Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Oct 30, 2022 4:19 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
borderliner said:
I'm impressed by the love this show is getting in the forum comments, that doesn't seem to be reflected in the MAL rating though, two different sets of watchers I guess.

I found the first episode to be just okay.

I'd argue that fans of the OG material are more inclined to comment in the discussion threads, more die-hard.
Oct 30, 2022 6:18 AM

Sep 2018
Smudy said:
borderliner said:
I'm impressed by the love this show is getting in the forum comments, that doesn't seem to be reflected in the MAL rating though, two different sets of watchers I guess.

I'd argue that fans of the OG material are more inclined to comment in the discussion threads, more die-hard.

For sure, I agree that it's the show's fans that mainly comment, it just seems that in this case the balance is tilted further towards the fans.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Oct 30, 2022 10:04 AM

May 2015
it gonna be tough to surpass the original anime tbh
Oct 30, 2022 12:10 PM

Jan 2018
Smudy said:
borderliner said:

Agreed, This anime is a cult classic to many who have been watching anime for decades.
UMLA said:
it gonna be tough to surpass the original anime tbh
Yeah the OG anime is in a category of its own. Its literally a cult classic to long time anime fans.
Nov 2, 2022 5:20 AM

Jan 2020
this is an amazing adaption with great quality, color palettes, voice acting... humor..
I have never seen the original work but I like it so far, I'll probably continue to watch it
Nov 2, 2022 5:19 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
borderliner said:
Smudy said:

For sure, I agree that it's the show's fans that mainly comment, it just seems that in this case the balance is tilted further towards the fans.

There's gonna be a lot of filtering out those who hate the screaming and on-purpose annoying characters early on as well so big majority will be people that enjoy the series.
Nov 4, 2022 6:54 AM

Aug 2021
Lum you are still as beautiful as the last time I saw you.
Nov 4, 2022 8:31 PM

Oct 2020
Accept your fate bro.
Nov 5, 2022 12:47 AM
Jul 2017
Ataru was unlucky from the day he was born.
Ataru's dad has it tough...
Cherry is borderline killer lol
Nov 6, 2022 2:36 AM

Nov 2020
bcasey25raptor said:
Disappointment they censored scenes in this tbh, will still watch but original much better.

what is censored ?

Nov 10, 2022 4:54 PM
Nov 2022
Wrote off the bouette and painted on her knees. This is a bad anime
Nov 11, 2022 6:48 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Tsunamii_ said:
bcasey25raptor said:
Disappointment they censored scenes in this tbh, will still watch but original much better.

what is censored ?

I'd bet people were excited for Lum's nips but people should know better by now that uncensored won't happen easily nowadays.
Nov 13, 2022 5:49 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
People seriously need to chill about a couple instances of bare nipples. The original manga was published when that was both acceptable and encouraged in shounen magazines to bring in the horny audience and hope they stick around. These days authors (and, in most cases, editors) care more about stylistic integrity and wouldn't bother putting in something they didn't consider necessary just for a few extra views. In other words, this may not be particularly faithful to the choices Takahashi actually made back in the day, but there's little doubt it's true to what she would've done today. Urusei Yatsura's comedy isn't really built on erotic titillation; hiding the nipples changed exactly nothing for the scene in question.
Nov 13, 2022 9:16 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
moozooh said:
People seriously need to chill about a couple instances of bare nipples. The original manga was published when that was both acceptable and encouraged in shounen magazines to bring in the horny audience and hope they stick around. These days authors (and, in most cases, editors) care more about stylistic integrity and wouldn't bother putting in something they didn't consider necessary just for a few extra views. In other words, this may not be particularly faithful to the choices Takahashi actually made back in the day, but there's little doubt it's true to what she would've done today. Urusei Yatsura's comedy isn't really built on erotic titillation; hiding the nipples changed exactly nothing for the scene in question.

You underestimate the amount of people who are hellbent on seeing nudity, it's basically primal instincts kicking in, reason goes out of the window.
Nov 13, 2022 12:33 PM

Apr 2012
Still can't believe David Production is making this, I associate them with JoJo usually. The art style is so cutesey as well
Nov 13, 2022 12:51 PM
Jul 2014
I'm probably in the minority here, but personally the first episode didn't hit it for me at all. The jokes were clearly written 40 years ago, the whole "romance" triangle is stupid and even Lum (who is obviously the reason this anime has ever been relevant) is annoying as hell.

