Forum Settings
Forums

What score do you considered as average? (out of 10)

New
What score do you considered as average for anime? (out of 10)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 25, 1:45 PM
May 2020
5 is average, if you don't use it as such you're not making full use of the rating scale
Jan 25, 1:51 PM

Apr 2022
I think 6 is an average good show, and 5 is just a watchable show but it's nothing special after all.
Jan 25, 4:04 PM

Mar 2021
I don't understand why people don't just follow the rating system the site gives. 5 is average because MAL says so. Going against that would be using the rating system on this site incorrectly.

In general, I find number systems when reviewing entertainment to be stupid. A percentage based on recommended vs not recommended is way better. It just gets stupid attaching a number to hundreds of shows. It gets to the point where you're like "well if I rate this show an 8, it means it's better than that show, but that show wasn't actually better than this other show, so maybe it should be a 7".......you just start comparing to other shows to fall on a certain number. The more you watch, the more you compare. It becomes a bit of a mess.
-Hermit-Jan 25, 4:07 PM
Jan 25, 4:16 PM

May 2021
it’s hard to choose one
I consider 6 as average but I mostly like it and 5 as average but I mostly dislike it

a 7 means it’s good to me
Jan 25, 4:51 PM
Apr 2022
5.5 is my average. 5 is close to, but less than average. 6 is close to, but more than average. one may question 'then how do u rate it as average?' my answer is 'i don't, I imagine myself holding my finger down on top of a vertical, paralled coin, swaying my finger left side or right side til I made up my mind which side it will fall'
Jan 25, 5:10 PM

Jan 2020
when i was younger i'd deadass say that 7 was the average rating of a show. looking back on it, i think its a bit foolish to rate something as high as a 7 just to call it "average". no offense to anyone who rates that way though, more power to you. i think 5.5 is the best bet for me, but since MAL doesn't count decimals, i just go with a 5 nowadays. and no im not rounding up to a 6. 5 just sounds "average" to me. since...you know...half of 10 is 5...and half of masterpiece is..average...i dont know.
man.
Jan 26, 3:33 AM

May 2020
5 is in the middle, therefore it's a mediocre score to me. Not a bad score but not a good one either, a show/movie that I have mix feeling about although I don't hate (sometimes it might represents a show I had high expectations but let me disappointed). Everything above 5 is whatever I enjoyed, ranging from ok/pretty good to masterpiece, simple to me!

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Jan 26, 4:53 AM

Oct 2021
For me:

7 = average
6 = average and less memorable
5 = average and I've forgotten what actually has happened
Jan 26, 11:43 AM

Nov 2014
I mean, on a scale from 1-10, 5 is not effectively the middle (since we have 4 negative ratings 1-4, and 5 positive ratings 6-10). It would be the middle on a scale from 0-10.
I still use 5 as my average rating (MAL named it for me).
Jan 26, 12:12 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I don't really think about it in terms of average. A 5/6 means is was ok/fine. A 4 and below means it was generally bad, and a 7+ means I thought it was solidly good.
Jan 26, 1:26 PM

May 2018
For me average is 4 and 5. I give these to shows I don't like much but approve as viable.
6 in my list already means "good".
When someone starts attacking me for having "low" mean score or rating something too low, I reply that I literally use seven numbers for good things and only three numbers for bad.
Nemo_NiemandJan 26, 1:30 PM

Jan 26, 1:28 PM

Aug 2021
5 should be average but tbh i start at 7 when rating tho
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2:28 PM

Oct 2018
Even MAL acknowledged 5 as average.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

79 by EmiliaHoarfrost »»
19 seconds ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 )

707supremacist - May 5

135 by Jeevanandhnr »»
44 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

104 by SaltyCookie »»
52 minutes ago

» What views on anime make you feel like some 2nd century Christian who rejects most of the gospels on obscure gnostic grounds.

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

12 by Theo1899 »»
1 hour ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - 12 hours ago

12 by DigiCat »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.