Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Feb 8, 2020 6:04 AM
Oct 2016
Ughhh, I watched this anime like 4 months ago and I still CRY every time I listen to this beautiful and emotional song.. It just hits me so hard because I can kinda relate to Mafuyu, the fact that he has all this sadness inside of him but just doesn't know how to express it..
Feb 18, 2020 8:31 PM

Aug 2019
OMG I LOVE IT. Everything was so great and perfect. I love the Song
"No matter whether you win or not,
there’s no meaning to war.”
– Gintoki Sakata
Feb 28, 2020 6:34 PM

Mar 2014
Ok.. so the song was great. It was almost emotional until they cut to the middle with scenes of red hair and Yuki, showing them basically sleeping together? How am I supposed to believe in the main pairing if he's obviously so hung up on his ex, how they would probably still be so happy together if it weren't for one comment. I mean there had to be more context (I've looked up manga discussion etc) and it just seems like.. plot. Not emotional imo.
And so I find the main pairing quite unbelievable cos of red hair. Also when I read that there was a "not rapey" kiss I thought it would be consensual but why would black hair (ya I forgot their names typing this) kiss a guy who just sang about how much he loved his ex and how he couldn't forget him?? I get having feelings but cmon time and a place and when someone is highly emotional is.. not it.
Yes I am thinking waaay too hard about this but I was really enjoying it up til now. I do love black hair but not the pairing. Blonde ponytail guy is best character thus far.
And maybe the next couple episodes will clear things up but this was just frustrating.

SouthRzVa said:
I still don't get the context of the fight with Mafuyu and the "would you die for me?" phrase but I only can guess that Yuki was already suicidal or at least, was going through some kind of depression that the viewer had to notice.

This makes no sense to me either. I've found nothing from spoilers and you'd think it would be mentioned in the manga by now? I'll probably have to read the manga myself but if it's the same story just because of that comment it'll be even more frustrating
Shuichi2Feb 28, 2020 6:43 PM
Apr 6, 2020 2:38 PM

Jan 2016
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Enough said, thanks for listening.
Apr 28, 2020 2:02 PM
Jul 2017
I've rewatched the episode at least 10 times in the past 2 days and playing the song on repeat. When Mafuyu screamed "Aaahh" it literally gives me goosebumps there's so much emotion.
May 20, 2020 6:43 AM
Jul 2018
I am in a state of shock. My jaw fell to the ground the second I caught a glimpse of that god awful 3d animated performance. then my jaw dug ten feet deeper when Mafuyu opened his mouth. my jaw continued to fall deeper into the core of the earth listening to the lyrics while watching his past unfold. then I cried my two eye balls out.
great episode that was a lot of stuff to take in within three four minutes wow.
May 24, 2020 1:19 AM

Aug 2019
Was not expecting the feels to hit me so hard, I almost cried. Mafuyu's performance was beautiful and powerful with his voice filled with so much raw emotion and almost screaming out the lyrics, which were just as good, don't even care if he made them on the spot. I was certainly surprised by how good he sounded. And the flashbacks were so sad, especially when he said "I miss you" and the fact that he basically blames himself for Yuki's death. The kiss was totally perfect and the post-credit's scene was really sweet. Shame that only two episodes are left, I definitely want more.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Jun 18, 2020 6:34 PM
May 2019
Zerity said:
damn when Mafuyu started singing i got goosebumps but even more than that when he screamed out "AHHH" during that song the amount of chills i felt jesus

I had to sit down and just think about life for a while after the performance
Jun 19, 2020 3:54 PM
Jun 2020
It's different when you've actually had a grieving experience.
Jun 20, 2020 9:17 AM

Jun 2020
SpecialDisaster said:
It's different when you've actually had a grieving experience.

It really is...

