Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 13, 8:10 AM

Feb 2022
i was wondering about how the novels is in comparison to the anime, so far i've only read one volume and i was wondering if it gets better. What are some things that makes the novel good, should i continue reading, is it worth it? no spoilers please!

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Mar 13, 8:18 AM
Aug 2022
FarWalker said:
i was wondering about how the novels is in comparison to the anime, so far i've only read one volume and i was wondering if it gets better. What are some things that makes the novel good, should i continue reading, is it worth it? no spoilers please!

Someone else can give a better opinion but from what I’ve heard the anime cuts a insane amount of content out from the light novel.

So i imagine it would be better to just read from the beginning if your cool with that
Mar 13, 8:24 AM
Mar 2022
Yes, the light novel gets better and better with each Volume, Classroom of the Elite is more about character than plot and Anime cuts a lot of those Character moments
Mar 13, 8:31 AM

Dec 2010
Read the novel from the beginning.
The anime changed a lot including the best girl due to director bias
Mar 13, 8:44 AM

Mar 2013
You should read from the start.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 13, 8:50 AM
Dec 2020
From my perspective the anime gives you the main points of what happened in the novel, while changing some of the details to save time. This makes sense since in an anime they have a limited amount of time per episode. In the novel on the other hand, there is definitely more details, especially since the story is told from a 1st P.O.V. so you get the full thought process. In the latest chess game, for example you can really tell how suspicious the Class B teacher is of Ayanokouji, how carefully Sakayanagi planed this to not inconvenience Ayanokouji, and how different the game was once the leaders joined. It also gives you a better understanding of the characters and helps you guess what might happen in the future.

That said, the novels are not perfect, it definitely suffers from the “every girl falls for the protagonist” syndrome. So if that is really not up your alley I say maybe don’t bother. In my case, I don’t enjoy it but I can overlook it since the main focus is still on the plot and not the romance.
Mar 13, 8:53 AM
Jun 2022
Agree with everyone else here. Read from the start since the anime does leave out a lot and basically cuts all of Ayanokoji’s inner monologue which makes the series for me. Year 2 is amazing, but there are a lot of threads that connect to the first Year story that isn’t focused on/kinda glossed over in the anime.
Mar 13, 9:09 AM

Jul 2022
FarWalker said:

The ligut novel is far superior imo. There is too much cut content in the anime, and also, the characters are far more interesting than what's presented in the adaptation.
Mar 13, 9:11 AM

May 2021
I don't think you need to reread everything, but I guarentee you might be very confused reading y2 cuz of all those names which aren't mentioned in the anime
Mar 13, 9:12 AM
Aug 2023
can i read the novel on the internet?
Mar 13, 10:00 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to vio_vio70
can i read the novel on the internet?
@vio_vio70 You can just download the whole bunch of volumes from here. And load them on google books for great experience ie.
Mar 13, 10:18 AM

Feb 2021
The light novels are better than the anime in every single way.

And you should buy the volumes to support the author instead of reading it for free.
Mar 13, 10:24 AM
Aug 2023
either wait for the end of season or read from the start
Mar 13, 10:25 AM

Apr 2021
Im currently rereading the lns, and i gotta say that it isnt the best ln out there however its a pretty good read. The characters are better fleshed out, you can actually see a lot of them developing, you see a lot of interactions between the characters that lets you pick up a lot abt them.

Besides that, i think this story offers a good amt of buildup with a good payoff at the climax of each volume.

Personally i watched the first season and started reading from vol 4. I know there was cut content but i never felt confused when i pick up vol 4. Now, i cant say the same of s2 and s3 cuz they have omitted scenes that are important imo, like the majority of scenes with nagumo have been cut, so you really dont know the extent of his abilities, plus there has been scenes omitting characters talking about the private points system, which is an important element to understand.

So basically to know if its worth your time, did you find the premise and the setting of the story interesting? if you do, then i advise you to read the lns, if you dont like it, then dont.
Mar 13, 10:26 AM
Mar 2021
YashxArya said:
@vio_vio70 You can just download the whole bunch of volumes from here. And load them on google books for great experience ie.

so you just download them and use Google books?

