Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 8, 2023 11:31 PM
Jan 2020
I really don't get it. It's an incredible story, unique and great art, and well written. How is the score so much lower than generic trash?

It feels like it got bombed, which is sad because the show is so good.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 8, 2023 11:43 PM
Aug 2011
HereForTheRobots said:
I really don't get it. It's an incredible story, unique and great art, and well written. How is the score so much lower than generic trash?

i like the story and everything too! i think some people are unimpressed with the stills and may think it cheapens the experience of the anime
Mar 8, 2023 11:45 PM

Jan 2017
HereForTheRobots said:
unique and great art

Peoples don't like it : https://myanimelist.net/anime/43760/Hikari_no_Ou/reviews?spoiler=on&sort=mostvoted
Aside from that , there is all of those who came for Mamoru Oshii , but felt greatly disappointed.

There is also the fact that the Main Score displayed on the entry page is weighted , so it takes into account the number of members that rated it.
With only 3576 members , the Score is brought down during the calculation. (https://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime)

HereForTheRobots said:
How is the score so much lower than generic trash?

Peoples like generic trash. (But not too much)
Do not take some random scores on internet seriously...
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Mar 9, 2023 1:23 AM
Aug 2018
I don't like it because the pacing is terrible, there's an awkward way that I can't really describe but everything is slow in this show. Like I have to watch it at 1.25x speed to feel like I I'm watching it normally. The stops between sentences take waaay too long. And what makes it even worse the animation is awful and the characters are not interesting at all.

It bums me out, cause there's clearly good worldbuilding and thought put into that, there was good potential for a good story there if only it were adapted properly. And saying people don't like it because its different is such a narrow minded view.

I am sick of generic anime so I was hoping for something new here, and I definitely got something new. But between eating old samey bread and eating brand new bread that tastes like shit I'd rather eat the generic day old bread
Mar 9, 2023 4:28 AM

Sep 2020
Yeah I don't get it at all.
The show has it's flaws, but it's better than 90% of the generic trash shounens we get every season
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Mar 9, 2023 5:19 AM
Jul 2022
I like the story too, but the animation is not good. They spend a great deal of airtime just showing character names or still art frames. In that sense, it doesn’t add much to the source material, and it’s probably better to just read the source
Mar 9, 2023 6:58 AM
May 2021
people are displeased with the animation, i love the art style but at times it feels like the studio bit off more than they can chew when animating the art style, that being said i definitely agree and think it deserves to be at least a 7.25+ but at the end of the day who cares, im gonna enjoy it no matter what people on mal rate it
Mar 9, 2023 7:06 AM

May 2022
HereForTheRobots said:

I think this show is excellent and one I look forward to each week. But I don’t pay attention to the scores.
Mar 9, 2023 7:06 AM
Mar 2023
DonniedaCultured said:
but at the end of the day who cares

The OP cares obviously...
Mar 9, 2023 7:12 AM
Dec 2020
The concept is unique and the animation reminds me of Shinsekai yori. I think it'll be the hidden gem of this season.
Mar 9, 2023 5:58 PM
Jun 2022
People have different values. I myself love most everything about this show; the one problem I have is with some of its shaky world building.

Ultimately, the producers took risks. They did things that were unexpected and created something unique. According the (admittedly flawed, and ultimately unimportant) MAL rating system their risks didn’t pay off. But, I’d rather have an anime that is more experimental in nature than another cheap isekai clone
Mar 10, 2023 12:44 PM
Jul 2021
DEVlLofParadis said:
The concept is unique and the animation reminds me of Shinsekai yori. I think it'll be the hidden gem of this season.

I agree 100%!! Very interesting story and pacing.
Mar 10, 2023 11:43 PM

Jan 2015
No, I think this show sucks. I think this is a pretty common sentiment judging from other places I've seen discussion about it.
Mar 11, 2023 8:07 AM

Jun 2015
Most likelt, they even bothered putting up an eps 9 post. When I finish watch Ill do it
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Mar 11, 2023 9:51 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules: 2.e Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
e. MAL community data
e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.
You may also use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime. MAL has implemented a new system to take care of boosting/downvoting accounts automatically. You can read more about it here. You do not have to worry about the score being influenced by them. If it is influenced, it will be fixed after a few days.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do people really think the animation quality is bad? ( 1 2 )

EmmyMoomin - Feb 7, 2023

73 by Serafos »»
May 22, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Hikari no Ou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jan 21, 2023

67 by LeAnToKi »»
May 5, 11:39 AM

» trivial question about the title name pronunciation

Link___ - Jan 24, 2023

10 by haku_mccvi »»
Apr 14, 7:42 PM

Poll: » The state of the fantasy genre in anime in the 2010s/20s

EmmyMoomin - Mar 18, 2023

8 by 0063873192871 »»
Apr 1, 4:33 AM

» For a world where fire was once worshipped; now was declared an enemy

sbyrstall2 - Mar 19, 2023

4 by 0063873192871 »»
Apr 1, 4:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.