Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 24, 2023 11:00 AM
Oct 2017
I've had enough of this damn battle shounen genre! It's like every anime that comes out these days is just another generic battle shounen show, and it's getting old real fast.

First of all, let's talk about the main characters. They're always dumb, flat, hot-headed, angsty, or overly-determined boys who are always looking for a fight. Like, seriously? That's the best you can come up with? It's like the creators are just taking the easy way out and not putting in any effort to come up with unique and interesting characters. And don't even get me started on the power scaling, it's like these shows are just pandering to the lowest common denominator. It's just so lazy and unoriginal.

And let's not forget about the storylines, they're all the same! Fighting for justice, fighting for revenge, fighting the evil, fighting for a cause, it's all the same damn thing! And don't even try to tell me that there are different types of stories, because they're all just rehashing the same old formula. It's like the creators are too lazy to come up with new and fresh ideas, and they're just relying on the same old trope to make money.

..etc etc whatever you wrote there could be rehashed for every genre, man.
Let us enjoy our isekai and shut up
DijeJan 24, 2023 11:12 AM
Jan 24, 2023 11:24 AM

Oct 2022
Totally agree, I've watched a few lately and they're exactly as you've stated. Honestly, they're always op, now I don't mind a good op character but when it feels earnt or naturally apart of who they are. When you have characters that get op skills without any real explanation it gets silly real quick
Jan 24, 2023 12:17 PM

Nov 2008
Dije said:
I've had enough of this damn battle shounen genre! It's like every anime that comes out these days is just another generic battle shounen show, and it's getting old real fast.

First of all, let's talk about the main characters. They're always dumb, flat, hot-headed, angsty, or overly-determined boys who are always looking for a fight. Like, seriously? That's the best you can come up with? It's like the creators are just taking the easy way out and not putting in any effort to come up with unique and interesting characters. And don't even get me started on the power scaling, it's like these shows are just pandering to the lowest common denominator. It's just so lazy and unoriginal.

And let's not forget about the storylines, they're all the same! Fighting for justice, fighting for revenge, fighting the evil, fighting for a cause, it's all the same damn thing! And don't even try to tell me that there are different types of stories, because they're all just rehashing the same old formula. It's like the creators are too lazy to come up with new and fresh ideas, and they're just relying on the same old trope to make money.

Shounen was founded on the power of friendship and other morals since the 50's, it's in almost all of them and don't make them cookie cutter.  It's about reliability and sometimes teaching morals.  Isekai doesn't have these expectations and thus should try to be orginal if possible.

Jan 24, 2023 1:12 PM
Oct 2017
Hoppy said:
Dije said:

Shounen was founded on the power of friendship and other morals since the 50's, it's in almost all of them and don't make them cookie cutter.  It's about reliability and sometimes teaching morals.  Isekai doesn't have these expectations and thus should try to be orginal if possible.
teaching power of friendship and teaching morals is plain boring, I'm not a kid anymore I don't need lessons. Believe me just because those shows teach a moral doesn't make their copy-paste better. Also, if you really want to talk about how useful tropes are as a point of value, I can tell you, at least the isekai help you fantasize a little outside the boredom of the daily grind and crap that is the adult life, by making you feel important for 20 minutes (the OP character of the story).
DijeJan 24, 2023 1:23 PM
Jan 24, 2023 1:16 PM

May 2013
Why do you care? I mean there 188 anime airing this season according to MAL. Surely you can find there lots of anime which aren't isekai, right? Personal I love isekai. Isekai will not ever die because it is as old tale as our humanity's writing skill if no older. People has always dreamed to be someone else or end up in somewhere else. People has always dreamed to be able to live in faraway lands. Early pioneers for American expeditions were like isekaied people and they were willingly doing it.

As I said I love isekai and I want to see more of it but I agree too that this mediocre generic overpowered harem isekai male power fantasies are getting tiring. Like in any genre 98% usually are trash. There are always some gems too which are really really good. Gems are what we all want while we wait for them we watch trash. Personally I think this season has two unique isekais Saving 80,000 Gold where MC can move between worlds. That is very rare in isekai. Other one is of course season's top anime Magical Revolution which itself is totally different than what isekai watchers has used to see. Also it is totally different from villainess genre too.

Isekai is no different to any other major theme like harem or sport, magical girl etc. Those all have tropes and 98% are shit.

And have you noticed that almost any isekai which has female MC is superior to these generic male isekais? Btw. have you seen where isekai is going?  Villainess isekai/reincarnated flood is just starting and that is basically as big as generic overpowered harem isekai male power fantasies isekai genre. These days about 50% of isekai manga are villainess stories. Just check couple of first pages of Anime-Planets manga list with isekai tag and you that will be future for isekai too.
Jan 26, 2023 7:50 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread locked for breaking rule 2 of our Anime Discussion Rules

2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:

d. personal storytelling, narration, ranting, and/or blog-style posts
e.g. Rate my list/favorites, Post your ___ and I'll rate it, review and/or rant texts about an anime, etc.
These topics only encourage a one-way discussion where members are commenting on the poster's idea (or vice versa).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» HELP ME FIND THIS ANIME (please)

sussyamongus - Yesterday

4 by Orenjion »»
2 minutes ago

» One Piece, Naruto and Bleach Quiz(big 3 Quiz)

Henrique-Senpai - 7 hours ago

11 by kusairo »»
3 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - Jun 2

45 by Maou_heika »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

72 by Maou_heika »»
9 minutes ago

» Do anime girls like this bite?

LenRea - 40 minutes ago

3 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.