Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 18, 5:17 AM

Nov 2019
Oh, this guy. His childhood friend treats him like a punching bag for her stress (jk, she's just rough and being herself) while being nice to everybody else. And Reina is Reina - savage and (unintentionally) cold. He must have his own goals in life, and the pressure of the incoming final performance is there too. I know he's a side character and there might be no way we are going to get much insight on these things.

But does he have a specific goal? Does he like music and want to win? Does he have friends other than Kumiko and Reina who are there to support him through hard stuff? What about his parent? Even that new kid found solace in the form of Sapphire senpai.

Just asking, not a shitpost. It's like when you suddenly have an epiphany about a character in one of your beloved franchise. Novel readers, feel free to elaborate, I do know things have been cut out. Don't spoil tho :3
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 18, 10:31 AM
Jan 2022
I think he's a common teenager from any anime, but he hasn't had much relevance until now. Personally, I see him more as an extra without any prominence until now, he will hardly have any prominence...Sometimes I forget he exists in the anime lol
May 20, 2:57 AM

Jan 2011
sucks? kinda does yeah
May 20, 7:11 AM

Jun 2019
You can read this.This old topic ⬇ ⬇ ⬇ ⬇ ⬇ ⬇
Anyone else feel a certain trombone player needs more love?
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1765919
May 21, 4:40 AM
Feb 2020
If I'm not wrong, he gets much more limelight in the LNs (especially the final volume). In the anime, well, it depends on the director's vision for the anime.
May 21, 9:22 AM

Jan 2021
I wonder why he just doesn't shoot for Mamiko instead. I recall her saying he's good looking in Season 1 or 2. She may not be Kumiko, but I think she can hold her own. Seeing her in the last episode made me want to see more of her.
May 21, 11:29 AM

Oct 2012
No, he should have taken Hazuki when he had the chance.
What they made of this romance is a disgrace.
May 21, 1:00 PM

Nov 2019
@SUPER_CANNES @scineram

The funny thing is, let's forget about ships for a moment. If being a romantic interest is his only role in the story, then discussion over. The show didn't even thrive on that part.

It's about his character in general. Bro has been there from the beginning. Now he's the third leader of a team that's going for the ultimate bout. And he's treated worse than a NPC. Maybe I can ignore him, but I can't shake this phenomenon outta my head XD.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 22, 12:51 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to scineram
No, he should have taken Hazuki when he had the chance.
What they made of this romance is a disgrace.
@scineram Man I had forgotten about that Hazuki Shuichi plot point until you reminded me. What a mess. He should have not rejected her. Maybe getting together would have resulted in some more development for both. Hazuki is actually cute too, but of course Shuichi had to shoot for Kumiko.

@Laplace_kun You could take him out of the story and it wouldn’t make a difference. I don’t mind him at all, but other characters have gotten so much more development that it’s not even fair. As someone who really likes the show, Shuichi is the only part where it fails.
May 22, 6:30 AM

Dec 2010
chilldhood friend doesn't need any development.
キターーーー(・∀・)ーーー!!
May 22, 12:32 PM

Oct 2012
Wtf, they are dating. And it makes no fucking difference.
May 22, 5:58 PM
Aug 2019
Reply to scineram
@scineram they aren’t dating, him and Kumiko. During the movie, she turned him down during the second year training camp by returning the hair lip he gave her to focus on concert band. If he still feels the same way after concert band is over in their 3rd year of high school, then they might go out again.
May 22, 5:58 PM
Aug 2019
Reply to scineram
@scineram they aren’t dating, him and Kumiko. During the movie, she turned him down during the second year training camp by returning the hair lip he gave her to focus on concert band. If he still feels the same way after concert band is over in their 3rd year of high school, then they might go out again.
May 22, 9:57 PM

Jun 2019
Reply to strange_wilds
@strange_wilds
May 26, 7:15 AM

Dec 2012
You don't understand OP. He's a man's man. Stoic, ice-cold killer. Takes the brunt of the bantz because he's got the eyes on the prize. Contrary to everything you may have been taught, this is how real people find their soul mates: not through romantic gestures but by being manly men going their own path and being cool. Shuuichi hangs out with the lads, leads behind the (anime) scenes and gives the Kumiko as much as she asks while respectfully letting her semi-gay friendship blossom. He's got this, he's maining his part, he's leading his squad and keeps in tip top shape and sound. He's a man without need of a plan. Roses and chocolates are unnecessary when the future is yours to seize and you enjoy your school days as they're meant to be in serene colaboration.
Tsukamoto is Taki-sensei if he could have less responsibility and more free time. Collected and simple but hard working and as straight a man as can be.
May 26, 7:43 AM
Jan 2011
Shuichi isn't bad. He's just a normal boy for the most part.

