Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 4, 2021 11:43 AM

Aug 2010
NoahC123 said:
I'd go into detail with my criticisms of the show, but everyone has already dove into what I was gonna type, and summed it up better than I could.

MY biggest issue with the show is in regards to Kumoko.

My problem, is with Kumoko, most of the time we've seen her, she basically just screams and spouts random stuff for at least half the episode, assuming the episode focuses to the humans. And while we got SOME depth, #1, I doubt it even matters considering it took THIS long to get to where we're at, and #2, it's a case of too little too late for me.

Like OK, we can argue that she's gone crazy, so much so she's developed 3 other personalities, but it doesnt change the fact that a lot of her dialogue is just her either ad libbing or making pop culture references to Spider-Man, Madoka Magica, and Seven Deadly Sins, which is ironic as her VA Aoi Yuuki is also the voice of Madoka and Diane from Madoka Magica and Seven Deadly Sins respectively. My issue isn't her ad lib, it's the fact she drones on and on and on until the director or someone in the recording studio finally laughs. And even then, it's not like there's a punchline or a set up.

If I REALLY wanted to hear ad lib drone for 10 minutes, I'll just watch either Kevin Hart, Will Ferrell, or Melissa McCarthy.

And then there's Kumoko's VA Aoi Yuuki. While I adore her as one of my favorite female VA's in anime and some of the characters she's voiced, I can't tell if she's ad libbing, or if she got same quality of material Henry Cavill got as Superman. In other words, NOT exactly a lot to work with.

I get she's obviously talented and has a ton of range, but given the writing, if this is her ad libbing, then the director and writers need to be called out as they basically handed her the wheels, and SHE needs to be called out not so much her performance, but because we've seen BETTER from her.

If this is a matter of poor writing, then all blame should be placed on the director and writers, and also, given her resume, it's clear Yuuki can pull this off with the right people in charge, but in the case of Kumoko, as well as the writing, I feel like they miscast her. NTM, including Yuuki, the cast is actually good, like Nao Toyama voices the genderbent red head, Sumire Uesaka voices Ariel, and Fei's voiced by Eri Kitamura. The problem is the material.

If there was a scale of how much I disagree with someone, on this one the scale would be broken.

In a show that has so little filler dialogue, I can go through one entire episode and everything said serves some purpose, have someone say that Kumoko 'spouts random stuff for 10 minutes' is just beyond egregious to me.
AiHikariApr 5, 2021 10:43 AM
Apr 4, 2021 12:19 PM

May 2015
NoahC123 said:
I'd go into detail with my criticisms of the show, but everyone has already dove into what I was gonna type, and summed it up better than I could.

My problem, is with Kumoko, most of the time we've seen her, she basically just screams and spouts random stuff for at least half the episode, assuming the episode focuses to the humans. And while we got SOME depth, #1, I doubt it even matters considering it took THIS long to get to where we're at, and #2, it's a case of too little too late for me.

Like OK, we can argue that she's gone crazy, so much so she's developed 3 other personalities, but it doesnt change the fact that a lot of her dialogue is just her either ad libbing or making pop culture references to Spider-Man, Madoka Magica, and Seven Deadly Sins, which is ironic as her VA Aoi Yuuki is also the voice of Madoka and Diane from Madoka Magica and Seven Deadly Sins respectively. My issue isn't her ad lib, it's the fact she drones on and on and on until the director or someone in the recording studio finally laughs. And even then, it's not like there's a punchline or a set up.

If I REALLY wanted to hear ad lib drone for 10 minutes, I'll just watch either Kevin Hart, Will Ferrell, or Melissa McCarthy.

And then there's Kumoko's VA Aoi Yuuki. While I adore her as one of my favorite female VA's in anime and some of the characters she's voiced, I can't tell if she's ad libbing, or if she got same quality of material Henry Cavill got as Superman. In other words, NOT exactly a lot to work with.

I get she's obviously talented and has a ton of range, but given the writing, if this is her ad libbing, then the director and writers need to be called out as they basically handed her the wheels, and SHE needs to be called out not so much her performance, but because we've seen BETTER from her.

If this is a matter of poor writing, then all blame should be placed on the director and writers, and also, given her resume, it's clear Yuuki can pull this off with the right people in charge, but in the case of Kumoko, as well as the writing, I feel like they miscast her. NTM, including Yuuki, the cast is actually good, like Nao Toyama voices the genderbent red head, Sumire Uesaka voices Ariel, and Fei's voiced by Eri Kitamura. The problem is the material.

