Forum Settings
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 1, 2011 12:16 PM
Dec 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
ouh..
i forgot there was another chapter..
it was nice seeing kanae again, especially 10 years into the future..
the ending.. i wanted to see their faces / reactions..
great chapter..
was expecting more though.. like if they talk, akari and takaki
ended with a cliff hanger..
tag©.androgynous
Aug 1, 2011 12:21 PM

Aug 2010
I was expecting a more concrete ending after reading the Voices of a Distant Star but I guess it was a different mangaka, overall this was a really nice manga.
Aug 1, 2011 12:27 PM

Dec 2010
Wow, load of bullshit.

Nice seeing Kanae and all but what the hell was with the ending?
Aug 1, 2011 1:52 PM

Mar 2008
The chapter was ok, but it was useless.
And why do we even bother with Kanae? She wasn't even important in Toono's life, making this chapter pretty much irrelevant.
Aug 1, 2011 2:16 PM
Jan 2011
Feel the same with JK, the ending was a cliffhanger.
Aug 1, 2011 2:45 PM

Aug 2010
Oh well...I was expecting something totally different. In the end it kind of disappointed me. I might re-watch the movie again after this though...
Aug 1, 2011 6:28 PM
Jul 2009
The ending was almost like chapter 10... except with another girl and positioned oppositely.

Although the ending wasn't much of an ending at all.
Aug 1, 2011 6:34 PM

Dec 2010
Llght said:
The ending was almost like chapter 10... except with another girl and positioned oppositely.

I think that was part of the point.

Like the story pointed out, he left girls feeling the same way he felt
Aug 1, 2011 7:26 PM

Jun 2011
Well this series was pretty good.
though, it's now time for me to start the anime ^_^
Aug 2, 2011 2:15 AM

Jun 2010
Somehow didn't realize the manga adaptation completed, let alone the fact that someone translated, so I read it all in one sitting. Man, do I feel sad all over again.

Anyways, not a bad way to end off/extend the ending, at least it helps makes it a bit less ambiguous than the anime did.
BURSSS BURSSS BURSSS SWAG

-GMCFosho
Aug 2, 2011 2:21 AM

Dec 2010
someone173 said:
Somehow didn't realize the manga adaptation completed, let alone the fact that someone translated, so I read it all in one sitting. Man, do I feel sad all over again.

Anyways, not a bad way to end off/extend the ending, at least it helps makes it a bit less ambiguous than the anime did.
Less ambiguous? It got MORE ambiguous.

Fucking cliffhanger.
Aug 2, 2011 2:52 AM

May 2011
notsureifsrs said:
Llght said:

I think that was part of the point.

Like the story pointed out, he left girls feeling the same way he felt

Yes, exactly this.

notsureifsrs said:
someone173 said:

Less ambiguous? It got MORE ambiguous.

Fucking cliffhanger.

They are talking about Akari and Toono.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Aug 2, 2011 2:59 AM
Sep 2010
somehow this kind of ending were quite a bit depressing....

an open ended story

T_T...

but anyway the story was great
Aug 3, 2011 1:02 AM

Mar 2009
I didn't like the ending..
Aug 4, 2011 8:46 AM

Jan 2011
I was surprise this chapter was available online so fast. Anyway it was not the ending i was expecting, but we can always imagine what can happen next! Kanae looks cute as an adult.

Its a great series i guess..9/10
Sep 3, 2011 6:48 PM

May 2011
what the hell was with the ending?
Sep 3, 2011 6:50 PM

Dec 2010
Explicitz said:
My thoughts exactly.

Well that's also part of the point.
It's not ended. It's only just begun.

With his release from Akari and her release from him, they now have the choice to love who they want.

If it works out or doesn't, that's just how it goes.
Jul 18, 2012 6:26 AM

Feb 2008
notsureifsrs said:
Explicitz said:
My thoughts exactly.

Well that's also part of the point.
It's not ended. It's only just begun.

With his release from Akari and her release from him, they now have the choice to love who they want.

If it works out or doesn't, that's just how it goes.

