Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 1, 2010 11:01 PM
Dec 2010
Apparently, if I want the complete works of Azumanga Daioh, I have several options. Under the ADV license, I could buy either the 4 individual volumes, or the Omnibus (probably cheaper, but maybe not as nice.)

Or there's the 2009 Yen Press release, which I believe is a different localization. Does anyone familiar with this have a preference for which is better? And why do you prefer that one?
Dec 2, 2010 12:01 AM

Sep 2010
Normally, I'd always choose Yen Press over any other, but for this particular manga I honestly prefer the ADV Omnibus edition. They did a fine job in my opinion with localization, and have translators notes at the end of each volume section for any gags you might not fully understand.

One of the main issues I thought would have been "Oh hey, that books huge, it might be awkward to read near the start and end and get some horrible bend marks along the spine" but it's held up really well, and that was my only real concern.

Plus hey, it was cheaper, at least for me, so I'm happy.
Dec 2, 2010 1:24 AM
Dec 2010
Thanks for your reply, Birix. I have a couple questions. Does Yen Press have a very good reputation generally, which is why you would normally choose them? I'm pretty new to anime and manga, so I'd like to know for future reference. Also, have you actually happened to read the Yen Press Omnibus, and had a chance to compare the two?
Dec 2, 2010 8:19 AM

Sep 2010
I personally love Yen Press as I think they have done amazing jobs with the Yotsuba, Spice & Wolf and Hidamari Sketch manga's which is why I would normally choose them over any others. They've done quite a lot of translations so I try and go with what I know has a high chance of being good, but ADV did a fine job with the Azumanga Daioh Omnibus.

I've read a few small sections of the Yen Press Omnibus and preferred the ADV edition, no particular reason I guess, I just found it nicer overall. Although that might not hold true for the whole thing, but the ADV Omnibus definitely had no glaring flaws in it so there's no problem with it in my opinion. I'd say just go with whatever is easier to find / ends up cheapest as they're all fine.

And no problem bro, happy to help.
Dec 2, 2010 5:08 PM

Jul 2008
I have the Yen Press one and really can't fault it. Great translation, notes to explain anything you might not understand, colour pages, etc. You're safe with either one in my opinion.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla

More topics from this board

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

172 by ixaa »»
2 hours ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga? ( 1 2 )

Nyron - Feb 7

53 by LeonhartAugust »»
3 hours ago

» Good manga to read for people starting out

Goblingaming - May 21

11 by patatitta »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

405 by Leaf2020 »»
8 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

17 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.