Feb 2, 4:47 AM

Oct 2019
Half Life is 💩💩💩

Feb 5, 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
MAL could be a very good social media
Feb 5, 1:47 PM

Jan 2017
There are 3D chinese anime that are better than some popular 2D anime.
_MazinoFeb 5, 2:07 PM
Feb 16, 6:47 AM

Jun 2021
unlike Depeche Mode themselves, i unironically enjoy their three music videos from A Broken Frame album.
Feb 16, 7:00 AM

Dec 2011
Steins;Gate isn’t even near masterpiece level
Mar 12, 4:28 AM

Feb 2019
Eren did everything wrong.

Mar 26, 12:09 PM

Jul 2023
Conservatives need a safe space too
Jun 10, 11:47 AM

Jun 2021
i always liked the song Rudebox by Robbie Williams, to hell with the music critics. It isn't Old Before I Die, Something Beautiful or Lovelight from the same album, but still.
Jun 10, 12:07 PM

Feb 2020
peaches song from Mario movie is a GOODDAMMMN MASTERPIECE!!!!
Jul 11, 3:37 AM

Jul 2023
Songs with lyrics are overrated and instrumental music is underrated
Jul 11, 3:38 AM

Jan 2024
Giving up is okay...

It's okay if you forget me.

Jul 11, 4:05 AM

Nov 2023
You can't make everyone happy.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Jul 12, 2:34 PM

Jan 2014
sousou no frieren is how you display mellowness and realism in characters the incorrect way. It's extremely robotic and awkward. It fails in both being entertaining, and also in being realistic.

Jul 12, 2:37 PM

Dec 2011
Precure is more fun whenever they have mid season Cures
Jul 12, 2:58 PM

Jul 2023
DoctorWasabi said:
sousou no frieren is how you display mellowness and realism in characters the incorrect way. It's extremely robotic and awkward. It fails in both being entertaining, and also in being realistic.

@DoctorWasabi I feel similar. They just have no feelings/only one feeling cemented into them. Like, almost the whole cast.

Thankfully, when Stark appears around ep 6 it gets a whole lot better. Until that point Frieren and Fern were barely distinguishable. The only difference was that Fern wasn't a sleepy mess.
Jul 12, 3:00 PM

Dec 2011
@DoctorWasabi I do like Frieren but I also think that too.
Jul 12, 3:24 PM

Jan 2014
@tinshard
@MitsukiHimeka

In general I did enjoy my time with sousou no frieren, and it has a lot of components and aspects of what makes a good anime. However imo, anime live and die by it's characters. You could have the most amazing story, immersive worldbuilding, stellar shot design, music design, animation design and etc etc but if I can't get invested into the characters, then that's going to substantially reduce my enjoyment.

Whenever I say this, people get extremely defensive and and a lot say in response: no man it's "realistic", everybody In my life is JUST like the characters. And I'm like

where do you live that people are -___- 99% of the time lol. Even the most reserved introvert I know, has a range of expression.
Jul 12, 3:38 PM

Oct 2010
As someone who agrees with you and yet still enjoyed Frieren immensely, I thought I would share a different perspective.

I completely agree that the characters in Frieren aren't realistic, they fall into certain tropes. Himmel, for instance, is the quintessential hero and never fails to act like that. In reality people are much more ambiguous and complicated than that. However, I also don't think that's what the show was going for. I felt the characters were meant as vehicles to drive home certain sentiments and ideas.

Let's take Frieren, the character. She learned to emotionally distance herself from humans, understandably so given her long lifespan. We know she wasn't always like this through her relationship with her master, but at some point, or perhaps gradually, she learned to detach herself as a self-protective mechanism. I am sure a lot of us can relate to that risk-averse response. It's not easy to initiate conversation with others here, or stepping out of our comfort zone in general. But the series conveys how the pain of loss is worth the joy of connection. The emotional ties and meaningful moments far outweigh the sorrow they might bring, because to be numb is to live dormant.

To me, the series is trying to convey that life isn’t about dodging risks or negative experiences. Frieren’s solitary existence, filled with procrastination and sleep, contrasts sharply with the vibrant life she leads when she's with others. Those journeys and bonds she forms create lasting memories, and show how living means engaging with the world, despite the inevitable heartaches. Even if the characters aren't realistic, I find it succeeds in conveying this message.

I know this all came off a bit tacky but, these are my thoughts off the top of my head. And, of course, it's simply my own interpretation.
Jul 12, 7:10 PM

Jan 2024
1.Slow burn romance manga are great
2.Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! has some of the best action sequences in anime

It's okay if you forget me.

Jul 14, 1:09 PM

Feb 2019
Wished bad habits were easy to break.

Aug 18, 9:53 AM

Jul 2023
"Just replace X with Y and it'll automatically become better" never was a thing
Sep 15, 4:38 AM

May 2016
there's no hot men in jjk
Sep 15, 4:48 AM

Mar 2008
People who like just saying their unpopular opinion out of context are working against themselves in many cases unless it is not actually unpopular. They just like to say it to get attention or make some sort of joke.
Sep 15, 5:55 PM
☆RetroRice☆

Oct 2023
Chicken nuggets disgust me
Pages (113) « First ... « 111 112 [113]

More topics from this board

» Give the user above a significant other from MAL v.12 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Jan 29, 2021

8983 by R-unknown »»
32 seconds ago

» Ridiculously wrong answers to questions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StephanBlackhawk - Aug 9, 2008

5337 by Spunkert »»
1 minute ago

» Say what you LOVE/HATE about the user above you v5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 13, 2021

5471 by MitsukiHimeka »»
3 minutes ago

» Who has the better taste in anime of the 2 users above you? v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Jan 16

271 by Near1267 »»
11 minutes ago

» The Last Person To Post In This Thread Wins!!! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Bee-Sweet - Jun 10

8072 by R-unknown »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.