I really hope at least the jokes improve, because at least the atmosphere is really nice and I want this to be an anime I enjoy
Nov 13, 2022 12:51 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
ShigumaH said:
Still can't believe David Production is making this, I associate them with JoJo usually. The art style is so cutesey as well

Well, that's because Urusei Yatsura is made by majority of JoJo staff, they were likely putting most of their work into this project rather than the latest JoJo.
Nov 13, 2022 1:02 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Martinch said:
I really hope at least the jokes improve, because at least the atmosphere is really nice and I want this to be an anime I enjoy

I was worried about it as well, but they certainly have improved. Episodes 3 and onward were genuinely enjoyable.
Nov 13, 2022 1:12 PM
Aug 2015
so is this going to diverge from the original?
Nov 13, 2022 1:14 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
2x9 said:

It's adapting more closely to the source material whereas the OG actually diverged from it quite a bit. Also there's shuffling around chapters in this entry to show earlier than the OG.
Sep 2018
This was a lot like the original one, I'm glad they didn't destroy one of my fav older shows!
Sep 2020
lum is so cute I would die for lum
Nov 13, 2022 1:15 PM

Apr 2012
Smudy said:
2x9 said:

It's adapting more closely to the source material whereas the OG actually diverged from it quite a bit. Also there's shuffling around chapters in this entry to show earlier than the OG.

Wait so the original anime is actually really different from the source material? In what way?
Nov 13, 2022 1:18 PM

Sep 2015
lum is adorable makes me wanna watch the og
Nov 13, 2022 1:20 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
ShiroKuro_ said:
This was a lot like the original one, I'm glad they didn't destroy one of my fav older shows!

Happy to hear that is the case, maybe this adaptation is going pretty good all things considered!
Nov 15, 2022 9:52 PM
Jul 2018
I've watched about 30-40 episodes from the original 80s series... I didn't think much of it, but I viewed it as a time capsule of sorts, of Japan back in the day. A relic of the past. I never thought it was the best show, but I appreciated it for what it was. Some of the wacky humor didn't land for me -- it was really goofy/zany at times, and clearly intended for a much younger demographic; I also felt like the limited animation impeded any potential the show had. Not that I blame the 80s version - given the time period and where the animation industry was. There was a charm to it, and I can see why it was a popular series; but it ultimately felt like a waste of time watching it any further.

A year or two has gone by, and since then, a 2022 version has poofed into existence. Really interesting. I figured I just had to check into the reincarnation.

I gotta say, I'm really not disappointed. It's fascinating seeing an 80s show completely reborn in 2022, decades and decades later. I personally like the art style and character design, the color scheme, the backdrops/backgrounds, the animation, the pacing, the voice acting, the music, the aesthetic, almost everything.

I don't know how the rest of the episodes will pan out. But this first episode was seriously stunning. The animation and effects and composition of every shot -- all stunning. I love all the graphic designs and visuals and extra little details. They took the limited animation aspect of the 80s version and did the exact opposite -- seems like they worked tirelessly to add constant motion/movement to the show.

I'm sure the plot won't be anything too different from the original... episodic rather than sequential, with no overarching storyline. I'm sure the show will continue to be pure wackiness and lack progression. That's what the franchise is after all. While this is never a facet I personally enjoyed -- and while I kind of fault the 80s version for it -- I can't hold the 2022 version to the same standards, plot-wise, since it mainly serves as an adaptation of what has already been established. ... So going forward, I won't expect anything truly gripping or heart-wrenching, plot-wise. I'm sure this show will primarily consist of slapstick humor, with nothing deeper.
It was the same for 1980s version, but the 2022 version seems to at least make up for this with eye candy visuals and captivating art.

(Not that slapstick humor is a "fault"... I know that's the whole point of this show, and that there's an intended demographic. My whole point is that the genre is not my personal cup of tea, but I enjoyed Episode 1 of the 2022 version nonetheless due to the visuals.)

Did I mention this show was aesthetic AF??
Lum's hair is so cool. I feel like it's a nod to the city pop motifs from the 1980s. (Which the original series mostly, ironically, lacks.)
removed-userNov 15, 2022 9:56 PM
Nov 16, 2022 3:00 AM
Feb 2021
AlexanderHD said:
Some of the wacky humor didn't land for me -- it was really goofy/zany at times, and clearly intended for a much younger demographic;

I don't quite agree. Like The Simpsons, UY was intended for the whole family, for young audiences as well as older students and parents who understood some of the more satirical aspects (think of the shortages of toilet paper in ep. 1) and the many references the show had.

I also felt like the limited animation impeded any potential the show had. Not that I blame the 80s version - given the time period and where the animation industry was. There was a charm to it, and I can see why it was a popular series; but it ultimately felt like a waste of time watching it any further.

[...]

I don't know how the rest of the episodes will pan out. But this first episode was seriously stunning. The animation and effects and composition of every shot -- all stunning. I love all the graphic designs and visuals and extra little details. They took the limited animation aspect of the 80s version and did the exact opposite -- seems like they worked tirelessly to add constant motion/movement to the show.