Posts like this make me wonder if you actually watched the show
Apr 4, 2021 2:25 PM
Oct 2017
xorion said:
NoahC123 said:

Regardless on where you or anyone stands with Rimuru or Isekai Slime itself, TBF, while Rimuru IS OP, he DOES have a personality and motivitations compared to most isekai and power fantasy protagonists in the last few years.
Due to his experience in his past life, he was able to build a village and eventually an entire nation from scratch. He established relationships to get to where he's at, AND he became a demon lord to not only try to save Shion, Gobzo, and the others that perished, but also to teach humanity that he's not to be messed with.
Not only that, Gobta, Shion, Benimaru, Ranga, Milim, Shuna, Diablo, Veldora, Gabiru, basically every major character (both main and supporting) has had a chance to shine in the spotlight at some point, even in the OVA's.

While I get the argument in regards to Rimuru, to simply say he's OP, or that the show doesn't try anything new, either you clearly never paid attention to some of the more critical plot points of the show, or even scenes revolving around certain characters, or you're just some loser on a hate bandwagon trying to gain brownie points from people who are just as pathetic as you.

I'd even go far as saying you're the type of person with such low standards, you could tell me EVERYTHING about the million lives isekai, and how it ain't trash and people don't get the point of its meaning, but tell me Konosuba's "overrated" and "not funny" even though you CLEARLY never watched the show and probably just looked at a few memes.

I'm not sure why you're so upset lol. Nobody was saying slime is bad, and in fact Abredon said it's a great show. Also, DannX was talking about Arifureta, not slime so I'm not sure who you're even talking to.

I'm not upset???
And yeah, nobody's saying it's bad, at least so far on this thread; it doesn't mean that there ARE people who believe otherwise.
Also, that response was meant to Abredon.
Apr 4, 2021 2:29 PM
Oct 2017
AiHikari said:
NoahC123 said:

Regardless on where you or anyone stands with Rimuru or Isekai Slime itself, TBF, while Rimuru IS OP, he DOES have a personality and motivitations compared to most isekai and power fantasy protagonists in the last few years.
Due to his experience in his past life, he was able to build a village and eventually an entire nation from scratch. He established relationships to get to where he's at, AND he became a demon lord to not only try to save Shion, Gobzo, and the others that perished, but also to teach humanity that he's not to be messed with.
Not only that, Gobta, Shion, Benimaru, Ranga, Milim, Shuna, Diablo, Veldora, Gabiru, basically every major character (both main and supporting) has had a chance to shine in the spotlight at some point, even in the OVA's.

While I get the argument in regards to Rimuru, to simply say he's OP, or that the show doesn't try anything new, either you clearly never paid attention to some of the more critical plot points of the show, or even scenes revolving around certain characters, or you're just some loser on a hate bandwagon trying to gain brownie points from people who are just as pathetic as you.

I'd even go far as saying you're the type of person with such low standards, you could tell me EVERYTHING about the million lives isekai, and how it ain't trash and people don't get the point of its meaning, but tell me Konosuba's "overrated" and "not funny" even though you CLEARLY never watched the show and probably just looked at a few memes.

I think Kumo desu ga is just plain better than Slime.

Slime is at it's best when there's fighting and conflicts, it's a power fantasy at the end. Everytime they try to do politics and intrigue it always comes off as extremely shallow and childish, is like they're trying to take it far too seriously but don't deliver.

Kumo Desu Ga also gets around the 'power creep' issue in a very clever way. I think all-in-all it just has more depth to it and is way more clever. Slime is like a beer you take in to chill and just have fun and is at it's best when you don't take it too seriously, while Kumo Desu Ga is more like a fine wine with more depth to it where you can stop and think seriously about it.

At least Slime's political aspect isn't AS bad compared to how Highschool Prodigies went about it.

I'm OK with people like this, I really do. My problem is when people try to convey something as more than what it really is, or just plan old exaggaeration.
Apr 4, 2021 4:35 PM
Jan 2021
NoahC123 said:
xorion said:

I'm not sure why you're so upset lol. Nobody was saying slime is bad, and in fact Abredon said it's a great show. Also, DannX was talking about Arifureta, not slime so I'm not sure who you're even talking to.

I'm not upset???
And yeah, nobody's saying it's bad, at least so far on this thread; it doesn't mean that there ARE people who believe otherwise.

My only point on Reincarnated as a Slime was the implied premise was "reincarnated as the weakest monster", implying a period of growing in power. That gets skipped (at least in the anime - I haven't read the LN) in favor of the social aspects and city/nation building - which is a very good story and far better than over 99% of isekai, but not exactly what the title implied.
For that type of story, I find the Realist Hero LN better than the Slime anime. It is possible the Slime LN is better than Realist Hero-I just haven't read it, so can't compare them.

Konosuba is a parody/satire of typical isekai. Personally, I can't watch it - seeing characters be incompetent isn't my thing. But it does represent what would likely actually happen if a random human was transferred to a fantasy RPG world.
Grammar of Fantasy and Ash is probably a better representation of that. I have trouble watching that because it is not a comedy - the transferred people are given no assistance and have to learn the hard way, at risk of dying.

Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka wends it's way between and betwixt these, actually delivering on the slow growth, slowly revealing a history behind what is happeningniw, while the possibility of death feels a bit further away than in Grimgar (Aoi Yūki does wonders transferring Kumoko's personality to the screen - there are subtleties in the voice that convey the concealed pain Kumoko has). The anime does a very good job of bringing most of the important story elements across without being a complete slog (the Manga fails by discarding critical story elements and still being a slog).

You need to see Kumoko's trials to know where she comes from when things come to a Climax, and you need the later human and demon parts of the story earlier because you need to understand some of the politics that Kumoko will walk right into the middle of.

There are also spoiler reasons for showing human/demon stories earlier than they would show in a linear timeline.
Apr 4, 2021 6:34 PM
Oct 2017
Abredon said:
NoahC123 said:

I'm not upset???

My only point on Reincarnated as a Slime was the implied premise was "reincarnated as the weakest monster", implying a period of growing in power. That gets skipped (at least in the anime - I haven't read the LN) in favor of the social aspects and city/nation building - which is a very good story and far better than over 99% of isekai, but not exactly what the title implied.
For that type of story, I find the Realist Hero LN better than the Slime anime. It is possible the Slime LN is better than Realist Hero-I just haven't read it, so can't compare them.

Konosuba is a parody/satire of typical isekai. Personally, I can't watch it - seeing characters be incompetent isn't my thing. But it does represent what would likely actually happen if a random human was transferred to a fantasy RPG world.
Grammar of Fantasy and Ash is probably a better representation of that. I have trouble watching that because it is not a comedy - the transferred people are given no assistance and have to learn the hard way, at risk of dying.

Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka wends it's way between and betwixt these, actually delivering on the slow growth, slowly revealing a history behind what is happeningniw, while the possibility of death feels a bit further away than in Grimgar (Aoi Yūki does wonders transferring Kumoko's personality to the screen - there are subtleties in the voice that convey the concealed pain Kumoko has). The anime does a very good job of bringing most of the important story elements across without being a complete slog (the Manga fails by discarding critical story elements and still being a slog).

You need to see Kumoko's trials to know where she comes from when things come to a Climax, and you need the later human and demon parts of the story earlier because you need to understand some of the politics that Kumoko will walk right into the middle of.

There are also spoiler reasons for showing human/demon stories earlier than they would show in a linear timeline.

To be fair, I'm actually a bit behind on the show. I finished Episode 10, but have yet to start Episode 11. If I'm being honest, however, Kumo Desu Ga WASN'T exactly a top priority for me last season, at least compared to Horimiya, Wonder Egg, and Mushoku Tensei, anime I actually watched, so it's likely this'll stick around in the oven a bit longer this spring season, at least until I watch everything I'm interested in on Fridays, THEN I'll get to this. Not to say it's bad per se, it's really due to other anime grabbing my attention more than this.

Also, I apologize if I misinterpreted your discussion from earlier.

As far as Konosuba, I can see the point of people not getting into that type of comedy, though I personally hope one could at least agree that there's a reason people still talk about it to this day. However, I DO find it annoying when people tell me they don't get the comedy, or that it's overhyped or whatever reason they have, without even giving it a chance or just wanting to hate on something. Personally, given the parody anime we've been getting as of late, I'd take Konosuba's type of comedy any day of the week.

I'll give the people working on this credit for at LEAST trying with this, but given their black mark that is the Berserk remake, IDK if I'd give them THAT much credit. My problem with this isn't so much the story, though I DO think they should've picked up the pace a bit, it's with Kumoko. Yuuki did a great job as the spider, NGL. Kumoko, on the other hand, IMO, is a bit underwhelming, or at least, I don't think she's where the story THINKS she's at.

While I agree with what you said in regards to her personality, and on paper, this is Top 10 Anime Characters of the Year material, execution wise, I can't say I'm fond of. IDK about the source material, but I feel like the anime missed out on opportunities on bringing Kumoko to life, making her stand out and becoming yet another outstanding character voiced by Aoi Yuuki instead of coming off as a Rimuru clone some tend to argue on.
Aside from the personalities, I feel there could've been moments where we see WHY Kumoko's the way she is, how someone like her winds up in her current predicament, and also, why is she more outgoing now than in her previous life.
IDK if it's the story to blame, or the material given to Yuuki, but with Kumoko, she comes off as annoying given how a lot of her dialogue is her cracking jokes, and beyond her discovery of being part of something greater (because again, just finished Episode 10). Doesn't help that the human aspect isn't that interesting, and writing is subpar. NTM, the cast is honestly rather stellar.

Though I DO hope it gets better, and given what you said, depending on how they go about it, this could make or break the show. Criticisms aside, I think as a concept, Kumoko's good. I wouldn't say she's up there alongside Tanya or Tsuyu, but she's alright. Character wise and execution, it could be better.
Apr 4, 2021 6:53 PM
Oct 2017
billybub said:
NoahC123 said:

OK, I'll admit, that WAS a bad take. Exaggerated, but bad, and in poor taste. To answer your question, yes, I'm watching it, but I'm also behind ATM, just finished episode 10.