This episode was really sad but that last 5 mins after-credits scene was just heartbreaking.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 27, 2020 4:50 PM
日野森雫

Apr 2019
the episode was beautiful. Mafuyu's song was so pretty <3 i loved everyones reactions uwu

✧ forum set by the loml, toria <3 ✧
Sep 20, 2020 10:28 AM
Sep 2020
حلقتي المفضلهههه 😭❤
Sep 25, 2020 7:33 AM

Oct 2019
I have to admit, I was not really into this show to begin with—"Oh, another bland shounen-ai from a studio I've never heard of to get my dirty hands all over"—over the first 6 episodes or so, the show seemed especially bland, following a similar suite to other shounen-ais produced before.

Pacing was not really my kinda thing (probably due to my shit taste), and the story didn't really seem to express much out of AAAAAAAAAAAAAA MY GUITAR IS BROKEN PLS FIX PLS TEACH ME HOW TO PLAY GUITAR I BEG U. I'd even dropped the series for half a year before picking it up again a week ago.

Fucking hell, this episode really made me realise how much of a dumbass I am for dropping given.

The emotions in this episode were really there; the deliverance and cues of events that happened are spot on, leaving me (a desensitised fuck) goosebumps, and gasping for when Mafuyu started singing. The last few episodes have really brought back what I thought about given, all I can say.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2020 1:29 AM

Apr 2020
rewatching Given today. in this episode I cried out loud again. a LOT
the flashbacks, the emotion on stage, the casual but expected kiss. everything with a perfect pace and beautiful music.

i'm going to keep crying (or as we say at home: voy a seguir haciendo la lloración)
Oct 25, 2020 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
the song was just 👌👌👌 and the feels were just top-notch amazing. I didn't quite cry but I definitely felt the impact of the entire band. it was a really cool moment ^^
Dec 2, 2020 2:43 AM
May 2020
Goosebumps!!!!!
I cried so much when Sato started singing. The song hits me so hard. I keep playing the song and i keep on crying for the nth time. I love it. I love it. I love it. I'm out of words.

This is my first time watching BL anime, I didn't expect that this is so good. I love it so much!!!!
Dec 26, 2020 1:06 AM
Aug 2020
I cried like a bitch
Dec 28, 2020 5:17 AM

Aug 2020
MADAAA TOKE KIREZU NI NOKOTTA
Jan 15, 2021 4:02 PM

Mar 2019
agh, where do i even begin? 10/10 episode. the song exceeded all my expectations and i cried both times i watched it lol. the song was beautiful! also, they kissed omg. it was perfect. i also really liked the scene with yuki at the end. i really feel for mafuyu, it must've been so painful to go through that. when he said are you willing to die for me then, i think i broke lol. this was my fav episode so far.
Jan 28, 2021 1:14 PM

Jul 2019
This is one of the best anime episodes
Feb 8, 2021 8:58 PM

Oct 2020
as someone who just got over a grieving process this hits different... damn
Feb 15, 2021 5:41 PM

Mar 2016
what a beautiful scene. i rarely cry at anything, let alone anime, but this had me tearing up. the song was so heartbreakingly beautiful and the visuals paired with it was everything. i had this anime on hold for over a year, but i am glad i did as i am watching it with a dear friend, it's a great show to share emotions over.

Feb 23, 2021 4:52 AM
Aug 2020
Welp, now I know why this episode has way more comments than all the others, this was masterfully done.
Mar 21, 2021 10:58 AM
Mar 2021
This is my favorite episode so far it was such a build up for Mafuyu's and Uenoyama's kiss at the end. The song was beautiful and I teared up to it especially with the flashbacks we got. Overall, such a beautiful episode
Mar 28, 2021 5:24 PM
Jul 2016
Dayum, this is/was the peak episode of the show, if you ask me. I mean this in the most possible light, but it was the gayest episode of all!

First off, in resolving the crisis every step of the way Haru showed off his best side to Aki, who of course was thoroughly impressed and finally openly vocalized his own feelings. It's a much-needed development more for Haru, I'd say... that man needed some sort of... relational affirmation.

