English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 30, 2020 12:45 AM
Apr 2020
thanks for share
May 1, 2020 11:31 PM

Jul 2012
1. After the toggle is implemented, I would prefer the romanized title, but later on I would prefer to have the option to switch to Japanese.

2. I think it would be best to keep the two instead of switching to English as there is a good chance that there would be a percentage that knows an anime by only its English title whilst the other percentage only knows it by its romanized title. (I am not from NA but I am from an English speaking country).
Sep 7, 2020 5:49 PM

Apr 2010
Has this been implemented? I used to use a greasemonkey script to change the Japanese anime titles in my list to English but it stopped working. So I'd really like to be able to toggle them to English somehow. I don't even know most of the Japanese titles so I don't even have a clue what most of my list is and it's really hard to recognize stuff with titles I don't know.
Sep 16, 2020 7:56 PM
Aug 2018
1. I prefer both titles and I really like being able to see both.
2. I think having both could help keep from having people get confused. I can barley remember the correct name for animes.
Sep 22, 2020 4:31 AM
Mar 2014
English for both questions.

I wonder if the toggle will become available once the MAL app gets released. And I hope the option that you pick ends up with the same result on the app as well.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1279582745472184322
Sep 29, 2020 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
I like being able to see the og title but, English PLEASE. I have to click on the show which takes me off my main list just to double check an make sure its the correct one I'm looking at.
Oct 3, 2020 10:30 PM

Feb 2011
Romanized for both. To be honest, seeing English titles has been irking me for a long time so getting a toggle option would be really nice.
Oct 7, 2020 3:45 PM
Aug 2020
I would prefer to be able to set the English title as the main title, at least when viewing my own list. It's cumbersome to have to click on the anime page to figure out what it is if I am not familiar with the romanized title.
Nov 15, 2020 11:44 PM
Nov 2020
I read posts going back 5 years requesting this. This is 9 months old. I for the life of me cannot believe this isn't a feature. I assumed this would be a given. I had no problem building my list but now its unbelievably cumbersome to look through, as nothing is in English. A toggle would be simple to have without using a script. It's really a bummer, a deal breaker, and a time waster.

110% need a toggle.
Dec 8, 2020 8:51 AM

Jan 2013
Considering at least on the manga side that there are plenty with no English title, or worse, a wrong English title (for stuff sold in the MAL Store!) I assume this is still a ways off.
Dec 24, 2020 10:56 PM
Oct 2018
1. I would prefer both be showed. I think it looks nice as-it-is, and it makes it very easy to see at a glance both names an anime goes by. Someone said no one uses english names, not true at all. Personally, I use the english names for anime exclusively. So seeing someone say they love x anime, looking it up on MAL, I can at a glance see what anime they're talking about, without having to scroll down.

2. For users not signed in, I think the main title displayed should be japanese/romanized. Mainly for global users. And as I personally am signed in, it won't affect me anyways. If an anime is going to be known by either title globally, it'd be the language of it's country of origin.
Jan 1, 2021 12:26 AM
Mar 2014
Where's the toggle at....?
Jan 27, 2021 10:25 PM
Dec 2012
....any updates on that toggle?
Feb 1, 2021 7:38 AM
Apr 2013
Defaults should always be Romanized, obviously. This is an internatinal site, and therefore the original japanese title should always be the one to be displayed.
Feb 19, 2021 5:06 PM
Mar 2014
I think this is something they forgot about. Probably the best thing they could do is announce a complete website overhaul from the ground up. That would explain why what they announce is so slow to happen, if it happens.
Feb 5, 2022 6:35 PM

Jan 2014
Here are my thoughts on this topic, and hopefully the staff will read this too:

Kineta said:

1. Even after the toggle is implemented, would you prefer both titles in the h1/top header of Anime/Manga entries while being signed in?

There's many that want Romanji but I personally prefer English titles in my list, which I personally think there should be options to choose either Romanji, or Native, or English, or any other languages so that each individual can choose what they want personally, so that while some can choose Romanji if they want, there might be others that want to use their own native language when referring to the anime/manga titles, so there should be different options for each individual. And people can't be collective about things and say "all one thing for everyone" just because they want one thing personally, so, there should be an option to choose any languages including native Japanese, or English, or French, or Spanish, or Romanji if they choose it that way. Romanji be default, but people can have the option to go to their list settings and choose a language of any kind.