I might be way off here, but at least I actually watched the show compared to others who are only here to bash it simply because the studio behind this also did the Berserk remake, or bot spamming Wonder Egg and that skating anime recently. Have you seen some of the posts on some of the forums about this show?

Maybe it's just me, but looking at this @Captain_Intense guy giving their score on the show, and bragging about how people aren't "mature enough to grasp certain unique attrivutes of this show", I'd be asking them if THEY'VE seen the show. Cause the spider aspect ain't a 10, and giving the human aspect a 7 is just WAY TOO KIND and undeserving.
Apr 4, 2021 7:40 PM
Oct 2017
AiHikari said:
NoahC123 said:

If there was a scale of how much I disagree with someone, on this one the scale would be broken.

In a show that has so little dialogue, I can go through one entire episode and everything said serves some purpose, have someone say that Kumoko 'spouts random stuff for 10 minutes' is just beyond egregious to me.

OK, TBF, yes that was egregious for me to say that.

If I may clarify, it's not so much her dialogue that irks me, it's the writing. The first part where I gave my criticisms on Kumoko, it really boils down to her concept on paper being really good, but a lot's to be desired in execution. And the writing and Kumoko cracking jokes didn't exactly help either for me.

The second part, honestly, that was me going into speculation as to what happened behind the scenes. I'm blaming the director for basically letting her have at it rather than sit down, talk to her, and show her HOW to portray Kumoko, especially during the more critical moments of the show. I'm blaming the writers for such mediocre dialogue, ESPECIALLY within the human aspect of the show, and the sad part is that the casting is really good. The human aspect with its dialogue, it's basically a mediocre self insert power fantasy fanfic I'd read on Wattpad that's written by a 12 year old.

I don't like being that guy, but if you're an established writer,to the point you're working on shows, movies, and even anime, and THIS is the type of dialogue you're putting out, and I could the same dialogue on Wattpad handled much better this by a 12 year old in Arkansas, and the same generic fantasy plot handled much more creatively by a 25 year old overseas in Germany, you gotta go, someone needs to hand you the pink slip.
Apr 4, 2021 8:35 PM
Jan 2021
So far all you've seen is the prologue (the opening & exposition part of the plot). Soon you will see the rising action (middle) of the plot, and more things about the world will be revealed.

This is a single contained story with an ending, not an episodic story. There is a beginning, a middle, a climax and an end.

If this was a murder mystery story, you've just seen the detective being told who died and being introduced to the relevant persons, but haven't seen him question anyone.

Kumoko cracking jokes is a coping mechanism. She's in the worst place in the world, surrounded by the most powerful monsters, and has to risk her life on a daily basis.

Bear in mind that ALL the talking you hear her do is in her mind to herself.
Wait until she learns to speak to humans before you pass judgment upon her talking.

The human side is intentionally written as a variant of a typical self insert isekai. Things will change here soon. Watch the characters - some of them will grow, some will not.
Apr 4, 2021 8:46 PM
Oct 2017
Abredon said:
So far all you've seen is the prologue (the opening & exposition part of the plot). Soon you will see the rising action (middle) of the plot, and more things about the world will be revealed.

This is a single contained story with an ending, not an episodic story. There is a beginning, a middle, a climax and an end.

If this was a murder mystery story, you've just seen the detective being told who died and being introduced to the relevant persons, but haven't seen him question anyone.

Kumoko cracking jokes is a coping mechanism. She's in the worst place in the world, surrounded by the most powerful monsters, and has to risk her life on a daily basis.

Bear in mind that ALL the talking you hear her do is in her mind to herself.
Wait until she learns to speak to humans before you pass judgment upon her talking.

The human side is intentionally written as a variant of a typical self insert isekai. Things will change here soon. Watch the characters - some of them will grow, some will not.

Looking back on what I typed, I may have not only been too harsh, but also looked at it the wrong way. Maybe not AS harsh compared to those unwilling to give it a chance, simply due to this being made by the studio behind the infamous Berserk remake.

NGL, I DO have my concerns on the studio pulling this off, and my skepticism of anything they do moving forward, but regardless of my personal feelings, I AM willing to give all I watch a fair shot.
Apr 4, 2021 9:22 PM
Feb 2017
NoahC123 said:
billybub said:

OK, I'll admit, that WAS a bad take. Exaggerated, but bad, and in poor taste. To answer your question, yes, I'm watching it, but I'm also behind ATM, just finished episode 10.

I might be way off here, but at least I actually watched the show compared to others who are only here to bash it simply because the studio behind this also did the Berserk remake, or bot spamming Wonder Egg and that skating anime recently. Have you seen some of the posts on some of the forums about this show?

