the definition of "life" and the quest for purpose that entails, and it might very well still be the finest.

- A Clockwork Orange; a chilling examination of the nature of evil and free will, as well as a grotesquely beautiful film overall.

I haven't seen Brazil in ages; I recall finding it extremely disturbing to watch, precisely because it made its nightmarish plot so damned funny. It wasn't Monty Python, that's for sure. (Although perhaps I should mention Life of Brian here too, just for the hell of it. Now there's a comedy masterpiece, and it even has something to say!) I ought to check it out again. I've been meaning to watch El Topo and Pi as well; they seem extremely interesting.
Feb 12, 2012 5:19 PM

Apr 2008
Just going to reply quickly or I will give a HUGE ranting piece about one of my favourite subjects. ^_^

My favourite philosophical or existential film directors are Krzysztof Kieślowski & Ingmar Bergman; but especially Kieślowski for The Double Vie de Véronique; his Trois Colours series and Le Décalogue.

Most amazing work in the last 25 years - period.
Dec 1, 2012 7:08 PM
Nov 2012
Check out movies of Ingmar Bergman and Akira Kurosawa.
Also movies of Takashi Miike and Shion Sono.
Broken Saints is an American animated series, very philosophical, i liked it....

Shion Sono is my favourite movie director at the moment:
Suicide Circle - very philosophical and surreal movie about human relationships, and a mysterious suicide spree in Japan
Love Exposure - 4 hour Magnus Opus, containing elements of Drama, Romance, Kung Fu, Comedy, Thriller, you name it, but the mixture works beautifully, a once in a lifetime movie experience
Cold Fish - nihilistic and very dark drama about a serial killer in Japan (based on true events), don't want to give anything away about it
Strange Circus - extremely surrealistic and mysterious plot, watch it, one of my favourites

Check out first film of George Lucas called "THX 1138".

Lars von Trier also makes awesome movies, Melancholia, Dancer in the Dark and Dogville. Very dramatic dark movies, but also with a philosophical touch.

A few more you might like:
Fritz the Cat, Naked Lunch, Confessions, Enter the Void, Fight Club, Matrix, Magnolia, Tree of Life, and one of my favourites also: Waking Life (MUST-WATCH!)
Dec 6, 2012 8:48 PM

Nov 2007
ari_elle said:
Check out movies of Ingmar Bergman and Akira Kurosawa.
Also movies of Takashi Miike and Shion Sono.
Broken Saints is an American animated series, very philosophical, i liked it....

Shion Sono is my favourite movie director at the moment:
Suicide Circle - very philosophical and surreal movie about human relationships, and a mysterious suicide spree in Japan
Love Exposure - 4 hour Magnus Opus, containing elements of Drama, Romance, Kung Fu, Comedy, Thriller, you name it, but the mixture works beautifully, a once in a lifetime movie experience
Cold Fish - nihilistic and very dark drama about a serial killer in Japan (based on true events), don't want to give anything away about it
Strange Circus - extremely surrealistic and mysterious plot, watch it, one of my favourites

Check out first film of George Lucas called "THX 1138".

Lars von Trier also makes awesome movies, Melancholia, Dancer in the Dark and Dogville. Very dramatic dark movies, but also with a philosophical touch.

A few more you might like:
Fritz the Cat, Naked Lunch, Confessions, Enter the Void, Fight Club, Matrix, Magnolia, Tree of Life, and one of my favourites also: Waking Life (MUST-WATCH!)
Great list! Thanks for the recommendations.
Feb 9, 2013 9:37 PM
Sep 2009
2001: A Space Odyssey is grand philosophical sci-fi at its best; showing what humans thirst for knowledge has accomplished, both good and bad, and how it will continue to drive us to change.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Mar 14, 2013 5:47 AM
Feb 2013
Couple of years ago I've seen a film 'Children of Men' which left me with a strong impression and made me curious about the cause why would human kind stop reproducing. What would be the deciding factors of the progressive extincting and which were made by people in the film's shown reality?

I found one possibility, namely weak gametes or lack of them. In process of impregnation the femine gamete join the masculine, after natural selection. Despite the pretences, egg cell chooses sperm cell. Then in less than twenty-four hours their nucleuses unite. During artificial insemnation there are matched cells and to the egg cell aren't comming strong sperm cells, but those which were put on the laborathory glass or one put inside the egg cell. As parents are infertile for some reason, they give weak gametes.

When a women is expecting a boy and the man is infertile because of the defect in y chromosome, the child will be given same defect and as a result he will be infertile too. When he will groa up, he will have to use artificial insemnation like his father. This recurrent cycle may bring about mutations which will expand to the point when the amount of produced sperm cells will decrease until there will be nothing for conception the egg cells.

Moreover, genes appear in pairs, so when someone gives one defective gene with recessive defect to a child, in a natural way the child is given a healthy gene from the other parent. If both of the parents give the defective gene, child is likely to be sick. Some genes with hidden diseases like cystic fibrosis appears with unformed or occluded deferent canals, so a person is infertile but not sterile. If the woman is a carrier of the same disease, after giving birth it'll sure that the child will have this disease in a letal form and won't survive to sexual maturity.

