Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which do you prefer?
Only subs - original audio is best.
45.9%
Mostly subbed, some dubbed.
29.7%
Only dubbed - I like it in my native language.
2.3%
Mostly dubbed, some subbed.
8.0%
Both subbed and dubbed equally.
11.5%
Raw.
2.6%
2,442 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 61 62 [63]
Apr 16, 2011 1:36 AM

Jun 2008
Mow123 said:
ok so Iam done, to summarize your logic, if somebody asked you to pass them the pan you would pass them bread lol.

Haha, good one there.
Apr 16, 2011 7:21 AM

Jul 2009
Mow123 said:
tigermaskV said:
King Koopa
is Daimao

Daimao is his title not his name.
btw I wasn't talking about king koopa I was talking about koopa troopa.
ok so Iam done, to summarize your logic, if somebody asked you to pass them the pan you would pass them bread lol.
If sombody said they watch anime you would assume that means american stuff too, LOL. anime=!アニメ koopa=!クッパ  pan=! パン 

btw could you please answer the question I have asked about everytime.
explain to me why somebody who "knows all about this" did not know that the popular way to spell pokemon is spelled ポケモン. not only that but also nobody calls it pocket monsters in english so why would you use the more obscure way that is only valid in japanese in english?

You're not getting that answer. He can't even fathom why Voltron is more popular than Golion (should be very obvious why).
Apr 16, 2011 8:54 AM
Mar 2011
thats Bcause the Only Place Who Called it Golion was Japan Both Hong Kong and Philippines called it Volton but had and Eng Verosn og the Proper Golion op as it OP
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 18, 2011 3:20 AM
Nov 2008
Redfoxoffire said:

Odd...Is there any way to find out for sure if it was or wasn't ever used without actually watching all the episodes? I know I heard it from somewhere, and I haven't watched a minute of DBZ Kai.

Goku calling himself 'Son Goku' is Kai's dub was a pretty big thing.
Apr 18, 2011 4:04 AM

Jan 2011
I usually prefer watching Anime subbed with their original audio since it generally sounds better, not to mention the music.

Another reason is that some Anime that are Dub have many bits censored and replaced with other things *cough* 4kids *cough*. Fine examples include: One Piece, replacing guns with water guns and Yugioh 5Ds, where the whole plot is completely different to the subbed version.

Although, sometimes after finishing a great Anime, I check out how the Dub sounds like and judge if I'd want to re-watch the series fully dubbed. But seriously, Subs are better than Dub. However, I've heard people say that the Dub version of Spice and Wolf is better than the Sub, which is interesting. Hmm...
Apr 18, 2011 5:10 AM
Dec 2009
I used to watched dubs when I first started watching anime.

Now it's just subs.

English voices mostly eritate me.

Though every now and then ill check out an ep in dub for fun to see how bad it is.

Hotd dub made me want to kill my self in the first 2 minutes.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Apr 18, 2011 5:53 AM

Apr 2011
Subbed, because I can learn some Japanese language from that. Haha~ xD
Apr 18, 2011 11:17 AM

Mar 2007
Onibokusu said:

Well, Sitha, a good start would be trying to make an on-topic post, eh?

Ah, sorry for trying to put in a few words to support having a discussion, I shall immediately cast away such foolish notions, apologies for any inconvenience or unpleasant feelings this caused you. Let's get back on track with the show.

lolz, dubz suck, sub ftw
Apr 18, 2011 11:36 PM

Apr 2011
*Warning long post*

I will have to go against the general population here and say I prefer dubs better. I am well aware of the fact that subs are much more accurate and that dubs are usually edited, but regardless I prefer dubs. I believe most people here were born in English-speaking societies and when you are born in an English-speaking society you are likely to become accustomed to the dialect. In my case I was born and raised in America. Why is that important? It is because America is a English-speaking country. People there would probably be unfamiliar to Japanese dialect. That is why we become uncomfortable when a Japanese person speaks English. When we listen to a person speak English we say "Oh that is normal" but when we hear a person speak something like Spanish we say "Why do they pronounce the letters so strangely?"
Truthfully I like watching subbed anime as I do not have to strain my ears to hear what they are saying. But in those cases the Japanese voices just flows through head and becomes useless noises. For that reason it is extremely unlikely that I learn Japanese from watching anime, just small phrases at best. However when I listen to dub I find myself to be more easily connected to the voices.
If I were to ask everyone in this site what is their favorite language most people will say English. That is because it is a language we use all the time even now. Without the subtitles most people will turn to dub instead of raw. They are both beautiful languages but it will become more beautiful if you know how to use it and listen to it.
Note- If I had to chose I would choose subbed anime with dubbed voices. Why not have a mix of both.
MantisShrimpApr 18, 2011 11:43 PM
"Reality is a story the minds tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic fringes"
Apr 18, 2011 11:43 PM

Nov 2010
I don't know, but when Japanese names are pronounced with an English accent it doesn't seem right.
Apr 18, 2011 11:45 PM

Jul 2010
daBoss said:
I don't know, but when Japanese names are pronounced with an English accent it doesn't seem right.
The opposite also holds true.
Apr 18, 2011 11:47 PM

Apr 2011
But not all animes use Japanese names. Imagine how the Japanese will pronounce "Philip".

