Forum Settings
Forums

(Good) Anime that were overshadowed by the other one

New
Mar 26, 2015 4:51 PM

Jan 2012
It just sad to see some of the good or at least promising shows got overshadowed by the ones you don't actually like. I know this is a very subjective topic but from my observation here's some of my favorite shows that were overshadowed by the anime that I hates or at least I liked less. As a note I refraining myself from listing Spring 2007 shows due to too many contenders to begin with.

The show: Muteki Kanban Musume
Pemiered in : Summer 2006
Overshadowed by: Ouran High School Host Club

How can nobody actually saw this show? It had good action, comedy, characters and slice-of-life elements(I'm looking at you Lucky*Star) but how can this one failed? First it was shown by the time when Ouran was shown and most people watch it instead and more importantly it's main theme. While something like Ranma 1/2 still have fans when MKM was shown but Ranma already a relic to begin with. 1980's formula no longer works in mid-2000's anymore. Ouran in other hand is a reverse harem show which is a fresh new genre to both Japanese and non-Japanese audiences and it mercilessly stole most of the MKM's audiences. This is one of many reasons I hate Ouran other than unlikeable, unsympathetic female lead(unlike MKM).

The show: Taishou Yakyuu Musume
Premiered in: Summer 2009
Overshadowed by: Bakemonogatari

TYM already doomed from the start. First it had to compete with overly-hyped and overly-exposed Bakemonogatari from very beginning of the show. Second its theme. Most people are fooled into thinking it going to be "K-On! with baseball" which is wrong to begin with. Third its casts. Lack of male characters meaning there will be no women watching it. Men who aren't moe and slice-of-life fans also avoiding it as well. I would call TYM as an "unluckiest anime" on the planet but that doesn't mean it going to be a bad thing. You can be a (very good kind of) hipster by locking yourself in your room/cabin and watch this show from beginning to end.

The show: Aoi Hana
Premiered in: Summer 2009
Overshadowed by: Bakemonogatari

TYM isn't the only victim of Bakemonogatari's hype machines. AH also the poor casualty in Summer 2009 rating wars. besides that AH is a yuri(lesbian) love story which not going to get any audiences to begin with. Women are obviously avoiding it and watch something like Miracle Train and such. It not going to get love from its intended marketing audiences, the men either as it is not as sexy and fanservice-y as most other yuri shows such as Strawberry Panic and Yuru Yuri for examples. Instead its a very plot-driven show despite its length. As fan like myself, I had to accept the terrible truth that rest of its source material will not going to be animated soon.
---
Mar 26, 2015 4:55 PM

Feb 2013
did people really care about anime seasons back in 06? 0o
Mar 26, 2015 5:00 PM

May 2013
Haven't watched the other two, but Bakemonogatari is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy better than aoi hana. I don't see any reason why it should be below it.
Plus I don't think aoi hana was overshadowed by it, I don't think you can even compare them, they are too different. It was just an average show, and that is why people don't really talk about it.
Mar 26, 2015 5:08 PM

Jun 2014
I've heard of "Ramen Fighter Miki."

It looks pretty good. Perhaps I'll pick up the DVDs some time.

Mar 26, 2015 5:11 PM

Jan 2012
Comic_Sans said:
The Anime Discussion Forum isn't your blog

This isn't a blog. Yes I'm being ignorant and so are you.

@Working_Designs:
Go ahead and give it a try. If you are a fan of action-comedy shows like Ranma 1/2, you'll loved it. The only complain you might have is lack of sequels, which is not a problem to begin with.
---
Mar 26, 2015 7:17 PM

Jun 2014
Never heard of any of these so they must all be crap.
Mar 26, 2015 8:33 PM

Aug 2009
Okay, maybe, was not being 'overshadowed' per say.
As said above, the internet wasn't so fast and easily accessible for anime seasons.
Ouran High School Host Club was liscensed by funimation and translated into english dubbed and english subbed on dvd, of course it would be fonded over by the foreigners who only really had buying funi's dvds. And also, ramen fighter miku was crap. Dropped it like a hot cake. o-o

With Taishou Yakyuu Musume, I wouldn't of bothered watching it myself, and many other anime fans feel the same way because A, ALL GIRLS, B, SPORTS. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably watch it now because I do like baseball and its short, but its definitely not a top prority and wouldn't of been then, especially if it went up against bakamonogatari.

Aoi Hana, same thing, I'd rather not watch 'shoujo-ai'. I except the LGBTA (I added the a for asexual because I am one but heteromantic), but i'm not going out my way to watch girls kissing. It goes against my tastes. I mean, maybe i'll try it and like it. I've had Aoi Hana on my list before. I might try it soon.

retrogamer32x said:
romagia said:
did people really care about anime seasons back in 06? 0o

No, not really. Broadband existed, but it would take the pirates awhile to even get raws circulated, let alone fansubs done. Watching seasonal anime the way people do now wasn't really possible then.

Yeah, lol I remember looking high and low through the internet for naruto episodes back then, and same with sailor moon. I watched a lot of veoh. Haha. Good times. ^^

More topics from this board

» 6+ Rating or Higher Anime that you don't remember

JaaShooUhh - 9 hours ago

3 by xthewarwithinx »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime fans ,how do u feel about slice of life anime???

Animystics - Yesterday

32 by jhzs0029 »»
11 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

13 by Kwanthemaster »»
47 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Jun 11

10 by Zarutaku »»
54 minutes ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - Jun 13

18 by APolygons2 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.