Maybe it's just me, but looking at this @Captain_Intense guy giving their score on the show, and bragging about how people aren't "mature enough to grasp certain unique attrivutes of this show", I'd be asking them if THEY'VE seen the show. Cause the spider aspect ain't a 10, and giving the human aspect a 7 is just WAY TOO KIND and undeserving.
NoahC123 said:
billybub said:

To understand those certain attributes one must see it through the prism of psychology- effect of seclusion from one's own kind and it's ill affects. To overcome that, especially to avoid getting insane one should talk to self as much as possible. That's what the author has tried to show.

Well yes giving 10- perfect score is impractical, as nothing perfect exist in this world. As you are concerned, take spider side as 9 . Well I agree with you about human side even 7 seems overrated, let's reduce it to 5 then
Apr 4, 2021 11:05 PM

Aug 2014
Lol, there's more reply than I was expected since my last post.

Regardless IMO, the story definitely doesn't appeal to everyone.
MC stuck to one place for too long to grab people's attention, more characters being thrown on almost every episode to offset the matters, world-building that is pretty much based on RPG crap which allows MC/Story to progress, and character stereotypes that are handled boldly but sometimes poorly.

I am just going to say that Kumo Desu Ga is probably overrated Isekai that most definitely not my cup of tea and most likely appeals to people who take any Isekai genre as normal breathing.

Any complaint about CGI is bullshit and I think the studio did well using it but you got that and the problem I listed above.
XaelathApr 4, 2021 11:10 PM
Apr 5, 2021 11:17 PM
Feb 2021
Xaelath said:

MC stuck to one place for too long to grab people's attention, more characters being thrown on almost every episode to offset the matters, world-building that is pretty much based on RPG crap which allows MC/Story to progress, and character stereotypes that are handled boldly but sometimes poorly.

I am just going to say that Kumo Desu Ga is probably overrated Isekai that most definitely not my cup of tea and most likely appeals to people who take any Isekai genre as normal breathing.

Any complaint about CGI is bullshit and I think the studio did well using it but you got that and the problem I listed above.

Yeah maybe its not for you and that's ok but its not generic if you know the source material. if you been paying attention this anime likes to misdirect you a lot with red herrings and miss-information, the story and world aren't as simple and generic as you think and its the focal point of the entire series.

Character development is great too. almost everyone changes quite a bit both in personality and morals, and not what you have seen so far i mean really change over the course of many years. I've read many light novels and if you want to lump this with other isekai then its your lose because this series is just getting started. i could see the cgi turning people off but the story is top teir and if your a LN reader this is well known in the community.

Most novels don't translate to other mediums as well as others and this is especially true for spider but their doing a good job adapting it, imo the only issue i have with anime is cgi and its paced to fast, but with a cave of monsters i get why they went cgi route and because of low attention span of average anime viewer i get why they sped the pace up too. Wish more people would read as its the best medium for stories imo and anima is great for after you read to see it a different way than in your mind
DanamaApr 5, 2021 11:23 PM
Apr 5, 2021 11:43 PM
Sep 2014
I read the manga. It is cool to see the human side of the story in the anime, but I feel like it affects the overall story telling itself. Like you don't know if her classmates is alive or not in the manga. Also I hate the 3d cg and how it's used at random moments..also almost reminds me of berserk's level of cg @-@;;
Apr 6, 2021 5:08 AM

Aug 2014
Danama said:
Xaelath said:

Yeah maybe its not for you and that's ok but its not generic if you know the source material. if you been paying attention this anime likes to misdirect you a lot with red herrings and miss-information, the story and world aren't as simple and generic as you think and its the focal point of the entire series.

Character development is great too. almost everyone changes quite a bit both in personality and morals, and not what you have seen so far i mean really change over the course of many years. I've read many light novels and if you want to lump this with other isekai then its your lose because this series is just getting started. i could see the cgi turning people off but the story is top teir and if your a LN reader this is well known in the community.

Most novels don't translate to other mediums as well as others and this is especially true for spider but their doing a good job adapting it, imo the only issue i have with anime is cgi and its paced to fast, but with a cave of monsters i get why they went cgi route and because of low attention span of average anime viewer i get why they sped the pace up too. Wish more people would read as its the best medium for stories imo and anima is great for after you read to see it a different way than in your mind

nah in general Isekai have always been mediocre.

This one was just above average but having a score of 9/10? Nah that would be overrated.

Just so you know, I rate based on their own Genre and so far only Rezero well deserving that score for being actually original, interesting, and engaging.
Not that I read or watch Isekai that much.
Apr 6, 2021 6:00 AM

Aug 2010
NoahC123 said:
AiHikari said:

In a show that has so little dialogue, I can go through one entire episode and everything said serves some purpose, have someone say that Kumoko 'spouts random stuff for 10 minutes' is just beyond egregious to me.

OK, TBF, yes that was egregious for me to say that.