Like this person said. I just finished yesterday bought the manga at Barnes & Nobles ;D

anyway, I am too lazy to check the parts, but after his breakup with Risa and the couple pages where they both let each other "go" (Akari and Takaki) Takaki says something about the next time he meets someone he will let her in. This is around when he has to accept how alone he really is.

The ending could mean that Akari met Takaki at the end, and Takaki then finally opens to her.
Jan 4, 2013 12:43 PM

Sep 2012
Of course it's him. She doesn't know anyone in Tokyio, so who else could it possibly be?

It basicly ends with Kanae and Takaki meeting again. Which I think is a nice ending. Gives hope.
You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!
Apr 17, 2013 12:46 PM

Jul 2012
Gorgeous series. I liked the manga more than the movie. :3
9.2/10

It was really sad. It made me realize that love isn't just on one person for your entire life.
Apr 27, 2013 3:50 AM

Jan 2013
I like this ending.

Kanae says it better than I can: " Back then, his eyes were on something far away. Is that how I look now? Gazing aimlessly having given up on reaching out for it."

10-years into the future, she's in the same position Takaki was in high school. Despite those feelings, she still reaches out by going to Tokyo. There, she meets him, and having overcome his own ordeals, he's the only one who knows how she really feels and can help her.

I think it's ideal, just not in the traditional sense.
May 24, 2013 9:49 PM

Mar 2013
Why Tohno have to be so indecisive really!? If he still like Akari, just go straightforward and confessed to her already.. By being like this he hurt himself and the other who looked up to him. I also dissapointed to see that tohno didn't make his appearance here and is it really that Kanae meet up with Tohno at the end of the chapter? Should I say? "Aah her one sided love finally bore results" But what about Riyou-kun if he know about this?

For a bittersweet ending this chapter was ok but still.. Maybe I just forcing my ideal on the author and probably he would say to me “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” lol

Jul 6, 2013 9:10 PM
Jul 2018

Stupid ending. I didn't like it.
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?
Jul 6, 2013 9:48 PM

Aug 2009
So many negative reactions towards the manga...
so, i would like to ask, is the manga already end or there are still more chapters to go?
and would u guys please said something about the difference with the anime?
is there is any hope that the manga has a "happier" ending?

since i dont read the manga yet, and the anime shattered my heart to pieces.....<\3
Aug 6, 2013 8:02 AM

Aug 2012
Yeah I'm disappointed with this manga. The movie is much better in my opinion.
Sep 18, 2013 1:01 PM

Aug 2012
Last chapter was meh , I really loved the movie though ..

Super cliffhanger though , dafuq
Sep 21, 2013 5:57 PM

Feb 2013
i like and dislike the manga and anime in the same moment. well it gives me the feeling just a few roamnce anime/ mangas did and still i dislikethe ending :(
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Oct 19, 2013 4:06 AM
Oct 2013
I liked the manga ending better than the movie because it has some sort of closure. I studied literature and one of the first things I learned about writing stories is that there should be closure in the end. In the manga, Kanae and Tohno meet each other in the park after he decided to move on from Akari. This signifies a new beginning .

The Anime left me with pain in my heart.
Oct 24, 2013 5:14 PM

Jul 2012
I was like "NOOOOO OH GOD, DON'T PLAY WITH MY NERVES", fuck, I wanted an ending, not a cliffhanger ;; well, 9/10 I guess
Jan 18, 2014 3:18 PM
Jan 2014
Stupid ending? As far it being titled realistic, it's either romance fans are just ignorant or are just messed up.

It's true you can never have EVERY thing you want, but in this stories case the TWO mains love each other.
NaruHina!!
Jan 18, 2014 3:22 PM
Jan 2014
daichisama said:
Stupid ending? As far it being titled realistic, it's either romance fans are just ignorant or are just messed up.

It's true you can never have EVERY thing you want, but in this stories case the TWO mains love each other.[/q

As i was saying, they love each other. And they never reunite, not even a hello when they passed and looked back. No dialogue. If people consider this realistic, I FUCKING ERGH YOU TO GET THE FUCK OUT OF YOUR MOMS BASEMENT!! Open your mouth.