I've never seen anything like this before.

thank you btw.
Mar 13, 10:29 AM
Oct 2017
Reply to luisfunes99
Im currently rereading the lns, and i gotta say that it isnt the best ln out there however its a pretty good read. The characters are better fleshed out, you can actually see a lot of them developing, you see a lot of interactions between the characters that lets you pick up a lot abt them.

Besides that, i think this story offers a good amt of buildup with a good payoff at the climax of each volume.

Personally i watched the first season and started reading from vol 4. I know there was cut content but i never felt confused when i pick up vol 4. Now, i cant say the same of s2 and s3 cuz they have omitted scenes that are important imo, like the majority of scenes with nagumo have been cut, so you really dont know the extent of his abilities, plus there has been scenes omitting characters talking about the private points system, which is an important element to understand.

So basically to know if its worth your time, did you find the premise and the setting of the story interesting? if you do, then i advise you to read the lns, if you dont like it, then dont.
@luisfunes99 You're joking right? with the part "it isnt the best ln out there". Because it's one of the best selling light novels in Japan and they recently put it in the hall of fame (meaning no more awards are given because it's now a guarantee of quality). May not be the best ln, but it's for sure among the best ln.
DijeMar 13, 10:35 AM
Mar 13, 10:34 AM

Apr 2021
Dije said:
@luisfunes99 You're joking right? with the part "it isnt the best ln out there". Because it's one of the best selling light novels in Japan and they recently put it in the hall of fame (meaning no more awards are given because it's now a guarantee of quality)

Hmm... sorry for giving my opinion? I thought it was pretty clear that my comment was coming from my own subjectivity.
Mar 13, 10:41 AM
Oct 2017
Reply to luisfunes99
Dije said:
@luisfunes99 You're joking right? with the part "it isnt the best ln out there". Because it's one of the best selling light novels in Japan and they recently put it in the hall of fame (meaning no more awards are given because it's now a guarantee of quality)

Hmm... sorry for giving my opinion? I thought it was pretty clear that my comment was coming from my own subjectivity.
@luisfunes99 ok don't worry
Mar 13, 10:50 AM
Jul 2022
FarWalker said:

Read from start or atleast read volume 0 but plot wise year 2 is way better than year 1. I do recommend starting over though they covered an entire novel in one episode at times so I would restart.
Mar 13, 11:41 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to Hacker075
YashxArya said:

so you just download them and use Google books?

I've never seen anything like this before.

thank you btw.
@Hacker075 Is this not the common way ತ⁠_⁠ʖ⁠ತ
Mar 13, 11:47 AM
May 2021
where can we read the light novel ? bc I never heard someone in my friend own a light novel so idk if we can buy it somewhere
Mar 13, 12:39 PM

Feb 2021
Pit92 said:
where can we read the light novel ? bc I never heard someone in my friend own a light novel so idk if we can buy it somewhere
I bought mine from Barnes & Noble, but you can also buy them from Amazon or even the Crunchyroll store which is a lot cheaper.
Mar 13, 1:43 PM
Mar 2022
I'd recommend reading from after s1.
Mar 13, 1:44 PM
Mar 2022
Pit92 said:

the app webnovel has it
Mar 13, 2:20 PM
Jun 2020
As LN reader it's hard to me to watch the anime. So much content cut... The biggest value in COTE are the thoughts of the mc. It'd be best to read from start

Pit92 said:

have you tried google? like... all it takes is to type "cote ln" and it shows you physical copies to order and other 'alternatives'
Mar 13, 2:24 PM
Mar 2021
YashxArya said:
@Hacker075 Is this not the common way ತ⁠_⁠ʖ⁠ತ

I've seen reading on "Perfectly Legal" sites before but never downloads.
Mar 13, 5:07 PM
Nov 2023
im gonna be honest with you bro, just read it from volume 1. the adaptation is god awful for such a great novel
Mar 13, 9:41 PM
Jan 2023
I started reading the LN a few days back and I've covered S1 stuff and I can easily say that the LN is way better and you should start it from the beginning. The characters are very different from the anime and it gets better with time.
Mar 13, 10:50 PM
Aug 2023
YashxArya said:

thx, i was trying to read the LN from a long time but i couldn't find it
Mar 14, 1:13 AM

Feb 2022
Reply to MadanielFL
The light novels are better than the anime in every single way.

