Forum Settings
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 18, 2016 7:21 AM

Apr 2016
For all those who read the manga already know that the manga is bit different in few perspective from the anime.
In anime it seem to be more of a unrequited love where akari almost forgot takaki in later part and moved on and even in the last scene during the train scene,she act selfish and didn't stopped but in manga we get to find that she really didn't forget him n waited years for takaki but he didn't comeback so she finally decided to move on and even in the second last chapter of manga in the train scene,she really turned back from the other side of the track and talked even for a little and when takaki find that she already moved on and got engaged,he finally decided to move on as well.

So i wonder if the manga is canon or not as it was published 3years later and many people complained about the ending so what if they add this all extra stuff.

What you guys think?which ending you took?
Jun 18, 2016 11:13 AM
Jun 2016
Well the open ending on the manga that takaki might have a happy ending with kanae gives more closure but to be honest, I read the manga, because in the movie i hated the way Takaki acted, but after reading the manga I hated Takaki even more, after knowing Akari actually waited, so it was actually up to takaki to make it work but since he become emo and stupid, he dug his own grave,there are many ways that he can do to make their relationship work, but since he become a shit character well. meh..

Regarding the train scene, I think they did not actually talk(I mean literally) it was more like the internal voices of the characters you know to make the scene more dramatic. I mean seriously how can two people talk when a noisy train is passing by between them and she did not turn back and i doubt if takaki really saw the ring because before he turned back the train is already passing by, so yeah the train scene is symbolic just like in the anime.
Jun 19, 2016 2:13 AM

Apr 2016
I still doubt if the manga is canon or not,what if they add little more stuff just to please the fans who were frustrated with the movie ending as it was released 3years later.
And for train sequence you're right how can they talk through the loud noises of train,it make no sense so manga ending is absurd and can't be real.

For the anime part you just can't blame takaki alone,if you notice last few mins of the then you can see that it was akari who stopped sending letters to him,it means she literally broke up with him.
And second of all she almost forgot him until she find the letter and third if you had loved someone so badly you couldn't have looked happy with another man but for takaki it was akari from the beginning,from school to work all he had in her mind and heart was akari although he had a gf for 3years but he end up breaking up with him.
at one side when akari was building up things and making a new life on the other side takaki was ending his life from inside day by day.
And for train scene,it was really selfish of akari admit it or not.
Takaki said to himself that 'i strongly believe if i turn back she would turn back as well' but in the end it was only takaki at on one side of the track and akari went away.
You can understand from the facial expression of takaki how surprised he was when he saw that akari wasn't waiting on the other side,so he accept the fate,smiled and moved on but i still doubt about the ending what if he was still stuck with the past.

The ending really left us wondering.
Jun 19, 2016 5:03 AM
Jun 2016
I agree that Akari indeed move on with her life, which makes takaki a special case, His level of emotional devotion and commitment to Akari is on another level, realistically if I have that
same level level of commitment to someone I would have done all the things i can do to contact her and say the things i want to say, in the last chapter even Kanae was able to find some information about Tohno and goes to tokyo to find him, that is something Takaki should have done before, I mean he was so passive and did not do anything, sure his emotionally depressed but he was clearly lacking the guts to do things, remember the saying: No guts No Glory, If this things happens to me I can confidently say I would have done better.
Jun 19, 2016 11:56 AM

Apr 2016
*I STILL DOUBT ABOUT MANGA,IF IT'S CANON OR NOT*
But one thing is sure that kanae feelings for takaki was at same level as it was takaki feelings for akari.
When her friend was getting married,having children she was still finding something in her life whereas it was exact opposite for akari and i was really happy to see that takae went to tokyo and was able to meet takaki in the end.
*Although the face wasn't reveal but isn't it suppose to be takaki??*
Couldn't akari have done the same?go and search for him instead of just moving on.
But i still doubt if takaki ended up with takae or not as he was having a gf for three years until he break up with her.
(Literally takaki destroyed his own life as well as three others #justsaying )
And yet again the author left us wondering with such a ending.