Kineta said:

2, For not signed in users, what are your thoughts on switching the main title displayed to English?

I already mentioned on the first part, and I'll say it again, there should be an option to choose a language for different individuals. Romanji being default but people can have the option to edit and toggle any languages for different individuals if they go to settings to change what they view, even if people want to use native Japanese for immersion purposes or whatever.
From the very beginning, I'm never someone who tells others to do what they don't want to do, but I'm purely against ideological policies like affirmative action and so on that forces people to deny biological practicality.
May 30, 2022 9:35 AM
Jun 2017
ok so where iss the toggle now ? it's been two years since you posted this and 12 years since people began asking for it, I don't understand how a website as big as MAL doesn't have such a simple feature that helps a lot
I don't hate people who prefer japanese names I just want a toggle to see english names only that's it, people can choose what they want
Be yourself !
May 30, 2022 9:39 AM
Jun 2017
please admins please make this feature I really need it :'( I'm so done clicking on every show on earth just to check that it's the show I'm looking for
Be yourself !
Jun 2, 2022 3:38 AM

Feb 2020
@ceberios

Account Settings > List > Default Settings > Anime/Manga Titles

There you can change "Main Title" to "English"
Jun 2, 2022 12:23 PM
Jun 2017
omg so they actually implemented it when did that happen, I feel so dumb now because I actually did check account settings before but didn't find it
ty so much I would've never noticed that without you
ty again @mazuchi
Be yourself !
Mar 30, 2:33 AM
Nov 2023
Kineta said:
I promised in some 20+ page Suggestions thread in like 2012(?) that we wouldn't change them until we got an English/Main title toggle :'D
Jicetus said:
Fullmetal Alchemist is an historic English title in the database, and it will eventually be changed to its romanized counterpart. However, we will wait for a global JP/EN toggle before modifying it. The reason we haven't changed it is because if we did it now it'll just create confusion since it's been like that since the dawn of time. But yes you are correct, Hagane no Renkinjutsushi is what FMA's title should be. There are other titles that's just as FMA, but I'm drawing a blank, can't think of them... But the same applies for those as well, it will be changed later on.

So are you gonna change the title soon, now that the toggle has been added?
Apr 4, 5:31 AM

Feb 2023
Reply to Mister_Kay
Kineta said:
I promised in some 20+ page Suggestions thread in like 2012(?) that we wouldn't change them until we got an English/Main title toggle :'D
Jicetus said:
Fullmetal Alchemist is an historic English title in the database, and it will eventually be changed to its romanized counterpart. However, we will wait for a global JP/EN toggle before modifying it. The reason we haven't changed it is because if we did it now it'll just create confusion since it's been like that since the dawn of time. But yes you are correct, Hagane no Renkinjutsushi is what FMA's title should be. There are other titles that's just as FMA, but I'm drawing a blank, can't think of them... But the same applies for those as well, it will be changed later on.

So are you gonna change the title soon, now that the toggle has been added?
@Mister_Kay
There is still no global toggle across the entire site, the toggle is only for the lists so far.
You can not see the English title on:
  • Top Anime/Manga
  • Anime/Manga Search
  • Your Anime Suggestions
  • User Profile (Last Anime/Manga Updates, Anime/Manga History, Favorites, Reviews, Recommendations)
  • Shared Anime/Manga, Affinity with other Users
  • Interest Stacks
  • People (Voice Acting Roles/Anime Staff Positions/etc)
  • Characters (Animeography/Mangaography)
  • Companies
  • Blogs (Anime Relations)
  • Clubs (Anime Relations/Manga Relations)
  • and a lot more
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

102 by davehimself »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

408 by bastek66 »»
May 31, 2:52 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

145 by Vulpix98 »»
May 30, 2:10 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

245 by tingy »»
May 30, 1:19 PM

» Planned 3hr Maintenance, Wednesday May 29 @ 1am-4am PT

Kineta - May 26

0 by Kineta »»
May 26, 3:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.