He gets more characterization in the novels, Sometimes, this studio seems to have a hard time remembering that boys exist (side eye at K-On). Shuichi has 1000% more characterization than any other male character on the show. If Motomo or Goto weren't in the bass section, Shuichi would be the only boy in the anime with speaking lines anymore. They didn't really contribute much to the story, either.

May 26, 7:52 AM

Nov 2023
He is one of fav character. But deserves more respect.

I know people make promises all the time
Then they turn right around and break them
When someone cuts your heart open with a knife, now you're bleeding
But I could be that guy to heal it over time
And I won't stop until you believe it
'Cause baby you're worth it
May 27, 6:14 PM
Mar 2019
Reply to postblitz
You don't understand OP. He's a man's man. Stoic, ice-cold killer. Takes the brunt of the bantz because he's got the eyes on the prize. Contrary to everything you may have been taught, this is how real people find their soul mates: not through romantic gestures but by being manly men going their own path and being cool. Shuuichi hangs out with the lads, leads behind the (anime) scenes and gives the Kumiko as much as she asks while respectfully letting her semi-gay friendship blossom. He's got this, he's maining his part, he's leading his squad and keeps in tip top shape and sound. He's a man without need of a plan. Roses and chocolates are unnecessary when the future is yours to seize and you enjoy your school days as they're meant to be in serene colaboration.
Tsukamoto is Taki-sensei if he could have less responsibility and more free time. Collected and simple but hard working and as straight a man as can be.
@postblitz i need this comment framed on my wall.
May 28, 1:53 AM

Nov 2019
@postblitz Haha, yeah.

(Excerpt from novel I found after some digging)

“What’re you doing?” He pulled Kumiko’s hand up with his own. It was a large hand. Kumiko liked being in the palm of that hand. What kind of expression would Shuichi make if she joined hands with him? They’d get closer and whisper “I love you.” And then, maybe…… All these delusions running wild inside her head made Kumiko embarrassed.

Bro's rizz is too high for Kyoani to handle.
May 31, 1:02 PM

Dec 2012
Reply to Laplace_kun
@postblitz Haha, yeah.

(Excerpt from novel I found after some digging)

“What’re you doing?” He pulled Kumiko’s hand up with his own. It was a large hand. Kumiko liked being in the palm of that hand. What kind of expression would Shuichi make if she joined hands with him? They’d get closer and whisper “I love you.” And then, maybe…… All these delusions running wild inside her head made Kumiko embarrassed.

Bro's rizz is too high for Kyoani to handle.
@Laplace_kun Cool
No worries though, i have a bad feeling there will be a movie for the nationals and the series will end with just the qualification for it.
There HAS to be some kind of grand sendoff with proper instrument playing animations. Coupled with Kumiko's actualization of her career path and public view of her relationship status - or at least Reina's non-tsundere acknowledgement.
Jun 2, 11:22 AM
Nov 2022
Well, he's a great character and I love him for his realness.

Honestly, I am here because I am curious about something. So, Shuichi had more than 1000 favourites the last time I checked. But now he only has a 100? It isn't a big deal and I honestly don't care, but I just noticed how his position went down, which made me curious. Did something happen that made more than 900 un-favourite him? Or is it a glitch that often occurs in Mal? I am sorry that what I am adding here isn't exactly helping the discussion. To anyone who reads this, have a great day!
Jun 2, 11:45 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to amusedpatata
Well, he's a great character and I love him for his realness.

Honestly, I am here because I am curious about something. So, Shuichi had more than 1000 favourites the last time I checked. But now he only has a 100? It isn't a big deal and I honestly don't care, but I just noticed how his position went down, which made me curious. Did something happen that made more than 900 un-favourite him? Or is it a glitch that often occurs in Mal? I am sorry that what I am adding here isn't exactly helping the discussion. To anyone who reads this, have a great day!
@amusedpatata there was recently a bot purge on the site so that may be the reason why. it happened to some other characters as well.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2162678
Jun 2, 12:29 PM

Aug 2020
Dude acted cool in today's episode

Jun 5, 12:48 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to Skaldi2
@amusedpatata there was recently a bot purge on the site so that may be the reason why. it happened to some other characters as well.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2162678
@Skaldi2 Oh wow. I was not aware that stuff like that happened over here. Thank you so much for telling me!!
8 hours ago
May 2024
Shuichi? I don't know him

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion

Softhenic03 - 3 hours ago

15 by Gotengo »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 19

68 by DUYANCU159 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

96 by dragynfaerie »»
11 hours ago

» New Story Visuals

ARK-13 - May 11

5 by ARK-13 »»
Yesterday, 2:07 AM

» Smiling Reina

Oreki_Houtaro24 - Jun 5

4 by KitsuFrost »»
Jun 6, 7:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.