If I may clarify, it's not so much her dialogue that irks me, it's the writing. The first part where I gave my criticisms on Kumoko, it really boils down to her concept on paper being really good, but a lot's to be desired in execution. And the writing and Kumoko cracking jokes didn't exactly help either for me.

The second part, honestly, that was me going into speculation as to what happened behind the scenes. I'm blaming the director for basically letting her have at it rather than sit down, talk to her, and show her HOW to portray Kumoko, especially during the more critical moments of the show. I'm blaming the writers for such mediocre dialogue, ESPECIALLY within the human aspect of the show, and the sad part is that the casting is really good. The human aspect with its dialogue, it's basically a mediocre self insert power fantasy fanfic I'd read on Wattpad that's written by a 12 year old.

I don't like being that guy, but if you're an established writer,to the point you're working on shows, movies, and even anime, and THIS is the type of dialogue you're putting out, and I could the same dialogue on Wattpad handled much better this by a 12 year old in Arkansas, and the same generic fantasy plot handled much more creatively by a 25 year old overseas in Germany, you gotta go, someone needs to hand you the pink slip.

I don't know why people think every protagonist has to be a self-insert. Shun's story isn't one where you're supposed to get behind. It purposely starts off generic and it quickly gets derailed, was supposed to be already buut they're pushing it back further into the second cour, it's a 'reality check' on the generic power fantasy harem Isekai.
Apr 6, 2021 10:56 AM
Jan 2021
Xaelath said:
Danama said:

This one was just above average but having a score of 9/10? Nah that would be overrated.

Just so you know, I rate based on their own Genre and so far only Rezero well deserving that score for being actually original, interesting, and engaging.

It's interesting you should mention Re:Zero... People complained about Re:Zero during the middle of its first season as well, and it wasn't until the end of the season that anime onlies saw the merit and potential of its story. Similarly, Kumo also has a slow start. There are fairly compelling reasons why Kumo isn't generic, and in fact is quite good, that aren't apparent in the anime yet. One of my favorite antagonists is in Kumo desu, and the cohesive world is one of the best I've seen. Of course, nothing is perfect and there are flaws with Kumo as well, but the anime has barely scratched the surface of the story; the second cour will likely be a roller coaster ride that brings many things into question.
Apr 6, 2021 10:24 PM

May 2014
NoahC123 said:
I'm blaming the writers for such mediocre dialogue, ESPECIALLY within the human aspect of the show, and the sad part is that the casting is really good. The human aspect with its dialogue, it's basically a mediocre self insert power fantasy fanfic I'd read on Wattpad that's written by a 12 year old.
If Shun was an actual self-insert power fantasy protagonist,

1) we would be encouraged to cheer for him and not against him, and
2) he would actually be strong enough to win with ease.
TheDeedsOfMenApr 6, 2021 10:28 PM
Apr 6, 2021 10:27 PM

Feb 2010
aLotQuestion_ said:
Isekai-ish anime is about OP protagonist, this shown MC isn't OP but working hard to earn her right.

That is why.

no it's because berserk level animations dude. i love the LN and Manga, but even i think the 3d modeling and animations are subpar.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 6, 2021 10:32 PM
Jan 2021
hazarddex said:
aLotQuestion_ said:
Isekai-ish anime is about OP protagonist, this shown MC isn't OP but working hard to earn her right.

That is why.

no it's because berserk level animations dude. i love the LN and Manga, but even i think the 3d modeling and animations are subpar.

Come on. The CGI quality in Kumo is far better than Berserk. Sure, it's not the absolute best, but saying it's like Berserk is a real disservice to the Kumo anime.
Apr 6, 2021 10:33 PM

Feb 2010
xorion said:
hazarddex said:

Come on. The CGI quality in Kumo is far better than Berserk. Sure, it's not the absolute best, but saying it's like Berserk is a real disservice to the Kumo anime.

it's shit. the combat is janky the slapped on UI has literally no effort into it. it's just a wall of floating words. i love the manga and LN, but i as a fan of the series cannot agree with this direction for the anime.

and don't get me started on the monky fight and araba fight which were one of the best fights in the LN and manga but is completely butchered in the anime.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 6, 2021 10:44 PM
Jan 2021
hazarddex said:
xorion said:

it's shit. the combat is janky the slapped on UI has literally no effort into it. it's just a wall of floating words. i love the manga and LN, but i as a fan of the series cannot agree with this direction for the anime.

and don't get me started on the monky fight and araba fight which was one of the best fights in the LN and manga but is completely butchered in the anime.

The UI is completely unrelated to the CGI. I can see a case to be made about the UI being not very good, and in fact I dislike how they've portrayed HP, MP, and SP. However, this has nothing to do with the CGI quality. I would say the movements are at the very least above the industry standard. Berserk, which is what you compared Kumo to, however, is far worse.
Apr 6, 2021 11:08 PM
Jan 2021
Here's a few examples of Berserk, since people seem to have forgotten how terrible it really was.

xorionApr 6, 2021 11:13 PM
Apr 7, 2021 12:17 AM
Feb 2021
hazarddex said:
xorion said:

and don't get me started on the monky fight and araba fight which were one of the best fights in the LN and manga but is completely butchered in the anime.

