New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 15, 2015 8:44 AM
Apr 2013
Yes, the internet is the new books/entertainment
May 15, 2015 11:13 AM

Jan 2009
MidnightLPA said:
Both use the other to work effectively. However, remember which one is primary and which one is the "supplement". You won't find me in the first seat belt-less car.
Airbag has been being pretty much Basic Stuff since Decades ago... A more fitting Example would be a Collision Avoidance System.

But even that wouldn't be really fitting, since it's more than possible that the Majority of Customers will prefer to use digital Variants, so the digital "supplement" will become the major if not the only Distribution Medium at least for Entertainment.
Take Pictures for Example. How many of them are still printed if it's not about some (very) important Event like a Wedding?

Scientific Works are much more likely to be kept stored physically for as long as Humans live, though.
NoboruMay 15, 2015 12:20 PM
May 15, 2015 12:03 PM

Jul 2012
OneGuy said:
I still don't get the argument that archiving a book in paper form is better than digital form. How is paper more durable? Wouldn't it be better to carve it in stone or engrave it on metal plates? Oops, that would be taking a step backwards. Wouldn't wanna to do that. I'm not saying paper books aren't enjoyable, they're just not as practical anymore, including as a means of archiving.

Archiving books has a long tradition. Libraries have been around for who knows how long, the first (modern) national archive was founded in France after the great revolution, and China has an uninterrupted tradition of historical writing spanning many millenniums. The art of storing and preserving books in ideal conditions is very advanced by now, while digital archiving is still taking its first steps. While many old documents are being digitized for more convenient use during research, as far as I know a reliable method for long-term storing of data has not been developed yet due to factors such as data rot.

Then again most of you seem to be talking exclusively about novels so my point is pretty inconsequential.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
May 15, 2015 12:05 PM

May 2014
Kinkara said:
I hope not.

Well I guess most of the people here share this view, and as they all do minority probably won't win.
May 15, 2015 12:17 PM

Apr 2014
Nope,I don't think so and I hope it won't. Touching a real book feels different than touching a screen and there's that feeling that only an actual book could give. Like slowly turning it when you see you're only pages away from the end. Plus, an actual book's cover looks more attractive for me. It's better to pass something tangible to the next generation, I think.
May 15, 2015 12:23 PM

Feb 2011
u mean those useless paper things that old ppl look at?
hmm maybe this .pdf called Books: A Long Dead and Forgotten Media Better Left in the Past can tell me more about them
May 17, 2015 5:22 PM

Aug 2014
I really hope when it's 2050 we still have books, but technology is progressing so fast and kids these days do nothing but play with their electronics. I mean 10 year olds have iphones, and here I am 18 years old with a really crappy phone. But yeah let's hope books are still popular in 2050
Thinking of you, wherever you are.
May 17, 2015 5:24 PM

Dec 2013
hopefully
BAN ME
May 17, 2015 8:33 PM

Nov 2013
Muan142 said:
I turn your attention to the japanese kanji and to the keyboard at your fingertips. Both are highly inefficient relics of a past age, but we still use them because a certain prestige is attached to them and it's what people are used to. Books are going nowhere. Everyone will still be buying them a hundred years from now

How is kanji a "highly inefficient relic of a past age" at all?

If you want manga/doujins translated, PM me and if it looks interesting I'll do it.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What are you insecure about the most?

Ejrodiew - Apr 30

38 by LenRea »»
20 minutes ago

» Many COVID experts in Japan harassed after speaking to media, survey shows

Meusnier - May 22

16 by SuperAdventure »»
1 hour ago

» inactive users

zaako - 9 hours ago

10 by Order-Sol »»
1 hour ago

» Cleaning your room hurts the economy

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

27 by Kwanthemaster »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » is going back in time possible?

FruitPunchBaka - Today

11 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.