I know his character was more of a stupid,coward and some self depressed type of guy but still i just can't make myself to hate him,it's something like that i can feel him through till the end.
R_TFJun 19, 2016 12:15 PM
Jun 19, 2016 1:54 PM
Jun 2016
It is heavily implied that it is takaki that she saw in the park, assuming kanae is really a new comer in Tokyo and she does not know anyone there, if we based on her reactions after seeing the man it was probably takaki, about the part where they get together well that`s up to the readers, I mean who knows what if Takaki and Kanae just talked to have some closure, and then kanae goes back to her town while Takaki reunites with Risa literally anything can happen...

As far as i know the Manga is Canon up to Chapter 10, the additional Chapter 11 is an added twist by the Mangaka and not by Makoto Shinkai, It is the Mangaka`s personal ending to what happened after the train scene, I mean i could do the same thing, I can think what if Akar(because of reawakened feelings maybe?), decided to break up with her fiance after seeing Takaki again and decided to pursue him and bam we got a sudden happy ending, sounds legit right? xD

And I don`t know if you notice both in the anime and this manga, Akari and Takaki apparently ended up on the same town again as adults so it means there gonna be seeing each other often on the streets(maybe) considering they live on that same small part of Tokyo..... Fate is indeed playing with them
LyulkaJun 19, 2016 1:58 PM
Jun 19, 2016 3:00 PM

Apr 2016
Even if it's non-canon,kanae feelings for takaki was strong as F, during the last few min of the film you can see that kanae was shown floating in the sea and staring at the sky with unusual gloomy face and from that you can assume that takaki wasn't the only one who was stuck with the past.
So there was one possibility for shipping of kanae and takaki and this is what Seike Yukiko tried with the last chapter although she added a new character with whom kanae might have a ending as well.

For risa,even though takaki feelings for her wasn't real still he accepted her and spent three years so we might say there was more possibility for them to actual end up together.

And for akari,i doubt if she would break up with her fiance as from the manga we can see that akari wasn't really sure of takaki feelings toward her and she also doubted if takaki still remember her or not.

And for the last chapter it happen one year prior to the train sequence and when takae when to tokyo and called her sister on phone,she said that no one can get in touch with takaki even not his parents but somehow they were able to contact him last year.
So we can be assume that he had finally moved on and now able to live normally.

Every one got different conclusion and this is what should be considering a open ending.

Makoto Shinkai is a genius in sense of marketing tactic,he knew that if it was conclusive ending then people might not care about it anymore and forget it sooner or latter so he tried his best to give the shittest and depressing ending ever and people can remember it forever.
The last few mins (last act) was mess,the paced was really fast with mixed emotion.
I mean only thing people talk about is how tragic and sad it was,i'm no different from them,i do the same as well.
I might have forgot it as another movie if the ending was conclusive.

Although i can't really complain about the animation or music,both surpass my expectation even then and now.

BTW NICE HAVING A CONVO WITH YOU :)
R_TFJun 19, 2016 3:18 PM
Jun 19, 2016 3:45 PM
Jun 2016
Yeah Shinkai is really aiming for the Shock Value and Post Depression after watching the film, the animation is superb and so is the music, my only little problem with the film is they overplayed the drama, it is so obvious that they are trying to ram you with so much drama just to make you cry or depressed which made the story and the execution unrealistic to some people.. hehe

Nice talking to you too....
Jun 20, 2016 3:38 AM

Apr 2016
Although there was plot holes especially in the last arc which was more of downfall but still rest was done perfectly so a whole we can't complain much and for reminder it's almost an decade old,things could've been different if it was released now as shinkai recent works like garden of words,children who chase lost voices is having better conclusive ending (i mean compare to his old works,way better even if it's not a happy ending)
And they published another novel after the manga ,subtitled as "one more side' i'm not sure what it's about but as much i heard the manga tell us more about the feelings of each character which both the manga and anime failed to portray properly.unfortunately it's not translated so it doesn't matter anyway :3

AND

Same here.
Jun 20, 2016 10:34 AM
Jun 2016
Wow, I did not know that there are two versions of the novel, anyway I cant really consider the second novel as Canon though, because it is written by another author which means its an entirely new interpretation of the same story, unlike the first novel that is written by Shinkai and the manga which is just a visualization of the original novel..
Jun 20, 2016 11:35 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah it's just a visualization from different point of view,only thing canon is the movie along with the legit novel by shinkai rest was more of a add on public demand.
Sep 24, 2016 4:04 PM
Jan 2011
I didn't read all the manga. Who is takae?
Sep 25, 2016 2:33 AM

Apr 2016
@xSilicon That surfer girl from arc 2.
Oct 28, 2016 2:02 PM

Jun 2015
R_TF said:
Yeah it's just a visualization from different point of view,only thing canon is the movie along with the legit novel by shinkai rest was more of a add on public demand.