Except episode 1 of the new show, which had some excellent cuts (like Ataru running towards Lum in the onigokko contest), the actual animation of the reboot is rather conservative and more limited than the one in the original show. Sure, the reboot often looks pretty thanks to the modern character designs, the color scheme, effects imitating manga like the thick speedlines or soundwords, but the animation itself is often more limited than that of many episodes of the original. I wish there were more cuts in the reboot like those done by master animator Masahiko Yamashita who used "limited animation" to create interesting and fun dynamism :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkYqr6cuabQ

Another great animator working on the og show was Motosuke Takahashi. Like for Yamashita, I clearly remembered some of his cuts on UY from the time I saw the series for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSOjvlT5IBE
Swiss_BohemianNov 16, 2022 3:06 AM
Nov 18, 2022 5:20 AM

Dec 2018
i'm not really a fan of comedy revolving around misunderstandings and awkward situations so i don't think i'm going to like this show at all.
Nov 22, 2022 2:19 PM

Jan 2018
the way this shit was so over the top had me dying, being fast paced added to the randomness tbh, loved it
Nov 25, 2022 12:47 PM

Jul 2022
Now this the typa comedy I wanted to see today! Finally started watching it, it has ben on my ptw for a while.
Honestly, it's just cute and funny, Japanese humour I enjoy, and I love how they kept a lot of those sweet little 80s details and things in this reboot. You can imagine my suprise (and delight) when I saw the type of phone they were using lol. Preserved the 80s style and humour, but advanced the whole show with 2022 tech and possibilities; Love it!
Dec 2, 2022 2:03 AM
Dec 2020
ik its an old anime thats been revamped but like i rlly dont like the main character lol
Dec 6, 2022 10:14 AM
Jan 2017
Never seen anything Urusei Yatsura related before, and I waited a good Month or so before checking it. In order have a good binge watch and got to say. Feels highly rushed first episode. As if the makers didn't think it would hold the viewers' attention. So, they rapid fired the character introductions. Which is odd, as this is a famous old series. That's still popular till this day and was one of the hipped anime this season. Feels like the first half would have been fine for a whole episode. Hope it doesn't kill my interest in this. As it looks like I could like this one.
Dec 22, 2022 3:25 PM

Jun 2016
I just want to know what Rumiko Takahashi was smoking when she wrote this.
Dec 23, 2022 12:09 PM
Oct 2022
DiangeloKun18 said:
I just want to know what Rumiko Takahashi was smoking when she wrote this.
And it was 1978 too... way ahead of everybody else.
Dec 23, 2022 9:44 PM

Aug 2021
What a surprise that they have kept the classic design of the characters and, of course, adapted to modernity. Lum's colorful hair kills me...
Jan 11, 2023 7:06 PM
Jan 2016
best show ever yaasss
Jan 26, 2023 1:53 PM
Jan 2023
At least, the reviews here aren't as one-sided as in Reddit.
So my take on it; it was OK, but not much more, I don't really think the reboot was necessary, as the original did not have, contrary to common tropes, a lot of filler (33 episodes out of 195 is not a lot, it's not even 20% of the total).
There were four instances where there were nipples in the anime (episodes 1A, 9A, 12 -that one in a split second scene-, and 115) so I don't think it was as recurrent as some people would believe.
Part of the problem for is, the pace is too rushed, the references are gone, and the wacky atmosphere is gone as well.
Feb 5, 2023 6:31 PM
Apr 2021
it was good, I missed the raining oil though
Mar 10, 2023 6:36 PM
Jul 2018
The alien race has the most unique ways to invade lol
Mar 11, 2023 5:25 AM

Apr 2014
I guess while SHAFT isnt animating any more Monogatari, Kamiya-san had to find another place to scream "Shinobu"
Jun 3, 2023 12:46 PM

Nov 2017
That was a hell of an intro..... better than the manga. The quality was feet deep on this one. I wonder if they can keep this up? Boy did I pick the wrong horse, should've picked this up when it debuted. Total pop sensation Lum right nw. 
Oct 30, 2023 6:00 AM
Jun 2023
i like the humor as of right now the mc is a funny pervert and has a good voice actor. the music is also good
Nov 9, 2023 4:40 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Lmao what is going on XD

This lucky mf. Alien girl is 10/10 with superpowers
Nov 16, 2023 2:13 AM
Jun 2020
Great art & colours damm the anime looks astronomical
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2023

68 by Kiikani »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

142 by 3rez »»
Apr 26, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2022

154 by red1130 »»
Apr 17, 9:51 AM

» Does this get better or the overall feel of the series can be sensed in it's first episodes?

BiobulletM - Mar 12

7 by 0451 »»
Apr 13, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

52 by adaminop »»
Apr 5, 9:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.