Ok the monkey fight could of been better but the Araba fight was great imo
Apr 7, 2021 12:28 AM
Apr 2021
hazarddex said:
xorion said:

I understand how the monkey fight was butchered but how is the araba fight butchered? They did ruin it a bit by removing the majority of where Kumoko's trauma came from in the anime but it still was a absolutely amazing fight and pretty emotional at the end.
Apr 7, 2021 2:24 AM
Sep 2020
Xenocrisi said:
Emmkuro said:
Well considering this show used to be 6.7 when it first started to air. i see this as an improvement

Week 01 - 6.93
Week 02 - 6.94 (+0.01)
Week 03 - 6.89 (-0.05)
Week 04 - 6.85 (-0.04)
Week 05 - 6.85 (0.00)
Week 06 - 6.90 (+0.05)
Week 07 - 6.92 (+0.02)
Week 08 - 6.95 (+0.03)
Week 09 - 6.99 (+0.04)
Week 10 - 7.04 (+0.05)
Week 11 - 7.07 (+0.03)
Week 12 - 7.15 (+0.08)
well i guess my memory was wrong but still 6.9 is quite low
Apr 7, 2021 5:32 AM
Sep 2017
Well, lots of people are drawing comparisons to TenSura. TenSura managed to be enjoyable even with it's very predictable plot. Maybe that's the type of the isekai we've all begun to like nowadays.
KumoDesu so far has not been very enjoyable. I'm enjoying the little information that's being leaked through the episodes but other than that, nothing major has actually happened, story-wise. Kumoko has been in this Labyrinth for 12 episodes now. That's a little too fucking long. Every fight took place to showcase how many skills or how strong she has become. Her PTSD and fight with Araba was showing the character development she had since the first episode where she's actually really afraid of one of the monsters and wants to become strong enough so that she doesn't feel that way again. 12 episodes for that? If the anime gets better after episode 13, it still wouldn't justify the fact that it took 12 whopping episodes for us to get to the good part. This ain't no Steins;Gate.
Apr 7, 2021 11:59 AM
Jan 2021
KenSmiley said:
Well, lots of people are drawing comparisons to TenSura. TenSura managed to be enjoyable even with it's very predictable plot. Maybe that's the type of the isekai we've all begun to like nowadays.
KumoDesu so far has not been very enjoyable. I'm enjoying the little information that's being leaked through the episodes but other than that, nothing major has actually happened, story-wise. Kumoko has been in this Labyrinth for 12 episodes now. That's a little too fucking long. Every fight took place to showcase how many skills or how strong she has become. Her PTSD and fight with Araba was showing the character development she had since the first episode where she's actually really afraid of one of the monsters and wants to become strong enough so that she doesn't feel that way again. 12 episodes for that? If the anime gets better after episode 13, it still wouldn't justify the fact that it took 12 whopping episodes for us to get to the good part. This ain't no Steins;Gate.

No, there's a lot more reasons why it look over 3 Light Novel issues or 12 episodes before Kumoko was first able to leave the Great Elroe Labyrinth than JUST character development.

We are introduced to some of the main characters of the story, taught that there is no fast path to power in the System, and given hints and pieces of information that will be relevant later (even if we don't notice those hints yet)

Each episode teaches something important about the world. Some Light Novel/Web Novel readers have complained about the anime actually being rushed and that 12 episodes was too few (and they have a point - there were additional scenes that could have helped the story that were skipped for lack of time)
Apr 7, 2021 12:13 PM
Sep 2017
Abredon said:
KenSmiley said:

No, there's a lot more reasons why it look over 3 Light Novel issues or 12 episodes before Kumoko was first able to leave the Great Elroe Labyrinth than JUST character development.

We are introduced to some of the main characters of the story, taught that there is no fast path to power in the System, and given hints and pieces of information that will be relevant later (even if we don't notice those hints yet)

Each episode teaches something important about the world. Some Light Novel/Web Novel readers have complained about the anime actually being rushed and that 12 episodes was too few (and they have a point - there were additional scenes that could have helped the story that were skipped for lack of time)

Well, I can't agree with that cause 12 episodes is still too long. It's 240 minutes. I'm just not a fan of slow series. You say each episode teaches something important about the world. I would love to know what we learned about the isekai world between episodes 1 and 8 that was actually important story-wise. So far, it has just been Kumoko levelling up, evolving and unlocking new skills with few hints about what's currently happening.

I don't particularly hate the show but it was fairly repetitive in the first cour. Looking forward to future episodes.
KenSmileyApr 7, 2021 1:47 PM
Apr 7, 2021 12:38 PM
Jan 2021
KenSmiley said:

I'm just not a fan of slow series.