My thesis is that using artificial insemnation was influencial on the situation which appeared in that film. What are your conclusions?
Dec 10, 2013 11:19 AM

Dec 2009
Been meaning to watch Ingmar Bergman films for a while, which would you suggest I start with/any personal favorites?

Dec 13, 2013 9:55 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
intrnt said:
Been meaning to watch Ingmar Bergman films for a while, which would you suggest I start with/any personal favorites?
I'd start with Persona or The Seventh Seal, that's how I grew to be a fan of his from starting those.
Sep 11, 2014 8:31 PM

Jul 2009
Here are my top 10 favorite films. Not in any particular order.

1. Zerkalo directed by Andrei Tarkovsky

I wrote this piece about it.

"let's say you're lying on bed and your memory resurfaces and you dream of all your loved ones, your regrets, and etc. You also get many people and their roles confused (since retrieval of memory is not perfect). You start getting sad and feeling remorseful, beating yourself over many events that have happened in your life ("he said this! she said that!", "why couldn't you have..."), and etc. Your dreams start overtaking you, but at the end you simulataneously accept and nullify yourself when you let go of the bird in your hand, and it flies to the wide expansive field."

2. Melancholia directed by Lars von Triers

Like Offret by Tarkovsky, this film captures the true meaning of Ch'an. It shows how even in moments of utter despair, there can be moments of beauty. "I think -- I hope -- that both concepts [of a utopia and dystopia] are dismissed as adolescent thinking. There are moments of pure, heart stopping beauty in the most tragic and broken environments. And the loveliest community on earth will not be able to eliminate the dog turd..." - Warren Ellis

3. Ikiru directed by Akira Kurosawa

It resembles Tolstoy's Death of Ivan Ilyich which I love. It's about how even with the nearing of death, we can still find a way to connect and make peace with ourselves through selfless compassion or by letting go. It shows how extremes such as too much indulgence lead to more pain.

4. The Cure directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa

Truly one of the most frightening films of all time. No description can do it justice. The movie is so hypnotic to the point where you, too, may start feeling insane. Mamiya truly is like a force that expands and brings out the destructive thoughts within us. Whenever we desire to hurt others or arouse feelings of greed or hatred, the seed for destruction is there, no matter how small, which is how Mamiya hypnotizes people into gruesome murders, by giving the illusion that comfort awaits when we eliminate what induces pain.

5. Au Hasard Balthazar directed by Robert Bresson

The ending was breathtaking. The donkey was more noble than the humans surrounding him. I like Bresson's style of utilizing non-actors and trying to minimize emotion. It's difficult to discuss here.

6. Color of Paradise directed by Majid Majidi

The panentheistic message really got to me. I like how the main character is blind yet can see and feel more than many other characters. He can cognitively make sense of what the birds are singing about based off the pitch, cadence, and etc in the chirps. The film has one of my favorite quotes of all time inspired by Sufism: "Mohammad: [crying] Our teacher says that God loves the blind more because they can't see. But I told him if it was so, He would not make us blind so that we can't see Him. He answered "God is not visible. He is everywhere. You can feel Him. You see Him through your fingertips." / Now I reach out everywhere for God till the day my hands touch Him and tell Him everything, even all the secrets in my heart. "

7. Gabbeh directed by Mohsen Makhmalbaf

The natural scenery in Persia/Iran (same thing) was breathtaking. I really liked how it depicted culture or the individual as having a kind of "collective memory". The way the film intertwines memory with the present in combination with the symbolic significance of the rug was amazing. The film touches on so much such as the struggles involved in daily living, traditional authority vs. freedom, duty vs. unrestrictions, and etc.

8. The Man Who Planted Trees drawn by Frederic Back.

30 minutes long and amazing. It is based off a true story similar to Jadav Payeng's, I believe. Inspirational and shows the power inherent in solitude and stillness. One man revitalizes the land by single-mindedly planting acres of forests, and his actions provided benefits for many by restabilizing the ecosystem. Art style was beautiful.

9. Virgin Springs directed by Ingmar Bergman

Deals with the indifference of the universe to our struggles, and the moral ambiguity in events (i.e., the 'absurd'). Such a brutal yet necessary film to watch. Very similar to Camus' philosophy. Essential watching. My favorite of what I have seen of Ingmar Bergman's. To this day, I still question whether that boy had to die.

10. Fearless with Jet Li (DIRECTOR'S CUT, not regular cut)

One film I recently loved and heartily recommend is Jet Li’s Fearless. Be sure to watch the Director’s Cut because the theatrical cut takes out all the good stuff.

