Forum Settings
Forums
New
2 hours ago

May 2020
Just hear me out ok? In the rare instances where they show some breasts I am always baffled by the small size of areolas in anime. Biologically speaking women have larger areolas than men, in some cases much larger ones as a matter of fact. Apparently the areola size is determined by female hormones (I assume estrogen among others) evidenced by the fact that areolas grow during pregnancy, but some of these girls have areolas the size of a quarter. Also apparently one of the functions of areolas is to help babies find the nipple because their eyesight is so bad they can't find it otherwise, which I find very funny (I think some of these anime babies are going to be starving I'm afraid :( ). Anyway, this isn't supposed to be a biology lesson, I'm not a doctor and frankly I have no idea what I'm talking about. The point was to illustrate that big areolas are more recognizable as female, so I find it a very strange decision to see most anime girls have small ones.

So why is this? I can think of 3 possible reasons.
1) Light censorship
2) The animators are just freaky that way
3) Practical reasons

So for the first reason, I guess the idea would be that since male nipples/areolas are for some reason not explicit (understablen't) by making female areolas look like male ones it makes the whole thing feel less sexual. For example, in dungeon meshi there are some monsters (like harpies) that have breasts, and in those cases they have these absolutely microscopic 1 pixel areolas. I can sort of understand the decision in that case, they don't want the monsters to feel sexual, but I do not understand it in fan service scenes that for all intents are purposes are supposed to be sexual.

For the second reason, I cannot confirm this but I think maybe Japanese women just have smaller areolas on average. Certainly I think its not that much of a stretch to say Japanese women are on average more petite than many other nationalities. If this is the case, I think it would be understandable that a japanese audience might have a taste for smaller areolas.

For the third reason I am primarily thinking about the absolutely tiny outfits some of these girls are seen wearing, like say Matoi Ryuuko's senketsu. There's only like a little triangle where the nipple should be, or perhaps a thin strap. The only way the areolas could not be visible in this scenario is if they were absolutely tiny. Of course you can come up with other solutions, maybe she is using skin colored pasties, some kind of skin colored powder idk, but regardless it seems to me like a convenient thing for the areolas to be really small as to be able to be covered by the tiny surface area of some of these very skimpy costumes.

What do you think? Is there an international conspiracy here instigated by big milk? Are you satisfied with the areola size "for ants" that is the norm? We have to get to the bottom of this, this is very important... yes, very importante!

2 hours ago
Mar 2017
An odd topic but I'm intrigued. Not the kind I'd usually jump in on but I take it seriously like a science question or just a behind the scenes what artists design things for question and not creeped out by it. XD

Biolgoically makes sense I guess to tell where it is then sight, got to make it possible for them to do that, same as having a dummy/pacifier or the particular end for a milk bottle right? Even though yes the other chemicals transferred with the milk is beneficial.

In Hentai maybe it's different and I know in JAV it's different but depends on the person and of course the camera angle. I'd say if really want to see check Hentai or JAV and you'll find them. It depends on the character designs/camera angles. But not a bad guess to think what you have listed here it would make some biologic sense or just different preferences as well. I never know what to think between different races if they are that biologically different (and even besides different body parts different between genders of course then just thinking it's 1 type when it's multiple) or not just culturally different.

In terms of the Japanese 'preferences' in say an ecchi show or in a particular scene in others I don't know what's popular with audiences as to why they would or what the artists actually think at all. My guess is probably saving time drawing it. If it were a video game I'd say reusing assets but in an anime where the drawing counts for something I'd just say consistency between body types like you see with many characters not have that difference of features just to save on time then that much range of body types.

But your other theorises are fair ones based on what they make the characters wear or what cover up of clothes, cover up things like the pom pom like things/other stuff or tans or creams or lotion or whatever.

I myself couldn't care less, to me the chest size is more the factor then the other aspects.
2 hours ago

Sep 2018
Big aerolas are usually a sign of maturity. Most anime/hentai girls are younger. Kind of based 😭📈
1 hour ago

May 2020
Reply to rohan121
Big aerolas are usually a sign of maturity. Most anime/hentai girls are younger. Kind of based 😭📈
@rohan121 I did consider this explanation, but it does not seem to be the only reason, because regardless of age most anime characters seem to have tiny areolas. I think it looks particularly jarring when you have characters with very large breasts, since that indicates the have a lot of sex hormones (I think? I don't know dude) and yet their areolas are underdeveloped. Of course it can actually happen even in real life but as something of a boob expert myself I'm pretty sure breast size has a positive correlation with areola size.