That's totally fine. Slow burn stories are not for everyone.

Did you miss the whole subplot with Hugo? How Oka removed all of his skills with her Ruler Authority? How about Julius fighting the Nightmare Vestige? There's also the scene where Fei and Shun talk about different evolution paths for dragons, and how Earth dragons don't have wings. Don't forget, there's also the contrast in how Kumo reacted to getting Kin Eater, and how Fei reacted to getting Kin Eater. There's also another scene where Hugo talks with a mysterious girl regarding revenge. Most of the things we learn about the world are through the human side, but we do also see things from Kumo's perspective, such as when she gets the Wisdom skill from Administrator D. Yes, she's down there for 12 episodes, but it serves a purpose to the story. This isn't some random cave, this is the most dangerous dungeon in the world. She fell down into the Lower Stratum, and the only path up is through the Middle Stratum which is filled with fire and lava, a spider's biggest weakness.
Apr 8, 2021 11:23 AM

May 2014
Xaelath said:
Danama said:

As someone who has read 10 volumes of the ReZero light novel, I have to disagree on it being the most original, interesting, or engaging. ReZero is fine compared to average isekai quality, but it almost always still defaults to a heroic, virtuous protagonist fighting against over-the-top obviously evil villains and saving his love interests and innocent by-standers from obvious evil. (There are a few exceptions.) Sure, Subaru suffers more than most protagonists, has (relatively small) issues with his personality, and has to rely on time travel instead of combat abilities, but that doesn't alter the central formula enough. Also, I would have expected bigger plot twists within those 10 volumes compared to the relatively small reveals we got. Maybe there will be something later that completely overturns the story, and I can think of some possibilities like that, but I would have expected more by that point at the latest.

If you exclude KumoDesu, surely the Youjo Senki light novel is the most original isekai by a mile. It analyzes ideologies, does legitimately funny political satire, and even dabbles in other areas of philosophy.
Apr 10, 2021 4:30 PM
Jan 2018
[quote=TheDeedsOfMen message=62692474]
Xaelath said:

If you exclude KumoDesu, surely the Youjo Senki light novel is the most original isekai by a mile. It analyzes ideologies, does legitimately funny political satire, and even dabbles in other areas of philosophy.

Have you never read bookworm?
Apr 11, 2021 1:06 AM

Feb 2020
Actually i haven't rated yet so many will rate it after completing it... In my view ending also decides my rating if its good this anime will definitely get a 8 from me
Apr 13, 2021 8:25 PM

May 2014
poisonedbite said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

I didn't get the notification because you used the wrong person for the quote tag.

Yes, I have read some of Bookworm. The main problem with it is that the main antagonist is nature, both in the form of illness and the low level of technology. And nature is a pretty boring antagonist because it is amoral and obviously lacks any motivation.

Bookworm does some social commentary but it seems to focus on the standard arguments against nobility, which isn't particularly original, and it doesn't examine it very analytically either. Some of the nobles have been written as evil caricatures to emphasize the theme, even though many systemic problems would exist even with nicer ones.
Apr 13, 2021 9:05 PM
Jan 2021
[quote=poisonedbite message=62720591]
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Xaelath said:

Bookworm in a nutshell:
OK - the first writing material were clay tablets. Let's try to recreate that without figuring out if it is feasible.
A year later:
Oh, it wasn't feasible. The next writing material was papyrus. Let's try to recreate that without actually doing research about what writing materials we have ready resources for.
A year later: ...

Note the artificial conflict caused by her trying to implement infeasible solutions.

Bookworm if she was reasonably intelligent:
Wood is readily available. Paper is relatively easy to make given wood pulp (which you can make from sawdust, which is a waste product and thus cheap). Let's make paper. We should work with a chemist to create solutions to break down cellulose into pulp.
1 year later: OK, we know how to make paper in quantity, Let's work on a printing press.
AbredonApr 13, 2021 9:12 PM
Apr 14, 2021 1:19 AM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Thread locked.

For Breaking Anime Discussion Rule 2
Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. picture collecting
b. random "xx vs. yy" (e.g. random anime/manga/character xx vs. random anime/manga/character yy)
c. gossiping about individuals (e.g. youtubers, channels/videos, MAL members, other sites' users, etc.)
d. personal storytelling, narration, ranting, and/or blog-style posts; these topics only encourage a one-way discussion where members are commenting on the poster's idea, and should be posted using blog feature instead

Topics regarding ratings/ranking/scores will mostly encourage arguments (flame wars) more so than having a meaningful discussion. Can also use the official "Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread" when wanting to discuss about an overrated/underrated anime.

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

140 by Psicrom »»
May 26, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

370 by Youtube_Zero »»
May 9, 5:10 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

138 by LunaInkChan »»
Apr 26, 11:17 PM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.