Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 3, 2022 4:54 AM

Jul 2021
Why do the characters use the word ,,kedo” so much? It’s basically in every second sentence. As far as I’m aware it means ,,but” although of course please correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe I didn’t notice before, but as I’m watching now it really interested me. Is it just like the anime’s thing or does it have a deeper meaning? Did they use it so much in Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari as well? Not that it probably matters much but it just really sparked my interest!
pastuchAug 3, 2022 5:05 AM
Aug 3, 2022 5:04 AM
Jul 2022
I don't think there's any special significance for the word itself, but I think it's just a word/particle that comes up a lot in casual speech.

I don't speak Japanese lol so I maybe totally wrong, but it doesn't seem to have special significance.
Aug 3, 2022 5:09 AM
Jun 2021
That's probably because you don't understand most of what they are saying, so you notice the things that you understand more. Also it is generelly a word that is often used in japanese, not just in Monogatari.
Aug 3, 2022 5:10 AM

Jul 2021
Well I only can distinguish some particular words so I'm nowhere near to speaking Japanese lol, but I just didn't notice this ,,kedo" thing in any other show. Maybe you're right though!
Aug 3, 2022 5:10 AM

Nov 2021
pastuch said:
Why do the characters use the word ,,kedo” so much? It’s basically in every second sentence. As far as I’m aware it means ,,but” although of course please correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe I didn’t notice before, but as I’m watching now it really interested me. Is it just like the anime’s thing or does it have a deeper meaning? Did they use it so much in Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari as well? Not that it probably matters much but it just really sparked my interest!

It's just a different way to say “demo”. It can be used at the beginning, middle or last in a sentence. When we want to say something different from or opposite to what the last sentence says, this “kedo” is used, and as you already know, it's "but" in english.
Just Nisio Sensei using word play, nothing special in Context to story.

(Desktop mode) ⬇️

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment
Aug 3, 2022 5:11 AM

Jul 2021
itsrj20 said:
pastuch said:

It just a different way to say “demo”. It can used at the beginning, middle or last in a sentence. When we want to say something different from or opposite to what the last sentence says, this “kedo” is used, and as you already know, it's "but" in english.
Just Nisio Sensei using word play, nothing special in Context to story.

Oh that's understandable. Thank you very much!
Aug 3, 2022 6:58 AM
Aug 2020
pastuch said:

You think that because in Japanese "kedo" mean but, however we can also use this word as a suffix of another word. For exemple "Shiranai" means "I don't know" but we can put kedo at the end "shiranaikedo" which means "I don't know but". This but in Japanese is different from the English one because we don't always need to continue our sentence. So we can use this word in many different way, it can also mean like "man" in English like "I don't know man", or "obviously" like " I obviously don't know".... But yeah it's really complicated to explain, sorry if it's still not clear
Aug 3, 2022 7:40 AM

Jul 2021
Akiradiarra said:
pastuch said:

You think that because in Japanese "kedo" mean but, however we can also use this word as a suffix of another word. For exemple "Shiranai" means "I don't know" but we can put kedo at the end "shiranaikedo" which means "I don't know but". This but in Japanese is different from the English one because we don't always need to continue our sentence. So we can use this word in many different way, it can also mean like "man" in English like "I don't know man", or "obviously" like " I obviously don't know".... But yeah it's really complicated to explain, sorry if it's still not clear

Oh it's actually a very clear explanation! That's great to know. Thank you very much! :)
Aug 3, 2022 11:32 PM
Jun 2012
I speak japanese and i don't hear it that often, so it's really because you are starting to learn and pick up some words randomly. When i started to watch anime 15-16 years ago for me it was words like 'kaze' 'suki' 'ai', and the 'no' by itself was something i figured out soon. So if you pick up a word like 'kedo' (which could also be 'dakedo' or 'desukedo' depending on the sentence), well it's original haha
Aug 4, 2022 2:29 AM

Jul 2021
A1anne said:
I speak japanese and i don't hear it that often, so it's really because you are starting to learn and pick up some words randomly. When i started to watch anime 15-16 years ago for me it was words like 'kaze' 'suki' 'ai', and the 'no' by itself was something i figured out soon. So if you pick up a word like 'kedo' (which could also be 'dakedo' or 'desukedo' depending on the sentence), well it's original haha

Yeah that's actually really really possible. I guess it's just a language newbie thing haha
Aug 5, 2022 9:02 AM
Sep 2021
I don’t really have anything to add, just thought this was such a wholesome educational thread n wanted to be apart of it🥹
Aug 5, 2022 9:20 AM

Jul 2021
manfrEId_890 said:
I don’t really have anything to add, just thought this was such a wholesome educational thread n wanted to be apart of it🥹

Haha it acutally was quite wholesome. Have a nice day!
Sep 25, 2022 4:06 PM

Apr 2012
'Kedo' is actually a little wider in its usability than 'but', it can also function as a sort of 'and'. And it benefits from the thing where even a full half of a sentence can often by dropped in Japanese if it doesn't seem necessary to complete it.
Sep 26, 2022 5:48 AM

Jul 2021
logopolis said:
'Kedo' is actually a little wider in its usability than 'but', it can also function as a sort of 'and'. And it benefits from the thing where even a full half of a sentence can often by dropped in Japanese if it doesn't seem necessary to complete it.
Oh that's good to know! Thanks :)
Nov 9, 2022 1:27 PM

Aug 2020
As it was already mentioned by the Kazuma guy, it is a worldplay with a particle. Novelists do this all the time, since they use words more often than mangakas.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

421 by MysteriousFriend »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

248 by Benkei13 »»
Sep 22, 12:38 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 3, 2013

415 by JoaoPedru »»
Sep 20, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2013

218 by 0451 »»
Sep 15, 10:05 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

171 by YeetYoloLol »»
Sep 4, 12:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.