Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 20, 2014 12:48 PM

Dec 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Year_One#Live-action_film

The dvd is referred to as an ova as far as I can tell. Makes no sense and I can barely understand the sentence though.
I shall destroy and hate mankind
May 20, 2014 12:56 PM
Apr 2014
girlyman said:

The dvd is referred to as an ova as far as I can tell. Makes no sense and I can barely understand the sentence though.

OVAs are just that: original video animations. As far as the term being applied to Western Animation, it isn't applied often. All of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies are technically OVAs (i.e. Justice League: Doom, The Flashpoint Paradox, Batman: Under the Red Hood), but they're not really regarded as such. They're usually regarded as just plain-old straight-to-video films.
-
May 20, 2014 1:06 PM
Oct 2010
Speaking of this, everyone should watch under the red hood. It's really awesome.
May 20, 2014 1:14 PM

Aug 2013
girlyman said:

The DC direct to DVD animated movies are basically OVAs because they are mainly created to be distributed on DVD and Blu-ray. They hardly ever air on tv and even if they do it's after they have been released on DVD and Blu ray. The only ones I have seen on Cartoon Network are Green Lantern First Flight and Superman Doomsday.
May 20, 2014 1:29 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
The issue here is the way it is is used in the article doesn't really make sense.

The movie premiered at Comic-Con, with OVA available in October.

Note, when this sentence states movie and OVA it is referring to the same film. Why would it even use OVA in this sentence and not DVD?
May 20, 2014 1:34 PM

Aug 2013
Brand said:
The issue here is the way it is is used in the article doesn't really make sense.

The movie premiered at Comic-Con, with OVA available in October.

Note, when this sentence states movie and OVA it is referring to the same film. Why would it even use OVA in this sentence and not DVD?
It's because it will not only be released on DVD it will also be released on Blu ray. OVA refers to any home - video format.
May 20, 2014 1:38 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
It would still make more sense to say:
The movie premiered at Comic-Con, and will be available on DVD and BD in October.

Instead of:
The movie premiered at Comic-Con, with original video animation available in October.

That makes it sound like "the movie" and "the animation" are two different things even though they are talking about the same film.
May 20, 2014 1:43 PM

Aug 2013
Brand said:
It would still make more sense to say:
The movie premiered at Comic-Con, and will be available on DVD and BD in October.

Instead of:
The movie premiered at Comic-Con, with original video animation available in October.

That makes it sound like "the movie" and "the animation" are two different things even though they are talking about the same film.
I guess it would of been easier to put it that way. You have to remember though that there are different types of OVAs. There are OVAs that are movies and there are OVAs that are series.
May 20, 2014 2:51 PM

Apr 2012
Thread moved
Jun 10, 2014 1:08 PM

Dec 2013
Oh well this thread is dead anyway
I shall destroy and hate mankind

More topics from this board

» My Critiquing Tolkien & It Isn't About Aragorn's Tax Policy

kenshinotaku9998 - 11 hours ago

4 by Theo1899 »»
27 minutes ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

33 by JohnnySuitcase »»
51 minutes ago

» Your Top 3 non-anime movies

60D - Mar 10, 2021

28 by JohnnySuitcase »»
1 hour ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7757 by AdamBirch »»
3 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3488 by Zedlin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.