The last chapter(11) isn't canon? Oh... again my heart just broken, how I hate you Shinkai T.T.

I like the Manga with the last (non-canon) chapter [11] anyway. The movie is a hard-touch-heart for my feelings, just listening the end scene with the theme song: One more time. And begin crying like waterfall.

So, there are any difference from the novel?
Oct 28, 2016 2:14 PM

Apr 2016
@Bullblue Not much difference,the ending is fixated.
Oct 28, 2016 2:29 PM

Jun 2015
@R_TF In what form is fixated?
Oct 28, 2016 2:46 PM

Apr 2016
@BullBlue They didn't end up together and moved in their own different path,leaving behind the past.
Till now,it still hurts when akari walked away with that man and Takaki was aimlessly living his life.
Feb 17, 2019 7:56 AM

Jan 2019
I guess seeing the engagement ring on Akari's hand in train scene was more than enough to break my heart.
Mar 30, 2019 5:54 AM
Dec 2018
I think the end in manga is better than in the anime. But even so, in my opinion the ending is not finished.

I read on a website on the internet that Makoto Shinkai said that if he left the ending, the way to viewers was to personally interpret.

Even if it's not wrong, he says that in the end it's actually a happy ending but it's not as easy as in fairy tales.

In my opinion, I think Takaki will be together with Akari. At the end of the anime and manga, takaki seems to have moved on. I want to believe it but it seems like it can't.

Why? because in the story 5 centimeters per second, I think Takaki once tried to forget about Akari (move on), and even he was dating another woman, Risa Mizuno.

And look, in the end he returned to depression and remembered Akari. He dated Risa for 3 years, not a short time. But he broke up and became depressed again.

So at the end of the anime and manga in my opinion, takaki did move on. But in the end he might be reminded and obsessed with akari again. And maybe try to be a relationship with Akari again. Especially now that their distance is no longer too far away. They can meet again at any time.

But certainly not easy, because Akari is married. I hope the ending is happy ending with Takaki and Akari who are finally reunited.
motorcomcomMar 30, 2019 8:05 PM
Oct 11, 2020 12:17 AM
Apr 2020
(First of all sorry for my misspellings because I’m not fluent xD)

So.... My point of view on the manga ending of 5 Centimeters per Second is that Akari DID move on and the regrets of the past was in his smallest form but fading away with the time and on the close future she will definitely turn the once painful memories of Takaki on memories that when she remembers will bring the nostalgic feelings of her first love. And on Takaki point of view the train scene where Takaki and Akari meets but Akari don’t wait or Takaki was the moment when takaki finally decided to move on and just turn it all on good memories, but the scenes of Kanae on the place Takaki used to live we can say that was moments before the train scene where Takaki and Akari meets because when she was in the park sitting there and suddenly someone caught her attention it was sure that was Takaki because she didn’t knew no one on Tokyo and that person was with the same clothes and shoes of Takaki on the train scene so we could say that after Takaki decided to move on he went to the park to change airs but Kanae was already there so eventually Kanae surprised with the presence of Takaki abruptly stand up..... Well this is all the manga told us so what i say happened after is that Kanae and Takaki end up together having that Kanae will be THE person that will make Takaki move like he decided so.

