Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 21, 2017 5:24 PM

Sep 2015
Well, the thing is it's not as straightforward. If the dub and original are of comparable quality then whatever you watch first will likely sound better than whatever you watch afterwards. For example Kill la Kill, watched the dub first and really liked it. Tried watching the original after and a lot of the voices sounded weird. If I watched the original first it might've been the other way around.

Some of the dubs I liked are below, however I didn't watch both dub and sub with all of them so can't say whether they are actually "better":
Angel Beats!
Cowboy Bebop
Fate/Anything by ufotable (UWB and F/Z at the moment)
Ghost Stories
Gurren Lagann
Kill la Kill
Log Horizon (I think even S2 is dubbed now)
Mob Psycho 100
Mushishi
One Punch Man
Panty & Stocking
Steins;Gate
Toradora!

The ones that do stand out are definitely Ghost Stories and Panty & Stocking.
Ghost Stories in original simply sucks because of its writing, can't really fault the VAs. In the dub they rewrote everything and made it so much better.
Panty & Stocking dub is better, because the characters and all the profanities the English language can produce were a match made in heaven.
Sep 21, 2017 5:55 PM
Aug 2011
Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Ghost Stories
Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Sep 21, 2017 5:57 PM
Jul 2017
I would say FMAB for sure. I say this having not watched the sub myself but the English voice actors are so god damn amazing I can't imagine the sub being better. If people say that the sub is better, hell maybe my fifth rewatch will have to be in the sub. Also isn't there some infamous ghost hunting kids anime were the original was trash but then the dub made it awesome because of interpretation.
Sep 21, 2017 11:59 PM

Mar 2014
le_halfhand_easy said:
Every anime with a good dub sounds better dubbed. Easily. Why is this even an argument? Dub in the language most familiar to you is the superior aural option in an audio-visual narrative.
It is an argument because it is only that way "easily" if you're a language imperialist.

If there are two audio tracks in two different languages then I am going to say that the best one is – brace yourself – the best one regardless of language. Whether I understand it or not is of complete irrelevancy.
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 22, 2017 12:03 AM

May 2013
My First Girlfriend is a Gal is hilarious in English. Same with High School DxD and Maken-ki!
Sep 22, 2017 8:04 AM

Jan 2017
Mauric said:
What are some anime that sound better dubbed to you? For me it's probably a few shonen anime. But everything else sounds much better subbed.

Not at all, sub is alot better in my opinion. It was a joke since Avatar:The Last Airbender is American xP
Sep 22, 2017 8:06 AM

Apr 2017
Sep 22, 2017 8:18 AM

Jan 2017
nabongs said:
Valeska68Otaku said:
Avatar:The Last Airbender is better in English. xP

idk if youre being serious or not but ATLA is not an anime..

Yeah I was joking lol. Just some people mistake Avatar for an anime. xD
Sep 24, 2017 5:50 AM

Apr 2016
Valeska68Otaku said:
nabongs said:

idk if youre being serious or not but ATLA is not an anime..

Yeah I was joking lol. Just some people mistake Avatar for an anime. xD

oh alright just making sure lol and true that happens all the time smh
Sep 24, 2017 6:06 AM
Dec 2013
All battle shounens are better dubbed.
Sep 24, 2017 8:32 AM

May 2016
Can't stand dubs for the most part; English VAs tend to overact to a very irritating degree. That said, I've heard that the Cowboy Bebop dub is actually preferred by Watanabe himself, so I guess that would be my answer. Oh yeah, Cromartie High School has a hilarious dub, but I've never seen the subbed version or even the dubbed version in full so take that as you will.
Synoptic93Sep 24, 2017 8:36 AM
Sep 24, 2017 8:33 AM

Jan 2014
Sora no Otoshimono.

The dub is a comedy masterpiece and it just didn't feel as funny as when i tried to rewatch it with subs.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Sep 24, 2017 8:41 AM

Oct 2015
Only series I've seen subbed and dubbed is Code Geass so I cant say if they're better or not, but I do like it when the dub fits the setting better, like 91 Days, Baccano and Black Lagoon for example. If it's set in Japan then I don't bother with the dub.
Sep 24, 2017 8:53 AM

Dec 2016
My list:

Baccano! is better dubbed because of its setting. It is set in America, so many feel it is more fitting.

Black Butler I have heard has a great dub.

Ghost Stories has a gag dub, so can only be watched dubbed.

Many of the awful anime is much more hilarious dubbed - namely Garzey's Wing and Angel Cop, in my experience.
Sep 24, 2017 8:58 AM
May 2015
I watch mostly English dubbed anime but i like subs too Yu Yu Hakusho is much better dubbed i tried watching the Japanese sub once i didn't hate it but wasn't too thrilled by some of the voices for the characters I'll give it another try and others better dubbed Fullmetal Alchemist both versions Black Lagoon Dragon Ball Cowboy Bebop.
Sep 24, 2017 8:59 AM

Jul 2017
Cowboy bebop and School rumble are my favourite/better dubs.
Sep 24, 2017 9:00 AM

Oct 2013
Lucky Star and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Sep 24, 2017 9:05 AM

Feb 2016

Haha,I see what you did here <( ̄︶ ̄)>
Sep 24, 2017 9:11 AM
Apr 2012
I mainly love anime subbed but theres a few rare ones I perfer dubbed some are

Tiger and bunny
Free
Fullmetal Alchemist
Sgt Frog
My bride is a mermaid
Blood blockade battlefront
Fate Zero I love both equally
Sep 24, 2017 9:13 AM

Dec 2008
I tend to agree that dub sucks, but I would make an exception:

Ranma ½
Love hina

Good old school!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7217 by Codric »»
4 minutes ago

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - 22 minutes ago

1 by yuri_pig »»
6 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 3 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

101 by Fyk0 »»
12 minutes ago

» Has anime ruined your perception of 3D Girls?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

15 by Absurdo_N »»
17 minutes ago

» The Pain of Loss; Why Nia's Death Broke Me

DoctorOddball - 19 minutes ago

0 by DoctorOddball »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.