Forum Settings
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2011 3:54 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This is really a problem, not seeing what the consequences when you start loving someone, but for not loving that person would be harder.
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Jul 11, 2011 3:58 PM

Aug 2008
Now that was sad... poor Kanae-chan.... Even thought she finally ended being able to get what she wanted to do, stand up and surf coolly on a nice wave, she discovered that Toono is not for her. Somehow she realised and understood that she's not for him.

Unfortunately she realised it and made herself less, much less than she really is! She's not really that bad, she's cute, but she still thinks that she's not worth for Toono.... Well it's true that Toono might not be the guy for her but she still gave up too early in my opinion... I could feel her sadness... And Toono's kindness and well, certainly his feelings for her... but definitely he feels distant...

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2011 4:44 PM

Dec 2010
Wow, what a bunch of dumb bastards.

The guy is chicken faggot. If you like someone do shit about it. He's just sitting in this town twiddling his thumbs. Then this surfer chick won't say anything. She doesn't know why this guy is how he is. She should find out.

If she knew he was hung up about something so childish she could tell him to try, and if he fails, he can just come back.

The guy ruined his life waiting for that other chick. He could have gotten a good job and better education.
Jul 12, 2011 12:26 AM

Jun 2010
Hmm should this manga be classified as tragedy then? Needless suffering =(
Jul 12, 2011 4:07 AM

Mar 2008
Didn't care for Kanae in the movie, still don't care for her in the manga.
Jul 12, 2011 4:32 AM

May 2011
This was the first chapter I didn't cry for.Maybe it's this long break or something. :/
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Aug 2, 2011 7:48 PM

Mar 2009
It must be hard for her.
Dec 4, 2012 4:51 AM

Feb 2012
I would say what is keeping Tohno back isn’t love for his childhood friend, but the place. He is stuck in a place he never intended to go to and doesn’t intend to come back to. He knows that in a few years the island will be a memory and he is perfectly fine with that. It looks like he has acquaintances, but he doesn’t appear to have any real friends. He is completely detached.

It was in fact that detachment that attracted Kanae to him; she could sense from the very beginning that he was going definitely going somewhere, which is something none of the other boys showed. Kanae’s problem is that she doesn’t want to leave the island. She may be restless, but she is still content with her small world. The only thing she lacks is Tohno’s love. The only way they could ever be together is that one of them will have to change in a significant way. Because Tohno’s so detached, Kanae would have to be the one to change but she is currently unable to do so.
Aug 23, 2014 1:27 PM

Jan 2014
AlexSadist-sama said:
It must be hard for her.
She's not alone. Things
like that happen to pretty
much everyone... But it's
still hard to bear that T^T
Jul 6, 2015 8:30 PM

Feb 2013
At least she understood.
Nov 8, 2019 7:27 PM

Feb 2019
Still as sad as the movie. Wish that Kanae would at least express her feelings though. This way, Toono doesn't even KNOW she loves him, doesn't and won't ever realise those feelings. So Kanae just suffers and cries alone and keeps all those feelings inside her.

Kanae watching the TV was really something though. For a moment, it seemed like she was okay. But I guess that was her way of trying to cope and forget about what happened. Then she cried afterwards in bed (or futon). And the pain will still be there when she wakes up and will always be there until she can move on, if ever.

Toono is so detached that he doesn't even sense ANYTHING about Kanae's feelings, making it seem to an outsider that he's just dense.
Mar 26, 2020 2:34 AM

Aug 2018
Poor kanae-chan..
May 10, 2020 9:01 AM

Mar 2020
I can sympathize with Kanae-chan. It is truly heartbreaking to realize you will never be with the person you love
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Nov 8, 2023 2:22 PM

Nov 2016
It's all just so emo.

More topics from this board

» Ending of manga vs anime?

R_TF - Jun 18, 2016

25 by hoangviet81193 »»
Nov 19, 2023 2:43 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JK - Aug 1, 2011

59 by Euroqean »»
Oct 14, 2023 8:24 PM

» Can I read this first?

removed-user - Mar 2, 2021

1 by AnzaiJiro »»
Sep 17, 2021 2:48 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 10 Discussion

JK - Jul 27, 2011

22 by Chinmayeemuni »»
May 23, 2021 1:47 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 8 Discussion

Personas - Jul 18, 2011

14 by outolunch »»
May 10, 2020 9:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.