Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 12, 2023 9:21 PM
Jul 2020
I've never seen any gundam and have only seen a few mecha shows. I wanna know if this a good introduction to the gundam franchise. 
I'm still gonna watch it regardless of if this is good or not, i just wanna know if there is more to gundam even after this or this is the best it has to offer
Apr 12, 2023 9:35 PM

Mar 2016
It's a different flavor of Gundam, but yes, it is a good start, mainly because it's a new timeline, and the anime itself is meant for newer fans.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Apr 12, 2023 9:35 PM
Dec 2020
this is the best gundam has to offer
Apr 12, 2023 10:14 PM
Mar 2022
This show is different from the other gundam shows, as it takes place in a school setting instead of a military setting like most of the series. If it sounds interesting I recommend watching it. Start with episode 0 first as it is the prologue.
Apr 12, 2023 10:33 PM
Oct 2019
not really I recommend the og that Crunchyroll got or the og trilogy movies to get the basic down. og got 43 episodes.
Apr 12, 2023 10:37 PM
Mar 2020
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

Sorry, but I dissagree. Yes this is really good but the UC (Universal century) though has its bad parts ((ex: end of Gundam Zeta), has great development, interesting characters, and complex plots.
Apr 12, 2023 11:24 PM
Sep 2020
Otakupervert890 said:
not really I recommend the og that Crunchyroll got or the og trilogy movies to get the basic down. og got 43 episodes.

Yeah don’t listen to this guy. It is absolutely a great place to start since it is new and has no tied to the other shows.
Apr 13, 2023 12:48 AM
Mar 2020
CrescentMoon_ said:
Otakupervert890 said:

Yeah don’t listen to this guy. It is absolutely a great place to start since it is new and has no tied to the other shows.

Apologies, but is there something wrong with original Gundam? Well besides ableism and failed attempts at not being misogynist. They do have great stories and well developed characters and narratives.
Apr 13, 2023 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
Any Alternative Universe, G-Witch included, is a good entry point. Go my buddy, and welcome in this mecha insanity we call Gundam
Apr 13, 2023 8:01 AM

Oct 2015
To OP:

There are 3 types of Gundam anime:

1) Universal Century. The main timeline of Gundam. This timeline has the strongest philosophical messages, narrative and character writing among all Gundam timelines but most people refused to get into it due to the intimidating amount of content. This is the best entry to get into Gundam but you might need someone to guide you through this timeline. If you are interested in this timeline, feel free to ask, I can guide you through this timeline.

2) Alternate Universe. These are Gundam anime that have their independent timelines. All of them are good starts as they are created to attract newer fans into Gundam.

3) Build series. There are 2 types of Gundam Build anime, both being extremely different from most Gundam anime. Build Fighters and Build Divers. Build Fighters is a sports genre type of Gundam anime. Build Divers is a virtual reality game.

Witch From Mercury is an Alternate Universe. Good start but not the best start. I tend to recommend people to start from UC if they have the time to watch through it. By the way, I have checked your MAL profile, you like redemption stories, which means you will enjoy Gundam 00. For your case, my advice is to choose either UC or 00 to get into Gundam. Witch From Mercury strays quite far away from the Gundam formula but it still contain some of original Gundam philosophical messages.
Apr 13, 2023 8:56 AM
Feb 2022
well you do you my guy
Apr 13, 2023 4:09 PM

Aug 2015
Unless you're someone who just really likes the school setting, then I would say no.

Best starting point is still the original in my opinion. You can watch the full show or the movie trilogy, both work just fine.
Controversial opinions
Apr 13, 2023 10:28 PM

Jul 2016
No, you should start with 0079.
Apr 14, 2023 4:32 PM

Mar 2017
Is it a great entry point for someone who is new to the mecha genre and hasn't seen Gundam before? Yes, absolutely. Just keep in mind that this show is not connected to any other Gundam franchise in any way. Not the lore, not the director, nothing. It's stand-alone and offers a unique viewing experience compared to others in the franchise. That being said, a lot of Gundam "fans" rather dislike it.
Apr 14, 2023 9:08 PM
Feb 2021
Rudysus_greyrat said:
I've never seen any gundam and have only seen a few mecha shows. I wanna know if this a good introduction to the gundam franchise. 
I'm still gonna watch it regardless of if this is good or not, i just wanna know if there is more to gundam even after this or this is the best it has to offer

It’s the worst installment
Apr 15, 2023 10:39 PM

Oct 2019
This is pretty good as a gateway gundam series. Helps that it is pretty digestible as well. If you find you like gundam after watching this you could move on to Iron Blooded Orphans.
Apr 16, 2023 7:39 PM
Mar 2021
Make sure sure to watch the prologue/episode 0 before starting the main show

It’s available on YouTube on the GundamInfo channel
Apr 18, 2023 11:28 AM
Mar 2023
It started out a little off, but yes, with what they’ve shown and the back plot building. This is going to be a great one.
Apr 21, 2023 1:11 PM
Jan 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
Apr 24, 2023 10:33 PM
Mar 2020
JetAway said:
emoweeb2005 said:

Sorry, but I dissagree. Yes this is really good but the UC (Universal century) though has its bad parts ((ex: end of Gundam Zeta), has great development, interesting characters, and complex plots.

The ending of Zeta was great

The ending of Zeta had Kamille get hit by a laser that gave him a mental disability. The scenes after that felt offensive to those who have said problems irl and that is why I didn’t like it. I like Gundam Zeta a lot I would have rated it at least a 9/10 but that dropped it to an 8 or less for me. I know it was made in the 80s but still felt very insensitive and it should not be excused.
Apr 25, 2023 5:19 AM
Mar 2020
JetAway said:
emoweeb2005 said:

The ending of Zeta had Kamille get hit by a laser that gave him a mental disability. The scenes after that felt offensive to those who have said problems irl and that is why I didn’t like it. I like Gundam Zeta a lot I would have rated it at least a 9/10 but that dropped it to an 8 or less for me. I know it was made in the 80s but still felt very insensitive and it should not be excused.

This is a first. No it's actually not insensitive. He got hit by a psychic attack which damaged his psyche and reverted him to a childlike state.

There is literally no commentary that is applied to what a childlike state is. on what grounds is it offensive

To me it didn’t seem like a child like state especially in the start of ZZ its almost like a lobotomy imo.
Jun 4, 2023 5:13 PM

Feb 2015
Gundam: Slice of Life/Moe version.

Oct 1, 2023 8:38 PM

Mar 2021
No. This is possibly the last Gundam series I would recommend to start with.
Dec 9, 2023 8:20 PM
Dec 2019
I wouldn't recommend it as a Gundam anime, but If you like School life and robots so It might work for you. Otherwise is better choose another one, like Gundam Wing or Gundam 00 if you don't haver the time or patience to watch the UC cronology
Dec 27, 2023 4:46 PM

Feb 2009
Start with the UC, Im finishing 0079 and the OG series so far has been epic. If not then go ahead and watch Wing, 00, or X which are great and entertaining. But I would not recommend this Mercury thing. I haven't watched it, but the trailer and looks of it turned me off, never had a problem like that with other Gundam shows tho.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2023

357 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Jun 5, 12:20 PM

» A question

Shubhamb1996 - May 24

6 by AngelaWolter »»
Jun 3, 11:05 AM

» Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise Reaches Sales Record of 145.7 Billion Yen in 2024 Fiscal Year

deg - May 12

8 by Zedlin »»
May 13, 11:03 AM

» wait a second... they're GAY????

Nyron - Feb 9

12 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 17, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2022

104 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 13, 3:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.