Edit: ah you beat me to it.
"Reality is a story the minds tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic fringes"
Apr 18, 2011 11:52 PM

Nov 2010
Divinations said:
But not all animes use Japanese names. Imagine how the Japanese will pronounce "Philip".

Well that too, but I mean like when dubs say it. It sounds real long and slow to me. I don't know how to explain it. :(
Apr 19, 2011 12:14 AM

Aug 2009
Divinations said:

Yeah, something like Firippu :D
Apr 19, 2011 12:20 AM

Oct 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Jrittmayer said:
tigermaskV said:
Ousto said:
They changed the names of Digimon because it's a KIDS SHOW! In order for their names to be easy to say/remember, they changed their name slightly. They did a good job with the dub names, they're either shortened or left the same. It's not that big of a deal, even if they completely change the names like in Pokemon.

And since it's a kids show, the kids watching it don't give a shit if their original name is some pun. Do you think that American kids are going to understand that "Hikari" means light? No. Complain about name changing when they do it to the newest licensed series on DVD, not when they change the names for a children's show that aired 10 years ago. Some people are just ridiculous holding grudges for things like that.

So your saying you Yank Kids are Dumb

all Japanese Dubs of Us Cartoons keep the Names

and always Have

So Just to Point that Out

im not Holding Grudges Its Disrespect to the Original Manga Ka

Okay, I'm sorry but you're really starting to piss me off, its (and that comma... OMG!) one thing to have your own opinion (punctuation missing) but its another thing to fanatically defend points that are misstated, wrong or just completely made up. You make some of the craziest claims I've seen in a while and are bashing anything non-japan. (Oh this sentence is so gramatically wrong.) You claim you're in your early 20's (punctuation) yet have seen a year and a half worth of anime, anime thats crazy obscure and most people haven't watched, you claim to work for Bandai in the UK which would imply some sort of literacy in the English language which from looking at all your posts, is obviously lacking. (Amazing grammar -- just amazing: nice conjunction skills. Oh and the irony, oh the irony. I really get the feeling your ('nough said?) trolling, and I can't be the only one who thinks this.

You're not. I may be a pro sub guy, but this is ridiculous.

You guys are all bad for debating this in the first place. La~la~la~la~la: I once upon a time participated in debates that weren't unalike this (in fact the exact same one too) and have realised how stupid (pointless) it was. Hope the same thing will happen to you.
YanofliesApr 19, 2011 12:29 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2011 12:28 AM

Oct 2009
Fucking manually adding bold tags, the message edittor window is way, way too small!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2011 12:30 AM
Nov 2008
DoubleDango said:

You guys are all bad for debating this in the first place. La~la~la~la~la: I once upon a time participated in debates that weren't unalike this (in fact the exact same one too) and have realised how stupid (pointless) it was. Hope the same thing will happen to you.

That's only because you weren't very good at arguing your points. I remember, because I was here when you did actively participate in this thread.
Apr 19, 2011 12:32 AM

Oct 2009
:(

Well, it doesn't really matter how good you are at debating/arguing/getting your point across really. I don't really remember much of our debates but I do remember the fact that: at the end of the day (respectively), I still thought my own points were superior. ;)
YanofliesApr 19, 2011 12:37 AM
Apr 19, 2011 6:11 AM
Apr 2011
I'd rather watch English dubbed because reading is for manga.
I would like to watch my anime and not read it. Besides, many English dubs these days are pretty good. Lucky Star and Clannad for example were good English dubbed, even the Japanese praised it.

Also I think it's weird for anime set in America like Chrono Crusade or set in London like Hellsing to be in Japanese. Likewise, Read or Die was much better dubbed in English than in Japanese.

There are some I like better subtitled though, like Cardcaptor Sakura. The dubbed one was edited like hell.
Apr 19, 2011 1:09 PM

Aug 2007
Subs. Some dubs are decent or good. Very rarely is one every great. A dub for me is only good for one thing: seeing if its worth downloading. Recovering from surgery left me a lot of time to watch the Funimation channel. I'm sure when I watch them subbed I'll like the seiyuu better.
Apr 19, 2011 1:25 PM
Apr 2011
Mostly subbed, occasionally dubbed. I saw Death Note dubbed (during it's full run on Adult Swim), originally tried to see Code Geass dubbed (same channel), and didn't have a problem with it. I also tried to see Bleach dubbed (also Adult Swim... should really check other channels), and again didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Cowboy Bebop's dub wasn't bad, either. Neither was Neon Genesis Evangelion, although I didn't like Misato's voice actor at first, it was fine later on.