On the last i say that would be cool if had a after story because just now I could think of million of different story’s to the ending of the masterpiece but on the same time it’s cool that Makoto let us wandering around our thoughts of his ending in the anime but I think the manga ending was the thing i was needing to not ruin my night cause it’s just fulfilled all my emptiness around the anime ending having all the thought of what happened after that mysterious encounter of Kanae and Takaki was just so much fun, I think 5 centimeter per second will be among the only ones i enjoyed having the ending not as everyone expected.
Oct 11, 2020 2:20 AM

Apr 2016
Kel0914 said:

So.... My point of view on the manga ending of 5 Centimeters per Second is that Akari DID move on and the regrets of the past was in his smallest form but fading away with the time and on the close future she will definitely turn the once painful memories of Takaki on memories that when she remembers will bring the nostalgic feelings of her first love. And on Takaki point of view the train scene where Takaki and Akari meets but Akari don’t wait or Takaki was the moment when takaki finally decided to move on and just turn it all on good memories, but the scenes of Kanae on the place Takaki used to live we can say that was moments before the train scene where Takaki and Akari meets because when she was in the park sitting there and suddenly someone caught her attention it was sure that was Takaki because she didn’t knew no one on Tokyo and that person was with the same clothes and shoes of Takaki on the train scene so we could say that after Takaki decided to move on he went to the park to change airs but Kanae was already there so eventually Kanae surprised with the presence of Takaki abruptly stand up..... Well this is all the manga told us so what i say happened after is that Kanae and Takaki end up together having that Kanae will be THE person that will make Takaki move like he decided so.

On the last i say that would be cool if had a after story because just now I could think of million of different story’s to the ending of the masterpiece but on the same time it’s cool that Makoto let us wandering around our thoughts of his ending in the anime but I think the manga ending was the thing i was needing to not ruin my night cause it’s just fulfilled all my emptiness around the anime ending having all the thought of what happened after that mysterious encounter of Kanae and Takaki was just so much fun, I think 5 centimeter per second will be among the only ones i enjoyed having the ending not as everyone expected.

after four and a half years, the ending is still so heartbreaking to watch :(
Jan 11, 2021 11:50 AM

Dec 2010
R_TF said:
Kel0914 said:

