Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
K-ON!
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 1, 2017 11:47 PM

Jun 2017
I'm just curious ... looking around the internet I've always noticed an inordinate amount of hate towards Azusa, but I can't figure out exactly why and people don't tend to elaborate other than to say that she's too serious, or that she came later than the other characters... can't hold that against her, she's a necessary part of the group. Besides, every anime needs a straight man / contrast to the goofballs. As much as I love Yui, she wouldn't be nearly as effective if it weren't for Azu-nyan!

The responsible girl is a hell of a cute personality type - especially when they're the youngest of a group. It's adorable how everyone basically circumvents her complaints by feeding her cake, gets a smile out of me every time...

She might even be my favorite character in K-On! because she adds a nice, effective and innocent (sincere) contrast to the rest of them - Mio is somewhat similar because she tries to take things seriously, but Mio is definitely NOT proactive about it like Azusa is. She has to lose her temper before she speaks up at all, instances which are relatively few and far between.

Well, I love Azusa, how about you? Have you ever heard any other legitimate complaints? I guess I'm just surprised, she has her fans - it's true, lots of them, but she also has more haters than anyone in the show.
Oct 20, 2017 3:01 AM
Jul 2017
A good friend of mine who actually got me into anime told me she hated Azusa because of her effect on the story, saying that it was far more meaningful before Azusa came along and derailed the show into, and I quote, "HEYYYY AZUNYANNNNNNN YOURE SOOOOOOO KAWAIIIII". She said that watching characters have such meaningless interactions after her inclusion became too much to watch, especially when she "vastly overshadowed Mio as well as just being better than the others in general".
Personally, I don't care much about it, I like my fluffy slice-of-life either way, but that might give you some insight.
Oct 26, 2017 1:05 AM

Jun 2017
PF2M said:
...saying that it was far more meaningful before Azusa came along and derailed the show into, and I quote, "HEYYYY AZUNYANNNNNNN YOURE SOOOOOOO KAWAIIIII".

That might be giving the "complexity" of their interactions a little too much credit for me, haha. I guess I saw it as "typical Yui" and right in line with ...everything else Yui does. ...though, I personally enjoy Yui's mindless antics (because I'm watching K-on! for the 'fuwa-fuwa time', after all) so I tend to see her + Azusa in a positive light from the start I think.

I guess I don't personally see her as overshadowing any of the characters myself, though I can understand why some might, because while Mio is the most similar character and the only other one with any motivation to actually practice, she's definitely not in the same archetype, personality-wise. I do find the fact that she's actually way more experienced and a better player than the others a valuable plot point in itself - a situation that happens a lot in reality, when people try to form bands. ...well, up until having a lead like Yui, anyway. Can't claim that I've seen a band with someone as ridiculous as Yui in real life, heh. ;)

I think that point is very under-utilized, though - they could have done a lot with it, and it seems largely ignored after it's initial introduction. It could have been a much more valuable plot point, but eh... I still like my fluffy slice-of-life as well.
Alpha-MethylOct 26, 2017 1:10 AM
Oct 26, 2017 1:07 AM
Nov 2016
Azusa gets hate?
That's news to me...

Oct 26, 2017 1:21 AM

Nov 2014
I never saw any Azu-nyan hate. She seems to be one of the most popular characters.
If i had to find a reason for someone to hate her, it could be that she is in different grade, making her unable to participate in some situations - it always feel better when all main characters are together.
Oct 26, 2017 1:32 AM

Jun 2017
Oh, she definitely has a lot of fans - but I do believe she's the only character that anyone has any beef with. In ways she is the most popular, so I suppose it's natural that she also has the most enemies... usually how it works.

At least, I can't say that I've really seen people take issue with any of the other characters, but I've seen quite a few people state that they dislike Azu-nyan. Perhaps it's that she's just the only one anyone speaks up about?

Can't imagine it personally :p I guess I'm just a sucker for the cute.

More topics from this board

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DaBigD - Apr 23, 2009

309 by RGreatDanton »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DaBigD - Apr 30, 2009

301 by wildhood »»
Yesterday, 8:49 AM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 2, 2009

598 by noahren18 »»
Jun 14, 12:20 PM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DaBigD - Apr 16, 2009

262 by j0n194039 »»
May 23, 3:44 PM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

game8910 - Jun 4, 2009

233 by The_Neeko »»
Apr 1, 8:37 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.