Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 30, 2022 3:01 AM

Sep 2018
Instead of just relentlessly and endlessly baiting us with these yuri undertones? Yes it's hot, and yes I like seeing it, but I want MORE. Unfortunately most baiting anime never go further than that. Aquatope was too recent, I don't want another disappointment so soon.
Jun 30, 2022 3:39 AM

Apr 2012
To begin with, Aquatope has never been yuri bait, and some people's desire to comfort themselves with this wishful thinking will not make their expectations any more justified. Secondly, I wouldn't even call "yuri subtext" in BW baiting, since that's literally a planned abuse of gay bravado. If you close your eyes to Aoi's akogare, pretty much the entire yuri element in the show is gay-jokes of the level of "Huh? Are you in love with her?".

And stop talking about balls in such matters, in the street 2022, it was never a question of courage. I think western audiences should finally accept that the Japanese love intrigue and the ability to think out things more than any actual yuri or BL content and that not any show that has yuri content in one way or another is going to become lesbian love story.
RobertBobertJun 30, 2022 4:07 AM
Jun 30, 2022 3:48 AM
Sep 2021
They're either a couple or it's a cynical marketing ploy; no middle ground or nuance allowed!
Jun 30, 2022 3:52 AM

May 2009
Yeah, just like gundam went for yaoi.
Jun 30, 2022 4:01 AM

Apr 2012
bastek66 said:
Yeah, just like gundam went for yaoi.

You reminded me of the infamous provocation when imageboard trolls fabricated an interview with the director of Gundam 00, where they attributed to him the phrase that fujoshi supposedly "make any mediocre shit a big hit if it has enough BL baiting" and put it on tumblr. This becomes doubly ironic considering Sunrise's promotional methods for LL in the future.

But if, without jokes, as I said, it's time for the Western audience to understand that some things are originally intended to motivate the audience, and not the intention to develop some plot theme or have a special meaning in general.
RobertBobertJun 30, 2022 4:29 AM
Jun 30, 2022 4:09 AM

Aug 2021
if the show goes yuri and focuses more on the mafia underground golf itll be a tenner
but honestly, i dont think theyll do it
itll be more generic tournament arcs and bait - and the show will be just good

characters like vipere and much more interesting than these stuck up school girls and coaches
also the fact that they can cheat, since its underground golf and mafia opens more possibilities to catch eve off guard
also higher stakes like, we kill u if u lose or something
and since the mafias super rich, there can be more interesting courses too
theres so much untapped potential with the illegal golf thing
elgatosaikaJun 30, 2022 4:17 AM
Jun 30, 2022 4:18 AM

Apr 2012
weganizm said:
if the show goes yuri and focuses more on the mafia underground golf itll be a tenner
but honestly, i dont think theyll do it
itll be more generic tournament arcs and bait - and the show will be just good

I can predict it will get more gay bravado and homoerotic friendship moments to end up with something like a typical moe super friendship moment to motivate the target audience to create fan art and doujinshi on dedicated resources. Whereas Western fans will traditionally argue about the subtext and how the characters are obviously gay/just sexualized friends. Non-ecchi all-female shows regularly follow this route, but western shippers continue to expect actual canon and some revelation from such anime.

P.S. Also, it's kind of funny, but while we're debating whether this is going to be actual yuri or not, the most popular review of the first season is already trying to convince the audience that this is a "hybrid of sport and romance."
RobertBobertJun 30, 2022 4:58 AM
Jun 30, 2022 5:19 AM
Jul 2018
since when has the bait ever been, “oh lmao I’ll kiss you on the mouth”?
Jun 30, 2022 5:21 AM

Apr 2012
all_marbles_lost said:

If you are talking about the prologue to the last episode, then she kissed her on the cheeks and even directly said that it was a friendly kiss.
Jun 30, 2022 5:33 AM
Jul 2018
nah but okay, even if it doesn’t go “full yuri”, what are you gonna do, cry? these characters are 14 and I doubt this’ll be one of those things where we get to see them age up over several years (given that the Kimishima family’s plan for Aoi is for her to be the youngest pro), so there’s nothing wrong with “hoping for the future” and patronizing some talented fan creators if you’re that desperate.

secondly, I’m honestly more interested in seeing if Eve’s “I don’t like you or dislike you” thing is ever going to evolve into something, even if it’s along the lines of acknowledging basic respect. it’s clear she’s got heaps of baggage that she’s not willing to address and tbh even if we get some basic human vulnerability, that’ll be a satisfying-enough progression.

given how young these characters are and how they’ve constantly got bigger fish to fry, I don’t really see how even a “super friendship <3” finale would be a bad thing.

also bruh I saw someone talking about aquatope?imagine comparing a slice of life glorified nature documentary to yugioh with golf. the dynamics between the leads aren’t even remotely similar
Jun 30, 2022 5:34 AM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
all_marbles_lost said:

If you are talking about the prologue to the last episode, then she kissed her on the cheeks and even directly said that it was a friendly kiss.