after four and a half years, the ending is still so heartbreaking to watch :(
I agree... I wish I could unsee it, something I thought of for only a very few shows. And this thread didn't really give me any hope of a *canon* good ending either. Although all things considered, Kanae is the only good thing left from this show anyway, so why not get an alternative story for her (Clannad style)?
May 21, 2021 11:17 PM
May 2021
According to either manga or anime the ending is a open ending,in the anime it shows that akari has left and takaki walks away with smile,many people sayinh that he finally moved on,I don't understand how can anyone feeling change in a second after the train crossing.he is longing for akari for so many years,how can he forgot that in a second,and he was not sure that the in the railway track is akari,he clearly doesn't seen her,he before also tried to forgot akari and has girlfriends,but the longing and love for akari doesn't change,and in other way author showed that akari is only engaged and not married means there is also a possibility to that akari and takaki may be together because they now in a same city and manga it showed that akari written in her letter that she will always love akari despite how far he was and in man ga it showed that when she is in high school she always thought of takaki passing the train station at iwafune and thinks what he is doing ,she also thinks about takaki when she in the train and engaged,it neither clearly mention in the manga or novel the feelings of akari for her fiance,she only said that he is a tolerant and clam person,for this it shows that the feelings that he have for his fiance is not love but his goodness,and she always said she loved takaki,it shows that she still loves takaki and maybe after train passes akari come to takaki running and they end up together forever,because the the feelings takaki has for akari will suddenly not change.
And many people think that takaki and kanae end together,I don't think it will be possible because in the manga last chapter which is not written by original author and not in the original story and only added due to public demands it shows that kanae comes to Tokyo and search for takaki and sit in a park takaki mentioned when they are in a high school and then while she sitting in a beach talking to her sister and her sister gave her the number of takaki parents because her sister worked in the high school where takaki and kanae studied,and then she talked to a boy,her friend who proposed to her,then while talking she saw a certain person passing by and she surprisingly stand,from this the another author showed that the person is takaki or not is not sure,in the end they only show the boots legs of the person,it may not be takaki,even if the boy is takaki and that they will meet,wait but they don't end up together because the author also showed that in the manga that while kanae talking to her friend while shitting in the bench,she said that she will go back to the Island where she lives tonight only,and she likes the sky of that island than the sky in Tokyo,so the author shows that even takaki and kanae meet but for a small and they will say final goodbye or may stay in contact for sometime,but not always because in manga it shows that Kanae's friend said to her in phone that he will work harder to impress her and date her,and kanae not say no,and when her friend said he still had a a change she smiled and said let's see it clearly shown in the manga,so the author shows that kanae and her friend have a future but not takai and Kanas,and it clearly shows that in anime or manga or in novel that takaki never loved kanae and always sees her as a friend,and also it showed in some parts in the novel that takaki wants to know kanae more and be closer but a friend,he never had any other feelings for kanae other than friends,he wants to know more about kanae because she was very nice to her and always waits for him to go home together but due to takaki longing and love for akari he couldn't know her better as a friend and in the manga novel and anime it says that kanae says that takaki never looked at me,so I don't think that the feelings of takaki change suddenly after meeting kanae at tokyo after so many years,i think takai should be very mobed but they will not together as a lovers but as a friends it can be possible,so I think its kanae and takaki final meeting and kanae move on and goes to island and can give a chance to her friend,and kanae and takaki drift apart like 5 cm per sec cherry bloosom.
Actually the last chapter of the Manga where kanae comes to Tokyo is not in the original story and it is not written by the original author makoto shinkai,it is just added by manga artists due to some public demands,so it really not happens,because after ta kaki leaving the island to go to tokyo university Kanae totally dissapers from his life.
And about takaki I think he previously also moved on and have girlfriends and he dated Risa for 3 years but again comes to akari love and longing,I think if they meet again they will together forever,and as I previously said that the train crossing girl is akari or not is not sure,it also mentioned in the novel,so I think takaki and akari will be together if they meet again and novel or manga it not shown that she is married and is only engaged,we don't know know the future and maybe the enagament is broken,and now takaki and akari are in same town so they can meet and end up together,like this way they can lessen their regrets,because they always loved each other if not for their parents jobs they will always be together and never apart,time and distance made them them apart,so if they meet again they never be apart because and love and feelings have for each other will keep them always together.so I think the girl he saw in train crossing is a girl he thinks that askari and thought she moved on to understand his heart,if the girl is really akari she would really stop for takaki because she also loved her soo much and they will meet after the train pass.
OK stop with the serious talk, If I think truely the last part will not happened because when takaki and akari passing the railway how can they not see each other and turn around only after train comes and again how can the train suddenly come after they just passed,maybe the train should hitted them,and they are not running and only slowly walking walking, how it be can possible,the train gates normally closes before 5 minutes before the train coming.thinking that it made me laugh, and there is no way Kanae will come to Tokyo and sit in park when takaki is passing,it just made it typically imaginary things,and if takaki loved akari that much why don't he contact her and how can he date other girls,its just a bullshit.OK so many things are real in this movie like time and distance make us apart and so so many imaginary things like train crossing, Kanae trip to Tokyo and akari and takaki same time train crossing and not seeing each other even they are so close haha.
Okk that was very long and I lastly wish that takaki and akari are always together in their parallel world and never be apart and live happily together forever with each other.so that it will be a very romantic and promising and happy story.
ChinmayeemuniMay 23, 2021 1:22 PM
Apr 14, 2022 7:26 AM

Apr 2021
Akari did NOT wait for Takaki all those years.
She did love him when they were kids but that faded away with time and she finally fell in love with a different guy.
This shows Akari was not a loyal person if we compare her character to Takaki.

And the manga was just fan service after the movie's ending got hatred.
I love Monogatari Series
Apr 17, 2022 11:55 PM
Jan 2021
I think Akari waited for Takaki to make a move, but Akari probably assumed that Takaki moved on first, so she decided to move on too.
Nov 19, 2023 2:43 AM
Nov 2023
Where can I find the source of this ending, as I read manga version they did not speak to each other after the train'd passed

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 6 Discussion

Zinvy - Jul 11, 2011

13 by ku_po_po »»
Nov 8, 2023 2:22 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JK - Aug 1, 2011

59 by Euroqean »»
Oct 14, 2023 8:24 PM

» Can I read this first?

removed-user - Mar 2, 2021

1 by AnzaiJiro »»
Sep 17, 2021 2:48 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 10 Discussion

JK - Jul 27, 2011

22 by Chinmayeemuni »»
May 23, 2021 1:47 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 8 Discussion

Personas - Jul 18, 2011

14 by outolunch »»
May 10, 2020 9:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.