There is however a second explanation. Japan likes their lolis. lolis have small areolas (I assume). So maybe its a sort of lolification of mature women to give them tiny areolas? Idk, this is a godamn enigma.
1 hour ago

May 2020
Reply to Suntanned_Duck2
An odd topic but I'm intrigued. Not the kind I'd usually jump in on but I take it seriously like a science question or just a behind the scenes what artists design things for question and not creeped out by it. XD

Biolgoically makes sense I guess to tell where it is then sight, got to make it possible for them to do that, same as having a dummy/pacifier or the particular end for a milk bottle right? Even though yes the other chemicals transferred with the milk is beneficial.

In Hentai maybe it's different and I know in JAV it's different but depends on the person and of course the camera angle. I'd say if really want to see check Hentai or JAV and you'll find them. It depends on the character designs/camera angles. But not a bad guess to think what you have listed here it would make some biologic sense or just different preferences as well. I never know what to think between different races if they are that biologically different (and even besides different body parts different between genders of course then just thinking it's 1 type when it's multiple) or not just culturally different.

In terms of the Japanese 'preferences' in say an ecchi show or in a particular scene in others I don't know what's popular with audiences as to why they would or what the artists actually think at all. My guess is probably saving time drawing it. If it were a video game I'd say reusing assets but in an anime where the drawing counts for something I'd just say consistency between body types like you see with many characters not have that difference of features just to save on time then that much range of body types.

But your other theorises are fair ones based on what they make the characters wear or what cover up of clothes, cover up things like the pom pom like things/other stuff or tans or creams or lotion or whatever.

I myself couldn't care less, to me the chest size is more the factor then the other aspects.
@Suntanned_Duck2 Yes, well I am definitely posing this as a genuine question, Its just one of those things you can easily not pay attention too but as a hobbyist ecchi artist myself I cannot help but notice it.

Right, so I am not 100% sure what the situation is in ero-anime as I do not watch it. I do think that in the ero-doujin space at least small areolas are not nearly as common, but of course that is a very diverse environment. If nothing else it shows that people like all the sizes to some degree as you can find artists drawing all the sizes. For the JAV side of things, keep in mind, the actresses that make JAV's are not necessarily representative of the general population, but in my experience I do think there is a large number of petite actresses with small areolas, I would say many more than the well endowed big areola actresses (although I don't know if you can really draw any conclusions from that).

I don't know if I agree with your "time saving" hypothesis. It is true that in many cases characters share body types for example, which could be considered a time saving measure (they don't want to deal with little variations in the hip size, fat distributions etc.) but equally I think where it matters animators will absolutely take the time to draw details, like super detailed eyes, different colored eyes etc. I think its a really small time investment to play with the areola sizes and I think the fact that they are not doing it almost at all indicates to me they just have a preference for small areolas (similarly to how there is a strong preference for shaved crotches).

Well I for one do kind of care if its an ecchi show at least, I mean the nipple is supposed to be the "exciting" part of the breast anatomy right? I think the least they could do is make it the best it can be. As isao kondo once said "I would happily search that flat chest of yours just to find the nipple" or something like that, its been a long time XD
55 minutes ago

Apr 2018
I think that's just the kind of thing that varies depending on the artist, the time period, and/or the level of risqué that the anime is aiming for.

Like, for hentai, I feel that tiny areolas were much more common in older 80's-90's titles, but over the years they've tended to be drawn bigger.

And in terms of artistic style variation, in old "light ecchi" titles you would see nearly non-existent areolas in Rumiko Takahashi works like Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2... but on the other hand, you would also get very realistic nipples in Satoshi Urushihara joints like Plastic Little and Legend of Lemnear.

Or, to make another example from say the mid-to-late 00's, you would see smaller areolas in tamer ecchi like Rosario + Vampire; whereas more hardcore ecchi like To Love-Ru and Maken-Ki would feature larger ones.

And then to speak of the 2010's, you... y'know what? I think I'm just gonna post this and leave it at that:

Happy to put my two cents into this incredibly intellectual discourse, btw.
Stygian_Prisoner45 minutes ago
36 minutes ago

May 2020
Reply to Stygian_Prisoner
I think that's just the kind of thing that varies depending on the artist, the time period, and/or the level of risqué that the anime is aiming for.

Like, for hentai, I feel that tiny areolas were much more common in older 80's-90's titles, but over the years they've tended to be drawn bigger.

And in terms of artistic style variation, in old "light ecchi" titles you would see nearly non-existent areolas in Rumiko Takahashi works like Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2... but on the other hand, you would also get very realistic nipples in Satoshi Urushihara joints like Plastic Little and Legend of Lemnear.

Or, to make another example from say the mid-to-late 00's, you would see smaller areolas in tamer ecchi like Rosario + Vampire; whereas more hardcore ecchi like To Love-Ru and Maken-Ki would feature larger ones.

