Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2018 7:07 PM

Jan 2017
So I'm sure many of us have experienced a scenario that goes like this...

You get into a new show and you're loving it, you go ahead and add it to your list and keep watching. You then finish it and move onto the second season, then you go and add that one to your list. Which makes it list seasons 1 and 2 separately on your list. Not a huge deal, but when you get into shows with lots of specials, movies, and OVAs it gets kinda out of hand...

For example, I watch One Piece, there's A LOT of movies for this series. My list states that as of right now I have completed 88 anime. But 20 of those are just One Piece related, and 11 of those are Naruto related.

So what I'm getting at is, would you rather list everything no matter what, and have every single special, movie, and OVA of a series listed? Or would you prefer to not add them to your list to avoid a misleading anime total?
Aug 24, 2018 12:18 AM

Jul 2012
It's more misleading to leave them off of the list because your time watched is now going to be skewed significantly less. Especially as you get into more franchises. Using the One Piece example just from not listing the movies there's now an error of give or take 20 hours of time spent that doesn't appear on your list.

The main thing is you're thinking of it as 88 anime completed instead of 88 entries completed which since you seem to be a fan of longer running series is probably the wrong way to go about it since time spent will be much more worthwhile if you're measuring overall progress.

Another option if you want to personally avoid the misleading count you could use something like MALgraph which lists how many individual franchises you've watched. (Although using that method you have to personally calculate the difference in non-franchise and franchise entries to get the final count)
GamerDLMAug 24, 2018 12:45 AM
Aug 24, 2018 12:44 AM
Jul 2018
if i watched specials,ovas and shit i would add them to my list
i have like 5 code geass movies and other specials/ovas from the same series
Aug 24, 2018 12:44 AM

Jan 2017
GamerDLM said:
It's more misleading to leave them off of the list because your time watched is now going to be skewed significantly less. Especially as you get into more franchises. Using the One Piece example just from not listing the movies there's now an error of give or take 20 hours of time spent that doesn't appear on your list if you don't count the movies specifically.

The main thing is you're thinking of it as 88 anime completed instead of 88 entries completed which since you seem to be a fan of longer running series is probably the wrong way to go about it since time spent will be much more worthwhile if you're measuring overall progress.

Another option if you want to personally avoid the misleading count you could use something like MALgraph which lists how many individual franchises you've watched. (Although using that method you have to personally calculate the difference in non-franchise and franchise entries to get the final count)

That makes sense! I understand it more now, they should be considered entries, rather than anime!
Aug 24, 2018 12:46 AM

Jan 2017
Hatred said:
if i watched specials,ovas and shit i would add them to my list
i have like 5 code geass movies and other specials/ovas from the same series

Yeah I do the same, I was just wondering what everyone thought
Aug 24, 2018 1:01 AM

Nov 2014
When I had a few entries I didn't add OVAs and such because I felt like it artificially extended my list. But yeah it backfires now because I don't really remember which ones I watched and that's basic functionallity of making a list. And I don't think that "completed" is misleading, I mostly pay attention to "Days" stat which is pretty much unbiased information of how much time someone wasted on chinese cartoons
Aug 24, 2018 1:07 AM

Jan 2017
Ethan_Mouta said:
So I'm sure many of us have experienced a scenario that goes like this...

You get into a new show and you're loving it, you go ahead and add it to your list and keep watching. You then finish it and move onto the second season, then you go and add that one to your list. Which makes it list seasons 1 and 2 separately on your list. Not a huge deal, but when you get into shows with lots of specials, movies, and OVAs it gets kinda out of hand...

For example, I watch One Piece, there's A LOT of movies for this series. My list states that as of right now I have completed 88 anime. But 20 of those are just One Piece related, and 11 of those are Naruqerto related.

So what I'm getting at is, would you rather list everything no matter what, and have every single special, movie, and OVA of a series listed? Or would you prefer to not add them to your list to avoid a misleading anime total?

Bruh you just gotta be a franchise completionist. Like my list. lmao.

But yes, I'd prefer everything being left separately. Easier to find and pinpoint if I'm looking for it that way. Not sure why it's misleading, I've been asked many times about the # of anime I've completed v. my days, and that's always the first thing I point to (how many ova/single-entry/special/music/shorts I watched).

Aug 24, 2018 1:18 AM
Jul 2016
Yeah, it's sometimes a bit annoying, like with Natsume's book of friends sometimes I get high compatibility(sorry, affinity) with people just cos both of us have watched all five seasons and liked them (although actually I didn't like season 3 that much personally). Same goes for Ghibli films actually.

As for special episodes, OVAs and so on related to a longer series, I usually don't bother to list them, especially if they felt like just another episode, or special long episode. e.g. the Detective Conan movies, episode 0 of Another, the film at the end of Hikaru no Go, etc. And I never list anything that was less than 15 minutes long.
Aug 24, 2018 1:22 AM

Jan 2018
Just add it. Just because it's a short movie or special, doesn't mean it's effortless to watch it. Time can't be bought so if you're watching all the side story, it goes to show how you appreciate a certain franchise.
Aug 24, 2018 2:38 AM

Aug 2018
I guess you should add it without focusing too much xd
Aug 24, 2018 3:21 AM

Aug 2014
I keep track of every detail of my anime hobby nowadays, including rewatches. It's easy to add individual titles. When I start a franchise, I usually watch everything in it. The only things I haven't added to my list are random episodes I saw on TV many years ago. (Which includes Sailor Moon, Pokémon, Inuyasha, Gundam, Zoids, and Detective Conan.) I'm also working on an ultimate (and very subjective) ranking of all the anime franchises I've seen. My stats say I've completed 408 titles and rewatched 304. Narrowed down to franchises, it's barely over 100, but it will still take some time to decide.

More topics from this board

» Why do people abandon their friends for relationships?

Amityblight - 7 hours ago

15 by RainyEvenings »»
16 seconds ago

» I can't enjoy my interests as much as I did in the past, please help?

StrawberryBlxxd - Yesterday

25 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» I think the forces of Capital are inherently anti-media preservation ( 1 2 3 )

Timeline_man - Sep 5

148 by Freshell »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » how do you differentiate arrogance, confidence and courage?

deg - Sep 17

14 by GinInYourJuice »»
1 hour ago

» Do you have any weird or mild medical conditions?

Mualani - Today

21 by Yuno »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.