This story was forced to play with your emotions, and the fucktards who are too emotional consider it real. It's not.
NaruHina!!
Apr 19, 2014 2:44 PM

Jun 2008
I liked the last chapter, when I saw the anime I didn't really care much for Kanae but the manga I found myself liking her a lot.

She was basically Tohno. She could not move on from him just like he could not move on from Akari.

Great manga and great anime. One of my all time favorites.
May 30, 2014 5:20 PM
Jul 2018
I never saw the movie, but I loved this manga. Very beautiful, I actually really liked the ending, too :)
Aug 17, 2014 10:56 PM

Mar 2012
Movie, I really didn't care about any of the characters other than my hatred for the MC. Manga, I actually gave two shits about what the MC did, Risa, and Kanae. It was good to show that Kanae was able to move on after arriving in Tokyo, but I was thinking that she would probably be with MC after a timeskip in second half of the chapter, but I guess not, was just a cliffhanger.

MC's actions still make me want to puke though, if he loved Akari so much in middle/highschool, he could've just taken a train and visited her ffs.

Anyways, manga was pretty good, had more details that explained stuff better, elaborated on Risa's situation more, and the epilogue hinted at a happy ending (since he's moved on from Akari and probably ended up with Kanae).
Aug 23, 2014 2:46 PM

Jan 2014
Brilliant <33
Mar 20, 2015 1:41 PM

Mar 2010
Apr 29, 2015 2:02 AM

Aug 2013
TrashMan said:
Of course it's him. She doesn't know anyone in Tokyio, so who else could it possibly be?

It basicly ends with Kanae and Takaki meeting again. Which I think is a nice ending. Gives hope.

So it is up to reader to decide, how it ended.
I'm satisfied.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 16, 2015 7:05 PM

Jan 2014
The Manga has the best ending of the 3 versions IMO, since the story builds up to Sumida and Tohno seeing each other in the end.
Jul 7, 2015 11:18 AM

Feb 2013
I hate open endings.
Sep 12, 2015 6:45 AM

Apr 2009
Open ending I guess. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2015 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
I already watched the movie adapt 4 years ago. The manga was a lot better than the anime. I cried a lot by reading this.

"One More Time, One More Chance"
Nov 6, 2015 8:01 PM

Jan 2011
Count me in for the what-the-hell-was-with-the-ending team. Kind of dropped the movie because the first 15 minutes kind of bored me (even though I was able to finish anohana and garden of words). It was good but for some reason, it really sucks. Or maybe I wished for a happy ending- maybe I'm hoping for the cliche shit when they meet again and they confess they still love each other (Bokura ga ita?).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down
Jun 20, 2016 9:19 AM

Jan 2013
How people like the manga's ending better than the anime's one is beyond me. Like... tf kinda ending is this? o_O
Jun 20, 2016 3:50 PM

Apr 2016
Tbh both ending sucks,none of the one is conclusive.
Oct 30, 2016 4:07 PM

Apr 2016
Overall, I'd say I like it. This chapter took place 10 years after Kanae graduated from high school, making her 28? It was interesting to see how much time has passed, yet there was so much that remained the same... I think if Takaki and Kanae had a closure years ago, she wouldn't be lingering and perhaps even longing for him. :( But I do like that she decided to go to Tokyo as an attempt to figure herself out. I hope that she and Takaki did talk and managed to move on. But at this point, it seems that talking with Takaki is not key. Kanae did say herself, "I've learned that no matter how far away, if I really go after it, I can find a way to connect," which indicates that she now has more confidence and hope.

The sad reality is that if you stay in the same place forever, you can feel lifeless like there is no goal or nowhere to go. If Kanae does move out of her island, I hope she finds a sense of home.
Cloe900311Oct 30, 2016 4:15 PM
Jun 12, 2017 6:45 AM

Feb 2012
Just finishes rewatching the movie after 8 to 9 years and found out there was manga. Read it and realized it left me wanting for more, like the movie. Damn cliffhanger!

I can't fully grasp Tohno... He loved akari so much, yet he stopped sending her text messages and letters. I mean if I loved someone, I'll still message the person even if he doesn't reply back. At least I know I tried and there is somewhat little closure, instead of regretting that I didn't try hard enough. Sure, distance is a factor but don't stop trying unless you or the other falls out of love. He obviously still loves her but he just stopped trying.