And then to speak of the 2010's, you... y'know what? I think I'm just gonna post this and leave it at that:

Happy to put my two cents into this incredibly intellectual discourse, btw.
@Stygian_Prisoner hmm... well certainly from the way you are presenting it it does sort of paint the picture that it is a form of light censorship/ limiting the sexuality since you are saying more explicit shows will generally have larger areolas. But I suppose what you said about artistic preference is also true.

I had a little look, honestly the areolas in toraburu seem as small as ever, but I guess most of the girls in that show are teenagers so it can possibly be attributed to that, in maken-ki though they were a little bit larger but still on the small side if you ask me. I do think one way or another there has to be a preference for smaller areolas, regardless of whatever other artistic/censorship considerations there are.

Ok wow, that gif you posted thhough, that actually had some boob veins of all things (although they are green for some reason O.O), now that's some rare stuff to see, I can count the number of times I've seen that in anime on one finger. But yeah, that does look like a more chonky areola than usual.
28 minutes ago
May 2017
I wonder if smaller ones make for easier censorship in cases where an anime has a censored and uncensored version. Less real estate to cover, less of the screen needs to be covered by steam, light beams or whatever else, and thus doesn't make the censored version as garish. I also think smaller ones are easier to draw/look better when simplified. If you gave a character massive areolas that were nothing more than plain pink circles it would probably look a lot more weird than the tiny ones. Easier to draw, easier to animate, I could see why so many anime would choose the smaller option.

Also I think it's pretty hilarious how this thread unironically has a higher level of discussion than most threads I see on MAL. At least as of writing this.
21 minutes ago

Jun 2017
You got it wrong OP, those are not areolas:

15 minutes ago
Mar 2017
Reply to Anjuro
@Suntanned_Duck2 Yes, well I am definitely posing this as a genuine question, Its just one of those things you can easily not pay attention too but as a hobbyist ecchi artist myself I cannot help but notice it.

Right, so I am not 100% sure what the situation is in ero-anime as I do not watch it. I do think that in the ero-doujin space at least small areolas are not nearly as common, but of course that is a very diverse environment. If nothing else it shows that people like all the sizes to some degree as you can find artists drawing all the sizes. For the JAV side of things, keep in mind, the actresses that make JAV's are not necessarily representative of the general population, but in my experience I do think there is a large number of petite actresses with small areolas, I would say many more than the well endowed big areola actresses (although I don't know if you can really draw any conclusions from that).

I don't know if I agree with your "time saving" hypothesis. It is true that in many cases characters share body types for example, which could be considered a time saving measure (they don't want to deal with little variations in the hip size, fat distributions etc.) but equally I think where it matters animators will absolutely take the time to draw details, like super detailed eyes, different colored eyes etc. I think its a really small time investment to play with the areola sizes and I think the fact that they are not doing it almost at all indicates to me they just have a preference for small areolas (similarly to how there is a strong preference for shaved crotches).

Well I for one do kind of care if its an ecchi show at least, I mean the nipple is supposed to be the "exciting" part of the breast anatomy right? I think the least they could do is make it the best it can be. As isao kondo once said "I would happily search that flat chest of yours just to find the nipple" or something like that, its been a long time XD
@Anjuro It's a fair genuine question indeed. :) The little things do matter sometimes to the experience won't deny that.

I can't say for all Hentai or all JAV out there. But yes the actors don't represent all, but even for a sample size it's something. I mean without doing research we can't really know and that research wouldn't really happen unless by scientists, or people open enough to a social experiment. XD But I agree, but it's a vague generalisation based on brief obvservation. But yeah for ecchi shows I'd probably say yes to tone it down for sure. Even just the chest size not just the other aspects of it.

I don't completely agree with the time saving assumption/hypothesis either it's just a theory really so you are fair to question it. :) I don't have that strong of a agreement with that just an observational thought and listing possibilities rather than enforcing it as my final answer or mindset. Very much an observational guess nothing more.

I won't deny if some artists have more diversity body types to present (manga/anime/visual novel/fighting game/JRPG as of course adaptations). I was mostly thinking in the way that Senran Kagura is and most there to me at least seem about all the same besides like 2 characters that are flat. Probably some minor differences in body type I just don't know enough.

It varies per artist or per era and what works for character designs though. Each creator is different, each audience prefers what they do of appealing qualities.

Whether ecchi scenes, or ecchi shows, or I guess POV shows and how far they go about things it varies. I don't take all that seriously, I enjoy fan service used well in story, I don't mind some jokes, I don't mind some scenes, it depends.