I meant this sarcastically to encompass literally Everything Else that this show has been putting forth as bait that I’d consider astronomically more blatant than anything I’ve ever seen.
Jun 30, 2022 5:43 AM

Apr 2012
all_marbles_lost said:
nah but okay, even if it doesn’t go “full yuri”, what are you gonna do, cry? these characters are 14 and I doubt this’ll be one of those things where we get to see Ben age up over several years (given that the Kimishima family’s plan for Aoi is for her to be the youngest pro), so there’s nothing wrong with “hoping for the future” and patronizing some talented fan creators if you’re that desperate.

secondly, I’m honestly more interested in seeing if Eve’s “I don’t like you or dislike you” thing is ever going to evolve into something, even if it’s along the lines of acknowledging basic respect. it’s clear she’s got heaps of baggage that she’s not willing to address and tbh even if we get some basic human vulnerability, that’ll be a satisfying-enough progression.

given how young these characters are and how they’ve constantly got bigger fish to fry, I don’t really see how even a “super friendship <3” finale would be a bad thing.

also bruh I saw someone talking about aquatope?imagine comparing a slice of life glorified nature documentary to yugioh with golf. the dynamics between the leads aren’t even remotely similar

They compare it to Aquatope because when it became clear that the leads weren't going to be lesbians, the shippers began to convince themselves that the writers were trying to bait them in order to rationalize their complaints.

Oh, you're trying to dig too deep, although obviously age isn't an issue, especially for yuri. On the contrary, anime is more likely to portray lesbian schoolgirls than adult women.

I think this can only get a more or less explicit yuri ending if the authors are going to make a proper end to the story. It's not an ecchi show, so it's clearly not going down the yuri route just for fanservice. If they don't have plans to make the anime something more than an advertisement for a multimedia franchise, then it will most likely freeze on even more uncertainty than the Jet Girls.

Either way, they'll be at least BFF at the end anyway, I think that's obvious.

Jun 30, 2022 5:45 AM

Apr 2012
all_marbles_lost said:
RobertBobert said:

I meant this sarcastically to encompass literally Everything Else that this show has been putting forth as bait that I’d consider astronomically more blatant than anything I’ve ever seen.

In that case, you've seen very few yuri/yuri bait shows if that kind of gay bravado surprises you that much. The same writer wrote Valkyrie Drive, and by comparison, this show looks like a description of life in a nunnery.
Jun 30, 2022 6:11 AM
Aug 2021
it's more likely they are suddenly revealed as sisters or something XD I got that vibe from the trailer
Jun 30, 2022 6:45 AM
Feb 2021
I don't think so. Although I love yuri but i don't think the Writer gonna do anything more than hint or subtext Yuri.It gonna focus more on the tournament and the rivalry between Aoi and Eve.The yuri stuff well We can alway count on Doujin Artist and Our imagination . Still if they do I gonna be happier.
Jun 30, 2022 7:18 AM

Sep 2014
1st reply: "Aquatope wasn't yuri bait"

Welcome back to the 20th century guys.
Jun 30, 2022 7:22 AM

Apr 2012
Hrybami said:
1st reply: "Aquatope wasn't yuri bait"

Welcome back to the 20th century guys.

If the 20th century was the last time you could debunk the ever-spreading misconceptions, then I sincerely hope that we are back in that century.
Jun 30, 2022 10:08 AM

Jul 2016
Pretty sure the show will reveal they are step-sisters or something so I don't think so.
Jul 1, 2022 12:09 AM
Sep 2020
Japan does yuri correctly it's not just a statement like in America. so my answer to this is...you bet your ass they do biggest of balls 大きいバズルだよ!
Jul 10, 2022 8:24 PM
Dec 2020
Saeedlfc said:
Why do you guys care about Yuri so much? Is this not a sports anime?

Well duh, of course in the the religion, we jump into every stuff that has subtext to Ship, whatever the frick the show is mainly about. It’s the joy of yuri shipping man.
Jul 11, 2022 6:08 AM

Apr 2012
Mayokawa said:
Saeedlfc said:
Why do you guys care about Yuri so much? Is this not a sports anime?

Well duh, of course in the the religion, we jump into every stuff that has subtext to Ship, whatever the frick the show is mainly about. It’s the joy of yuri shipping man.

What you describe is not a joy, but rather an obsession.
Jul 21, 2022 11:52 PM

Apr 2017
Speaking as a gay woman this show is obscenely fruity already. Like cmon literally the stereotype is that lesbians play golf lol. You can deny it all you want but the subtext is there. Whether they enter a relationship is ultimately not the main point anyway but I think its possible.

She smiled sweeter than Crème Brûlée

Jul 21, 2022 11:56 PM

Apr 2012
Angielicious said:
Speaking as a gay woman this show is obscenely fruity already. Like cmon literally the stereotype is that lesbians play golf lol. You can deny it all you want but the subtext is there. Whether they enter a relationship is ultimately not the main point anyway but I think its possible.

