Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2023 9:33 PM

Mar 2008
I was expecting there to be word play with Anri's name like there was with Shion. I couldn't figure out why Ito-sensei named her Satanri or Satan Ri. But as soon as it was revealed that her family name was changed from Satan to Sata it sunk in. Anri is likely a play on the "Satan" of Zoroastrianism, Angra Mainyu or Ahriman. Her name is essentially Satan Ahri.

I have a very funny feeling that Anri is in the exact same situation that Shamiko is in and that it was Sakura and Joshua who sealed her family's power. The fire she mentioned was likely from the same battle that saw the Hinatsuki warehouse destroyed, Sakura reduced to a core and Joshua sealed. Anri befriending Shamiko before she awakened was probably not a coincidence. She intentionally got close to her in order to draw her blood and lift her own seal. She was waiting for Shamiko to get strong enough to do it. That "recipe" isn't a recipe it's a ruse to obtain her blood. Shamiko might end up conceptualizing the very weapon that Anri intends to use to fulfill her goal.

Edit: Actually, Shamiko's blood might not be enough as she's a demon and only has a mahou shoujo's core. Shion insisting to keep Momo and Mikan out of it makes more sense now.
QuintessenceOct 2, 2023 3:40 AM
Oct 2, 2023 11:44 AM
Jan 2017
Reply to Quintessence
I was expecting there to be word play with Anri's name like there was with Shion. I couldn't figure out why Ito-sensei named her Satanri or Satan Ri. But as soon as it was revealed that her family name was changed from Satan to Sata it sunk in. Anri is likely a play on the "Satan" of Zoroastrianism, Angra Mainyu or Ahriman. Her name is essentially Satan Ahri.

I have a very funny feeling that Anri is in the exact same situation that Shamiko is in and that it was Sakura and Joshua who sealed her family's power. The fire she mentioned was likely from the same battle that saw the Hinatsuki warehouse destroyed, Sakura reduced to a core and Joshua sealed. Anri befriending Shamiko before she awakened was probably not a coincidence. She intentionally got close to her in order to draw her blood and lift her own seal. She was waiting for Shamiko to get strong enough to do it. That "recipe" isn't a recipe it's a ruse to obtain her blood. Shamiko might end up conceptualizing the very weapon that Anri intends to use to fulfill her goal.

Edit: Actually, Shamiko's blood might not be enough as she's a demon and only has a mahou shoujo's core. Shion insisting to keep Momo and Mikan out of it makes more sense now.
@Quintessence It is speculated that Angra Mainyu and Ahura Mazda were the inspiration for the idea of dualism of good and evil in Judaism (and possibly even monoteistic nature of Judaism after the Persian period), and "satan", previously being a general term meaning "adversary" in the Hebrew Bible (like Philistines calling David "satan"), began being used as a descriptor for something resembling a Zoroastrian Deva, evil spirit. One direct borrow would be Asmodeus, a "Satan" whose name originates from Aeshma Deva, the demon of wrath in Zoroastrianism.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it would be very impressive if Ito-sensei deliberately combined aspects of Persian and Israelite religion in Anri's name knowing they were in contact and exchanging ideas after Cyrus's conquest of Babylon.
Oct 2, 2023 2:13 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to karton_realista
@Quintessence It is speculated that Angra Mainyu and Ahura Mazda were the inspiration for the idea of dualism of good and evil in Judaism (and possibly even monoteistic nature of Judaism after the Persian period), and "satan", previously being a general term meaning "adversary" in the Hebrew Bible (like Philistines calling David "satan"), began being used as a descriptor for something resembling a Zoroastrian Deva, evil spirit. One direct borrow would be Asmodeus, a "Satan" whose name originates from Aeshma Deva, the demon of wrath in Zoroastrianism.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it would be very impressive if Ito-sensei deliberately combined aspects of Persian and Israelite religion in Anri's name knowing they were in contact and exchanging ideas after Cyrus's conquest of Babylon.
@karton_realista ~is a 3rd year history major & religious studies minor with a deep interest in Zoroastrianism and has read the Zend Avesta~ This looks like mansplaining. . . I'm not even going to respond to this. . .
Oct 2, 2023 2:38 PM
Jan 2017
Reply to Quintessence
@karton_realista ~is a 3rd year history major & religious studies minor with a deep interest in Zoroastrianism and has read the Zend Avesta~ This looks like mansplaining. . . I'm not even going to respond to this. . .
@Quintessence I'm not a history major or in the humanities at all, I just was happy someone mentioned middle eastern religion, since I'm a bit obsessed with this topic :P
Sorry if you took this the wrong way, I wasn't trying to explain anything, just speculate

More topics from this board

Poll: » Machikado Mazoku Chapter 89 Discussion

mahoho236 - Feb 28

1 by TheMadnils »»
Mar 29, 11:06 PM

Poll: » Machikado Mazoku Chapter 86 Discussion

karton_realista - Sep 8, 2023

1 by luinthoron »»
Feb 28, 12:21 PM

» Hiatus again?

TheMadnils - Sep 17, 2023

3 by TheMadnils »»
Nov 2, 2023 4:44 AM

Poll: » Machikado Mazoku Chapter 85 Discussion

Atavistic - May 29, 2023

2 by luinthoron »»
Jun 20, 2023 2:59 AM

Poll: » Machikado Mazoku Chapter 84 Discussion

Atavistic - Apr 30, 2022

2 by Syureria »»
Nov 10, 2022 7:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.