And you should buy the volumes to support the author instead of reading it for free.
@MadanielFL i would but im broke atm

Mar 14, 2:51 AM
May 2019
I would recommend to start from Volume 4, because I think season 1 is a good adaptation and you can skip the first two volumes which are pretty bad imo.
Mar 14, 4:28 AM

Feb 2022
Reply to Geulengespann
I would recommend to start from Volume 4, because I think season 1 is a good adaptation and you can skip the first two volumes which are pretty bad imo.
@Geulengespann why do you consider the first volumes to be pretty bad? the first volume was okay for me nothing special, idk if i would call it bad though

Mar 14, 5:45 AM
May 2019
@FarWalker It's been a while since I've read them, but Volume 1 and 2 felt more like an Oregairu clone with a hornier protagonist, while later on he says that all that inner monologue was just an act and drops it. I also remember cringing a lot, for example how he confronts the store clerk.
Mar 14, 1:22 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to Geulengespann
@FarWalker It's been a while since I've read them, but Volume 1 and 2 felt more like an Oregairu clone with a hornier protagonist, while later on he says that all that inner monologue was just an act and drops it. I also remember cringing a lot, for example how he confronts the store clerk.
@Geulengespann Oh okay i felt that a bit the whole horny and weird protagnoist vibe from him, i didn't feel that from him in the anime only when reading the first volume, but i thinkn i'll just push through and read everything.

Mar 14, 1:23 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to angevarg
im gonna be honest with you bro, just read it from volume 1. the adaptation is god awful for such a great novel
@angevarg okay i'll do that :)

Mar 14, 1:23 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to SmartySS
I started reading the LN a few days back and I've covered S1 stuff and I can easily say that the LN is way better and you should start it from the beginning. The characters are very different from the anime and it gets better with time.
@SmartySS Yeah okay thanks for the advice, im going to push through and read the whole thing.

Mar 14, 1:24 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to booyah10
Read the novel from the beginning.
The anime changed a lot including the best girl due to director bias
@booyah10 are you refering to horikita when you are talking about best girl or somebody else?

Mar 14, 1:25 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to CrazyButNot4U
You should read from the start.
@CrazyButNot4U oki doki i'll do that

Mar 14, 1:26 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to RetroxLight
From my perspective the anime gives you the main points of what happened in the novel, while changing some of the details to save time. This makes sense since in an anime they have a limited amount of time per episode. In the novel on the other hand, there is definitely more details, especially since the story is told from a 1st P.O.V. so you get the full thought process. In the latest chess game, for example you can really tell how suspicious the Class B teacher is of Ayanokouji, how carefully Sakayanagi planed this to not inconvenience Ayanokouji, and how different the game was once the leaders joined. It also gives you a better understanding of the characters and helps you guess what might happen in the future.

That said, the novels are not perfect, it definitely suffers from the “every girl falls for the protagonist” syndrome. So if that is really not up your alley I say maybe don’t bother. In my case, I don’t enjoy it but I can overlook it since the main focus is still on the plot and not the romance.
@RetroxLight Thanks for the explanation, this is super helpful!

Mar 14, 1:27 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to Matrix740
either wait for the end of season or read from the start
@Matrix740 yeah im doing that

Mar 14, 1:28 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to luisfunes99

@luisfunes99 Thank you so much! I really appreciate the insight and this was super helpful!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

212 by PanditaMimilona »»
Sep 16, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20

143 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 9, 4:45 PM

» Not just bout this anime.

Avamarie316 - Sep 5

14 by DragyG »»
Sep 6, 7:17 AM

» 4th season announced ( 1 2 )

Dbagas8 - Aug 31

59 by Insane_0_2 »»
Sep 3, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 13

143 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 2, 10:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.