I literally hear this from gay fans about every show that is popular with shippers. Especially statements about subtext and attempts to find Western gay stereotypes in Asian shows. To the most ridiculous level when people stubbornly see the pink triangle in Japanese fire signs in Liz and blue bird.
Jul 21, 2022 11:58 PM

Apr 2017
Yawn, try harder.

Jul 22, 2022 12:00 AM

Apr 2012
Angielicious said:
Yawn, try harder.

And yes, in most cases it also ends up being rude and personal attacks in response to expressing doubt about their lack of understanding of things like fanservice and gay jokes.
Jul 22, 2022 12:02 AM

Apr 2017
I don't see a personal attack in any case I've literally watched hundreds of anime. If you think I can't tell the difference between the clearly platonic interactions like K-on and the subtext in this or the rose of Versailles then that's on you, buddy. Try harder.

Jul 22, 2022 12:07 AM

Apr 2012
Angielicious said:
I don't see a personal attack in any case I've literally watched hundreds of anime. If you think I can't tell the difference between the clearly platonic interactions like K-on and the subtext in this or the rose of Versailles then that's on you, buddy. Try harder.

Hah, and I watched almost one and a half thousand. And yes, you can't. Because you are literally ignoring the fact of using homoerotic subtext for platonic purposes and trying to label shows like Carol and Tuesday as "lesbian" when in reality it's just your shipping. And you can pretend all you want that your attempts at being sarcastic are not personal attacks, LMAO. As if for the first time.
Jul 22, 2022 12:11 AM

Apr 2017
Me dismissing your opinion is not a personal attack. If it really hurts your ego so much that you consider it such, that's hardly my problem. "Because you are literally ignoring the fact of using homoerotic subtext for platonic purposes". This sentence says it all.

Jul 22, 2022 12:15 AM

Apr 2012
Angielicious said:
Me dismissing your opinion is not a personal attack. If it really hurts your ego so much that you consider it such, that's hardly my problem. "Because you are literally ignoring the fact of using homoerotic subtext for platonic purposes". This sentence says it all.

Continued attempts to be humiliatingly sarcastic and using extremely general, abstract excuses instead of arguments is not "dismissing your opinion". This is literally a personal attack and a lame argument. Also, I understand that gay shippers stubbornly ignore this for obvious reasons, but homoerotic symbolism has been used for centuries to emphasize the power and emotionality of a platonic relationship. The Japanese are especially famous for this, as friendship in Japanese culture is often idealized as a platonic romance. But you're probably aware of this since you've watched "literally hundreds of anime" lol.
Mar 7, 2023 1:15 AM

Jul 2020
I know this is an old thread but they are 100% gay and nothing can change my mind. if they aren't endgame I'm killing myself
Mar 23, 2023 5:48 PM

Sep 2018
hasn't eve literally kissed aoi and promised to kiss her even more it's already yuri lmao
Mar 23, 2023 11:30 PM
Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
To begin with, Aquatope has never been yuri bait, and some people's desire to comfort themselves with this wishful thinking will not make their expectations any more justified. Secondly, I wouldn't even call "yuri subtext" in BW baiting, since that's literally a planned abuse of gay bravado. If you close your eyes to Aoi's akogare, pretty much the entire yuri element in the show is gay-jokes of the level of "Huh? Are you in love with her?".

And stop talking about balls in such matters, in the street 2022, it was never a question of courage. I think western audiences should finally accept that the Japanese love intrigue and the ability to think out things more than any actual yuri or BL content and that not any show that has yuri content in one way or another is going to become lesbian love story.

Over 7000 languages and you chose to speak facts.
Mar 24, 2023 3:27 AM

Apr 2012
LemmaEOF said:
hasn't eve literally kissed aoi and promised to kiss her even more it's already yuri lmao
No, because she literally kissed her out of platonic intent and all the humor in the kiss scene was literally based on that. You can easily interpret Aoi as a gay crush character, but her promise to kiss her also made sense in context. I understand that shippers often don't care at all about even the simplest context of events in the show, but can't you just ignore it so rudely?

Kaikaidou said:
I know this is an old thread but they are 100% gay and nothing can change my mind. if they aren't endgame I'm killing myself
This show is nowhere promoted as yuri or romance in general. A second season could change things in any direction, but don't be fooled by high expectations.

Vongola-Juu said:
RobertBobert said:

Over 7000 languages and you chose to speak facts.
I'm just tired of people arguing about things without caring about the plot or features of Japanese fiction.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 9, 2023

35 by Tsinelas »»
Feb 17, 5:58 PM

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 2, 2023

34 by Tsinelas »»
Feb 14, 9:56 PM

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 23, 2023

82 by DazeFire »»
Feb 11, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Tokoya - Jun 16, 2023

30 by DazeFire »»
Feb 11, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Season 2 Episode 8 Discussion

AkeZZZ - May 26, 2023

28 by Tsinelas »»
Feb 10, 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.