Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 15, 2016 9:06 PM

Jul 2016
TLDR: When do you find it appropriate to read manga/LN to a series with an anime already released?

I'm a bit new to the manga/LN scene so maybe it's just my personal preference/experience but consuming more than one medium for a series is quite redundant is it not? You're essentially reading/watching something you've already read/watched.

I've played Zelda: Ocarina of Time and am now reading the manga, and it's literally just the story of the game. I was expecting a more in depth telling of the lore behind Zelda but there is not.
Jul 15, 2016 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know. I feel like the novel can end up being the better medium if it's not adapted correctly to screen. Sometimes it can be better adapted to manga than it is adapted to screen. An LN generally, if it ends up with an anime, ends up with a manga as well, whether or not the manga precedes the anime or not is a different matter. The fact is, it's all up to personal choice. From my perspective, certain LNs are actually better than their adaptations end up being, or at least, a portion of them. Now, that's not saying that multiple volumes can't be time consuming to read, but really, in the long run, I'd say that some are worth it, like Toaru (I'm pacing through it slowly right now) and DRRR (paced through most of it that I could find in English years ago, although the last acts were meh to disappointing, to my dismay). Likewise with manga to anime adaptations, the former might end up being better than the latter because an adaptation sucks.

You'd be surprised how many things may be omitted or changed from the source material when something is rewritten for television, doesn't necessarily mean the changes are always worse, but they can end up coming across that way to a lot of people or fans of the original material. Depends on what you like and what you don't.

If you have time, I'd suggest giving some source material a try if you can find it and make time to read it.
Jul 15, 2016 9:26 PM

Jun 2015
Usually the source context is better than the anime equivalent but thats just from personal experience. Animes do take some important content out to make it fit. Usually if something like the Ocarina of time Manga you read is based of the game or an anime it wont have changed much.
Jul 15, 2016 9:46 PM

Jul 2016
clandestine said:
If you have time, I'd suggest giving some source material a try if you can find it and make time to read it.

I feel like it's a shame when an adapted LN source has missing components. I haven't actually read an LN but based off of a prelude of a fan translated LN that I read, it was very hard to follow and read like a script to a movie. Simple statements of actions with no flavour, along with the dialogue. It requires much more effort to get through than any other medium.

I guess a source LN allows content to be pumped out much faster, which is obviously something the industry wants, but it's a shame that that's where we need to go to learn the complete story.

I guess there's no reason to read the manga, LN and watch the anime for a series then. Once you've read the source one adaption would be enough I'd imagine. I might be interested in seeing the other medium but it may be hard to get through since you've seen the material so much. Has anyone ever consumed all 3? What did you think?
LonoJul 15, 2016 10:00 PM
Jul 15, 2016 11:01 PM

Sep 2013
Anime has movement and sound which brings the characters to life.
LN has more details. and if you watched the anime it makes it easier to visualize the characters.
Manga has better art than the anime (usually) and is faster to read than Ln or anime.

Overlord is a great example which you can watch all 3 and feel a similar yet different experience.
Jul 16, 2016 1:49 AM

Jun 2012
Lono said:
I guess there's no reason to read the manga, LN and watch the anime for a series then. Once you've read the source one adaption would be enough I'd imagine. I might be interested in seeing the other medium but it may be hard to get through since you've seen the material so much. Has anyone ever consumed all 3? What did you think?

The only same trait of these 4 medium is its story and characters and the only reason to consume all those 4 is none other than you did enjoy and was eager about watching/reading/playing it with its setting. As my example:

I do like playing DOTA and warcraft but I'm not interested on the heroes' lores so I didn't bother to watch the movie warcraft.
I did enjoy reading Star wars but I wasn't able to like it enough for me to reread it. Same reason that I did not check its movies. It feels like a chore.
I did enjoy watching MKNR and was attracted to it, Then it hits me to want more of it, so I search for its LN for continuation of my bliss, but I still felt it more lacking so I tried reading it in another view point called manga and I plan to buy its game some other day.

And Thats the gist of it, the same or close enough reason why you pick zelda's manga.

PS : Not being able to be impress in medium which is readable-only such as novels or script is another case. So it still all comes down to personal preference. XD
Jul 22, 2016 3:12 AM

Apr 2013
novel is almost always a better medium than anime if the anime was adapted from it.
And manga is most often the case in the same circumstances.
This doesn't work when it's the contrary (IE, the manga/Novel being the adaptation rather than the source) tho.
As a general rule usually "Original material" > "its adaptation in another media".
So I usually read those first, and then enjoy the animated version of that if I'm interested.
Jul 31, 2016 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
Zefyris said:
novel is almost always a better medium than anime if the anime was adapted from it.
And manga is most often the case in the same circumstances.
This doesn't work when it's the contrary (IE, the manga/Novel being the adaptation rather than the source) tho.
As a general rule usually "Original material" > "its adaptation in another media".
So I usually read those first, and then enjoy the animated version of that if I'm interested.

I was also a believer that source>adaptation, I mean it makes sense in theory and in practice its usually true. However i feel like an anime adaptation always has the potential to be better than the source, especially if the source doesn't rely too heavily on internal monologue which is always awkward in anime. The best example I can think of would be boku no hero academia. With the addition of motion, voice acting, and music (dear god the music), it made the high moments hit harder then anything the manga could possibly do, especially in the all might vs nomu fight.

The only think that matters when you watch an adaptation is how much you liked the original. If you really enjoyed it you get excited to find it has an adaptation coming, if not then you can just ignore it.
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.

More topics from this board

» Good manga to read for people starting out

Goblingaming - May 21

9 by Rissio »»
2 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

17 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

» Thoughts on long manga?

Chuckiemuffin - Feb 29

35 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Completed my first LN.

Clannat - Yesterday

3 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 11:21 AM

» Im just gonna say it, Tokyo Ghoul has some of the best art and story in all of manga behind Berserk

NessieMAL - May 24

4 by DaoistFR »»
Yesterday, 8:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.