My favorite ritual at my Sangha is having moments of mindfulness randomly interspersed in Dharma talks or even while working. The film Fearless has that when the main character works on the small village’s permaculture farm. That is, there is more stuff in the Director’s Cut about the tribes people such as their spirituality. Every time the wind blows, while working the land, they stand mindfully to let it wash over them. The first time they do it, Huo (i.e., the main character) does not stand with them, and instead, he tries to out-compete others in placing the rice patties, but he messes up. As a consequence, the blind woman goes back to the rice pattie to fix his careless mistakes due to his rushingl he feels remorse and realizes he should not constantly compete and measure himself to others. He starts working sincerely, so he does the rice patty more mindfully and actually stands up silently facing the direction of the Summer breezes to let it wash over him – showing that one should not be concerned with measuring up to others but simply living in the moment, be compassionate to people, and feel connected to environment. I recently had a dream like this which resembled Harvest Moon video games.‏

Notable mention. Memento directed by Christopher Nolan

As a neuroscientist that works in a neurobiology of memory lab, this movie really resonated with me. I mean, I just liked it - whatever!
ExistentialUFONov 25, 2014 10:25 PM
May 28, 2015 1:45 AM

Jan 2013
I'll just quickly post here that the most poignant film I have ever seen is Akira Kurosawa's "Ikiru."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This film talks about the meaning of one's life, why it is important to accept change, to have compassion, create change, influence other with your efforts, and much more.
It shows grief, agony, happiness, sadness, realization, regret, depression, and more all in realistic way within the character Kanji Watanabe; a bureaucrat who has done nothing but sit behind a desk for thirty years, who finds out he has a terminal illness.
This film is not generic in the slightest. The many realizations and motivations that happen withing Watanabe are endearing, as well as believable. This film will make think weather you should do something to change the world yourself, even in a small way. Think about what your true intentions are in life, what other's true intentions are, and what you can do to make those good intentions. This films also shows, surprisingly, that doing good can actually create no influence!

It's such an amazing film with so much to offer in its 2 hours and 20 minutes. People may think it's slow, and generic. I think it's a masterpiece.
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
May 28, 2015 4:57 AM

Jan 2009
^

Akira Kurasawa was truly a legend director. I watch seven samurai and the other movie about the king and his sons fighting for power and his sons killing each other at the end. I can't remember exactly what that movie was it was pretty fascinating and I believe it was a reference to Shakespeare's or one of Shakespeare's works. Usually this director is known for more historical more ancient settings, that film seems special for it being set in a more modern settings. I find his works to be actually dark and not uplifting at all because he always delves into murder and violence in his films maybe that just shows he's a realist than a romanticists. I think he has a really good eye for creating really interesting characters that have sort of special mindset to them, a special persona. I wonder how he has influenced and me and Japanese storytelling in general. I'm using Voice to write this so there will be errors and confusing things in this message.
BiddingGortonioMay 28, 2015 5:05 AM
Jun 1, 2015 4:41 AM

Jan 2013
BiddingGortonio said:
^

Akira Kurasawa was truly a legend director. I watch seven samurai and the other movie about the king and his sons fighting for power and his sons killing each other at the end. I can't remember exactly what that movie was it was pretty fascinating and I believe it was a reference to Shakespeare's or one of Shakespeare's works. Usually this director is known for more historical more ancient settings, that film seems special for it being set in a more modern settings. I find his works to be actually dark and not uplifting at all because he always delves into murder and violence in his films maybe that just shows he's a realist than a romanticists. I think he has a really good eye for creating really interesting characters that have sort of special mindset to them, a special persona. I wonder how he has influenced and me and Japanese storytelling in general. I'm using Voice to write this so there will be errors and confusing things in this message.

To anyone who wants to read my post, I spoil a little bit of the ending of Ikiru (yes, there is something to spoil in a film about a man dying of cancer).
I think the movie you're thinking of in the first sentence is called "Ran." Which is an excellent film. It has quite a devastating ending. My brother and I always say the blind flutist had it the worst out of all of them in the end.
I do agree that Akira Kurosawa's films take a realistic approach when it comes to its storytelling. That style is usually what makes his films so meaningful and memorable. In the case of Ikiru, the fact that it shows the reality of what Watanabe did and how it did and did not influence others makes the film even more inspiring. If everyone was inspired and happy about Watanabe did in the film, it wouldn't carry as much weight as showing the reality of the fact that people would probably do nothing, even after saying they would do something.
As a viewer, it's like showing us what we never want to see; the truth about ourselves. We would, and probably have, done the same thing to people in our lives. Like the parents who gave up their lives for us, and we don't do what they know is best for us. Or having someone save your life, and then never even thanking them in return (it can happen. You'd have to be pretty cruel though). This showing of reality inspires us to do the opposite; or at least for me it does. LOL

By the way, I don't see any mistakes in your post. In fact, it's much better than most people on the internet!
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Philosophical Quote Debate #2: Max Stirner

GonzoLewd - Dec 15, 2013

1 by Neostorm-X »»
Jun 27, 2022 11:01 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introduction Thread ( 1 2 )

Lithic - Jan 26, 2014

70 by morimemen »»
Jun 27, 2020 5:30 PM

» Club Relations ( 1 2 )

Danish - Apr 12, 2009

69 by missbellerophon »»
Aug 2, 2016 3:02 PM

» THE COVER PHOTO

PsychoX - May 3, 2016

0 by PsychoX »»
May 3, 2016 4:34 AM

» To the Bookshelf: Post Your Latest Texts

PleiadesRising - Sep 25, 2012

10 by removed-user »»
Jul 6, 2015 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.