I hope the guy kanae saw is Tohno. Maybe he was too engrossed with Akari in the past that he never realized or appreciate how important Kanae was in his life.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Aug 12, 2017 1:58 AM

Dec 2013
For reference, the anime was ORIGINAL content that came out first in March 2010. The light novel (Nov. 2007) and manga (2010) came out after the anime. I have not read the novel yet, but speaking for the manga, the mangaka is the one responsible for drawing the story. I believe the mangaka did a good job up to Ch. 10 that matched the anime ending, and possibly added the epilouge as their own additional story. This means Ch. 11 might be NOT CANON, or maybe the mangaka adapted from the novel? This part I am unsure of.

Now for the chapter discussion, I felt that Kanae was basically what Akari *would* had been if she actually had the same "earnest feelings" as the MC. The MC loved Akari up until recently while Kanae loved the MC for 10+ years. It's implied that Akari gave up much sooner than the MC, probably in H.S. Although Kanae was just about to give up, looks like the MC and Kanae would end up together by the ending chance encounter. I would like this ending better than one where Kanae ended up with Ryo, but it looks to be an ending open to interpretation.
Feb 20, 2018 2:43 AM

Nov 2017
the ending is alright, so I can assume that kanae will have her happy ending?
Feb 23, 2018 4:49 AM

Jun 2011
Um, okay, I really didn't like the ending. Everybody except Akari ends up happy, and we don't find out if Kanae and Takaki connect? Yes there were many emotional parts in this series (I haven't watched the movie yet), but the bridge scene was what really got to me: Takaki had the chance to find meet Akari again, but even if he took the chance, he'd only be getting in the way of her new marriage and her moving on. Typing this out, and thinking about the story does have me on the verge of tears. I read this in less than a day, but it felt like years, like I grew with them.

What really got to me is that it brings back the memories I have of a girl I was fond of at 12 years old, someone I have never seen in the last decade. I often think about if we could've had a connection or relationship, that there might've been a future for us. Yes, I miss her, and often wonder what she's been up to all these years later. I wish I could meet her again, but at the same time, I know she probably doesn't remember me, and our friendship would never be the same. For all I know, she could be happily married, or raising a family, and being in her life would only interfere in her happiness, same as Takaki choosing to move on from Akari.

This manga...at first read, it might not seem like much, but after thinking it over, it's really personal and emotional to me. I can understand Takaki's viewpoint, but at the same time, Kanae wanted to be his, but he would never get over Akari. What I don't like is that only Akari gets to be happily in love, while Takaki, Akari, and Risa get to be miserably alone. That's not fair!
Mar 5, 2018 4:36 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
TrashMan said:

That is the sole reason why this chapter exists, it was a nice move of the mangaka, since I did like Kanae more with the manga version, and while I still wanted Akari, she had already moved on (T_T).
So Kanae in a sense as far as I see with the manga, can really be a new beggining for Takaki, which helped me disgest the manga abit more vs the anime.

No matter what people say, I still have some complex feelings about Akari, I do understand her, but I also wanted her to wait more, even if unrealistically so.
Honestly seeing her with a ring and another dude is still a shock and closer than I would like to the bad feel NTR gives me. (that highschool boy she married to can go FUCK HIMSELF.)

Overall I still believe this series is too far realistic for my heart to take straigh on, I still love it alot by remaining as grounded as it did, but thank god most of the series arent as realistic/dramatic/depressive as this.
8.9/10
PlaycoolMar 5, 2018 4:39 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Ending of manga vs anime?

R_TF - Jun 18, 2016

25 by hoangviet81193 »»
Nov 19, 2023 2:43 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 6 Discussion

Zinvy - Jul 11, 2011

13 by ku_po_po »»
Nov 8, 2023 2:22 PM

» Can I read this first?

removed-user - Mar 2, 2021

1 by AnzaiJiro »»
Sep 17, 2021 2:48 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 10 Discussion

JK - Jul 27, 2011

22 by Chinmayeemuni »»
May 23, 2021 1:47 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 8 Discussion

Personas - Jul 18, 2011

14 by outolunch »»
May 10, 2020 9:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.