Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 10:07 PM

Jan 2012
I've had dreams that felt real before, but strangely enough it's deja vu via dreams that I've most strongly experienced. Several times I've dreamt something that would later actually happen. Nothing major of course, that never included driving tanks and jets and destroying everything in sight. But in Penguin Village, where everyday life often seems more fanciful than one's wildest dreams, I suppose the line can get blurred rather easily. I noticed several repeated animation shots in this one, especially that climax which just kinda ended. But what stuck with me the most was the children all looking on, laughing uproariously, as Mr. Kurigashira was drowning. Seriously, that was creepy more than anything else. Felt like something out of a horror movie. I almost expected to see Freddy Krueger pop-up with all the dream talk, but I guess the first Nightmare film was still a few months from release when this originally aired. Oh, and Obotchaman-kun had a song about being polite. How...on brand.

Next time: Fine dining with the Norimaki clan, and a possible break for me. More on that next week.
May 9, 12:23 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to animefan8800
I've had dreams that felt real before, but strangely enough it's deja vu via dreams that I've most strongly experienced. Several times I've dreamt something that would later actually happen. Nothing major of course, that never included driving tanks and jets and destroying everything in sight. But in Penguin Village, where everyday life often seems more fanciful than one's wildest dreams, I suppose the line can get blurred rather easily. I noticed several repeated animation shots in this one, especially that climax which just kinda ended. But what stuck with me the most was the children all looking on, laughing uproariously, as Mr. Kurigashira was drowning. Seriously, that was creepy more than anything else. Felt like something out of a horror movie. I almost expected to see Freddy Krueger pop-up with all the dream talk, but I guess the first Nightmare film was still a few months from release when this originally aired. Oh, and Obotchaman-kun had a song about being polite. How...on brand.

Next time: Fine dining with the Norimaki clan, and a possible break for me. More on that next week.
@animefan8800 Yep, you've about caught up with us. Congrats and thanks for the reviews!
May 9, 12:54 PM

Jan 2012
Thanks @sebubibinman and I appreciate what shiteatersubs has been doing, but next week will feel bittersweet. It will be my last 40 years-to-the-date watch of an episode unless they put out another episode in the next two weeks. And even then, THAT will be the last one. So either 158 or 159. After that the schedule will be much more erratic and part of me wants to wait and let a bunch of episodes pile up before continuing, but that would take months in all likelihood so we'll see. Maybe I'll go back to watching og Shin-chan for a bit to get my retro fix, I think about another dozen or so of those have gotten subbed since I last put it on hold. I really wish someone had subbed Kabocha Wine. I remember really liking the handful of episodes I watched of that about 5 or 6 years ago now. Then there's Cooking Papa and Kochikame. So many fun retro shows still lacking subs afaik. It's a pity, but I digress.

EDIT: Well I'll be damned, it looks like Kabocha Wine actually HAS been subbed in the years since I watched the first few episodes. At least the first 47 episodes anyway. Guess I found what I'll be replacing Dr. Slump with after next week lol.
animefan8800May 11, 11:16 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dr. Slump: Arale-chan Episode 2 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Jul 17, 2016

6 by ArtimesGamer »»
Jun 5, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Dr. Slump: Arale-chan Episode 158 Discussion

animefan8800 - May 15

4 by animefan8800 »»
May 17, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Dr. Slump: Arale-chan Episode 156 Discussion

animefan8800 - May 1

0 by animefan8800 »»
May 1, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Dr. Slump: Arale-chan Episode 155 Discussion

animefan8800 - Apr 24

0 by animefan8800 »»
Apr 24, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Dr. Slump: Arale-chan Episode 154 Discussion

animefan8800 - Apr 17

0 by animefan8800 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.