Second of all, obviously, is how Natsu (Ritsuka) sorted his own feelings out with Fuyu before, during and especially after that awesome pinnacle song moment we've all waited for. And that sudden (but for us expected) Fuyu bolting out lyrics? Dayum son, no wonder Natsu couldn't help himself!

Oh, and I purposefully just used referred to them by nicknames (Haru=spring, Aki=fall, Natsu(the "ka" in Ritsuka)=summer, Fuyu=winter) because... you know, their band name.

And lastly, it's awesome we got a peek at Fuyu's old flame. Young as they were I'd say both of them looked wholesome overall in how they truly looked after each other.

Now that I've said my piece, I'm gonna re-watch that live segment...
Apr 12, 2021 8:57 PM
Jan 2021
I ugly cried when Mafuyu sang.
The song itself was great, but the meaning behind the lyrics and the flashbacks of him and Yuki was the icing on the cake.

They finally kissed!!!

the end credits scene was bitter-sweet, and I loved it

I'm 1000% gonna rewatch this episode multiple times
May 15, 2021 7:00 PM

Aug 2011
Such a great episode..man had me in tears when he started singing. I felt that sense of freedom letting yourself be vulnerable. Soo damn good
desu desu binches
Jun 4, 2021 4:31 PM

Jan 2021
Can't believe I'm crying ╥﹏╥
Jun 7, 2021 7:02 AM
Jun 2021
Alright I admit I cried a little of Mafuyu's tragic background partnered with the song that is so sad the moment you heard it GOOSEBUMPS and Chills all over my bodyyy
Jun 23, 2021 3:27 PM

May 2017
Rewatching this show just for this episode. Absolutely haunting. I love this story so much, it's just so well written. Love baby Mafuyu
Jul 12, 2021 11:18 PM
Jan 2016
I have watched the song part so many time, I cant help it

And sorry but I hate yuki so much, it is the kind of person I hate the most I could write an essay about that, but I don't really want to think so much about how much I hate people like him
Jul 13, 2021 11:59 AM
Dec 2020
One of the best anime episodes I've ever seen.
Aug 13, 2021 5:29 AM
Jul 2021
This is the only anime that made me remember a specific episode and made cry for it's story 😍
Sep 12, 2021 6:16 AM
Feb 2020
i didn't know i needed that physical approach

and also loved the end of this chapter
Oct 12, 2021 5:27 AM

Apr 2015
So I'm a composer and I did an analysis on the actual construction of the music of Fuyu no Hanashi (A Winter Story), and OMG the symbolism, the layers of meaning, is actually insane. This absolutely blew my mind when I realised this so I thought I might share:

the GENIUS of Fuyu no Hanashi is in the melody itself
Dec 8, 2021 3:40 PM
Dec 2017
Oh my god the song the feelings ahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its so amazing!!!!!

Mar 4, 2022 8:20 PM

May 2015
“Are you willing to die for me?”

Sato seeing Uenoyama turn around and then there’s Yuki, yeeeeeah, that’s a little concerning. They’re love interests, there’s two episodes left, and ik the like is supposed to be mutual, but that animation choice very much said “I see you when I’m with him, and that’s why I like him” to me. I know that’s probably not what the writer wanted to portray, but a little thing like that can make a big statement. Idk, might’ve not even been in the manga, so I’ll put that little thing aside for now.

A bit confused as to why Hiragi looked so mad? Is it because Sato wrote the words and Hiragi felt like he only should do that with Yuki? Did Yuki play some of it for Hiragi?