The largest problem is when accents or voices don't seem to match the character; the largest instance is when it comes to ages. In subs, pre-18 characters seem to sound more likely closer to the age. In dubs, the same characters seem to sound significantly older than they should. Haibane Renmei somehow averted this with Rakka surprisingly well.
Apr 20, 2011 12:55 AM

Sep 2010
I don't really mind either. I'd usually pick dubs over subs if they're available because I'm just way too lazy to read and would rather look at what's happening. Not all dubs are unbearable either. Frankly though some subtitles are a crime to the English language. >.>
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Apr 20, 2011 9:36 AM

Oct 2009
I prefer dubbed if a dubbed version is a available simply because I'm too lazy to read subs. XD I don't do fandubs though, only official ones. I'll watch some anime fansubbed if they aren't available officially dubbed or subbed,but I'll never watched them fadubbed. Can't stand hearing a bunch of 12 year old girls with little to no voice acting talent playing all the main characters, even the adult males, which is why I'm not a fan of fandubs.
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
Apr 20, 2011 9:49 AM

Dec 2010
see when im in the mood to watch anime but not in the mood to keep my eyes on the screen the entire time I choose dub. Subs are better though when your hooked on one and you dont want a shity dub to ruin the experience.

I really hate though when people try to fan dub. Its so retarded. I saw this guy on youtube that had the entire series of pandora hearts fan dubed.
Apr 20, 2011 11:40 AM

Apr 2010
Ummm, well, I personally prefer subs, because:
  • I don't have 100-100 hearing. And I find it annoying to not understand what people are saying
  • Unlike many countries, not every is dubbed, If to be more correct, only little children's programs are dubbed. Even there are progrmas in the spokem language is subtitles. So I'm used to subtitles, so it doesn't bother me (Unlike some of you said).
  • You can always look in the dictionary. =]
  • Well, American don't really know to make cute voices. (In my opinion.) So when it comes to charcter that should sound cute, well, it doesn't sound that well.

You can agree or disagree, but these my reasons.

Apr 20, 2011 11:52 AM
Mar 2011
I almost always prefer subs over dubs. For most shows, when I try to watch the dubbed version I cringe. Alot of times the voice acting isn't that bad, but their voice just doesn't fit the character they are trying to portray. I also think its hilarious when they sound twice as old as the character they are acting.

The only shows I also like dubbed are:
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Apr 23, 2011 4:02 AM

Mar 2010
For me, subs only. I like both Thai subs and English subs (prefer English more 'cause most of them are better but I like Thai sub if it's good enough)

Japanese voice ators/actresses are about 50% of anime, another 50% is whatever. That's what I think. For example, if Nagi, Shana, Louise, Taiga, and Aria aren't voice acted by Kugimiya Rie, how are they gonna be famous? Also Thai dubs suck, they made Yui from K-On don't sound cute. I hate them :)
RythmeApr 23, 2011 4:05 AM

Now Watching

原神 : 800993232

SV-Mirage

Apr 23, 2011 7:05 AM

Dec 2009
Most of the animes I like sub. But I like Pokemon in English dub more.

Apr 29, 2011 5:36 PM
May 2010
Both, i like sub/dub equally. :)
Apr 29, 2011 6:05 PM

Nov 2009
Dual-language. Best of both worlds.
Apr 29, 2011 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
zjz05 said:
Subs only

DUBS ARE FOR FAGS

Only faggots likes dub

dubs should never exist

pretty much
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Apr 29, 2011 11:38 PM

Apr 2010
zjz05 said:
Subs only

DUBS ARE FOR FAGS

Only faggots likes dub

dubs should never exist

Bravo sir... a true master of the written word
Apr 30, 2011 2:55 AM

Sep 2009
I have noticed that quite a lot is often lost in the dub audio track. Stuff like ambient conversations and such.
Apr 30, 2011 3:19 AM

Dec 2010
I watch everything subbed, but I perfer FMA english dubbed x)
GikkuApr 30, 2011 3:29 AM

Apr 30, 2011 4:15 AM

Nov 2007
And that's enough of that. See http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=294747 for further discussion.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 61 62 [63]

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9120 by appledude1221 »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime ops you never skip

Mattenan - 39 minutes ago

3 by FanofAction »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Choose one and give your reason for doing so. [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - Today

8 by TsutanaiFuun »»
43 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7196 by Hikinekomori »»
49 minutes ago

» How to deal with anime backlog??

Xenofight - Yesterday

23 by Timeline_man »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.