Seeing Those Science Freaks/Kaguku no Yatsura (OVA borderline Hentai/ecchi) I found it's moments with the flat character to be fair and more appeal in it's particular scenes compared to the bigger characters where I didn't find it as appealing. Some like Eiken are a joke. Others in more normal series are fair characters and fair designed characters.

I'm fine with flat characters, I'll still read or watch something I come for the story/humour most times, the ecchi is a bonus unless it's intentionally an ecchi series. Or same with Yuri/romantic sub text. They have their qualities.

In terms of other series it probably is the case for sure. There are many examples but the more I see characters with similar enough bodies and whatever the case for chests, faces, hips/thighs/legs, arms span, fingers, etc. and more I just question it that way in the sake of conversation not always do I pay 'THAT' close attention to the art only enough to get an idea of the scene/character expressions and even in ecchi content I do just look at it but still have a certain amount of things in the zone I'm considering with it not a lot of thought (as people would be when looking at such content yes XD).

I don't have an issue with the time saving or genuine work and what deadlines or anything else if it's handled well. I don't usually question body types I'm more focused on story or if I notice animation details but usually the story (for a game gameplay and story or bugs).

In terms of hair colours/style or eyes and more I know they do differ quite a bit and it's great when they vary far enough but I don't mind subtle differences too, but chest I sometimes notice but mostly notice the face details vary more.

The shaved then not yeah I can see that. I get they prefer clean, I can understand why. Same with the censoring of parts too even in Hentai, not only is it not appealing but just the general censoring makes sense even if the audience watching know what they are in for besides the designs looking how they do.

I do sometimes. I don't mind flat or more than but still won't deny do prefer more than but some flat have their charm.

To me I never question the other aspects of the chest that much. It can help with teasing or the reveal and yes the enjoyment of it (seeing, or engaging with it) than just seeing the shape or squeezing or bouncing. It is a surprise element or valid for more than that no doubt.

I can agree that it's like having a face reveal, it's intriguing, the mystery is there, how it looks, how they reveal it, how much detail they put into it.

For flat yeah that is more the appeal I assume then just the flatness, while with bigger yeah I'd say it adds to it but the bigger has it's own appeal and because of putting it between or bouncing/squeezing.

It's a fair quote for sure though. I get the meaning besides everyone having their own preferences.

I don't like to put particular words when I type and talk about subjects like this so that's why it sounds so clean/almost like being clean and intelligent about the subject. XD Just how I feel about typing about it online.
Suntanned_Duck212 minutes ago
13 minutes ago

May 2020
Reply to Steve_Meave
I wonder if smaller ones make for easier censorship in cases where an anime has a censored and uncensored version. Less real estate to cover, less of the screen needs to be covered by steam, light beams or whatever else, and thus doesn't make the censored version as garish. I also think smaller ones are easier to draw/look better when simplified. If you gave a character massive areolas that were nothing more than plain pink circles it would probably look a lot more weird than the tiny ones. Easier to draw, easier to animate, I could see why so many anime would choose the smaller option.

Also I think it's pretty hilarious how this thread unironically has a higher level of discussion than most threads I see on MAL. At least as of writing this.
@Steve_Meave For the censorship side of things, I doubt the surface area is a factor, I was meaning it more in a way that when they do show it just feels less sexual. You know, like for example, many anime can get away with showing the dick of a very young character because its not perceived as being sexual in the context. My hypothesis was that large areolas appear more female and are therefore perceived as more sexual, hence may make it harder to broadcast.

You raise a really good point with the detail exaplanation though, with really small areolas you can get away with a flat colour but tha larger you make them the more plain and "plastic" it looks without spending time to add gradients or possibly surface details like granules. Tbh, even ecchi anime have so few shots of exposed breasts that I honestly cannot think its that big of an issue but in principle I can accept this as a contributing factor.

Hey well, you know the meme right? Boys debating about world peace: picture of monkey enclosure in a zoo, Boys debating about areola sizes: Everyone is in a tuxedo, monocle and top hat speaking victorian english sitting in a round table XD Idk, at least for me I take it seriously cause I care about it.
10 minutes ago

May 2020
Reply to Tirinchas
You got it wrong OP, those are not areolas:

@Tirinchas I have already addressed this issue in my previous biblliography

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2064738

More topics from this board

» Would you watch an anime with Hitler as the main character

JoeChip - 11 hours ago

35 by KittenCuddler »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you find Anime to be too safe and soulless nowadays compared to previous decades?

Dragevard - Aug 4

27 by ShatteredSans »»
16 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7317 by Hikinekomori »»
18 minutes ago

» What is score of your average/ mid anime? ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Yesterday

82 by FedeMetal »»
26 minutes ago

» What if all we know about anime and manga in the west is wrong?

thewiru - Yesterday

17 by Lucifrost »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.