Anyway, good to see Yuki actually has a nice singing voice. Coz that lalala stuff wasn’t doing it lol
SuranaMar 4, 2022 8:52 PM
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Jul 28, 2022 3:37 AM

Jun 2021
Rewatching. Damn, can't get enough of this. That *mada* and *ahhhhhh* part got me goosebumps. This song never fails me to make me cry lol, I'm stll curious what is the real reason why Yuki commit suicide. Is it really just because Mafuyu told him or what *sigh*

"No matter where I go, you're there
You're always in my mind
You're in everything I see"

No matter how I think, yuki and mafuyu's relationship is really beautiful yet heartbreaking because of what happened. It was totally obvious that they both LOVE in each other. Like they're in their own world. Then tragedy happends.
Jul 28, 2022 3:38 AM

Jun 2021
Damn when Mafuyu started singing i got goosebumps but even more than that when he screamed out "AHHH" during that song the amount of chills i felt jesus.
Sep 7, 2022 4:54 PM
Dec 2021
BEST HTINGI IVEEVER WATHCED
Sep 25, 2022 12:05 PM

Mar 2017
Rewatching Given and I just can’t over how well written this is. All the characters adhere to the rule that they are the protagonist and that’s what makes them so vivid and full of life.

Nothing ever had or ever will give me chills the way Mafuyu’s voice does singing this gorgeous but haunting song. It breaks my heart but makes me feel so grateful too
Oct 1, 2022 9:56 PM
Jun 2020
Kinda just wanna add on to this thread because I just finished the movie, and rated it higher than this series, lol. Probably because the movie was much simpler in its storyline and "happier" as compared to the series.

But this anime, and this episode especially, honestly lived in my heart and head rent free.
I have animes that I absolutely love and will crazily rewatch countless time.
But this show, every time I think of it, my heart aches, especially this episode, when Mafuyu sang. I can't rewatch it even when I want to...lol

As many others said, when he started singing, I had goosebumps all over too.
But as the song progresses... The lyrics... oh my it hurts so much, I cried so badly, i couldn't even see the flashbacks well.

It really is indeed different when you have been through a similar grief... and it hurts so bad when even the circumstances are similar.

Side note for those who thinks Mafuyu is still hung up on Yuki and that is "unfair" to Uenoyama, or that Uenoyama is a replacement, because Mafuyu put so much feelings in that song.
He is not hung up on Yuki as his lover, he is hung up on his death.

Even after 2-3 years since I watched this, I couldn't bear to listen to this song. is in my playlist, but I skipped it when it starts. lol.
Dec 18, 2022 12:49 PM
Dec 2021
sobbing screaming dying </3
Jan 6, 2023 3:26 PM
Dec 2022
The best Episode so far!!! I miss Yuri but Uenoyama-kun kiss Sato!! Sorry for spoiler btw
Jan 12, 2023 11:04 PM
Dec 2022
escalofriante...
fue inevitable no repetir la escena <3
Feb 18, 2023 3:35 PM

Dec 2022
One of the best episodes in anime ever. 
Seldomly been this emotionally invested. 

Also, funny moment when they both just walked off the stage
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Feb 23, 2023 2:44 PM
Aug 2020
i love my autistic gay musician
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 5, 2023 9:50 AM
Mar 2016
This episode ripped my heart out. Straight out from my eyes. This episode alone easily makes the whole show an 8/10
Oct 3, 2023 12:41 PM
May 2022
Incredible, it feels like all the anime before this episode was made just for this, it came out really powerful.
Jan 9, 1:06 PM
Nov 2017
Rewatching this anime for the first time, after 5 years, I understand so much more of it. I cried during the song though like I did first time lol. It's truly a remarkable series
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Given Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tubby - Jul 18, 2019

114 by Antoinn »»
May 21, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Gardevoir101 - Sep 19, 2019

134 by Keia_ »»
May 11, 3:33 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tubby - Jul 11, 2019

169 by JacobRules »»
May 1, 9:43 AM

» I'm a straight guy, can I watch it?

removed-user - Oct 29, 2023

36 by NekoCats »»
Mar 2, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tubby - Jul 25, 2019

85 by gorkoo »»
Jan 23, 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.